Closed Form Versus Function (Aoren)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Form Versus Function (Aoren)

Postby Pulren Marsh on October 14th, 2014, 8:30 pm

An eyebrow rose at the mention of trust and when it should be given. He especially thought it odd that Aoren would say not to give him trust. Everyone was different, though, which would only be more clear as his new friend continued to speak. Pulren could only shake his head and grin. Was everyone he knew a Wizard? Was Zeltiva populated by them completely?

Wait. Now, he was one too? That was the gas that enveloped him at the end of the fight? She had perhaps won in her final throes. Pulren couldn't really respond much, only listen and absorb the knowledge as he had apparently absorbed magic and the ability to use it. His mind was all over the place. Gestures, meditation, discipline, focus. A Wizard's life wasn't an easy one, but it didn't sound like it strayed too far from one of a warrior. Aoren was apparently a bit of both, so Pulren felt it was best to listen more and talk less. But all of a sudden, it seemed that it was time for him to speak.

Stopping, the realization of the change in his life becoming more fixed and permanent, Pulren looked this man in the ye who had just told him not to trust him. "Is meditation what you were doing up on the rock when I walked up;? If I think about it, I would say I would do something with my hands, but I don't even understand how it forms or what is involved. Can I just make any element come out? I know Rick used water. How do I know?" He looked clearly troubled as he started to pace a bit. The barking of the dog distracted him, a singular thought coming into his mind.

"If I shouldn't trust so easily, why should I believe that you are a Wizard and you can show me anything?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on October 29th, 2014, 12:11 am

Yes. I often meditate to clear my head. It is a good habit to get into if you have the drive for it. My mentor once introduced me to it though he wasn’t very good at it himself.” Aoren gave Pulren a half-smirk. Then came the other man’s questions. They were legitimate concerns as far as Aoren could tell. They were questions that he would have asked himself if he were in Pulren’s shoes. He remembered how confusing the first steps into the realm of magic had been. The road ahead of Pulren wouldn’t be an easy one.

When I was first introduced to reimancy, the magic of the elements, I was told that ones element was a reflection of your inner self. As I’ve grown I have come to understand that this is not necessarily the case. Essentially you can choose what element you want to begin with it is all a matter of the focus you’re willing to put into it.” Aoren quirked his head at Pulren’s final question. A bark from Isikai called his attention for a brief moment. Aoren’s lips found themselves turning upwards into a smile as he watched the dog. Content to chase flies or dig at the roots of bushes. Aoren came to a stop for a moment studying Pulren closely.

I’ll tell you what. How about a little bit of a test?” It was a spur of the moment decision, Aoren blamed the heat of the day and his somewhat restless mood.

I find myself in need of a sparring partner. If you would do me the honor of joining me in a sparring match I would appreciate it.” Aoren brought up a hand to rub at his chin thoughtfully.

In return, I will help you discover and focus your first element. Is this an agreeable arrangement for you?” Aoren intended to discover a few things through this sparring match, if Pulren accepted. The first would be a measure of how much discipline the young Wave Guard had in his life. The second would be how much he could endure before being pushed to the limit of his exhaustion. Aoren was of the firm belief that a man who did not take care of himself would make a very poor wizard. Being a mage required focus and resolve on a level that often escaped most people.

He could still remember the hours upon hours of concentration that he had spent under the tutelage of Leoshan. The old man had never been satisfied with Aoren progress when it came to his magical discipline. In hindsight, Aoren understood why. He had instilled in the young man a firm belief in caution and devotion to careful study before leaping into decision that could result in disaster. Those lessons had been hard learned but they stayed with him even to the present day.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 2nd, 2014, 6:04 am

Was Aoren always this calm? Pulren couldn't think of a time that he had seen the man out of sorts. If anything, the discipline required to remain clam in all seasons was nearly enough to take him up on his offer. He watched Isikai appear again and sort of longed for a companion like that himself.He was all over the place, really. It was a lot for Pulren to take in.

His mind immediately went to the concept that he could form an element on his own and start however he wished. It seemed the most fair of ways to begin a thing, even if the initiation hadn't been so fair. Of course, the student was still alive in the current case.Suspicion bred resentment and contempt. Neither would be helpful bedfellows in this new world of Wizardry that Pulren was apparently destined to begin. As with most things, it involved a test.

"A test. Something I am accustomed to. Did a good bit of swimming to join the Guard. Be happy to fight you to gain some much needed information." A trill of laughter escaped Pulren's throat, giddy and melodic. "A fight to learn magic. I like that quite a good deal." He could feel his heart begin to race, much as it did in the heat of a kelp strewn bar. Rolling his neck on his shoulders, Pulren put several paces between them, crouching and fingering at the dirt. "What are the rules of your spar, then? I only ask for no dog intervention. Sometimes when I am fighting I forget myself and I don't want to attack your animal. Big beast would probably snap my head off cleanly, anyway. Other than that, I'm good to go."

Looking up and smiling, he added, "How about you, Aoren?"

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on November 3rd, 2014, 6:08 pm

All of life is a test, Pulren.” He watched the young Wave Guard take his steps distancing himself. The Drykas man gave Pulren a nod cracking a smirk. Reaching down Aoren tossed his waterskin off to the side so that it didn’t impeded his movements. Taking up his stance Aoren shifted so that his body was at an angle making him less of a wide target.

You have nothing to worry about from Isikai. He can tell the difference between when I am in danger and when the atmosphere is friendly.” It was a remarkable trait about animals and their ability to sense true danger. Isikai might get a little excited but for the most part the dog was very in tune when Aoren’s moods. Perhaps it was because the two of them had spent so much time together. From the day that Aoren had purchased him in the Great Bazaar in Syliras the two had barely spent more than a few hours apart from one another. In that time Isikai had shown a great capacity to learn to the point where Aoren was almost certain the dog actually understood him sometimes. He couldn’t be certain about it but he had his suspicions.

I have only a few rules. First, fight honorably. Second, don’t hold back. Use the skill at your disposal. I can take a hit.” He gave Pulren a nod before taking in a deep breath. Lowering himself into a more offensive stance as opposed to a defensive one, Aoren leaned forward. He brought his fists up so that both were in front of his body with one only slightly behind the other to afford a modicum of protection for his torso.

I hope you’re ready.” Serving as the only warning to his charge, Aoren sprung forward sprinting toward Pulren as fast as his legs could carry him. His feet came down lightly upon the ground, he kept his legs high as he darted forward so that he allowed the momentum of the sprint to flow with him. At the last minute bounded into the air bringing his knee up. He leapt toward Pulren bringing the knee of his right leg up intent on slamming it directly into the young man’s chest. It was a forward aerial maneuver that took a good deal of leg strength. The impact would be a jarring one if it landed but there was no guarantee that Pulren wouldn’t just move out of the way forcing Aoren to reevaluate his attack.

It was a strong possibility. Such was the downfall of being the combatant to make the first move. A skilled one could adjust and react midstride but Aoren couldn’t say he was at that level of expertise yet. He wasn’t an unskilled fighter but he disciplined himself mostly for defensive reasons and only when it was necessary. As of late it had become increasingly necessary. He was finding that the world beyond the walls of Syliras was not as ordered and peaceful as the Fortress City.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 5th, 2014, 2:42 pm

Indeed, everything was a test. Pulren had survived and therefore passed every test thrown in his direction and this fight would be no different. He watched as the skin was tossed aside, the smirk on Aoren's face. This guy really thought himself a powerful person, all wrapped up in humility. Pulren snickered to himself as he wondered if his ego alone might knock the young Guardsman over. Standing, he chose not to also square up like the opponent, waiting instead to listen to more talking.

Rules. He wondered if all of Aoren's fights were structured spars like this, with honor attached. Every time Pulren had fought, it was a fight. He could only think of this as Guard practice, but he knew of the character of the other Guardsmen. He was glad to hear that the dog wasn't a factor, but would his magic come in to play? Or would it be might versus might? The other was constantly moving and changing his posture. This would have been very efficient had they not been so far apart. Otherwise, Pulren just watched him dance.

He only had enough time to nod in response to the question of readiness before Aoren started running at him full speed. A look of incredulity washed over Pulren's face as he seemed stunned by the sudden brash attack. He lowered his shoulders but something was off, the arms were down. Did this guy really think he would just stand still? He would be a heap of broken teeth and bloody scraps if he had just stood still. He did have to actually jump to the right; the man's speed was too much to simply sidestep.

Pulren laughed out loud. "Do you do that with everybody? Run right at them? I'm surprised you haven't been gutted." He took the opportunity of the loss of Aoren's speed to close the gap between them. He put a good shove in to his shoulders, just to push him back and more importantly, to get him mad. Sure, in the confines of an orderly scuffle, the cool headed approach of the Wizard might take the day. Pulren liked chaos and barfights, however. Mocking and angering an opponent was his favorite way to gain an edge.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on November 5th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Unsurprisingly Pulren moved out of the way. Aoren had been expecting that. Only a fool would have just stood there when dodging allowed for an opening to gain an advantage. But Aoren was not so blind to believe that his fighting skills were infallible. As soon as his knee impacted nothing but air, Aoren tucked his other knee in allowing the momentum of his body to carry him forward. He tumbled to the ground, shoved off course by Pulren’s direct his to his shoulder. Aoren braced himself for the hard impact of the earth. The moment his side hit the ground he pushed his legs out catching the dirt with the side of his heel. He pushed up causing his body to roll. Jutting out a hand he caught himself in the middle of skidding across the dirt whereupon he brought himself into a crouched position.

I’m going to feel that later.

Still, Aoren was not deterred. Such were the pitfalls of engaging in a spar. Every defeat was a chance to approach his opponent from a different angle. From his mocking and the almost haphazard way in which Pulren had jumped out of the way, Aoren made quick work of assessing just what kind of fighter he was. His movements lacked definitive purpose. His decision had been a spur of the moment one as opposed to being planned and calculated. Rising to his feet Aoren kept his gaze focused on Pulren. He didn’t need to be an Aurist to be able to watch the other man’s movements. There was no hint of frustration in his demeanor. There was only the caution one would expect from facing down an opponent. He moved slightly to the right pacing around Pulren deciding on his next course of action.

The young Wave Guard wouldn’t know it but there was more to this fight than simply matching strength with strength. Aoren wanted to see how Pulren handled himself. He wanted to get a measure of the man’s character. Would he give himself to rage and anger or would he maintain a cool and level head in the face of adversity? To Aoren, the mastery of magic required an understanding of order and discipline not found in the common man. Those unprepared fell to darkness and madness while the precious few held on to the vestiges of their sanity and uncovered even greater mysteries. When it came to magic though, he understood that genius and madness often walked hand in hand. It was simply a matter of how one channeled it.

When Aoren perceived another opening he darted forward again breaking out into another sprint. For a few seconds it looked as if he were going to try the same maneuver again but he came to a halt at the last second planting one foot then bringing up the other. He rotated his hips, spun slightly on his heel and swung a forceful kick aimed at Pulren’s waist. Aoren readied himself for the possibility that Pulren would evade his kick. He kept his arms tucked in close to his chest doing his best to diminish the amount of opening left by such a forward maneuver.

If he dodges, that leaves me open for retaliation. I am at least guarded against blows to the abdomen. I can follow through with a lunging strike.” All that was left was to see the consequences to his attack. His test of Pulren continued. He was hopeful that the young man would pass.

Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 6th, 2014, 1:11 am

Pulren was actually surprised and concerned for Aoren when he went rolling by. He didn't expect so much force to throw the guy into the dirt like that. Still, he just stood up and started approaching again. Silent as a tomb and fixed with his eyes. "Damn, man. You just ate some dirt, huh? You alright?" Nothing. Pulren started to wonder if Aoren was actually mad or just way too damned serious.

"You know, you really ought to lighten up." That is what Pulren had expected to say. However, he only made it to 'ought to ligh' before it was his turn to eat dirt. Aoren had started with the running again but when Pulren went to jump out of the way, his opponent stopped and turned the force into a kick, catching him in the side and throwing him down to the ground. Having landed on his back flat, the wind was knocked out of him and he couldn't catch his breath. Staggering about, trying to rise completely, he just blindly waved his hand around in front of his face hoping for a respite of mercy until he regained his senses.

Fortunately, the man had the honor that he had spoken of and after a few moments of coughing and groaning, Pulren was mostly back on his feet. "Damn, Aoren. That was a mean kick. Good thing you weren't really trying to beat my ass or it would be beat! He laughed a bit, choosing to make fun of himself and be thankful for the chance to try again. Wiping some spittle from the corner of his mouth with his forearm, he lowered his head and started walking toward Aoren slowly and methodically. "No more bull charging." He coughed and kept coming."If I'm going to lose, it's going to be on my feet." If there was more dodging, he changed his direction. Once in closer proximity, he put his own fists up. If another leg came, he would grab it and get on the ground with Aoren. IF a fist came, he would try to dodge it and throw his own. Otherwise, maybe in the meantime the stoic pugilist would start speaking.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on November 9th, 2014, 1:31 pm

This one is a talker.

Aoren felt the nudge of his Gnosis prompting him to tend to Pulren’s discomfort. He would give in to that gentle reminder of his duty when their bout was complete. He waited for Pulren to catch his breath patiently never once making a move toward him while he was unable to defend himself. The Drykas man didn’t believe in striking someone when they were down. Aoren arched an eyebrow when Pulren seemed to collect himself and recover from the blow. It wasn’t condescending. In fact, it held a small note of concern but it was gone soon after as Pulren took up his place in front of Aoren.

Aoren adopted a more assault oriented stance. It wasn’t perfect. Aoren left his right side open for attack. His footing wasn’t quite as strong as it should have been. He was more of a defensive fighter but he would get nowhere being purely on the defensive in this sparring match. Isikai whined emitting a loud bark and a low growl. The dog took a step forward to which Aoren spoke to him in Pavi.

No move.” The large black hound whined again followed by another bark but he did not step into their fighting match. With that done Aoren focused his attention back on the guardsman in front of him. He gave Pulren a nod.

Then stand your ground, Pulren.” With that Aoren dove right into a series of strong jabs. He closed his fists striking out at Pulren’s chest with his right fist. He then brought his other arm across in a left hook. His attacks wouldn’t necessarily be that hard to block or even dodge. Aoren’s experience with being the aggressor in a fight was limited so that left plenty of wiggle room. Still, he came at Pulren hard and fast or at least as fast as he could. The flurry of his punches was interrupted only when he brought up a knee to jab into Pulren’s stomach. The knee was delayed not coming up as fast as Aoren would have liked. He had intended to try and catch Pulren off guard but as Aoren was not exactly accustomed to this particular style of fighting the maneuver was far from perfect.

Bringing his leg up off-set his center of balance to which Aoren grunted shifting his other foot to counter the slight tilt in his weight. He was hit square in the side by one of Pulren’s punches before being hit in the chest as well. Aoren felt the wind blow out of him which caused him to stumble back after being struck. He touched a hand to his chest wincing at the tenderness there. That would most definitely turn into a bruise spot. He gave Pulren a nod of approval before darting back into the fight once he recovered.

NoteFeel free to land as many strikes as you take, Pul. I'm terrible at writing combat stuff but practice makes perfect! I apologize if it's a bit confusing.

Secret :
This color means Aoren is speaking in Pavi.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 12th, 2014, 2:48 am

It was a fight, that's for sure. His opponent didn't have so much to say and was letting his fists do the talking. Pulren was ready to dodge when he heard the dog growl. His eyes shifted from Isikai to Aoren and back as a command was issued that calmed the beast. He really didn't want to fight two opponents, especially one with teeth and claws.

And then just like that, Bam!, another flurry of punches. He was moving and dodging to the best of his ability, but his natural fighting spirit, also known as anger, was rising quickly with each landed blow. They weren't backed with strength to cause damage, but they were fast and repetitive enough. Keeping his head down, he started throwing his own replies back at Aoren, though with each strike he took, Pulren threw a few too hard for a spar. He just couldn't help it. He had never been in a pretend fight other than with weapons. the only reason those were for pretend was because for real meant death.

When Aoren also needed a respite, Pulren gave pause for him. Just because he wasn't accustomed to giving quarter didn't mean he couldn't learn. It was as much a break for him as well, letting his breath and fire slow down. "You ever been in a fight?" With that nod, the Guardsman threw himself back in, grabbing at the other's clothes and trying to put his leg in between the other's stanced legs. If he could get him down on the ground, it would be a lot easier. If not, he'd keep throwing. Kicks and knees were too risky. Punches or takedown. Only choices.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on November 16th, 2014, 12:34 am

Aoren considered Pulren’s question for a moment as he regained his composure. Drawing in a steady breath he did his best to ignore the ache he was beginning to feel along the broader surfaces of his body. Naturally it was those surfaces that took the brunt of the blows he was forced to endure during their spar. While each throw that came his way hurt Aoren was beginning to reach a point were certain nerve areas were slightly deadened to the pain. He did his best to deflect Pulren’s punches with these areas of his body.

Yes. Some friendly. Most decidedly not so.” Aoren sometimes wondered how he was even alive at this point in his life. He’d been in brawls with much more skilled fighters than him, he’d been stampeded by a horde of yukmen, he’d faced down ghosts, he’d managed to somehow survive an encounter with a vicious beast and he was still standing. If Pulren hadn’t been able to tell yet, it was clear that Aoren was not much of a talker when it came to exchanging blows. He approached combat or at least he tried to, with as clear a head as possible. He found that fits of anger and rage tended to lead to a tunnel vision that only detracted from his ability to anticipate his opponent’s movements. Such as the shifting of Pulren’s stance, the bracing of his legs as he rushed forward almost as soon as Aoren’s answer left his lips.

A rush was something Aoren was prepared to fight. Instead of falling back he stood his ground. As Pulren’s hands reached out to grasp his shirt Aoren brought up an arm deflecting one of Pulren’s arms swatting it away with his forearm. His other hand snaked outward grasping hold of the oncoming wrist. Sliding off to the side, Aoren twisted Pulren’s arm evading his attempt at a solid grapple. Aoren didn’t put too much pressure in his grip and once he’d effectively countered the young man’s maneuver he released Pulren’s arm shoving his backside so that he would be thrown off balance. Aoren did not advance but instead folded his arms over his chest.

Enough.” Aoren furrowed his brow as he studied the Wave Guard. His gaze was appraising though it lacked any sort of superior dominance or malice. Aoren allowed Pulren to regain his footing but he did not take his eyes off him. He wasn’t foolish enough to believe that just because he pronounced the fight to be over that his opponent would oblige to it.

You are…” Aoren searched for the right wording. “…a reckless fighter, Pulren.

Aoren was bouncing between deciding if that would make him an equally reckless mage. The Drykas man didn’t have the highest of opinions when it came to other wizards. In fact Aoren was of the belief that the majority of mages pursued power only for power’s sake. He was personally not that kind of mage. Aoren wished to understand. The more he learned the more he believed that through uncovering the secrets of how to study and expand the understanding of Djed itself, not just the disciplines practiced, that he could better the lives of others through his work. He just hadn’t found a means of doing that yet though there were several disciplines of magic that lead him to believe it was a goal he could achieve. The endeavor would just require study. Careful study that he couldn’t say he saw Pulren doing.

On that same coin though, the very man who had first introduced Aoren to magic wasn’t exactly what he would have called a scholar. A man who was rough around the edges, a bit curmudgeonly and most definitely not a wizard interested in the welfare of his fellow man, Leoshan was nonetheless a good man. With a sigh Aoren nodded.

But I see potential in you if a bit lacking in discipline. I will teach you how to unlock your powers. If you think you’re ready?” Aoren quirked an eyebrow at the Wave Guard. It was a challenge of sorts. In a way Aoren was still testing Pulren resolve. Would he become frustrated at his lack of success or would he persevere in the face of adversity?

NoteGiven the difference between Pulren and Aoren's fighting/evasive skills I thought this might be an appropriate twist. If you are not okay with this, let me know and I'll rewrite it.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext