Closed Mercy and Other Useless Things

(Evalin) The ocelot meets another Nuit.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Mercy and Other Useless Things

Postby Kalina on December 31st, 2014, 4:12 pm

21st Day of Winter, 514AV

Once again, the scent had been lost; though the grey ocelot had no idea what the scent had belonged to. She knew it was prey, however, and that was all that mattered to her. Kalina had tried so hard to keep her nose close to the ground, and keep close to the scent of the prey. Since her fist sighting of a deer back in the Wildlands, when she and the rest of her party were travelling from Ravok to Nyka, she had been desperate to spy another, and possibly even catch one, and this new scent smelt somewhat similar to the scent she recalled for the buck. Fully grown now, it was pride which drove her to the almost obsessional desire to bring down a larger prey animal now. Her previous kills had only consisted of rodents and suchlike, which was respectable, sure, particularly for one of the smallest species of wild cats.

But it wasn't good enough for the ocelot who had half a human mind. The ocelot glanced up, and craned her neck around to look behind her. There, in the distance, she could see Riverfall, half a bell's walk away for a human pace. The new city was different, too different. Where her expectations of normal had been a pale yellow for skin colour, here, Kalina saw mostly blues and greens. The woman who actually cared for her, Lynx, her name was, was normal looking, if a little too white. But all that ceased to matter when the ocelot Kelvic realised how well she was treated in this strange city.

"
I haven't gone that far..." the ocelot internally reasoned with the memory of Lynx warning her not to stray too far from the city. A stubborn streak, that had appeared when the girl was much younger, was only exacerbated by the hormonal upheaval that was occurring within her body. "I'm an adult now anyway," and this was almost true - as a human, the Kelvic appeared to be a young teen, her slight form giving her an even younger appearance. But, at ten seasons old, as an ocelot, Kalina was now fully grown, considered an adult by her ocelot kin. Physically, she was more than capable of handling herself, though some of that might have been the over-confidence forcing its way through.

The young Kelvic doubled back on herself, intent of finding the scent she had previously been following. Nose to the ground, she made no effort to limit the sound of each of her footfalls; the scent had been masked by a number of other smells, so Kalina knew that the animal was long gone and would not hear her. Mere chimes later, she returned to a stretch of land that had been damaged by... something travelling thought it. Broken twigs and flattened grass and dead leaves signalled to Kalina that it was a well trodden path, perhaps because it was so close to the city, and she knew that she would find no animals so close to ground that reeked so strongly of man. Crossing the path, she continued on, and that was where she met with the scent once again.

Predatory instinct took over the Kelvic, stripping the humanity away from the girl and leaving behind a lethal feline. This time, she would not fail. The scent was still relatively strong, not like some of the others she had followed in the Wildlands. That told her that the deer had recently been here, and couldn't be too much farther ahead. Her stomach dropped to the ground as she traces it, her slit pupils dilating in the sudden desire for her prey. It was this position that gave the small feline an advantage over other wild cats; they could not hide on the ground as easily as she could, and her ability, if she could stay silent for long enough, would mean that she could execute the perfect ambush.

As she sneaked forward, keeping low amongst the undergrowth, her paw steps remained slow, deliberate and silent. "
Remember last time, remember when you jumped too soon." Her better-than-perfect-eyesight could see something in the near distance, something that looked out of place amongst the bushes and foliage. A low, feral growl escaped her as she continued to creep forward, using the almost leafless bushes as cover; her spotted fur was random, making it the perfect camouflage. Kalina was silent enough that her prey still had no idea of the approaching enemy. She began to salivate; an unconscious reaction to the desire for fresh meat.

Kalina
Come and play.

Words: 177677
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on January 3rd, 2015, 3:52 am

Evalin sighed softly as she extended her arms out to her side, tilting her head back and closing her eyes as she felt the sun's rays on her bare flesh. Out here, many chimes from the city, for a time Evalin let her disguises drop and she could 'relax' unlike the state she rested in within the boundaries of Riverfall. Here the tall grasses shielded her, and anonymity protected her form from prying eyes.

Pale skin was shown without an article of clothing to hide it from Syna's gaze, but the Immortal cared not for the warmth was somewhat comforting after the chill of the darkness. Her robes and cloak were all folded neatly to the side, her staff resting among the pile.

"A moment of respite well needed..." Evalin said softly, lowering her arms and opening her eyes to look at the orb that drifted slowly toward her, "Grow I all the more stagnant in this place... yet know I not what to do to overcome this."

"Time brings with it inspiration, and answers to those who await them." Tsenrika replied in his cold tone.

"Be that so?" Evalin shrugged and raised her hands before her eyes, moving each finger one at a time until she held up two fists, "Worry I that this will remain indefinitely. Confusion exists now where clarity once dwelt, and Evangeline stirs deep deep inside. Thought i that such things were put behind me."

"A curious occurrence to be sure. This place, the air, it..." The Irylid paused and in her mind Evalin could almost see him shake his head and smile, "It is nothing."

Raising an eyebrow Evalin extended one hand to gently touch the Familiar's smooth surface, "Have you thoughts I know not of?"

"Thoughts and nothing more surely my Master understands." he drifted away, and Evalin let her hand fall to her side once more, "Thoughts from the heart of my heart are well accepted and desired."

The Irylid paused and Evalin could feel the pull on their bond as his form shifted and shimmered, and in the place of the orb stood an identical copy of Eva herself, back to the original though Tsenrika turned to look behind him. Pushing the long black hair behind one ear Tsenrika smiled and he whispered, "Is that so?"

Smiling slowly in return Evalin came closer and Tsenrika turned to meet his master, the two embracing close as Evalin searched the creatures eyes, their faces a mere breath apart, "Forever be it so... Know you this my dear Tsenrika."

This time Tsenrika's grin showed the pointed teeth and extended canines that he and his master possessed in this form, "Then my thoughts you shall know." His hands slid over her back, one falling to her lower spine and the other taking a strong hold on the Immortal's neck and pulled her ever closer, "Think I that it be odd that such things would plague my master... and myself when this trip be only just completed."

"Oh...?" Evalin whispered, her own hands circling into Tsenrika's hair as she gazed deeply into his matching red iris', "You as well have felt... different?"

"When have you known this servant of yours to... feel as I do now...?" The Irylid deepened their link, at the same time pulling Evalin even closer as the arm on her back pressed their fronts together, as if longing to be one. The Immortal could feel it, deep within the icy cold of the Irylid's soul something... glowed that should not glow. A warmth, a change in the fundamental part of what he was that she had never noticed, or perhaps what was not there before?

"See I now." Evalin tilted her head so that her cheek brushed Tsenrika's and she closed her eyes, "Know I not the cause, but something has changed us..."

But is this really so bad...? Evalin thought. These feelings were so...

"Human." Tsenrika finished, pulling back so that he could look Evalin in the eyes once more, both hands sliding now to the Nuit's hips, "Know you as well as I that such things should be gone from my Master... Yet still they reside."

"Yes." Evalin bit her lip and looked sideways before back to the Familiar's firm gaze, "Yet still I do wonder..."

There was no sound heard, or a warning to notice, but Tsenrika still paused and looked over Evalin's shoulder with eyes that looked for something that may, or may not be there. Noticing Evalin blined and looked back as well, whispering softly, "What see you?"

"Nothing... but feel I the eyes of another upon us. Wonder I if they be real, or imagined."

Both then would look about, half expecting something or someone to come out though neither broke their embrace. With a smile Evalin called out firmly, "Be you phantom, sector or friend, care I not. Come to the light so that we might see you fully."

"If it be a figment of imagination," Evalin said softly with a look of amusement to Tsenrika, "Expect you to find my laughter haunting your every waking hour."

OOCHope this is ok :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kalina on January 4th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Rats were easy to kill, relative to a dear, or to… to whatever it was that she was following. In the Kelvic Research Institute, Kalina had often been get rats. Dead or alive, the scent remained the same and the young ocelot knew the smell better than she remembered that of her mother. Knowing the smell so well, it was easy for her to track it, and she succeeded many times that she tried. She knew the smell, and so she could waste less of her energy concentrating on the scent, rather than devoting her full attention to following the trail. The fact that there were were a lot of them made it the ideal prey for the kelvic; families consisting of enough that she was normally guaranteed to catch at lest one of them, maybe even two. The more the better, in her eyes, though, as they were small, and her stomach didn't always feel the satisfaction of the kill from just one of them.

But today was a new prey, and half of her focus was devoted to the new smell, and she found it more difficult to follow the trail. As she continued to follow the trail for longer, however, it occurred to Kalina that she might not be far off her desired prey, and her pace slowed. Instantly, the sounds around her were hushed - for a while, all she heard was the sounds of nature around her, and her own contributions were more hushed. Her body was low to the ground, her white under-belly hidden as it brushed against the grass and weeds that made up the ground. The rest of her golden-grey and black fur was better as camouflage among the grass, the perfect disguise. Moss green eyes stared out into the distance, peering around solid entities in her way as she tried her best to scout out her prey.

But she couldn’t see it, so she edged closer, nose still against the ground as she tracked it, trying to work out which direction it had gone in. She extended her claws, feeling the earth shift beneath her as she dug into the ground for a moment, testing the soil. Her wide paws were perfect for this, as they spread her weight evenly, meaning that she could move nigh on silently through the undergrowth. With relative ease. And a second scent crossed the path of the one that she had been following, one that caused her to pause, confused by the scent which was significantly more potent.

It smelled of death. It smelled as if a rotting carcass had just ben dragged over this spot, away from the city, but Kalina could not distinguish a second smell, one that might mark who had done the dragging. It was as if the carcass had dragged itself. And then she remembered. She remembered the undead being in Zeltiva, and she remembered the overwhelming stench of death that had overloaded her senses upon her arrival in the island of Sahova. She remembered the fear that she had felt during those seasons around the unnatural beings, and she remembered how Annalisa had protected her from the beasts.

Instinct told her to flee, to leave her prey, forget the Nuit and return to the safety of the city. But the ocelot kelvic had more than a sliver of human curiosity, and she could not resist changing her course to follow the new trail of death away from the city. Even though Kalina was no longer tracking her prey, she exercised more caution than she ever had before. A momentary loss of attention could result on the snap of a twig, or the crackle of dried leaves, which would alert her new quarry to her presence. Slowly, she began to stalk closer, following her nose and ears rather than her eyes. The smell grew stronger and stronger with each step until she was able to hear the spot voices of two nearby. A number more steps, some of which were paced impossibly slow, and, through a low bush, she could see two figures.

Two identical figures. The grey ocelot did not move, instead staring in awe at the two tall, slender women, who were in conversation with one another. She could not comprehend what they were saying, but even for her ears, she was a little too far away from the pair to be able to truly discern the individual words. She would move closer. But that first step proved the girl was taking over from the ocelot, and her concentration was lost. The single step, and the snap of the twig, was all that was needed to give her away.

The woman spoke, addressing the grey ocelot, and the wilderness as a whole. And Kalina did not move, as the fear that Annalisa had instilled in her, unbeknownst to the kelvic, still weighed heavily on her mind. The curse was not so potent as to actively affect her now, but the little kelvic was suggestible. And the smell was putrid. But if she attempted to flee, she would be seen, and with two dead monsters before her, she might not survive an escape attempt. No. She would remain until they had departed. She crouched lower, trying to hide herself in the undergrowth.

Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evalin on January 9th, 2015, 8:03 pm

There was silence after the call, and the Immortal's smile grew as she looked back at Tsenrika, "How amusing that you are indeed feeling things that are not there."

"The seeds of madness dwell within us all." Tsenrika shrugged.

"Indeed so." Evalin laughed and came closer once more, wrapping her arms around the Familiar's waist and resting her head against his shoulder, "Perhaps more so within those such as us than perhaps others..." She felt a hand brush through her hair as Tsenrika pressed his other hand against her back. The touch was warm, welcomed, and somehow it made the Nuit relax in a way that nothing else could.

"Would i not be surprised if such were true." Tsenrika replied. His eyes still searched the area around them, something deep in his core causing him to doubt that they were in fact alone... yet there was no evidence in the world that such were the case. Thus after a few ticks he too returned his attention to his partner, petting her hair gently as he looked down at her with a gaze that softened somewhat, "Think you yet of what must be done?"

Evailn's eyes blinked open and she looked up, "What mean you by this?"

"What shall be done with us... Came we not here with a purpose?"

"Oh yes, surely we must have." she said softly laying her head against his shoulder once more, "But I am unable to quiet... grasp that intent any longer. There it is still, deep inside, yet as I try to gaze upon it my eyes and mind wanter unlike before. Curious... Somehow it gives me comfort, the thought that I might not know what my purpose here is now. It does give us more reason to stay than it should."

The Familiar's hand stilled on the Immortal's hair, "Believe I that this is even greater reason to be on our way. It clouds the visions, this place. It's peace is..."

"You are enjoying it." Evalin did not look up, but she did not have to in order to guess what the Familiar's expression was. She was right, for deep down she could feel it. Tsenrika was growing accustomed to the peaceful nature of this city, of its people. Surely there was something greatly amiss here, but neither he nor Evalin could seem to pull upon their old selves to feel the outrage that was deserved to that which would alter them so.

"It should not be as it is. Know I within my mind how I should speak, act and feel. Yet still the soul does not respond how it is supposed to." He wrapped Evailn fully in an embrace, closing his eyes as he did, "You feel it here, deep inside. A warmth in a heart of ice that never should be. It is unnatural."

"Doubt I that at the very least." Evalin said as she leaned back, reaching up to gently stroke the Familiar's cheek, "Within all creatures there lies a potential for good and evil, cold and warmth. Perhaps it is that with us such things were buried deep deep within, and now they begin to surface."

A frown deepened on the Familiar's face, "Never should such words come from the lips of my Master. THAT is unnatural, this is unnatural what we are becoming. More and more we are--"

"Human?" Evalin whispered. Her expression softened somewhat as well, a frown on her own looks as she looked away, "I do not mind it so much. Indeed I enjoy... feeling as I do."

"It is just like within the caves of Zinrah."

"No." Evalin pulled back, crossing her arms over her chest and looking sideways at the Familiar who let his arms fall to his sides, "Know I still what I want and how it must be done... but feel I not consumed by my passions and throws of misery. There is... contentment within me as I am now, something I have not known in a very long time."

Shaking his head Tsenrika raised his hands at his sides, "You will grow complacent, static, uncaring if such were to continue."

"Think you so?" Evalin shrugged and looked away, "Think I it is the opposite. To feel mortal feelings again... it does inspire me so."

OOCI stopped this short before I got carried away ^.^
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kalina on February 3rd, 2015, 1:24 pm

She was talking to herself. Literally. There were two of them and they were speaking to one another. For a moment, Kalina wondered if there was something in the waters of Riverfall that made illusions all the more potent, as well as turning the men to all shades of blue and green. She remembered the wonders she had seen in S’ova. Could this be magic? Surely there was no other way that two people could be born to look so similar. Even animals had differed from one another, with different markings on their skin.

The pair embraced then, as their conversation continued - apparently they were willing to accept that insanity claimed them, rather than investigate the possible nearness of another creature. Not only were they identical, but they also appeared to be weak… in mind, at least - their acceptance of their own folly was a foreign concept to Kalina, who was ruled by predatorily instinct half the time, and childlike stubbornness the other half. She knew that not all Nuits could be as these two were, else why would Annalisa felt the need to warn her of the dangers of being around the decaying species?

But the pair in front of her? No, these two must be the anomaly, the ones cast out from S’ova, perhaps? They smelt the same, no doubt about that, but in essence they were different. The grey ocelot found herself reminded of rabbits: prey that could be easily tricked, easily lulled into a false sense of security. Karina had often amazed herself at how closely she could approach the fluffy creatures before being detected. Sometimes she did not even give chase, enjoying the game far more than a desire to satiate her hunger. Stealth and the luck of camouflaging fur gave her that advantage against rabbits. And apparently against Nuits.

But…” it occurred to her, “rabbits will flee, they will push their bodies and fight for the right to keep on living.” She wondered if the same could be said for these women. But Annalisa’s warning resonated in her mind, so attacking - which would have been her first idea - was not advisable. She firmly believed that these women were not dangerous, but she could not forget the Mage’s words. Coming to a decision, a flash of bright light engulfed her as the small feline form morphed into the adolescent form of a human girl. Her bare, now unprotected foot could not avoid the thorn that had been undisturbed by her much smaller paw, and Kalina hissed in pain as she scrambled to remove it from the ball of her foot.

When the girl stood, she expected that her noisy transformation would have given her an audience, though all grace was lost as she attempted to balance most of her weight on her uninjured foot. Appearing not much older than fourteen or fifteen, Kalina’s slight form was beginning to change. Hair grew thick where it hadn’t before, and fat began to weigh down her chest. She had tried more exercise, to rid herself of what she had originally thought of as excess, but she had been unsuccessful, and her breasts continued to grow.

It’s not clever to turn your back on your suspicions, you know.” Kalina’s voice remained high in pitch and her words and pronunciation were clumsy, losing her credence but, determined, she continued with her poorly planned rebuke. “Something might eat you.” When only the light breeze could be heard, and Kalina did not receive the shocked reaction that she was evidently hoping for, she stumbled to throw together some more words, “Uh..” She knew what she wanted to say, but just couldn’t formulate it. They were weak, and foolish, to dismiss sounds so readily…

The girl shuffled uncomfortably, deciding that perhaps it would have been easier to attack the pair. She made no effort to approach as, even from this distance, Kalina felt uncharacteristically uneasy. Her stomach churned and a small voice echoed this growing discomfort: “
Leave. Flee. Now.” But she stood her ground, despite all logic and reason, to finish her lame rebuke. “I mean… you’re not immortal… you can’t live forever. So… you can’t live like rabbits, you know.

OOCI think she's cute... taking all words literally. And the Gods only know what force is keeping her there. Maybe she's turning into a pretentious little thing.
Kalina
Come and play.

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes