Closed Deal With It (Pulren)

Lani and Pulren find themselves in a class together

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Deal With It (Pulren)

Postby Lani Stranger on July 5th, 2014, 3:04 am

15th of Spring 514AV

It was Lani's favorite class, Wildreness Survival. Although she found that the professor was a rather hard man, but she didn't doubt that his knowledge was important. And so it was a with a smile that Lani found herself in one of the University's many courtyards that early morning. It was hard to tell if it was the sunrise or the clouds that dimmed the day, but Lani was excited. The classroom time of the season was over and now they would be getting their hands dirty. Fun.

"Hardly like you to be smiling this early Lani." The professor looked up at her from another student. He was a man who was reaching the end of the 'middle-aged' category. He had enough wrinkles to match his slat-and-pepper hair accordingly. But for his rugged looks, he remained clean shaven. Something that Lani never though matched his rough but sturdy clothes or his deep voice, and yet she couldn't imagine the short human with a beard.

"Well you stuck us in a classroom taking notes for ten days, so you can hardly blame me for wanting to do the real things, even if I've done them before."

"Actually you haven't." He flashed the girl a grin, which told her he knew something she didn't. She'd been in his class one semester before and having been the one who constantly challenged him, he had taken to trying to trick her. Lani had grown accustomed to the man's deception. "I mostly showed you things to do in the mountains and woods last season. Scavenging, tracking, acquiring water. Although this season," He looked around, raising his voice as it was clear that most of the class was there "We have a fair amount of students who don't need to focus on woods-ey things. So we will be learning things that are more essential in almost any environment. Good everyone is here." Lani turned to look at the students who gathered next to her. She expected a small class and a small class was what she got. "Let's walk and talk."

As Lani scanned the students surrounding her, she found she didn't recognize anyone. Not one person had taken the class before, like she had. Before Lani adverted her black eyes and began walking, she thought she recognized a flash of green. One of the distinguishable eye colors of a human. No. Lani thought, turning back around and taking a step forward. There was not particular reason for it not to be the man from East Street, but Lani had hoped it wasn't. Despite the thrill that the night had given her, it had also been beyond terrifying and not a memory that she would have preferred to keep. Running into the man who had caused her the most stress that night was not helping.

"Okay, so! We will be doing some simple things today. The class has a clearing set aside in the woods just outside of city boundaries. This is where we do most of our stuff, like today. We are going to learn some basics. Almost everything in Wilderness Survival seems basic to me, simply because it is all important. But its hard to argue that building a fire has got to be one of the most necessary skills out of them all.: Lani was grateful for the distraction as she walked, listening to the professor's introduction. The morning had begun to mist, letting light drops of rain turning her hair heavy and dampening her clothes. After the first season in Zeltiva, Lani found that no one seemed to care all that much whether she wore shoes or not, although the fact irked her professor. But as the class walked, Lani liked the chilly smooth feeling that the dewy grass gave to her toes. Shoes would never allow you to do this. Lani thought, glancing down at her feet as she listened. But Lani's thought floated back to the face she recognized, and she found herself tuning out the professor's words.

She glanced back once more, letting her steps slow as she fell back to walk beside the man. Lani already knew she recognized the man and she knew exactly where from. Although his name seemed to escape her. Either way, the half-blood decided to play it safe, trying to be as vague as possible with her introduction. She looked at him once more before speaking up. "I think its safe to assume I know you from somewhere. However, I failed to get your name. Mine is Lani."

PC/NPC Talking -- Common -- Kontinese -- Thoughts
Last edited by Lani Stranger on August 2nd, 2014, 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Deal With It (Pulren)

Postby Pulren Marsh on July 6th, 2014, 1:01 am

Pulren hadn't been out in the mountains too often. Sure, it seemed odd for a native, but the stories of horrible unseen creatures tended to keep most Zeltivan kids on their streets and their homes. Besides, Pulren had been Pal's footstool for so many years that adventure was usually no more than a trip to the general store.

Inhaling the scents of nature was pleasant, especially with the way that the humidity made every smell cling to the nostrils. Pockets of mist clung to the low foliage, akin to the way that it could hide under the docks. Sometimes it would make him wonder if it lived its own life, moving here and there. Absentmindedness stepped aside for attention once the instructor began to speak, however. He spoke to a statuesque blonde that Pulren had recalled vaguely.

As the pair spoke, Pulren did his best to listen and recall where he had seen her before, though his mind kept creeping to the mist's charming effect on her clothes, as if the fabric retreated from its clammy touch and made her form much more noticeable. Surely he would remember a body like that. But it just wasn't clicking. The instructor mentioned that there were students who weren't so woodsy, which made him grin. He knew that the importance of this study would save his life one day, but it would most likely be when hunting parties left ships to forage for food and increase the ship stock. Still very important, though.

Was she looking at him? Pulren couldn't be completely sure, but it seemed that she had looked back at him as the group walked through the woods. Maybe he had been too forward in his ogling. He hoped not, not wanting to make an enemy in the first few moments of what might be an all day affair. Her eyes were black, like a moonless night, when she had looked back at him. It didn't jog his memory, however. He had been pretty petched on kelp beer in the first place and she was with that giant ape.

Giant ape?

Wait, it was coming back...

The instructor continued in his instruction. With no quill and paper, his memory would have to serve him best in this lecture, so he let the ape memory slide to the back of his mind. It was clear that fire building would be the heart of the lesson for the day and Pulren was looking forward to learning the skill. He wondered how it would be possible in wet environments, so the day certainly helped with its moist weather.

Apparently, the blonde was still looking at him. Her pace was slowing to match his own and Pulren soon realized that avoiding her gaze would only exacerbate the situation and its capacity for rudeness. So, he caught her gaze and kept pace while looking back into those deep inkwells.

"I think its safe to assume I know you from somewhere. However, I failed to get your name. Mine is Lani."

Pulren smiled a little and nodded. "Yeah, I sort of remember you. I remember the ape more. I was pretty drunk that night. I think, anyway. I've stopped drinking since then." He kept walking along and then it snapped into his mind like a stray branch to his face. "Pulren Marsh. Yeah, the night I nearly died. That sucked. Nice to meet you, Lani."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Deal With It (Pulren)

Postby Lani Stranger on November 16th, 2014, 8:08 pm

"Pulren."Lani tasted the word on her tongue, vowing to remember it. She glanced up at the group in front of them quickly. She'd rather no miss the pre-instruction that the professor gave as the small class walked down towards the beach, but she also wouldn't want to miss the chance to talk to this man. "He was a Jamoura, by the way. The ape. Beautiful creatures, I think so at least." Lani offered her opinion, keeping her eyes averted from the human beside her. Even though he clearly was not nearly as scared of her as some would be, he also didn't seem like a man that Ssena touched often. His remark about his near death was so nonchalant, it was almost amusing. The girl bit her lips, conversations weren't her strong point. She wanted to start spitting out facts about Jamoura, too keep the conversation going, but she doubted he was that interested. "Have you taken this class before?"

Lani's weak question burst out and she glanced at the man. She knew the answer, based on the fact the she was the only returning student, but she still asked the question. She let her soulless eyes graze his forehead instead of meeting the shocking emerald eyes before turning away, bringing a hand up to brush the brittle blonde bangs from her face. She was not an embarrassed or bashful girl, ever. It was odd how quickly she started to think about her words instead of just spitting them out. Even more surprising how she forced her million-and-one questions down, very aware of how this man would perceive her. Maybe it was simply the fact that she had seen him nearly die, and yet maybe she just wasn't feeling good today. "The professor isn't that bad. If you don't ask him questions, he will leave him alone. But if you mess with him too much, he grades you a little harder." Lani ran with the assumption that he hadn't met this professor before. "But he's a nice man." She offered at last, trying not to make the man think that he chose a bad class.

oocWould you accept an apology for how impossibly late this is? ^-^'

PC/NPC Talking -- Kontinese -- Common -- Thoughts
Lani Stranger
Wanderer

Words: 697231
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) Power Fork (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Deal With It (Pulren)

Postby Pulren Marsh on November 20th, 2014, 12:48 am

Jamoura. So, giant sentient apes had names. "Jamoura. Is that the breed? I have never seen any apes other than in books. Oh, no, I also saw one in a cage on a ship when I was younger. I think." He shrugged. Did it really matter? What was the chance that he would see another giant ape? At least he could be sure that it wasn't a hallucination from drinking. He knew from Uncle Pal that once you started seeing full on visions when drinking, you were pretty much done.

"Hmm? No, I haven't. It's part of my certification for Exploration, actually. I'm definitely looking forward to it. How about you?" She seemed nice enough, Pulren thought to himself as the group walked closer to the beach. He was watching where his feet landed, his attention on her but his eyes to where his feet would land. Wouldn't be much of a class with a turned ankle. Next she was offering advice about the professor, but since the man was in sight, the Guard thought best not to respond to her question. Why was she being so nice? Had something happened that night that he wasn't aware of? Maybe he would wait to see what she said about it, if anything. The group had reached their destination, so best to listen up.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Deal With It (Pulren)

Postby Ssezzkero on October 8th, 2018, 4:56 pm

LANI
+1 Observation, +1 Socialization

PULREN
Message me when you return.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)