PM to join Squires and Nuits

Bakar and Oriah meet under unexpected circumstances.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Squires and Nuits

Postby Oriah on September 24th, 2014, 6:38 am

Had she been watching the young man closely, Oriah may have noticed the curious blackness of his tongue. Or perhaps the peculiar tint of his skin, which seemed to be covered with a kind of cosmetics. But she did not, as she kept her gaze mainly on the scenery. She did so partly for its simplistic, somber beauty, and partly as an unconscious act to ease her new friend into meaningful conversation.

There was a moment when Bakar knelt by the stones and spoke as if to himself again. Oriah took this as something of an unwitting habit and listened on in silence, noting the sad way he spoke of a duty to visit graves. She could only assume those graves belonged to people important to him. Small wonder he sounded as forlorn as he did.

But when he began to speak of his time in Syliras, Oriah found herself pondering more about his lifestyle. So she had somewhat been wrong about him being raised elsewhere. He did have a home once outside of the city, but had lost it a long time ago. And though he had lived a good portion of his life within Syliras he was still something of a stranger to it, having stayed in his home of the time and avoided knights in general. Still, he had is flute now. When he commented on his recent purchase Benshira found herself smiling. Alone and a bit gloomy he may have outwardly seemed, but he was trying, and that made him sweet in Oriah's eyes.

That he'd begun to hold better opinions of the Order, however, lent the squire much relief. She knew the knights held a tough reputation, but not all were as cold and aloof as they were made out to be. Oriah certainly hoped she would not become that way. It was impossible to even imagine.

Sunberth...Oriah knew the city by reputation alone. But she had not dared set foot within it, not even to see for herself what truly lay within its ramshackle borders. If had borders to begin with, that is. To know Bakar once came from the City of Slums spoke volumes of what he must have endured there. She shuddered to think of how his loved ones had perished; it had to have been nightmarish.

His story came to an abrupt and awkward end and Oriah did her best to assuage his misgivings. "Not to worry my friend, I enjoy to here these rambles." The Benshira wasn't entirely sure she was using the word correctly, but it sounded close enough.

"My life in the Bronze Woods is mostly training. Sera Mora, my patron, is something of a mystery even to her brothers and sisters. She likes to work alone. Even I don't know more than a handful of things about her life, other than that she disappears whenever she wishes." Oriah realized she was talking more about her patron than herself, so she quickly changed subjects. "But when I am not so tired I can barely walk, the woods are a beautiful place. I like the trees and the animals; they are so different from my homelands, but they also have a beauty of their own."

They'd reached the end of the garden so Oriah moved to turn back, their pace still that of aimless wandering. "As for how I became a squire..." She thought about Marrick and felt her cheeks grow pink, though she made no direct mention of him in her story. It seemed more appropriate to speak of duty and honor and not of feelings she still barely understood. "I came to this city three seasons ago, wishing to see for my own eyes its splendor. And when I arrived I found I could not leave."

Oriah smiled and looked up at the trees around them. "I grew to like the people here, and to believe very much in the Order's cause. Their ways are almost the same as those of my god, Yahal. So I saw it as a worthy, new path for my life, to honor my god and protect my new friends."

When she finished, the squire blinked against Syna's descending rays and realized with a jolt of surprise how late it had gotten. "Ahh, now I am the one who rambles," she confessed good naturedly. "And sadly, I am afraid it is time for me to go. I must ride back to the woods before Leth arrives, or else risk having to run from the wolves."

Oriah remembered distinctly the exact moment last Winter when she had done just that. Several moments, in fact. It was not a scenario she wished to repeat.

"It was good to meet you, Bakar," she smiled, extending her hand to seal their new friendship. "I will come back, and maybe we can talk again. I'd like to hear your flute, too!"

oocHope this is an appropriate place to end, kind of felt like it fitted so I just went with it xD Let me know if it needs to be changed! We can also milk it for a few more posts if you want :D
"Common"
"Shiber"
Oriah
Never Stray

Words: 364847
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2013, 5:06 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Squires and Nuits

Postby Bakar on September 24th, 2014, 7:13 am

Bakar listened to Oriah's story, noting that her patron did indeed seem a little mysterious. I wonder what she does.. But hardly knowing her, he quickly decided it didn't matter much to him. She sounded like a hard woman, in so far that she trained Oriah fiercely and didn't allow her much time to herself. Bakar knew nothing of the woods or it's beasts, and planned to keep it that way. He took her word about it's beauty. He was no fighter, and didn't see reason to leave the city walls.

When she thought of his question about her induction into the Knights, Oriah blushed. Bakar made note of this, but decided not to say anything. She had her own, personal secrets, he had his own, dark ones. Splendor. He shook his head. He himself had heard of this city when he was younger, but being here himself for this long, the initial curiousity of his own city vainished. It wasn't as great as he had heard. Once again, his thoughts returned to his first year in the city, where he had been abused.

Oriah spoke of her God, Yahal. Bakar knew nothing of any God or Goddess, his family never worshiped anyone. He made a note to visit the temple one of these days, to learn of this Yahal. He also wanted to learn more of the Order. It was time he came out of the dark and educated himself on them, their "cause" and how they came to be.

Oriah eventually finished her story, sadly. She also stated that she would have to leave, before it was too late and she would be set upon by wolves. The thought scared Bakar, being out in the dark, alone against a pack of wolves. He quickly tossed these thoughts out of his head, however. She smiled to him, and he returned it happily. "It was good to meet you too, Oriah. Thank you for showing me around. I would very much like to talk again." She had held out her hand, intending to shake his. Bakar hesitated, but eventually took it, knowing she would feel the coldness of his skin. He bowed to her, and quickly left before she had time to mention this, if she would have. He made his way home, making the effort to pass by the Temple, reminding himself to visit soon. He packed his flute away carefully, after giving it one more happy note, and sat, relaxed.

OOCNo, this is good. ^//^ Thanks for posting with me, it was fun. Hope to do it again some time~!
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Squires and Nuits

Postby Orion Michaels on October 28th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Oriah
Skills
Socialization +2, Anthropology +1, Play Musical Instrument: Drums +1, Observation +1, Storytelling +1
Lore
Bakar: Helpful Stranger
Drums of Eyktol
Bakar’s story
Bakar
Skills
Socialization +2, Anthropology +1, Observation +2, Storytelling +1, Play Music Instrument: Flute +1
Lore
Oriah Azari: Syliran Squire
Drums of Eyktol
The History of the Stone Gardens..as told by Oriah Azari
Oriah’s Reason for joining the order
Stuff
Add one wooden flute and case, subtract cost
Notes
Thanks for the thread you two. Bakar’s interactions with Oriah were just awkward enough without being painful. I enjoyed the read. :D Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous