[The Asylum] An Interview

Alija has her interview

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Alija on November 14th, 2014, 9:30 pm

She hesitated at the door. Bethany. Be-thany. Alija rolled the name of her tongue, trying to somehow make it into a person, put a face to the name. An old woman, asking cunning trick questions. A sweet young girl who was secretly disagreeing with everything she said. Bethany could be anyone. Alija couldn't have prepared for that.

"Come in," called a voice from inside the office, muffled through the door. Alija frowned, not realising that she had knocked. She had been too lost in thought. Alina entered a richly furnished office, so different to the dingy dark rooms of her life before. Behind a dark wood desk, a red head sat patiently, endlessly sorting piles of papers. She looked up, a large smile on her face.
"Ah! The new student!" she said in delight, putting down the paper that she had been holding, "Welcome, welcome! But who am I to not introduce myself? You may call me Bethany, for that is my name."

Alija smiled shyly, and edged forward, not knowing how to act around someone who would decide her fate. Should she remain standing? Cursty?
"I'm sorry ma'am, if I appear rude, but I have had little experience," she mumbled, avoiding her stare.

"Bethany, just Bethany," she beamed back, "There is no need to be so shy! I won't bite. I've had a lot worse than you!"
Alija wondered at the last bit. Was it meant to be a bit insulting, or was it just poorly worded. Hopefully the second. Bethany pointed to a seat, plush and cushioned, and beckoned for her to sit. Alija lowered herself down slowly and carefully, as if sitting down quickly would damage the chair. She perched on it, heart racing with a mixture of fear and excitement.

"I said, you are Alija Piper?" Bethany repeated, causing Alija to snap to reality. She nodded, still shocked like a deer in the headlights. Alija felt her cheeks go red in embarrassment. How rude she must seem, not even noticing that Bethany had spoken! Bethany smiled, as if it was no big deal.
"So, Miss Piper, I hear you are already quite good in Auristics?" She raised an eyebrow, pen at the ready.

Alija nodded slowly, and began to speak, careful not to mince her words, "Yes, a wizard, from this University I believe, taught me as much as he could. But it isn't what I want to study." She smiled weakly, trying to relax. She could see Bethany scribbling something down, but as much as she wanted to try see if the Auras could hint at what, she wouldn't. Alija had promised herself not to focus on a single Aura during the interview. She had to get in the proper way, no cheating, even if it wasn't counted as cheating.

Bethany smiled and nodded, flicking papers around, obviously looking for something.
"You were born here... claim to be good at blacksmithing... here it is! Yes, that's what it says here," Bethany said, pointing vaguely at the papers, "A standard procedure, just background information."

Bethany stood up, and walked up to a large window on one of the walls. It was getting dark, the sky a deep red in the sunset. Bethany gazed out silently for a few seconds, then turned back around.

"It is getting late. Shall we begin?" Bethany asked, not expecting an answer. Alija nodded slowly, despite the fact Bethany gaze had returned to outside the window, watching as a few hurried students rushed past.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Alija on November 14th, 2014, 10:15 pm

"So, why learn magic in the first place? Why continue it now?" Bethany asked, smiling. She returned to her seat and picked her pen up, ready to write. As she waited, she span it round her fingers, staring at Alija contentedly.

Alija stopped. This was the most predictable question, yet the only one she hadn't prepared for. Why had she started magic? When she was younger it was cool, fun, something different to do. But why continue?

"Well, I honestly do not know. I know when I started, I just wanted something interesting and different to do. I guess I liked the idea of this extra power, of reading Auras," Alija answered truthfully, watching as Bethany nodded, scribbling things down, "But now.. I know it's not a game, not something to pick up, play with, then discard like a forgotten toy. But I don't have a good reason why I came here. You might not accept me because of that, but it's the truth."

Alija gulped, instantly regretting her answer. She could have lied, said what she was meant to say. Bethany would have no reason to refuse her entry then. Why didn't she... Whatever Alija thought, Bethany didn't think the same. She responded with a large grin.
"I have heard too many who lie and say what they think I want to hear. At least you told the truth. But there must be some reason, even the slightest, that you came here."

Alija bit her lip. Coming to the university was the biggest thing she had done. She was still surprised that she had mustered up the courage to do it. There must be something that helped her.

"Actually, there is. I want to learn, and then I want to teach. Learning to me makes the world, and I wamt to be part of it."
Alija stopped, waiting for Bethany to finish writing. She knew what was coming next, and started talking just as Bethany opened her mouth.
"Magic to me is something that can be taught, from me, by me. When I use it I feel complete, connected. I want others to know that feeling. I want to know it fully."

Bethany nodded in agreement. "And why Projection? Why not expand on your previous knowledge?"

"Because it is the only novice class that intrests me. I'd do Auristics, but I'm not an expert."

Bethany was silent, not even stopping to write something down. Alija felt a sudden surge of confidence: "Yet."
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Alija on November 14th, 2014, 10:29 pm

The silence was too long. Alija's confidence faded as quickly as she had gained it. It was broken by the smiling Bethany.

"What have you used your previous skills for?" she asked, as if she hadn't been there for the start of the interview. Her tone was almost mocking, but Alija ignored it.

"Nothing. I practised, that's all. I have never yet used it for a purpose that is not practising."

Bethany tilted her head in disbelief. Alija fumed inside, growing more and more annoyed with Bethany, and her actions. Yet again, she withheld herself.
"I do not know a good way to use it, without giving myself too much, or having a negative effect on others. I just... "
She didn't want to say what she was thinking: she wasn't confident enough to apply the magic to everyday life.
"That's what I want to learn here," she added, more to her thoughts than her speech. Bethany sighed, and added a few lines to.what seemed a full sheet.

"Alija," she began slowly, and Alija started to worry. What if...? "Alija, I'm sorry. You aren't accepted."

Alija couldn't believe it. She wasn' in. She wasn't going to study magic, not at the University.

"I... I... I don't understand," she gasped, not being able to accept it.
"You don't have the drive and dedication to study. You don't know why you want to study projection. Sorry," Bethany smiled comfortingly.

Alija nodded, tears in her eyes, then turned to go outside.

"Alija. You have the spirit of a great wizard. But you needed to show the dedication expected. You just sounded like a dabbler. Maybe you aren't, but..."
Alija didn't turn round once, not to reply. She wasn't in. She had messed up. A failure.
Last edited by Alija on November 15th, 2014, 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Perplexity on November 15th, 2014, 2:19 am

Hello Alija,

Firstly, while a wizard is mentioned in your Character Sheet as having taught Alija the discipline of Auristics it would not have been anyone associated with the University. I did not force you to omit this as a practitioner not associated with the University in any fashion is well within their right to teach whomever they desire. However, staff members of the College of Djed, its students and even workers are absolutely forbidden from teaching any form of magic to non-students, non-staff or approved pupils. Thus, Alija would not have learned magic from a University official in any capacity whatsoever.

Secondly, I am denying this application to the College of Djed. There is nothing in here that proves Alija has the drive, the dedication or even the passing interest in pursuing anything magical. If she doesn’t know why she wants to learn more magic, she needs to consider that question long and hard. She is little more than a fanciful dabbler. Thus, she has no place at the College. She has no legitimate reason to pursue Projection and you don’t provide one.

If Alija wants to become a teacher, she can teach Blacksmithing and she can use her Auristics to better familiarize herself with students learning needs or even study at length the nature of the materials used in Blacksmithing.

Regards,
Perplexity

Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Aladari Coolwater on May 16th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Your grades have been spotted!
________

Alija

■ Rhetoric + 2
■ Planning + 1

Lores
Lore of Self: I Can't Lie for My Own Benefit
Lore of Self: I Have the Spirit but Not the Drive
Lore of Location: College of Djed
Lore of Rhetoric: Telling the Truth is Refreshing

Additional Information
None.

________

Comments:

Don't forget to delete your post in the grading queue, and if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me about your grade!

template by Orakan
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes