[Flashback] Learning to Hunt

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Mayjor on September 29th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Mayjor's eyes traced the path of the arrow, watched it rend the flesh of the boars leg as it tore into the tissue. He felt elated, the most proud he had been in his life; as a result, he let the tautness in his bowstring slack. The second arrow was notched, ready to be fired and down the beast, however the man was too absorbed in his partial success to finish the job. He was wrapped up in that first solid shot. 'I might have a knack for this archery thing! I hit the EXACT spot I aimed for!', were the type of elated thoughts rushing through the crevices of his mind.

A shreek squeal, one of devastating pain and anger, pierced Mayjor's ears, raising his alertness back to it's prior heightened state. The boar was rearing to charge; he could tell from it's posture and composure, as any good Frostfawn should be able to. It's body languages screamed attack. Mayjor panicked slightly- he had never been in this kind of situation. This was no schoolyard brawl, as one of those horns meant certain death. He reflexively began to reach for his trusted longsword, his first thought being a foolish one of close combat. However, Kayin's voice become one of reason, and he drew his bow taut.

He was petrified. However, he thrived on this. This rush of adrenaline, this feeling of euphoria in fights and dangerous situations; he would not falter. He drew his bow taut once more firing off a shot towards it's front right leg. He quickly began to string another, deciding it best not to egotistically delay his attack once again. The next one would go through the eye, just as suggested.
Mayjor
The Diamond in the Rough

Words: 8597
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2010, 12:18 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 1st, 2010, 7:22 pm

Mayjor's arrow ripped through the tough skin of the boar and pain ripped through it's wound. It let out a blood curdling squeal that would chill even the most seasoned hunter to the core. Kayin flinched at the sound and looked at the beaming Mayjor. He was excited and it was easy to see why. He was getting a bit cocky though. Out in the Reaches there was a very fine line between good hunting and getting lucky. There was no room for celebrations. It was simply make your kill and move on. A hunter could celebrate when he got home safe.

To Kayin's relief Mayjor was starting to get more level headed. His shots were starting to be more skilled and less like lucky shots. At first Kayin truly did not believe the both of them would make it out alive. Yes, he would have made it back to Avanthal. Almost thirty years of being a Frostfawn made a man quite good at escaping wintery demises at the hands of animals. Mayjor was showing his worth though. He was starting to take the situation seriously. Kayin saw the young Frostfawn aiming for the eye of the beast and smiled. The kid listened. The biggest issue out in the Reaches was that young hunters thought that one good shot meant they were master hunters. They would begin to stop listening to their mentors and take on beasts far too dangerous for their skill level. That was the cause of so many deaths. Talderian life was tough but it was not for the overconfident.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Mayjor on October 2nd, 2010, 11:00 pm

Mayjor's third arrow soared through the air towards the boar, hoping to strike true. The boy who fired the shot, however, was not at all worried about the arrows trip as he had been before; He was too busy stringing the fourth shot, and then attempting to put that shot in the same spot the one prior was shot towards. Mayjor's worry and anxiety had a direct relationship with the decreasing distance between the boar and himself- The closer the boar got, the more it bothered the boy. The boar was massive, stampeding with a blood-thirst which had never been witnessed by the eyes of the young Vantha. The situation where another living thing was trying with every fiber of it's being to end his life was new and unsettling to him. Yet, although he understood that he had put the boar in the same situation he himself was now in, he felt no sympathy. Only his survival instincts spoke. 'Shoot another arrow before he gets to you', they said, 'or you will die before you see the age of 20'. All of these thoughts and more were flying throughout his mind, at an unfathomable speed, as his fourth arrow was freed from the bow-string.

The boy's adrenaline in his blood screamed in joy as the arrow flew towards it's target. Each arrow felt taxing to him, mentally and physically. For once, the boy's thoughts were clear of all, except for the wondering question of whether this arrow would finally stop this beast in it's tracks.
Mayjor
The Diamond in the Rough

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 5th, 2010, 7:56 pm

The battle was reaching a peak. All three members, the beast, the teacher, and the student were focused. None of them were willing to let up. The beast, for his hunger. The teacher, for the safety of his student. Most of all the student, for his life. Although hunting was a big part of Avanthal life it was indeed a gamble. A necessary gamble, but a gamble no less. When a Vantha set off to hunt they knew that there was a chance they would never return to their beloved city. The Vantha may have looked like fragile denizens of but they were hardy. The boar was going to see this first hand.

As the arrows continued to pierce the boar's skin he saw one last chance to get the upper hand. He threw his head up in a squeal so hostile it sounded almost like a roar. It charged at Mayjor full force. Kayin's eyes turned a bright green in fear. He dove at Mayjor knocking him out of the way. There was a moment like a flash in time when Kayin saw the boar running and then everything went black.

The boar roared in triumph as he sent Kayin flying across the snowy reaches. He tried to get up, he could not leave Mayjor unguarded. As he attempted to sit up a sharp pain shot through him and the color crimson stained the snow around him. His eyes turned a bleak greenish purple as he looked at the large beast. "Mayjor, kill it. Don't worry about me." He coughed at his words. He was in no condition to be speaking, let alone sitting up. He needed to see a Whitevine soon or he would run the risk of dieing.

With a huff the boar stared down the Frowstfawn. He had taken down the stronger and more skilled of the two hunters. He saw no issue in killing the younger one. The older hunter had been protecting him, giving him support from the sidelines. Now he was alone and exposed. This was when nerves were tested and morals questioned. What was Mayjor to do, save Kayin or follow his orders and kill the boar? Only Mayjor knew the answer.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Mayjor on October 6th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Mayjor picked himself up from the snow. His life had been saved by Kayin, and yet he was being asked to focus on the boar over that same man's growing pool of blood? The boy was conflicted. He knew deep down, however, that there would be a deep regret in him forever if he did not do what he deemed necessary. His moral fibers were much too strong to be ignored in such a way, so Mayjor made his decision. He Had his arrow taut on his bowstring, and began walking at a normal pave towards Kayin, matching the boars piercing gaze and deafening squeal with his arrow.

The arrow left it's home on the string of his bow. He kept slowly advancing towards Kayin, however, never missing a step. He knew that if the boar charged him, he would have to leap away from Kayin. Another arrow shot. Mayjor hoped he could make his way to Kayin before the boar decided to charge, but he knew if he made an all out dash towards the man it would just cause the boar to do the same towards him. So he made his way, plodding and methodically, towards Kayin. Walking towards him and having yet another arrow aimed towards the beast.

One thing burned in the boy's mind, however; whenever he reached back for a new arrow, he could feel their number growing smaller. He was running out of ammo, and he knew it.
Mayjor
The Diamond in the Rough

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 9th, 2010, 5:06 am

A small smile formed on Kayin's lips as he watched his student walking towards him. The boy was doing exactly what he wanted him to do. The truth was not every hunter in Avanthal was intelegent and if Mayjor blindly followed orders he would eventually get killed. Granted Kayin was the leader of Frostfawn which would have demanded respect for his orders. Mayjor knew what he had to do though and it showed through his actions.

A discontented grunt left the boar's throat as he stared down the hunter. He was not going to win this. The boar put up a hostile front but the truth was it's strength was faltering. It's wounds were stinging and bleeding out onto the snow. It did not help that the boar was half starved to death. The end of this struggle was coming. The boar tried to fight it but it was innevitable. The Frostfawn would win and the boar would be taken by Dira. It was the way of Taldera. 

The lack of arrows in Mayjor's possesion was becoming obvious, even to Kayin who was faltering on unconciousness. He needed to stay awake. He needed to finish the lesson. "The boar is almost finished. A few more shots and it should at least pass out from pain. From there take my Katana and slice it's throat. We are eating boar tonight." Kayin smiled and coughed. He was still in pain but the end was in sight. Botg would return home safe and in the end that was all that mattered.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Mayjor on October 10th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Mayjor arrows struck the faltering beast. In was on it's knees, it's will wavering, ready to be finished. He was out of arrows, but it did not seem like it mattered; however, he must not drop his guard. He glanced at Kayin, noticing the worsening shape of the man. Quickly following his advice, although opting to use his own sword so as not to disturb an injured man by taking his weapon, Mayjor began his trip to the boar.

The boy felt the sense of urgency as though it was a part of his being. His sword bared in his right hand, he cautiously moved to the boar. He fiercely grabbed it by the mane as it struggled and thrashed about, as he had no time to waste; or rather, Kayin had no time to waste. Using force, he pulled the boars head upward, baring its throat, which Mayjor promptly cut open. The blood was not seen or felt by Mayjor it seemed, as his mind was focusing on mounting the boar onto the horse and getting back to town as fast as possible.

Then, the boy strode over to Kayin, and quickly offered his help in mounting a horse. "Let's hurry, the longer those wounds stay untreated the worse they will be." He stated, making no attempts to hide his feelings of guilt.
Mayjor
The Diamond in the Rough

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on October 12th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Little did the boar knwo that his life was quickly coming to an end. The Vantha hunter was going to take him down and no matter what he retaliated with, today was his last day. Fleeting moments pasted and then there was the sweet release of death. The boar had joined Dira and Mayjor had proven himself as a worthy hunter of Frostfawn. The crimson blood dripped to the ground around where the boar once stood. Mayjor had come out on top, a surprise to all assembled.

The man was brave to approach the boar. He truely did not show fear where most men would had fled. It amazed Kayin. He thought for sure he was going to die out in the snow but there was hope. Mayjor lept at the boar a sliced it's throat. Kayin could nw relax. Everything was going to be fine. The boar was taken care of and if any others were going to come they would have come already.

Kayin allowed Mayjor to help him to the horse. He thought foundly of the Whitevine Healing Center and could not wait to be laying in one of their warm beds. Jedara would be angry, out of the two of them she was the one who should have been getting hurt being the leader of Icewatch. What really mattered was that he was alive and he was headed to safety. Kayin looked at Mayjor. "You are going to be a fine member of Icewatch, I can tell." He smiled and then closed his eyes. He would let Mayjor take over from here. He was in good and capable hands.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Cheshire on October 13th, 2010, 12:30 am

Character: Mayjor
Experience: Hunting +4, Archery +3, Philosophy +1, Wilderness Survival +1
Lore: Hard Life Choices

Additional Note: Very good thread. I enjoyed writing with you. I think you will be a fantastic member of Icewatch if you choose to join. PM me if you feel I missed anything.
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Previous