[Daegron's scrapbook] Perpetual Resonance

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Vizayas on December 20th, 2014, 4:59 am

Daegron wrote:I'll kick this off with a musical piece that gives me the shivers

I play this on the piano, maybe I'll upload that sometime.
ImageImageImage
Vizayas
Squire Mage

Words: 113870
Joined roleplay: January 23rd, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Daegron on January 4th, 2015, 9:04 pm

Stuff

So, where should I begin ?

First comes first.

Thanks Vizayas for reminding me of my late teens. It is impossible to calculate the amount of time wasted I've spent enjoying this game's powers of absorbance. This brought back fond memories of the following things
  • hacking& slashing
  • exploring/dungeoncrawling
  • manic clicking while searching on which fucking F key 'I'd stored my fireball
  • getting scared shitless by whatever popped out of the freaking darkness
  • walking in certain directions in order to avoid missiles, fireballs etc.
  • using the duplicating glitch
  • killing
  • looting
  • dying
  • a level 35 Warrior that kept dying
  • My friend's level 45 mage who could dish out around 10000 damage with a fireball and who did not walk at all, just teleported
  • the peg-legged boy frustration
  • I can see what you see not. Vision milky then eyes rot !
  • too many fucking things to mention.

I was also going to comment what the hell ? who listens to that same song for 10 hours straight but then I remembered leaving the game open while studying for exams. I aced the test, let me tell you !

*sigh* The distant youth...

--------------------------------------------

So, holidays. They were fun, mostly, despite the fact that both my babies and my lovely wife were feverish, coughing and their sinuses haven't stopped dripping yet. I'm exhausted, as always. I didn't really thing I'd get any rest, cause I know for a fact now that I am restless. They deserve all my energy. They deserve all my love. They deserve all my life. Hopefully I gave them as best a Christmas holiday as possible. I had my share of fun.

I would like to wish to anyone unfortunate to read this scrapbook a very happy new year. I can write 20 pages of unique wishes , but it serves no purpose. Be well all of you.

-------------------------------------------

And apologies.

I have managed to neglect my threadmates.
I am so sorry Clyde for the waiting, tomorrow at my dawn ( a few hours for now) you'll have a reply and we can get going.
I am so sorry Yoona you had to wait. Your character rocks as is your writing.
I am sorry Redd, for the delays. Our thread is coming to a close and I won't let you down.
Last but not least, I am terribly sorry person behind Verin Rush, for I have given very little attention to our thread and I shouldn't have (you owe me a reply btw, you busy person :P). You are one of the people I have grown to admire and adore in here and I feel that I haven't been straight with you. You've helped me and listened at my crazy ideas for so long and I have offered very little in return.

*sigh* already feeling lighter :D I'm sure I've forgotten something or someone.

so, let's close this with an awesome piece of music:

The Art will twist you and turn you.
It will break you and tear you asunder; from your scattered remains it will shape you.
It will engulf you and spit you out.
It will fester in your mind, disfigure your body and blacken your soul.
And so on and so forth, through an endless chain of transformations till the time comes and you are everything...
Then you'll truly be nothing...

Daegron
Fleshcraft made Art

Words: 200831
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2014, 4:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Inoadar on January 4th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Oh my god!
A fan of 70's British progressive rock?
A man after my own heart.

How about Dutch?

The original version of this song.
This album killed.

and...

All instrumental, except for some chanting at one point.
I don't know if anyone can stand to listen to one song for 23 minutes anymore, but this song is an epiphany.

Then we go back to England for this monster album.
The masters of guitar harmonies.

Another instrumental, another milestone...and only 9 minutes...lol

And we'll come back across the pond for some old Joe Walsh.

Certainly not British progressive rock.
Simple electrified slow blues.
He sounds like he got his guitar shitfaced drunk and made it play anyway.
The end is an echoplex and a violin bow.
Aaah, the good old days.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Daegron on January 5th, 2015, 6:25 am

FInally !

I knew that there had to be someone here to understand my odd musical tastes ! Not really surprised to find out it's you my friend :D

I've mostly ignored Golden Earring (other than their most known song) and it's a grave mistake that will be rectified immediately.

Now, Focus is a personal favourite of mine. So lyrical and deep at the same time.

Wishbone Ash are perfect for my long road trips.

And well.. blues is the cornerstone of it all. Respect.

Thank you so much for those !

Now, have some of mine :

how about... Brazilian ?

Canadian ?

ol' British ?

and back across the pond as you say ?

So what if some songs are longer than the average listener's attention span ? They are not for the average listener, but for the kind of people who want to hear a musical piece to it's end. There's no such thing as standard structure, only fragments of thoughts and feelings and soul that bleed into lifeless instruments, making them sing.

Four minute songs ? PFFF !

Why should anyone compress their hearts into such a short time ? Maybe because they have none to begin with ?

It will break you and tear you asunder; from your scattered remains it will shape you.
And so on and so forth, through an endless chain of transformations till the time comes and you are everything...

Daegron
Fleshcraft made Art

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Inoadar on January 5th, 2015, 8:21 am

RUSH!!
THAT'S who I was trying to think of!
The Immortal "Tom Sawyer" who only suffers from the malady of being overplayed.
I love "Limelight" and "Spirit of Radio" and oh god, oh god, "The Trees"! Rapture!
And who can fault a man that respects "The Dead"? Jerry Garcia, R.I.P. :'(

Now, of course, those are the ones I am familiar with. But both of those other offerings will definitely become more familiar. I had honestly assumed the Brazilian would be more off-the-wall than the British, but that Van Der Graff sounded almost like something Queen would do. I love it!

As for "Radar Love", that's from that same Golden Earring album, but I skip over it. It was possibly the only song that rivaled "Freebird" for being played to death. Funny how often the biggest hits are the least creative songs on an album. :rolleyes:

Very well, let us continue: Irish?

Swiss pagan?
Who says bagpipes aren't cool?

And another example of a hugely well known album where the horribly overplayed hits were never the best song anyway:

I've been doing a similar PM exchange with Vanari...lol
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Daegron on January 11th, 2015, 4:04 am

Stunned !

Woah !

So much musical information, you are frying my brain cells !

So, I've revisited Wishbone Ash. Truly awesome guitar work, interwoven melodies and beautiful songs. And I got myself Moontan as a belated Christmas present :P

Rush. I've found myself endlessly headbanging with the "Fly by night" album, and distinctively remember trying to play the YYZ guitar parts and miserably fail. At least I managed to learn and go crazy with the mighty "Rush Chord". The one that "Hemispheres" starts with ?. A unique band that manages to deliver a chest crushing amount of force and complex structure/orchestration using three people. THREE ! Others can't do it with 30...

The Dead ? A whole different story. It is all about improvisation and playing from the heart.

Now on Vand Der Graaf Generator and Queen similarities ? Hmm.. not entirely sure. I mean both have made lyrical, majestic, multi-layered and theatrical music but that's about it.
While Queen are masters of melodies and harmonies, Van Der Graaf use disharmony and dischord as their edge. Truly dark and twisted. Peter Hamill screams, growls, and cries his lungs out. Odd time signatures, lack of guitar work, tons of electricity and power, weird chord progressions and changes. You HAVE to listen to them closely, definitely not the kind of band that gets it's message across easily. They reward the listener's patience.

Cranberries ? Another band I ignored, another one to start listening to and find out more about.

Eluveitie ? haunting. They reminded me of Dead Can Dance. Very different but they somehow transmitted the same kind of vibe to me.

And ditto on "My God".

Yes, please, let's continue this, but let's take this one at a time please, because I want to give all of my attention to all these wonderful things.

Here's my offering. A very rude gesture and this :

Daegron
Fleshcraft made Art

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Previous