Closed [The Prairie]A True Page Turner[Elaine Spade]

Clyde and Elaine meet to do some light reading

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[The Prairie]A True Page Turner[Elaine Spade]

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 5th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Chapter two was a short one, relatively, only a page or two describing the system of Clyde's invention that broke up Reimancy spells into manageable sizes and segments. It didn't work for any other magic, was only for Reimancy, but it worked well enough for Clyde's purposes. He had a slight hope that perhaps it would become a well used system of classification, but this was simply a small side dream, not something Clyde often thought about.

He was far to busy to dwell on such a small thing as being a published author, with all the other things he had before him.

"You always amaze me. I kinda feel like a stupid child when you explain these. My thoughts are too simple yet yours."

Clyde simply shrugged back at Elaine, taking his eyes off the books for a moment as he replied.

“Its not so odd, Reimancy is an area of expertise for me, and its not for you. It would be odd if I didn't know more about it than you, didn't understand it more deeply than you. Its not about intelligence, its about time and energy devoted to it, to understanding it. At this point I think about Reimancy as easily as... Well easily. I'm sure there are things you know about that I don't. I've simply narrowed my focus to magic more so than most people. And so for that I know much of it, of Reimancy and its intricacies.”

Turning back to the books, Clyde continued scribbling and scratching away, copying down the texts onto the various books. Happy that this was a short chapter, and there were only two more left.

"It's strange. This makes me wonder. I should test what my soulmist is capable of. I think I haven't used it full potential but I intend to do it."

Clyde nodded. Soulmist was for instance a thing he did not fully understand. It was an intrinsic part of Elaine, but he had yet to fully grasp it and how it worked, and its uses. Mostly he'd learned from observation.

"So 1+1 is not equal 2 in here.."

Clyde smiled and shook his head, this time still writing as he spoke, not looking up this time to respond.

“Yes and no. You misunderstand though. One and one still equal two, but only two of the same. You cannot go from one tier to another by simply adding together many smaller spells. Instead, two moderate spells equal two moderate spells. One hundred petty spells equals one hundred petty. You can still add, but not across tiers. It makes the classifying much easier, since really you couldn't add them together, not with each tier being more of a ranged, more so than a fixed power level.”

Clyde continued writing, nearing the end, or close enough to it, of the page, as Elaine asked another question. This time it was asking if he'd truly invented the system himself, and perhaps congratulating him on it. He had made it up, more or less on the spot, using his own experiences and knowledge of Reimancy to make a fitting system of classifying.

"You came up with this yourself? Nice!"

“Yep. It seemed the simplest solution for the problem at hand. Its use is twofold. One for describing your own actions, and those of spells you see. Two is for labeling purposes, such as in the case of spells stored in Glyphing scrolls and such. That way you have a better idea of what is inside, simply by the labeling.”

Fnishing off the last bit of the last page, Clyde listened to Elaine's next question, taking it in and waiting to finish the line of text he was copying before stopping.

"Do you use Reimancy daily? Is it something you use for everyday situations? "

“No, not really. I use it when I must, or when the situation demands it. Reimancy is not something to be thrown about willy nilly. Only those who disrespect the magic would do as such. I could use it daily, but I don't. Honestly though, most of what I do is minor spells, at least for my respective skill in Reimancy. So usually when I do use it, its not too draining. But I still only use it when I must.”

Turning the page in his book, Clyde found himself on the start of the third chapter. It was a long one, perhaps the next to largest chapter. Similar to chapter one in that regard, but in a different way. He'd even made a small joke, or as close to Clyde got to a joke in the book, in the reference to air availability.

“Here is the start of chapter three, only one more chapter after this. Though this ones a bit long. It starts out with a bit of theory, and then get in to a bit of practical theory. Or at least, as close as theory ever comes to having practical applications.”

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elaine Spade on August 11th, 2014, 4:33 pm

Clyde hardly looked up from the books as he was busy writing. He answered all of her questions though without fail.
It was true, it would be odd if she could outsmart him about Reimancy. Still, his logic was a bit odd for her. Flying with Earth. She wasn't sure if she would have such a magic she would even consider such thing. But again as she said, her thoughts are too simple. She didn't know.

Yes and no and yes she misunderstood something again. He explained it and she was a bit confused still. Took her a few chimes to understand he said. After a while she thought she got it. "I see."
And she didn't use it as regularly as she thought. Using for his personal comfort. If he could use it for that many purposes... Though he again said respect. It seemed respect was an important part of magic. Or at least from his book it seemed so.

She nodded as he turned the page.
-Chapter 3- Transmutation versus Attraction (With a note to the latter's common availability by element, and with a sub-note to Glyphing for the former)

At least she knew a few things about Glyphing by the time. If nothing else, that could help. She resisted to ask what Transmutation and Attraction meant. She read forward and it pretty much explained it. Transmute to create an element from res. It was for quick use. You didn't have to find the element around you but create it yourself."Playing with fire gets a new meaning I guess." She said as she read further.

Attraction required time. Use it for bigger uses of Reimancy. It also required to use it for transmuted elements unless you used them right away. "Wow.." She said silently.
Elaine Spade
Player

Words: 166350
Joined roleplay: October 30th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 11th, 2014, 7:27 pm

After that round of questioning, it seemed Elaine was done with questions. At least for the moment. Or perhaps it had finally occurred to her that the information might simply be listed further in the book, and she would be better off reading first, to avoid asking a question that would be answer momentarily. Clyde wasn't sure which reason she had.

Not that it really mattered, since it simply meant more time for him to scribble away, copying down the text. Finished with the last chapter, he pressed on to chapter three, making it through the beginning explanation part, and then hitting the longer bit which discussed each element in detail.

As he began on these, and Elaine likely read along through the chapter or thought it over, she made occasional comments to Clyde's writing, and previous answers to questions.

"I see."

"Playing with fire gets a new meaning I guess."

Clyde paused for a moment, shaking his head. She had no idea. He'd had a few accidents messing about with fire as a youth in Syliras, not fully respecting it. He'd burnt his lips one testing out a new spell, a firespitting kind of thing... After that he'd learned to make sure the res was further from you before transmuting it. He'd also managed to set his own pants on fire, while he wore them, during a small experimentation involving glyphing and reimancy, and storing a fireball in said glyphing. A early attempt at scroll usage.

He'd long since surpassed such simple usages. Now a scroll was to him as a rabbit was to a man who'd taken down a bear with nothing but his two hands.

"Wow.."

“Yes well, much of what I know was hard learned. I've earned my share of knowledge through hard work, blood, sweat, and battle. I've also seen some interesting things...”

“I once got into a fist fight with a zith, or close enough to it, him with his claws and myself with my staff and dhed. I had to transmute res I'd forced down his throat, while he was right before me, still atop me trying to rip out my throat. If it hadn't been for my old trusted staff, I wouldn't have been able to keep him at bay far enough and long enough to keep clear. All I had to show for it was a few small cuts, and a slightly gashed up staff.”

“But that was ages ago. I've refined my Reimancy usage by large measures. I've faced far worse situations since then, and fared far better.”

Turning back to his writing, Clyde pressed on, copying down the various bits about each individual elements, and then pressing on to the afterword bit of the chapter, which made reference to Glyphing.

He'd continue on to the end of the third chapter, unless seriously interrupted by Elaine.

Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on November 19th, 2014, 8:51 pm

While the end of chapter three was not anything amazing or new, it was still an important thing to cover. The distinction between the magical nature of transmuted res, and the non-magical nature of attracted elements, was an important one.

As Clyde finished up writing that bit into each of the books, he let out a sigh.

All that was left was the last chapter, number four, a short one that filled in a few leftover uncovered areas that where not of direct importance but still needed to be covered.

Turning from each book to the next, writing in the copies from his original text, Clyde filled in each book page by page, going through all of it eventually.

By the time he was done he'd gone through quite a bit of ink, and his hand was both starting to cramp from the work, and had a small splattering of spilled ink upon it.

The last chapter covered res decay, and res reabsorption, opposite ideas. Res decay was discussing the fact that once res was exuded, it was slowly lost to decay, as it rotted and lost cohesion, or was returned to the ambient world. Clyde was not certain of the exact nature of how it worked, or why, but he knew that res once outside of the wizard would not last forever.

As for reabsorption, it was the act of reclaiming unspent and undecayed leftover res when one was finished spellcasting. It often saved a bit of djed, though obviously it would be better to have not exuded it to begin with if you were not going to use it, seeing as some would still be lost in the time between exuding and reabsorption. But Clyde also knew every little eke and bit helped, and it was better to absorb a little back, than to get nothing back. Likewise in some cases, such as life or death, it was better to exude a bit more, rather than to die...

Finishing up copying down his original work into all of the newly minted copies of his treatise, Clyde began to gather up his things. He would wait a bit, giving the ink some time to dry, and then would gather up all of his possessions, ink, quills, papers, and now newly copied texts on his original treatise on Reimancy.

He had his original text, and now five more copies, meaning a total of six examples of his work and knowledge now existed. It made each less valuable, less unique, but also meant he had more to spread about, and could possibly give one away without then not having one for himself, or for later use.

Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ink on December 5th, 2014, 4:18 am

Fate has dictated the conclusion to your journey...

...And now, only Fortune awaits you.

I am Ink, Mistress of Sahova; and it is my pleasure to award you with this bounty of XP and Lore. If you have any questions regarding this Grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. Fret not, I tend not to smite...often.

Clyde Sullins
XP
  • Writing 5
  • Logic 1
  • Storytelling 1
  • Organization 2
LORES
  • Theory of Reimantic Flying: Earth?
  • Copying My Own Book
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Loot: 5 Copies of "A Treatise on Reimancy: By Clyde Sullins"

With Regards,