Cry Sanctuary (Mao, Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Dhanya on September 26th, 2010, 6:35 am

The water and the kind words finally began to seep beneath her tension. The Konti seemed to trust she would do fine and she had always found it easier to trust other's judgement over her own. Though she'd had little time to get used to the feeling of her children within her, she found herself longing to meet them. Her pregnancy had been so short and unexpected that she had only just begun to see them as real. Now they were here and even if the future was something she no longer looked forward to, her present was still something to be savoured.

You are in luck. I was born on the grasslands. I'm Kavala here, but there I am Kavala Denusk of the Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan. My father is Ankal there. I learned my medical skills and healing on the Sea of Grass among the people there. I helped many births there. I know how to bring a Drykas child into the world properly. The father will be proud.

Kavala Denusk. Sister of Vanator.

Dhanya flinched visibly. She nodded, breathing deeply and wondering at how she finally seemed to have had enough of panic for the day. What was she going to tell her? She couldn't not tell her. She was pretty good at confusion and misdirection but she was utterly shite at direct lying. Particularly if she was lying to someone that was delivering her unborn children into the world. She listened as Kavala explained what would happen, feeling less pain since Kavala had rubbed whatever it was she had rubbed onto her back.

They would talk. Not about Van yet. He was unimportant and would remain so until she took the children to meet him. She would believe that because there was nothing she could do about it until then.

She took a deep breath.

"If I have a girl, I want to name her after my mother, Katya." Dhanya said, "If it's not a girl or if I have two daughters, I'd like to name one after Ionu. He's my god."

She thought about it for a moment.

"Well, I worship him. It's not like Kelvics really have a special one. I like to think he's fond of people like me."

It was taking a lot of effort not to blurt out that she knew who Kavala was. It was even harder not to ask about how a man could be proud of children he had when the mother was a goat and he was married to someone better.
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Dhanya on September 26th, 2010, 1:17 pm

The water and the kind words finally began to seep beneath her tension. The Konti seemed to trust she would do fine and she had always found it easier to trust other's judgement over her own. Though she'd had little time to get used to the feeling of her children within her, she found herself longing to meet them. Her pregnancy had been so short and unexpected that she had only just begun to see them as real. Now they were here and even if the future was something she no longer looked forward to, her present was still something to be savoured.

You are in luck. I was born on the grasslands. I'm Kavala here, but there I am Kavala Denusk of the Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan. My father is Ankal there. I learned my medical skills and healing on the Sea of Grass among the people there. I helped many births there. I know how to bring a Drykas child into the world properly. The father will be proud.

Kavala Denusk. Sister of Vanator.

Dhanya flinched visibly. She nodded, breathing deeply and wondering at how she finally seemed to have had enough of panic for the day. What was she going to tell her? She couldn't not tell her. She was pretty good at confusion and misdirection but she was utterly shite at direct lying. Particularly if she was lying to someone that was delivering her unborn children into the world. She listened as Kavala explained what would happen, feeling less pain since Kavala had rubbed whatever it was she had rubbed onto her back.

They would talk. Not about Van yet. He was unimportant and would remain so until she took the children to meet him. She would believe that because there was nothing she could do about it until then.

She took a deep breath.

"If I have a girl, I want to name her after my mother, Katya." Dhanya said, "If it's not a girl or if I have two daughters, I'd like to name one after Ionu. He's my god."

She thought about it for a moment.

"Well, I worship him. It's not like Kelvics really have a special one. I like to think he's fond of people like me."

It was taking a lot of effort not to blurt out that she knew who Kavala was. It was even harder not to ask about how a man could be proud of children he had when the mother was a goat and he was married to someone better.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on September 26th, 2010, 9:32 pm

ImageWhile Dhanya was talking, Kavala carefully sent Mao off to gather a few things the kelvic knew the location of. One was her birthing kit, the other was her herb bag. Whether she wanted it or not, Dhanya was given a large wooden mug of iced water and a pitcher filled with the same set along the tubs rim. The stone tub was huge, far large enough for three or four Akalak to bathe in and had been designed by the Konti for such an occasion. Births were important, and Kavala knew that Dhanya's was doubly so.

She was the first kelvic to give birth in what Kavala was starting to see as a kelvic sanctuary. "You know, Dhanya, your children are going to be very special. They are the first born here, other than foals, since the facility opened. I meant this place for a hospital for animals and kelvics. In the city they aren't treated with as much care as perhaps they should be getting. Women get access to the hospital, but kelvics have no place. They are somewhat considered 'pets' here in Riverfall. I don't agree with that at all. Which is why I built Sanctuary. You honor us by being here." The Konti said softly, stripping off her clothing. The konti had no shyness of her nakedness, especially among women. She slipped into the tub with Dhanya and beneath the water to check on her again. She was three-quarters of the way dilated and it wouldn't be long.

"Did you have a surge of water earlier? I should have asked. It doesn't look like your water has broken yet, but if I'm in the tub I'll be able to see it better. The water will get metallicly iron laced when it passes through my gills." Kavala said, slipping up beside laboring kelvic. She was keeping track of contractions and wanted to make sure Dhanya was not stressing her body too much by pushing to hard or the birth progressing too fast.

Kavala managed to ease the kelvic forward and slipped in behind her to rub at her shoulders and discretely listen to her heartbeat and breathing. "Mao is with child. She'll have one in about six seasons. I'll be having mine in three. It's a good experience for all of us, helping you, since we'll be first time mothers as well. What if you have two boys? That's what I want - the father is an Akalak. Mao for sure will have a boy because her son is sired by an Akalak too. She hasn't talked about names yet." Kavala said, continuing to rub Dhanya's shoulders. "Drink something too... you'll need the water to hydrate you after this birth." Kavala instructed, waiting for Dhanya to speak more.

Meanwhile Aweston put a large kettle on the stove out in the veranda, and quietly the other denizens of Sanctuary were getting ready to welcome the children in their own way. The veranda was cleaned. The large guest quarters were made ready for Dhanya's stay, and yet another helper ran to the city for supplies a pair of babies would need. Cloth diapers, powder, oil, bottles, and a wet nurse were all secured in case Dhanya couldn't nurse. A goat was even brought in to supply the milk in case the wet nurse wasn't suitable.

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dhanya on September 29th, 2010, 4:57 am

You know, Dhanya, your children are going to be very special.

Dhanya felt a bright spark of pride,

They are the first born here, other than foals, since the facility opened.

though it was shortly followed by embarrassment.

I meant this place for a hospital for animals and kelvics. In the city they aren't treated with as much care as perhaps they should be getting. Women get access to the hospital, but kelvics have no place. They are somewhat considered 'pets' here in Riverfall. I don't agree with that at all. Which is why I built Sanctuary. You honor us by being here.

"You honor me by letting me stay!" She said, gritting her teeth through a moment of pain which managed to slide through. "Seems we're hardly welcome anywhere. Makes me angry, not that I can do anything about it yet."

The yet was much more assured than it had been months before.

Dhanya listened to Kavala's questions, answering that she was sure her water had broken and blabbering again as Kavala stepped into the tub quite matter-of-factly. She hadn't had much casual contact since leaving Endrykas and while she had missed it, she found it almost surprising to recieve it now. The day had been quite a confronting one.

"Don't you mean months?" Dhanya asked, when Kavala mentioned Mao's pregnancy. "Mine was incredibly short, even shorter than that. Is that normal?"

She sounded worried again.

"Why do you want to have Akalak sons?" She let the question slip and regretted it, she didn't want to offend her host.

She knew about the Akalak. They bought Kelvic women because they didn't have any of their own. In her mind they were parasites on her race, though she didn't know yet about the women they kept from others. Having more Akalak just meant more around to use her people as broodmares or whores. She had begun to firmly think of other Kelvics as her own people. People that she wanted to meet. People who did not deserve to suffer when all they had to offer was devotion.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on October 19th, 2010, 7:03 pm

ImageKavala was focused on Dhanya completely. Not only was she reading her body's signs but she was reading her moods as well. When there was pain, Kavala watched it but didn't try to manage it. She was the type of healer that soothed only the very old and the very young when it came to pain. Otherwise, she let nature take its course knowing full well that pain was there for a purpose and one she didn't want to hinder.

She checked the kelvics progress again. She was dilating nicely and a baby would soon be crowning. "I don't know about the timeframe, Dhayna. The problem is some kelvics might follow the gestational rules of their animal forms while others might follow human gestation. I just don't know enough or have had enough experience watching multiple kelvic pregnancies from start to finish. We'll know more when you deliver, and if there's a problem we'll take care of it then. Lets just make sure there's not one before, alright?" Kavala said, stroking the Kelvic's forehead, pushing wet hair off her face. "You are doing really well. It's important to relax. Aweston is boiling water if we need it and we have a birthing kit ready so if we need any tools. Generally though, kelvics can birth better than almost anyone I've seen. I don't think you'll be any different. Your strong and fit. And willful. That's always important." Kavala said gently, meaning her words as a compliment.

Kavala gently rubbed the woman's stomach and her back, carefully continuously touching her trying to ease her pain and keep her calm while the birthing process was continuing. It also helped because once the woman grew used to her touch, Kavala could resort to simply feeling for her progress rather than looking thus keeping her head above the level of the water in the tub. Another helper, a strange woman who looked Akalak but also Konti, came bustling in with pillows which she pressed behind Pygmy's back directly into the water to support her. Then she dropped off a pitcher of water and a glass. Kavala thanked her then poured the kelvic some water.

"You might need this. Children come into the world with their mother's screaming. And they get used to it each time they scare us or worry us as they grow... but all the screaming is thirsty work, you know?"
She said, placing the glass well within Dhayna's reach and clearly showing the twinkle in her eyes that indicated she was joking... mostly.

Kavala continued her ministrations, knowing that the birth would progress faster soon. Kelvics were notoriously easy birthers. It was one of the reasons the Akalak imported them.

Dhanya's question threw Kavala a bit. Then she smiled slightly, tilted her head, and didn't consider it prying at all. "I'm pregnant now, in fact. Not as far along as you, of course, but its still an honor for me to have an Akalak son. I was born out on the Sea of Grass in the Denusk Pavilion. My mother was a Konti healer who came out to the grass on a Call. There was an illness in the Drykas horses. An epidemic. She married my father who lead his pavilion during the course of his work. I grew up there, but never felt quite like I fit in. I know now it was because I lived so far from the Sea. The Konti should never be away from the Sea. Regardless, I went to Mura after my mother's death to study medicine and healing. On my way home, I was almost there when my horse was brought down by slavers. They locked me in a cage and drove me with other women towards a place they could trade me to Zith. It was not a very pleasant experience." Kavala said, leaving a lot unsaid. But the Kelvic could tell - most knew - rape, torture, starvation just to name a few abuses. "I would have died out there if an Akalak raiding party hadn't come along and killed them. I've lived in Riverfall since. And I can tell you there's not a more noble race out there. I owe them my life. And they gave me the world. I fell in love with one of them - his name is Hatot. Being with him has healed a great deal of the pain and damage the slavers did. Without him I don't think I would be the same... nor near as happy. And now I carry his child. And because my childs father is an amazing man, I will be able to raise my son or daughter and be a deep part of their life." Kavala said softly, her heart in her eyes.

"The Akalak are thought of as monsters in a lot of circles, but they really aren't, Dhanya. Ravok breeds your fellow kelvics like crazy - cruelly. They throw away your people if they don't have a big strong animal form. The rabbits and sparrows and small wonderous creatures are fed to the larger ones that will fight in pits. But the ones that fight in pits never get out. Often they live their whole lives in those pits and don't know anything but pain and violence. The Akalak quietly buy the excess women. They ship them here to Riverfall and give them homes. The whole city is overrun with kelvics. They feed them, give them shelter, care for them, and then in return they quietly ask them to bear them sons so the Akalaks as a race can survive. I can only imagine how hard it is for them to have to ask. And your people... they can carry an Akalak child to term easily. Birthing is normally not an issue. When a human woman births an Akalak, it generally kills her. And that's twice as cruel when the Father has feelings for the mother, so they rarely do it. They would ask Konti women to bear them more sons, but we also bear daughters from their seed - daughters that are wholly Konti and not at all Akalak. So with us its a risk. Your people, though, save the Akalak daily." Kavala stroked Dhanya's face and brushed her hair yet again out of her eyes.

"To outsiders it seems cruel. But the Akalak save Kelvic lives and regard them as a miracle." Kavala said softly, solidly. It was odd, how both women were calm enough to have such a conversation, as if they shopping or dining casually. They didn't seem worried, concerned, or overly excited. At least Kavala wasn't. Dhanya was in great shape, the baby seemed fine, and all was well - so far. Miraculous, truth be told.

But speaking of miracles, a contraction hit the kelvic abruptly and Kavala stiffened, her hands on Dhanya's belly. She checked once more visually, and then smiled. "It's time. You're baby is going to put in an appearance. Breath deeply and when you exhale, push. It's okay to right now... inhale, hold it a moment, then exhale and push..." Kavala gently coaxed, remaining calm as the first child born in Sanctuary struggled its way towards the world outside its mother's womb.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dhanya on October 25th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Kavala would have felt the thrum of Dhanya’s sympathy for her experiences and how her thoughts began still, indignant, as the konti spoke to her of the slave trade. Of the gift that had been made of women like her, without them being asked if they wished to give it. And soon, she could feel the rage that Dhanya was hiding because slavery with a kinder master was still slavery and one way or another her sister Kelvics were submitting to something they had not chosen for themselves.

All she could think was that, if there were a god who gave a damn, they would have cast the Akalak into the sea long ago for using her race as whores. They were just leeching off Ravok, accomplices... That was a word Jenon would have used... Accomplices to their hateful crimes.

If they wanted women, then they should have to ask them properly, not buy them like you would by an,

Ah.

Like you would buy an animal.

Her hatred seethed but there was little time for it because her child was ready to be born and the pain was now at its zenith. So she grit her teeth and forced herself back to the present, knowing that she would not forget what she had heard and that there would be time to process it later. Time to hide if she smelt anything lumbering and blue coming her way.

She was surprised by how quiet she was being. She gritted her teeth and clenched the walls of the tub she was in, wanting to be out of the water now and tired of being wet. She huffed, suddenly wishing she could be hiding outside, in the grass. She was sure it was safer there, though nothing would be able to get to her in the stable. It was just instinct speaking.

The pain was like fire now and she wondered at how other animals could give birth standing up and walk away moments after, yet she was going to be utterly wrecked for days. She remembered that she would have to do this twice.

“Va’ you fuck!” She hissed, waiting for the pay off and screaming silently to herself that the trial would be worth it.

The stinging suddenly abated and she felt empty, she gasped, looking down, she hadn’t tried to catch her, him? Were they choking in the water? She wanted to hold it.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on November 14th, 2010, 12:55 pm

ImageThe first baby put in an appearance thrust into the world with the sound of his mother's cussing gently muffled by the warm water she rested in. Kavala gently guided the infant to the surface, half rose, and laid a towel out on the side of the tub. She laid the squirming baby boy out on the thick towel, and carefully cleaned his nose and mouth of any mucus that might be inhibiting his breathing. A quick inspection was done of the child. Kavala said nothing as she finished cleaning him up.

The cord was cut and the baby that had hair so blond it was almost white began to squall. Kavala smiled, wrapped him in another towel she didn't mind if it got wet, and handed the babe to Dhanya, making sure that his head was out of the water, but unconcerned if the rest of him stayed in the warm water snuggled in the towel. One bright blue eye and one bright green eye looked up at his mother and smiled. Then he let out a throaty wail just as contractions hit Dhanya again.

Dhanya gave birth the second child still gazing at the tiny face of the first. Kavala saw that it was a tiny girl, same shock of blond hair, only this time her eyes were toned between blue and violet. Her face though, her tiny perfect face was marred by a symbol on her brow. The seeer's gnosis marked the second child. Kavala said nothing, but cleaned and bundled her up, also handing her to Dhanya. Then she turned and attended to the placenta that Dhanya had to pass now, one for each child. Then, once that was taken care of, they could all get up, dry off, and get tucked into Sanctuaries giant bed upstairs.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dhanya on November 16th, 2010, 11:01 pm

They were beautiful. Both her son and daughter. She traced their features, looking for hints of herself or their father in their faces. She didn't think they looked like herself, then decided that was for the best. They were lovely and they were her children. Finally, after months of being with them she could hold them.

"I don't think I can stand up." Dhanya told Kavala, looking red and embarrassed.

She wanted to be out of the water and dry, to be where she could just lie and learn how to hold her twins. Unfortunately moving felt beyond her.

The crying would come to bother her soon enough, make her worry about what could be causing her children upset. For the moment she was pleased to hear them breathe and wail with their strong lungs.

She'd name him for Ionu, "O" something. She couldn't read but Jenon had tried to teach her the alphabet anyway. the I in Ionu, it could also be "ih". Ouin. Oh-oo-in. Ouin and Katya, named for her mother.

"Ouin and Katya." She said, wanting nothing more than to sleep.

She should've had friends with her, to celebrate their birth, to meet and love them. Dhanya resolved to love them more, to make up for it.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on December 13th, 2010, 7:39 am

Image "Good names..." Kavala said softly, then moved in the water, taking each child and wrapping them tightly in a swaddling cloth after spreading a healing salve on their umbilical stubs and making sure all was otherwise well with them. Then, once they were safely out of the way and resting fairly comfortably, she turned back to Dhanya and made sure she delivered both placenta intact. After inspecting the structures to make sure they were complete and there was no holes or unusual discoloration, Kavala helped Dhanya from the water. She dried Dhanya thoroughly and then slipped a simple sleeping shift over her head and bundled her in one of the robes that hung in the bathing room. She took one for herself, and then called Aweston who gently picked up the children to follow the two women back into the facility.

Once inside and once the steps were dealt with, Kavala snuggled Dhanya into Kavala's oversized Drykas bed and tucked the children in quietly beside her. The healer was tired, but it was nothing in compared to what Dhanya must be feeling.

Kavala helped Dhanya start breastfeeding first one infant, then the other. Once the babies were fed and their baby cloths checked and changed if needed, she made sure the upstairs was quiet by shooing everyone out and pulling all the long drapes over the fine curtians that graced each window.

In a short time everything was quiet and dark enough for Dhanya to settle down and nap at least for a few hours. Kavala would sit by, waiting like she was on vigilance, and make sure everything was seen too while the new mother and her babies were asleep.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cayenne on May 16th, 2011, 8:57 pm

That was an incredibly detailed and informative thread. Very well written and well done.

I hereby award the following:

Kavala
Animal Husbandry: 2 XP
Medicine: 5 XP
Interrogation: 2 XP
Persuasion: 5 XP
Rhetoric: 5 XP
Lore: Catching Upset Horses
Lore: Pre-birth Kelvic Checkups
Lore: Usefulness and Benefits of Water Births
Lore: Presiding Over Kelvic Multiple Births
Lore: Ravok's Kelvic Cruelty