Slippery slope [Aoren]

Our hero learns of balance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Markus Andres on August 30th, 2014, 2:07 pm

19th-Summer-514

Markus gaze turned to the sky. Hardly could he believe what he saw. It finally ceased raining! The drops from heaven had pelted the city for days without end and much of the uncobbled roads were more mud than road. The harbour had been halfway washed away and the knight could only imagine what the pass looked like under these circumstances. A mess undoubtedly. S'Essy and he had been lucky to come through the pass before the rain had begun in earnest. The sergeant felt the sun grace his face for the first time in forever. Scattered rays broke the clouds. He was hardly the only one who felt the joy of the rain having ceased. Native Zeltivans looked outside, others let a minor cheer be heard.

The knight had no particular purpose today. Get out of the room he had rented. Find a ship later perhaps that might bring them to Sunberth. But the rain had kept most captains in the harbour until things quieted down. That might be possible now. Assuming the harbour still stood. The lightly armed and armoured knight made his way towards the harbour. Close to the wall there was a less muddy path by virtue of hundreds upon hundreds of feet having stamped and packed the ground tight enough that the ground was only very slippery and did only leave the boots caked in mud. But it did not go higher than the ankles. Markus sloshed through the mud in the direction of the harbour. Hoping he'd find a captain he could discuss the possibilities of travel arrangements.

Easier said than done.

His balance was far from perfect and many times he had to reach out and grab on to a windowstill or a doorframe to keep himself from simply falling over and dirtying his clothes. There had been enough of that the day prior. The knight carried only his blades with him. The smaller one by his right hip, the larger on the left. He had never liked to go unarmed when in the city. Even in Syliras, felt naked without some sort of protective weapon. Another step and Markus felt his balance shift, right heel slide forward. Balance utterly lost as he fell back. Left arm shot out. Managed to grab onto a firm wooden frame of a door. Fingers tried to dig into the wood to secure his grip. With the odd centre of balance shifted to his hand – his fall was stopped. He felt the strain as most of his weight was unevenly distributed to his left arm. There was an accelerated heave of his breath as he tried to recover his senses and pull himself to his feet without slipping once again.

"SHYKE!"
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Aoren on August 31st, 2014, 2:19 am

The rains had finally stopped. The ever present hum of drops falling against the tiles of the ceiling fading as the morning came. No sooner had the rain stopped than Aoren had awoken to the cold embrace of reality. It had been an eventful morning. Hai, it had been an eventful night. It was one he would never forget but for all of its hardships he was still grateful for them. They had lead him to answers that had haunted his soul for the whole of his life. In a way he was both healed and scarred by the revelations of the night prior and the early morning that followed. As it stood he needed some time to think. Though he’d been hesitant to do it he left his canine companion behind.

Aizen.

The man who had rescued him from the clutches of a hateful and unforgiving ghost that turned out to be far more mournful and grief stricken than what the first encounter lead him to believe. He was the man who looked like him in every physical aspect of the word “identical”. He was, without a shadow of a doubt, Aoren’s brother. There simply was no confusing the matter at hand. There was no denying it. There was no getting around it.

The thought brought Aoren some measure of warmth. Pulling himself from his thoughts he found himself trudging his way through the muck of Zeltiva’s unpaved road. Not far off he recognized the World’s End Grotto. It was a structure that made Aoren’s brow furrow with dark thoughts. It was in that building that Aoren had launched an investigation against a crazed murderer known only as The Mage Silencer. The matter was still on-going and one that was taking up a great deal of his time in conjunction with his duties as a student and a Healer for the city. Lightly he hopped over a hole in the ground.

One of his boots slipped on the mud slick ground fortunately however Aoren reacted quickly. He bent the knee of the opposite leg allowing the momentum of the fall to carry him downward. Instead of fighting the fall he let it happen. Swinging his arms back he landed on the palms of his hands managing to prop the rest of his body up. Digging the heels of his boots into the mud he pushed himself upward immediately afterwards jumping back up into an upright position. Instead of dirty, muddy clothes all he was left with were muddy palms.

SHYKE!

Aoren looked over in time to see another man lose his balance. He caught himself only because he managed to grasp a hold of a windowsill. Aoren arched an eyebrow as the man struggled to compose himself. Deciding that aiding another to recover from their troubles would be a good distraction from his thoughts, Aoren made his way over to the blonde haired lightly armed man. As he walked he wiped his hands off on his trousers. At that point in time he wasn’t exactly concerned with maintaining the most pristine appearance. He could always wash up with a bath later.

Need a hand?” Stepping up to the blonde haired man Aoren felt the ground beneath him slide just a little. Instead of resisting the motion he moved his body with it so that he wouldn’t be set off balance. The result was him sliding over the surface of the mud a little to the right. When he came to a stop Aoren was toward the man’s front. Digging a heel into the dirt and bracing himself Aoren extended a hand to the awkwardly positioned man.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Markus Andres on September 5th, 2014, 1:48 am

The knight prided himself on his well trained body and the inherent strength in those muscles, but he felt the strain of this awkward position clearly in muscles rarely used, or rather, rarely used in that particular manner. The tough part was to get back on his feet without the one foot slipping and leaving him with only a single hand on the window sill. He had to rethink his own balance. Heave himself up would only throw him off balance in a different manner and surrender what little balance remained. There were quite a few things he considered, but none worked. Then a voice broke in and he slowly turned his head to look at the newcomer. As the man spoke, he showed Markus how a Zeltivan moved on mud, how a real Zeltivan moved. One with proper sea legs and ability to handle the surface moving underneath them. The years of warriors instinct in him noticed the subtle changes in balance. Most noticeable was what he didn't do. Didn't fight the way it carried him, instead let it gently guide him. Markus was impressed enough to, for a brief moment before his arm started to protest quite adamantly to the extended pressure he was putting upon it. He would have to know the secret of this man. Markus was not one for subtle changes outside of combat. In combat he felt like a different beast, more in tune with his body. Knowing the stances for which strikes. Outside of combat, that man disappeared and less grace arrived.

"By the gods, yes!" He blurted out in response once he gathered his wits about him again. "Remind me to get you a kelp beer or two."

Markus offered his free arm. The one that had been flailing uselessly about seeking something to hold on to. Now it remained calm and extended to the stranger with a heart of gold. No doubt that heart grew a few carats purer at the promise of a reward. It was Zeltiva, a city ruled by merchants and greed. No doubt the man expected a reward in either case. He was not one to disappoint such notions. Markus preferred to offer honey rather than vinegar, the carrot and not the stick. He would cooperate fully with the stranger the best he could. Try and stabilise himself and not bring the stranger down with him should their combined efforts prove futile to their briefly joint goal of bringing 230 pounds of knight to his feet. He bend his leg a little. Lowered his bottom half, but thus bringing his upper body at a steeper angle, less distance to heave himself when the time came. Though that did shift the balance and more importantly, the strain to his knee which he would have to endure as the stranger helped him to his feet.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Aoren on September 7th, 2014, 3:39 am

Aoren arched an eyebrow slightly at the man’s exclamation. The opalescent mark of Rak’keli on his face shifted with the movement. Nevertheless Aoren gave him a friendly smile and a shake of his head.

That won’t be necessary. I’m not all that fond of the stuff.” In the short time that Aoren had been in Zeltiva he had been graced with the misfortune of imbibing in Kelp beer only a few times. Suffice it to say he wasn’t too keen on increasing the regularity with which he consumed the drink. Digging his heel into the ground he made sure he had his proper footing before reaching out to grasp a hold of the awkwardly positioned man. Clasping his hand Aoren braced himself and gave a good steady yank doing his best to disperse the offset of balance as much as he could.

Aoren felt the ground slide a little bit beneath his feet but he was able to balance himself enough to prevent from falling over. He bent his knees, braced his free hand on the wall of the nearby building, and absorbed the movement by pressing down with his toes instead of digging in with his heels. The result was that the toe of his rear boot dug into the ground even further serving to anchor his foot. When he was certain the other man was in a sure and upright position Aoren released his hand giving him an appraising look.

You might want to consider carrying a pouch of sand or sawdust with you in the future. It might help to keep you from sliding around on the mud so much.” Aoren had once heard a few old women babble on about such a trick. He couldn’t be sure it would work but it would be worth a shot! Besides, his newfound companion didn’t seem to be all that aware of his footing. Either that or he just didn’t want to ruin his clothes by falling on his rump in the mud.

I should get going. Unless you happen to know a good place to clear one’s head or could direct me to a sparring ring?” He gave the man a half-hearted smile before running a hand through his hair. That was definitely something Aoren could use at that moment. Given everything that had transpired in the last day alone he needed to work off some stress. The best way to do that was to either meditate or refine his skills in hand to hand combat. Seeing as he was not a Zeltivan native there were still several nooks and crannies that he was seeking to discover in the city. While his statement had been made partially in jest the other half hoped the man might actually know of a good place to do either of those activities.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Markus Andres on October 11th, 2014, 9:33 am

"Hmm, really? At least someone else in this city has some sense."

Markus found his centre of gravity as the helpful stranger assisted him back on his feet. The man was a great anchor as he got up. Using him to avoid covering himself with mud and giving him and S'Essy more house work to do in cleaning his clothes. The man was steadfast and Markus was soon back on both feet spread out at shoulder length as he was very conscious about his own balance. One hand still clutching the window ledge to further ensure his stability. The first thing Markus noticed was obviously the mark of Rak'keli the man sported. The man, already in good standing through his helpful nature, leaped several ranks in Markus' respect for him. "Ah, thank you all the same, my friend. Thank you for the assistance." The man had some curious advice, a bag of sand or sawdust. Markus chuckled a little, thinking the man was kidding. The idea seemed a little excessive to the sergeant. To always carry around a pouch of sawdust or sand when venturing out.

"With the weather we've seen recently I should be carrying a sack of sawdust." Markus threw a glance at the man's legs and how secure he stood. He had also noticed how he had stood clear of any building and only used his body as counterweight to Markus when he had helped him up. Markus also noticed he was actually shorter than this fellow, one of the rare times another human was taller than he. But he enjoyed talking directly to someone rather than, as usual, talking down to them. "Hmm, a place to spar..." Markus rubbed his chin with his free hand. Pondered the question as he honestly did not know an answer. The wave guard ought to have the facilities for such training, but they were probably not public. He could ask Pulren, but he had put enough on that man's plate already.

"While I don't know any within the city, I'd wager you could find a suitable location outside the city limits? Near the pass where there is a open enough space for training." Markus paused ever so slightly as he contemplated the next request. The man intrigued him. And his sure footing likewise. "I guess straight forward and blunt way of saying this, could you spare a moment or two and show me some tricks to staying upright in this footing?" It would be a godsend if he could learn to move swiftly and safely on a muddy surface. "In return I can give you a sparring partner for today." Another pause and a rare grin appeared on his cheeks. "At least I know I'll be in good care with a follower of Rak'keli, blessed be the goddess." He murmured afterwards respectfully.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Aoren on October 26th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Aoren gave a small smirk at the man’s joke. The weather didn’t entirely agree with Aoren. He found thunderstorms brought a host of unpleasant memories. The echo of some of those nightmares still weighed heavy on his mind. He considered the location that the man had in mind then gave a nod.

Straightforward is often the best way to about most things in life.” He arched an eyebrow considering the locations the blonde offered. With a nod he agreed.

I could do that. I cannot promise that I am the best teacher in the whole of the world but I will do my best to show you.” He chuckled thinking back on the days when he was first learning how to find balance. They had been days filled with lots of bumps, sprained muscles and even a few bouts on unconsciousness. He was happy to have become something of an accomplished acrobat though there were still a great many things that he could learn. Extending a hand to the man he gave him a smile.

I would be happy to get a sparring partner for a short while. Goddess knows, it would be a good break from my studies.” Offering a hand to the man Aoren gave him a friendly smile.

Call me Aoren.” With a firm shake he would gesture to the road that lead back to the Mirahil Pass or at least in its general direction. The ground was still quite wet but fortunately it seemed the slippery spots were easily avoidable. At least in most cases.

Forgive me, you’re not exactly like the typical Zeltivan that I’ve met during my time here.” He gave Markus a sidelong glance. Tall, broad shouldered, generally healthy appearance with a strong and straightforward gait. If Aoren didn’t know any better he would have pegged the man beside him for a knight if not a knight then he was certainly someone with military experience. Everything about the man bespoke of discipline. Having lived in Syliras for over twenty years he had seen many people who carried themselves in such a manner.

The train of thought lead Aoren to wonder what his life might have been like if he had signed up with the knighthood as he’d once intended. When Ileera had disappeared he seriously considered joining the Knighthood as a squire. He’d gone so far as to walk to the recruitment office. He’d stood outside the office for several hours doing nothing but staring at the men and women who went in and came out. He hadn’t joined obviously but it was something that he still thought about now and then.

You don’t have to say if you do not wish to. I myself am not a Zeltivan native. I grew up in Syliras.” Aoren knew that Zeltiva shared something of a small political relationship with Syliras. At least there was trade between the two cities. Beyond that he didn’t really know the general opinion of the city as it occurred to the populace.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Markus Andres on November 10th, 2014, 6:44 am

"True." It was a simple response, but he had nothing to add to the strangers conclusion that straight forward was the best option. Other than nod gently.

The knight shrugged when the stranger explained he wasn't the best teacher around. Markus had seen many teachers and many different styles, including his own style which was still a jumbled mess of approaches. Ball could have used a more structured training program and higher focus on discipline, but Markus had been ill chosen for that particular patronage. He pushed those thoughts away and focused on the man before him. His teacher for the day. Hopefully he would make Markus a better warrior and in return Markus would make him a better warrior as well. It was a fair trade and the man was already shaping out to be a fine addition to Markus' long list of friendly acquaintances. It was unfortunate that his time in Zeltiva was to be very limited. First chance he got to leave he'd be out of there. Which made the possibilities for further training limited. Once they got started he had to ask for advice for possible ways to further improve without direct supervision.

"I take it you're a scholar then? Medicine?" He asked curiously. For if he was reading to become a doctor perhaps he and S'Essy should have a chat and see if the two could learn from one another. Another train of thoughts he had to push from the forefront of his mind as the other extended his hand in a greeting. His own free hand extended and grasped his firmly and shook it. The other said much more than usual in a greeting. His name, Aoren, another oddball name, but he was used to peculiar names and as they came Aoren wasn't so terrible. He examined the man. He didn't recognize him at all. It wasn't so strange, Syliras had a sea of people and he couldn't remember them all.

"I was born here in Zeltiva." There was a smirk as he changed his accent to his much more natural Syliran one. "But like you I grew up in Syliras. I am sergeant knight Markus Andres. Always good to meet a fellow Syliran." The smirk widened a little. "What made you come here to Zeltiva, if you don't mind me asking?" He gestured toward a path away from there. Indicating they should get going. They could talk and walk. Or in Markus' case slip'n'slide their way to the edge of the city.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Slippery slope [Aoren]

Postby Aoren on November 11th, 2014, 4:58 pm

You could say that.” Aoren was just beginning to come to terms with the fact that he was no longer what one would consider a simple man. He had simple wishes. He conducted his daily life simply but he himself was not. His grasp on a number of things had increased a significant amount since coming to Zeltiva. It was a decision he was happy with.

Medicine, Healing, that is my life. It is my duty and I do it with great happiness. Rak’keli blessed me and I am compelled to use her gift to the best of my ability.” Aoren gestured around them in a vague yet meaningful display. He then clasped his hands behind his back as they continued to walk toward the edge of the city.

But the world is my calling. Or more specifically understanding what makes it work the way it does.” It was a generalized way to describe his desire to understand Djed on its finest level. Since his first lesson with Professor Agatha Memry he had become infatuated with it. It wasn’t so much the magic itself that interested him, it was understanding why it did what it did that was the subject of his fascination. Power was not something that drove Aoren. It was the understanding of that power that pushed him toward magic. He didn’t delve any further into the subject than that. It was obvious to anyone learned in social nuances that he wasn’t telling Markus something. Since coming to Zeltiva Aoren had learned to keep a tighter rein on who he divulged his abilities to and who he didn’t. Upon learning that Markus was indeed a knight, Aoren bowed his head humbly.

Thank you for what you do, Ser.” Aoren felt that not enough people actually thanked the knights for the duty they performed. It was not always glamorous and he knew that there were those who felt oppressed by them. He also knew that there were those who downright hated the Knighthood and all that it stood for. He was not one of those people. At Markus’s question he answered simply.

My time in Syliras drew to a close.” Aoren nodded toward a dirt path leading off the main road they were walking on. It wasn’t exactly a smooth path. There were puddles and slick spots of mud but they were avoided easily enough. As they walked he provided a more in-depth answer for the knight.

The family I had there is no more and I found myself lost. I considered joining the Knighthood but I never did. I heard of Zeltiva and the knowledge that could be found here. So I packed my things and left. But, I feel as though my time here is drawing to a close as well. I can’t put my finger on it but it’s just a feeling.” They arrived at a relatively dry patch of dead grass on the outskirts of a line of houses. It wasn’t what Aoren would have called an ideal place to work but it would do. By dry, it simply wasn’t sopping wet and provided enough stable ground where Aoren could teach. Aoren shrugged out of his travel cloak folding it in half then laying it across a nearby fencepost. He wore only he leather vest beneath the cloak revealing broad shoulders and a respectably muscular physique that was trim without being bulky. A scholar Aoren might have been but he was also a warrior in his own right. He couldn’t boast the level of proficiency of a knight but he wasn’t without his own defenses.

Aoren walked a few paces away from Markus to the further edge of the patch. He rolled his shoulders reaching up to rub at the muscles at the base of his neck.

So, tell me what it is that you are looking to do? The best way I can teach is by showing you and explaining the steps from there.” Aoren turned on a heel doing an about-face. He took hold of his right elbow bringing his arm across his chest adding pressure until he felt a slight strain on the muscles. He didn’t want to injure himself by not being properly warmed up to the task so it was only natural he do some stretching. He repeated the motion with his left arm then brought both arms up over his head lacing his fingers together and pushing skyward.

Do you just want to be able to stay on your feet? Do you want to be able to perform maneuvers in mid-air? I can show you the basics of how to do both if you prefer.” Aoren wasn’t a master of all things acrobatic but he knew and was capable of doing the basics of most of it. It had been a while since he’d truly pushed himself but he could already feel himself warming up to the task. He was happy at the opportunity to stretch his muscles and doing something other than bury himself in a book.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes