Closed The Undertaking (Elaine)

Within the Forest of Thorns revelations are made.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Rayage on March 15th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Spring 40 514 AV

It was a new place really. The nuit hardly ever ventured out of the citadel, yet alone her own lab. Though there were precious experiments and materials within the citadel and the lab offered to her by Sahova that, even still, outweighed her life in value. Besides it wasn’t that she was stupid enough to practice dangerous magic within the confines of her lab where a controlled environment is needed. A single disturbance could set her back in her research, and that was a risk that she would rather not take. So instead of endangering herself and her life’s work, which was one in the same to the nuit, she would practice outdoors the arts of personal magic.

The forest of thorns was a place that she had but heard about in her ventures around the citadel, but curiosity never struck her enough to go investigate it herself. She was always too wrapped up in her work as an Alchemist, and until now, personal power was something out of her concern. It was only until recently that she realized just how weak a person she really was, and it was seeing that weakness that she did not like. She had always considered herself powerful, formidable, but in the end she could be blown away by anyone with basic knowledge of Reimancy. Circumstances have changed for the nuit, as she has something to strive to protect now more than just herself. She had her experiments to protect, and, being her life’s work, she would protect them until the end.

The wanting for personal power came at a time where she realized that she wasn’t truly alone in this world. That her existence mattered, and that she couldn’t just allow herself to be struck down by any mage with a grudge against her. A great alchemist like herself being torn to pieces by some animal, or worse, another wizard was laughable and pathetic. What would the creations do without her? It was because of her that they existed and it was because of her that they got the support from Sahova that they did. If she disappeared then surely so would all of her hard work. The nuit could not allow that. The nuit would not allow that.

Miro had showed her just how weak she was and it was also that same wizard that offered her power unimaginable. Though it was not the elements that she hoped to control, it was something greater. The elements were but a stepping stone to understanding, and so far only fire could she summon. Though she did not allow that to deter her from her studies and it wasn’t reimancy which she came to study this day. No, not in a forest which she could light on fire and die within. Another tragic and stupid way to die.

The forest itself wasn’t particularly hospital, much like most of the island. She was amazed that trees could grow in this place at all. The forest itself had a dark feel to it, and djed permeated the air, she could feel its thickness brushing against her skin as she traversed the forest on an overgrown path. Branches ducked and swayed in the cool morning air, brandishing their thorns threateningly at the nuit wizard. She needed to be careful least one could catch her. Purple cloak around her the thorns scraped at the alchemic armor she wore, the metallic properties resisting the snagging grasp of the sharp razors of the trees. Black hair flowed behind her, descending and snaking down her back and a look of curiosity was about her.

The alchemist had never been to the Forest before and she speculated as to why. It wasn’t the best place at all, and overall was annoying to have to keep dodging branches and watching where roots would sprout from the ground, all to avoid being poked by the trees. She had no idea if the trees were poisonous or not, and it was just idol curiosity and going to a place where she had never been before that drove her to explore the forest this day. She wanted a new place to practice her magic where she wouldn’t be disturbed, and so she doubted anyone would come in here. Just the name itself would ward normal people away.

It took a while of searching and wandering but eventually the wizard found a nice open spot in the forest. The clearing itself wasn’t too big, in fact, he clear ground was only big enough and thorn free enough to allow but one person to sit. Taking the seat on the ground the wizard observed her surroundings. In the forest it was oddly quiet, but quiet was good for a study situation. Cross legged, back straight up the undead looked the trees up and down spying their menacing thorns wondering what the cause was for a place to develop how it has. The wizard knew that everything affects everything else, that life is moldable, and things adapt based on the experiences it has. This place is… hurting. So it grew spines and spikes to ward off offenders. Just like the weak alchemist hoped to do.

This was a place of protection the nuit decided. Feeling protected by the thorns of the forest the nuit began to focus inwardly upon herself. She the sickness of rot within her and as she was relaxing herself she saw within a black hole. Yes, she is a black hole. She is an unstable darkness consuming the light of the stars themselves sucking in everything around her. Yes, she could literally become that darkness. If she could become that, then, through destruction she could create anew whatever she wanted. If she could absorb the light, then maybe, perhaps she would feel whole again?

This darkness grew within her, a consuming hunger for power, and it surprised her. So much so that she focused outwardly again, feeling a light breeze catch her skin. Inside she was a monster, just like everything else on this island. Inside, she was a monster, just like Evalin, just like Miro, just like everything. Had she truly lost her humanity? No! A small smile spread across the wizards face. No, this cannot be. This cannot be her destiny. She will, once again, one day, become human, be alive and conquer the darkness within. And once she has combated her own darkness, then she can combat it in the world as well. She could protect those things that she held dear with the light of being…

But to know darkness, to beat darkness, one must fall into depravity first? To know the enemy is to defeat the enemy, any hypnotist knew that. ”How much farther can I fall?” she asked aloud to herself looking up, up, up through the trees to see a glimpse of the Sahovan morning sky. This light… she will absorb it to become it, the only light, the right light, the guiding light of the world.

Though to do that, she would need power, and to get power she needed to practice, and to practice she needed focus. She needs to embrace the darkness within so she can know herself completely, and to do that she will need to draw upon an art which she herself is scared of- that of Leeching.

Again she settled down and calmed herself and focused on the feeling of the air around her. She could feel it on her skin, the prickling power of ambient djed in the very atmosphere. Sahova’s air was rich with it. The djed tingled upon her skin and tickled her. She smiled as she opened herself up to the very environment, mentally imagining herself as the black hole again, the darkness between the stars. This darkness which was Rayage would absorb everything that it touched. She would absorb the very air itself, the very earth, this very place she pictured herself consuming and as she consumed the darkness in her head spread larger. As she focused on consuming the very air she could feel the djed around her react and her body open up to it, forcing it inside her, collecting the djed from the environment itself.

It felt so unnatural, but natural at the same time. The feeling was hard to explain as the djed entered the nuit. She could feel its power, even if it was just so slight, she could feel it, and that is what drove her on. The djed was being drawn to her by her sheer force of will alone, and it was through her force of will that she was consuming it, introducing foreign djed into her body. The tingling on her skin intensified as she focused on it, and the small smile grew larger on her face. She was powerful, and with this power she could cast more magic than the average wizard. The world would be her source of power to draw from!

OOC :
I sorta… ended it here as I didn’t want to go on another rant about leeching XD and this post is way long enough as it is. Again, sorry…
x
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Elaine Spade on March 16th, 2014, 4:26 pm

This could also called a usual, boring day. The middle of spring could be charming for people. Sahova's atmosphere however destroys it, at least for Elaine. It always feels so dark and rotting. People were not really lively neither, which she understood. They were nuits, walking corpses she called them. The citadel wasn't her favourite place because of that. The only time she could take them, when she was with Clyde.

This was one of those days when she wanted to 'run away' from the place. She wanted to see something, alive or natural. She was hoping that Clyde will leave this place soon. Sometimes she noticed that certain people were staring at her. Perhaps they wanted her to be another experiment. She tried and didn't pay attention to them. She left the citadel, while she became invisible. She didn't need attention to do so.

But then where to go? She was thinking, looking around. She could visit the Forest of Thorns. Not the best or friendlist place in Sahova but she could perhaps be alone there since the place was hard to nagivate in because of the thorns. And if she was looking in the other way, it was still an interesting and kinda a pretty forest. So she headed to that direction.

It didn't need much chimes to get there. She found it and she entered to the forest. It was silent, it was calm and alive. Elaine liked that. She was wandering the forest and was investigating the thorns. She was still suprised how big they were and they were also everywhere. She was grateful that it couldn't hurt.”How much farther can I fall?” She heard a voice. Was it in her head? No she was sure that somebody is in the forest as well.

She was still invisible and tried to follow the voice where it came. After a little she saw a figure. The first guess was that she was just a nuit. She didn't see details yet. "Ahh...It's just another walking corpse." She said it out loud. She realized that she was invisible and that the woman could hear her. Doom. There was no point to be unseen so she appeared before. She was frustrated about what she did and she sighed. "Hel..lo! I guess." She greeted her and was looking unpleasant. And as she went closer she just realized. She didn't look like a nuit, like a corpse. She felt even more awkward, though the woman's appearance was still strange for her."Oh.. wait you are not a walking corpse."
Last edited by Elaine Spade on June 8th, 2014, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Rayage on April 27th, 2014, 8:50 am

Would this power be her downfall? Is it right to know darkness? What if you fall and can never return? All those concerns were nothing to the wizard right now. Personal power and the pursuit for absolute freedom was worth nearly any price, and the price of leeching was nothing. The physical shell of the body was nothing, the soul and the strength of a wizard could carry her through the good times and bad. The wizard needed strength at any cost, even if in the becoming a light would mean having to steal the source of it from the earth itself. A guiding star that is what the wizard hoped to be, someone with the ability to lead a fallen nation from the ashes with the greatness of her own magical powers. A ruler, no, but a leader, yes.

More and more she drew in the powers of the earth, the environment around her, taking the djed from the plants around her. She felt a strange connection to the nature which could only be achieved with this form of magic. A connection like sharing souls, touching the very essence of existence, taking away the very energy and structure of the world, she craved it. In her mind she pictured the djed as streams of white light, and her a black hole in a humanish form. And this darkness absorbed the light around it, taking it in and incorporating it as part of its own, adding its power to the dark form in which she envisioned herself. The streams of light solidified itself in the air around her, and she could feel its electric touch run through her body. The feeling was different, sickening, but needed. She was sure that she would get used to the feeling of drawing power in time. Right now she needed to practice.

Her mind grasped and grappled at the free djed in the air, trying to draw it in, and at the same time feeling the air thinning. It was quite the sensation to feel the air itself become less and less djed rich. However, the change was minute and only noticeable because she was actively looking for it. Or perhaps she saw what she wanted to see?

The wizard could not get further into her practice because she was interrupted by a voice. This drew her out of her meditation and broke her concentration on the new magic she was toying with. The tingling subsided and the djed taken in was released, the light let back into the world as an unfocused spell. It did nothing notably but rid the nuits body of the taint of stolen djed. The alchemist looked around but saw nothing and no one. Was she hearing things? But before she could wonder anymore an ethereal form appeared in front of her.

Rayage frowned and watched the thing, “You are interrupting my meditation." Rayage told the ghost as she looked at her, "I came here to be alone, yet here I am with you..." She needed to practice her personal magic to get better. She wanted to be a stronger wizard.

Her eyes refocused on the ghost in front of her, “And I assume you are here for a reason too?” She asked her frown deepening. She did not have time to waste on pathetic beings.
x
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Elaine Spade on June 29th, 2014, 6:19 am

She was happy for a moment when she finally found somebody who was alive. At least the person seemed alive to her. How rare it was, she only knew Clyde and Anna who were alive, who she would trust a bit more easily. Nuits were dead, just like her but so much difference were between them. The body and the bodyless. She wanted to get out the place as soon as she could but Clyde told her that he had to stay still. Sad thing for her. But her happiness to see a not dead person quickly vanished because something wasn't quite right.

Though she looked alive, her appearance was still... unusual for Elaine. She still looked a bit dead. Maybe Sahova made her like that. Clyde and Anna's appearances changed as well. Lack of food probably. Made them a bit sick also too perhaps. And her look was cold, cold like a nuit's look. How long has this person been here? Sahova make people like that?

And her speech, just as cold and scary. Elaine didn't say anything for some moment because she felt bad. She didn't want to disturb her. She hardly started to speak. "I.. er.. sorr.." Her voice echoed but sounds didn't really come. Then she got herself together, got her guts and apologied properly."I'm sorry, I didn't meant to bother you with my presence. I was just wandering around here." Because that was one of the few places where she could go around without Wanda's soulmist but she didn't add that detail.

The woman's gaze as she was staring at the ghost was still cold. Maybe it was even colder than Elaine's soulmist. She froze. She had no reason to be here. She had no reason to be on that island either just one. She was here because she was familiar with this forest. "No... I don't actually. I just gladly noticed that there is another person who is not dead like those...corpses but indeed alive like yourself." She could say things corpses, nuits,undead with big digust in her voice.

She tried to be friendly with her, she gave a weak smile. Maybe they could get along well. "I'm Elaine Spade. As you might have noticed I'm not alive myself either, not even warmer but I swear my attitude is better. She introduced herself. "What's your name? And how did you get here? Why are you here?
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Rayage on July 4th, 2014, 1:35 am

At first Rayage was annoyed at the ghosts presence. She was interrupting an important meditation in which she would be testing the limits of her leeching abilities. Though, sometimes, interruptions were planned, and things change. Always there was change if nothing else. So a change of plans was to be done, and being a servant and explorer of change meant being open to every possibility. The future was unknown, and even the best laid plans are subject to changes power. The nuit considered the questions of the ghost in silence, contemplating at what to say exactly.

”My name is Rayage.” She said, leaving off her more formal title of ‘Master’. ”Your other questions can be left up to interpretation, I suppose.”

”If you meant ‘here’ as in this forest, then I got here, to this very place, as any other would by finding a safe enough path to travel across. This forest is indeed inhospitable, but that is why I chose it. This place is far away from the brick walls and magic bound citadel, yet the djed here is as thick in the air as anyplace else on this isle. Though it is more peaceful here, away from the politics of the wizards…” There was nothing more mentally draining than the constant wear and tear of rival wizards all competing to come up with bigger and better things to destroy and conquer the world with.

”However, if you meant ‘here’ as in Sahova, I came here, or rather returned here, from Ravok. I had a mission to return the wizard Forus to the isle, but it ended in failure. I was only able to get the research notes, nothing else, not even the stolen artifacts… But I came here like anyone else would suspect, by Ship.” She would indulge the ghost in pleasant conversation, as long as it didn’t get too boring. She wondered if leeching worked on ghosts… The thought crossed her mind, but she dare not test it now.

”And as for my reasons for being here, they are rather personal.” she told the ghost, ”I am an alchemist who studies the subject of life and creation. I come here sometimes to train on my other magical skills, but I specialize in Alchemy. Shaova has been kind to me in regards to my research and have allowed me to blossom where other cities have not.” For that the nuit was grateful for the undead isle and the status which her magical meddling brought her. There was a good sense of being needed by the island, a sense of importance, a sense of understanding that came from working with Sahova. More importantly the excitement of a new experiment and discovery.

”So, Elaine, why is a ghost like yourself here? Did you die here horribly at the hands of a neglectful master?’ she asked, ”And this forest, is it so that you prefer solitude and the privacy of your own thoughts?”
x

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Undertaking (Elaine)

Postby Ink on October 30th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Let me see what you have done with your ink.

PC One
Skills

Meditation 2
Leeching 2
Philosophy 1
Socialization 1
Observation 1
Interrogation 1

Lores

Thorns as a Defense Mechanism
Can Ghosts be Leeched?
The Peculiarities of Leeching from Air

Notes

Consequences of Leeching: The skin between Rayage’s fingers begins to crack and emit ichor if used too dexterously. This lasts until her vessel is changed.

Between Black and White

If there are any concerns or problems with my grading please feel free to toss me a PM. I am more than happy to explain my reasons or reevaluate them if you feel I've been unfair. Also please remember to edit your grade request as graded or delete it if possible.

Thank you,
Ink
Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)