Closed A World of Words [Hirem]

Hirem finds someone to review his work at one of the few times Jek is in control.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A World of Words [Hirem]

Postby Ashar on July 8th, 2014, 5:20 pm

Jek

Jek was glad that his words were provoking deep thought from his new human friend, but the amount of conflict that was displayed showed just how dogmatic Hirem had been until now. To totally devote oneself to one’s religion was a truly remarkable feat, and it was due to this phenomenon that the Akalaks had pushed themselves as far as they had. The never say die mindset that the Akalaks adhered to was the main contributor to the ability of each one to excel in their chosen fields. Each difficult task was not a chore to struggle through but a challenge to overcome, and by doing so an Akalak would prove himself to be greater. It dominated their militarisation, their crafts, and their entire culture.

Yet by that same dogmatic mindset came the dismissal of anyone who did not tackle a challenge head on. There was no denying Hirem’s pure faith in his god, and Jek hoped it would take the human far. However, he knew that some - many - in Riverfall would call it weakness to put oneself entirely within their god’s hands and leave their fate within the power of a deity. Some would call it hiding behind one’s faith, others would call it religious laziness, and while both of these were possible outcomes of Hirem’s dogma Hirem himself, decidedly, had not fallen into either trap. There were similar pitfalls in the Akalak dogma as well - glory-seekers, violence for the sake of violence, troublemakers for the sake of overcoming the consequences. It was this evaluation of both individual people and cultures that informed Jek’s opinion: there was no correct road, because every way of life had its traps. Jek only hoped that when the time came, he would be able to convince his newfound friend of this.

If I were to put it that way... Jek thought. Well, that would sound arrogant, as if my way of thinking were right. It isn’t, but how can I say that? It is merely the most open-minded that I’ve come across, the result of reading hundreds of different stories about different kinds of people. Hopefully it will lead me to even greater stories of people in the real world, for I hope to meet many. If I can accept them all as valid, then that is the first step to learning about them.

In any event, Jek waited patiently for Hirem to finish chewing on the words given to him. The Akalak had not expected his words to have such a thought-provoking effect on his newfound friend, but he was glad that it did. Perhaps it would lead to greater thinking between the two in the future.

"Trust me... the act will be hard in the beginning, but once your soul begins to emerge onto the page, you will not be able to stop." Hirem’s dismissal of Jek’s inexperience brought both comfort and melancholy to his mind. At the very least Hirem would not be too picky with the words presented to him. However, Jek knew all too well about the soul escaping on to the page and refusing to stop. His father had begun to pour out his soul nearly twenty years ago, and hadn’t stopped since. Not even to congratulate his sons.

"My friend, I am interested in what you have to say about the gods, even if the words - even if they offend me!" It was difficult not to smile at Hirem’s - maybe inappropriate - enthusiasm. Still, Jek knew now was not the time to interrupt. "You have a brilliant mind, Jek. It is a crime to keep it to yourself."

For a moment, Jek chewed his lip thoughtfully, then grinned. It is always the little things that have a profound effect. The careless, small remarks that can change lives as much as sweeping statements. I really should learn the art of rhetoric. Hirem’s words, though obviously meant to do nothing but praise, struck Jek as amusing with its unintended double-entendre. The human had now idea just how right he was, that Jek’s mind was hidden from the world, but he was talking to the wrong soul about it. Jek chuckled, shaking his head. Ah, Hirem, my friend. If only you knew. For a moment, he considered telling Hirem about Ashar, but then decided against it. Such information, the kind that could shatter worlds and concepts, would be better experienced than informed.

"I will make this easier upon you. I will meet you here in fourteen days, instead of seven. That way, you will have enough time to write whatever it is you wish to write. And in return I will perform a favour for you, to the best of my ability. Ask, and you shall be rewarded." Hirem’s words were thoughtful, kind, and sincere. While Jek had no method of knowing how much speaking Hirem had done, he seemed to have a knack for it.

A favor, huh? Jek mused, taking the offered inkpot and its contents and looking at them both, as if the answer were held somewhere within. Truth be told, the Akalak already had an idea of the nature of the favor he was going to ask, though it was a rather broad and sweeping idea. The difficulty would come not from asking it of Hirem, but providing an avenue down which it could be achieved. Truly, I am fortunate to have met this man today. Any number of different circumstances could have led to us never encountering each other in this place, and it is a testament to us both the amount of impact we have had on each other. He is clearly still struggling to fulfill his purpose, and I am still trying to find mine. Perhaps we can help each other in this respect, if our relationship will allow it. We will see in fourteen days, I suppose. We will see...

From the way Hirem buckled his pack, it was clear that he had other places to be. And why would he not? Riverfall was a large and beautiful city, with plenty to see and do for visitors and kept safe by warriors such as Jek’s light brother. It would not do to simply let the man leave though, so Jek rose to his full towering height before Hirem and offered one of his large meaty hands - courtesy of Ashar.

"It was honorable to meet you, Hirem of the tents of Alachi," Jek said, shaking the human’s hand. Their eyes would meet - Jek would make sure of it - and he would nod into Hirem’s gaze. "You have given me many things in these last few chimes. The opportunity to read your work, the grace of your history and mind, and the gift of writing - which I will no doubt enjoy greatly. When next we meet, I hope to return the favor."

Then the giant purple man returned to his seat, rolling his shoulders and looking up at the leaving human. He smiled warmly, wholly looking forward to the next time he would see this Eyktolian, when he hoped to ask so much more and give so much in return. "Until next time, my friend."

OOCI'm thinking your post, then mine to wrap it up. I've got a little more to say, but I think this thread is pretty much done. I enjoyed threading with you, hope to do it again sometime. :D
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A World of Words [Hirem]

Postby Hirem on July 9th, 2014, 10:40 pm

OOC :
Indeed! I'll let you know when my summer's cooled down enough for another one-on-one thread.

As Hirem prepared to leave the table, he found that his gaze was constantly returning to the little blank book that was now resting on Jek's lap. It was less a determined stare, and more a furtive glance shot frequently at the small gift, his eyes cloudy with contemplation. The book was nothing truly significant... it was small, leather-bound, containing only one hundred pages of thin paper sheets. That number was huge compared to what Hirem had experienced in his youth among the Benshira tents, but it had only taken a few chimes in Riverfall to dispel the notion that one hundred pages was a substantial amount to work with. One hundred pages, each blank but brimming with potential, each one to be cherished when the quill touches the paper and gives it new life. One hundred pages, and a story to be devoted to each individual sheet. For the nomadic pilgrim, unused to material gifts and possessions, the book meant more to him than he could possibly fathom. He felt as if the book was a child, so innocent in the ways of the world, but filled with the power to change lives... or, at least, the way one thought. It was his duty to protect and nurture that child.

And here he was, giving it away so casually to a friend that he had just met. The blank book was a birthday present, the first in a lifetime, purchased to commemorate the beginning of this thirtieth year - why was he leaving the book with Jek? For one stupid moment, the Benshira had the urge to reach out, claim the book, and slide it back into his rucksack, but he immediately suppressed that urge. What, have I suddenly become a wailing child, demanding his toys back? Hirem did not feel jealousy at the thought of Jek getting to hold onto something he owned, but rather felt that he had to protect the book's significance at all costs. He felt as if there was a link - similar to the silver Chavi - connecting his soul to that book, that font through which his innermost thoughts and desires could be expressed with the written word. Would it mean the same to him, he wondered, if others had a chance to access its secrets and leave their mark upon the book? Would he still feel personally connected? What if Jek shows the story to others and begins spreading my story about? Would others seek to find me and understand my secrets? Nothing would terrify Hirem more, but he trusted Jek to keep his personal details personal.

As he gave more thought to the idea of letting the book slip away from him and pass, temporarily, into the hands of others, the more the Benshira grew to accept the sacrifice. Though his experience with writing was brief, Hirem had already begun to grasp the immensely satisfying sense of freedom that could emerge from the art, and while he desperately desired to continue it himself, he understood that others also deserved to let their minds be known. What honest truths might be unleashed from the willing minds, if they get a chance to impress themselves upon my book? What understandings might be made about the person if words were shared and spread between kindred spirits?... For that was the true power of the written word, Hirem realized; it was a language that spoke, not just to the mind, but to the heart, challenging others to respond without pretense or falsity. It connected man to man and woman to woman with an undeniable thread, that pored deeply into them and pulled out their otherwise guarded secrets. In a way, it was a craft blessed by Yahal himself, for writing allowed for pure and untainted connection between otherwise disparate minds. Thinking of the act in a religious sense made Hirem more eager to surrender his book into Jek's watchful care. Besides, I am able to write in other mediums besides that book.

Shaking the Akalak's proffered hand firmly, the Benshira bowed his head and smiled quietly. "Faith be with you, Jek of Riverfall. May your journey prove short and the path stretch long before you. Remember," he began, placing a hand on Jek's shoulder and staring intently into his eyes."Failure can only be had if you do not write anything at all. Feel no pressure about appeasing me or appeasing your gods, Jek. Create what you wish to create, as that is all I can ask of you. I await our next meeting. Until the next time." With that, Hirem bundled up his rucksack one last time, nodded farewell, and then departed the table that they shared. His head was held high, his smile wide, and he walked with... not purpose, but relief. For he knew that, if nothing else, he had made a new friend this evening with the powerful gift of words.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

A World of Words [Hirem]

Postby Ashar on July 20th, 2014, 6:18 am

Jek

It was rather peculiar to Jek he had experienced such a random encounter as meeting Hirem just now. In less than a bell they'd talked philosophy, writing, religion, and traveling all without ever getting up from their seats. It was such an everyday occurrence to meet someone new and talk to them, learn about them, that to anyone else they might have barely remembered the occasion.

What struck Jek so profoundly was that this was him who was having this chance encounter. Not his light brother, he himself was meeting Hirem, talking to him and learning about him. A repressed soul who got only a pathetic amount of time in his own body managed to have an everyday encounter. What was most striking to him was that Hirem didn't even notice. The world wasn't thrown into disarray because a dark brother lived a day as a normal Akalak could. In fact, nothing was really different at all except that the Cavalry Kuvay'Nas was missing a rider today. Jek had long thought it unfair that he had been relegated to the secondary soul in his own body, and after witnessing how normal his day had been he grew even more frustrated. Especially knowing that Ashar lacked any appreciation for days he considered boring.

Come now, mustn't let that ruin my day,, Jek thought to himself, smiling at Hirem as he made his way through the Valkalah Library. It was hard to believe, but Jek had indeed made a friend, his first friend. It was even more amazing because Hirem had no idea Ashar even existed. To think, if things had only gone differently...

Jek picked up his book on Riverian plants once more and continued reading his eyes scanning the pages. To think he'd begun the day with no desire except to waste it reading. Now, he had his own challenge something to do with his next open day. Perhaps he was making this into a bigger deal than he was supposed to, as Hirem wasn't even aware of his dominant brother, but it really was very novel to actually have something to strive towards. As ashamed as he was to admit it, even Jek had relegated himself to the status of a secondary soul. Perhaps it was time to change that.

He owed a lot to Hirem, who had shared his world and given Jek more than the human could ever understand. It was the first world Jek was able to peek into, and it left him hungry for more. And now he had the chance to share his own world with his words. The feeling was ecstatic beyond belief. So Jek read, just as he always had, but this time with a challenge to overcome. A purpose for his life.

You're still reading about flowers?
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A World of Words [Hirem]

Postby Ragdoll on September 10th, 2014, 6:45 pm

A Pawful of Goodies!

Ashar :
Skills
Skill Points
Reading 2
Observation 4
Socialization 4

Lores

• Plant: Mooneyes
  • Plant: Rose
  • Fruit: Rose Hips
  • Hirem's Story
  • God: Yahal
  • Hirem's Brand of Faith
  • What Wysar Wants
  • Hirem's Challenge

Loot

Hirem's book. Better write in it and give it back soon!

Comments

I have to admit, I didn't know much about Jek when I started reading this thread. I learned a lot today! Thanks for the peek inside his mind.

Hirem :
Skills
Skill Points
Meditation 1
Writing 2
Socialization 3

Lores

• Asking for Criticism
  • The Akalak Spirit
  • What Yahal Demands
  • God: Wysar
  • Wysar: Wants Dedication, Not Faith
  • Religion: Not Always Black and White
  • Jek's Philosophy
  • Faith in Others

Comments

I got to see another side of Hirem today. Thanks for the enjoyable read!

Don't forget to edit your grading request! Though I try my hardest to award you what you deserve, I may occasionally mess things up! If there's something you'd like to discuss about your grade, then please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I'll be happy to work things out with you.

Riverfall - Behind the Waterfall - Mod Request Thread - Codex - OOC
Because of RL issues and a lack of energy that I can devote to Mizahar, I've decided to step down as an AS. I'm sorry to leave so suddenly, but it's truly been fun while it lasted. Hopefully I can come back some day.
Ragdoll
To err is human; to forgive is feline.

Words: 53704
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2014, 2:19 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous