Completed The First Lesson (Sezkero)

What must the strong do about the weak?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The First Lesson (Sezkero)

Postby Hirem on January 14th, 2015, 6:13 am

63rd of Winter, 514 A.V.

Ledger :
8 Small Winter Cloaks - 2 GM

Down the familiar path to the docks Hirem went, a bundle of small winter cloaks tucked under his arm and a solemn smile etched onto his face.

It was a route well-known to him, ducking and weaving through the main streets of Riverfall, using the domed buildings on all sides as a shield against the cold winds. His feet were so well used to the journey that they traced it without thought, his body instinctively heading to his destination by force of habit. This freed his mind to focus on other concerns, and today he focused his attention upon a question of philosophy, as it often did during this chilly winter season. Hirem asked himself whether it was more virtuous to lend assistance to the misfortunate or to ask that they grow strong enough to assist themselves. Is it nobler of the strong to accept the weak into their midst, or to demand that they first make themselves strong? Both sides had merit, each answer reflected in the spirit of the people that Hirem had grown accustomed to. On the one side, there was the kind Benshira, who had no tolerance for greed and disdained what might be considered necessary in favour of what was right. And on the other, there was the Akalak, who towered above their neighbours and provided peace for all citizens within their domain, but cared little if the citizen did not contribute to their community in return. He would always remain partial towards the Benshira way of life, but he had also grown to hugely respect the Akalak way of life. So what was the answer to the question? He had pondered it for many days, and figured that he had at last stumbled upon a solution.

But that solution had, as of yet, remained untested. So Hirem grew resolved to see if he could make a difference in Riverfall.

It was midday by the time he finally arrived at the docks of the city, food grumbling in his belly and the chilly air making his cheeks feel numb. Venturing off the beaten roads and heading deeper into the alleyways of the lower tier, Hirem walked without fear of getting lost, for he had grown used to the layout of this part of the city. He had explored it thoroughly in his search for the ghosts of Riverfall - those poor folk that had no job, no money, and no way of defending themselves from the arm of the Kuvay’Nas. They could only hide and hope they were not evicted from the city, for being sent into the Sea of Grass during winter time was a death sentence. They were a little number, small and largely insignificant to Rivarian society, but Hirem was starting to grow accustomed to them. Many of the ghosts no longer fled when he approached, for word had spread that the tall Benshira was no threat, and in fact often brought bowls of food or cloaks for surviving the winter weather. An opportunistic few had tried to use this knowledge to their advantage and rob him in the dead of night, and only luck had saved Hirem from being entirely penniless. Still, he was determined to ingratiate himself with the ghosts, seeing in them both a chance for his redemption and a cause he could fully devote himself to. This was an undertaking he saw no one else attempting, for there was little need. The poor existed in every city, and what friends Hirem had made among the city’s more powerful citizens, they were all concerned with higher, more troublesome concerns. This left a role that the Benshira delighted to fulfill. Of course, he could not do so himself… but that was a concern for another time.

Finally arriving at the designated meeting spot, Hirem turned round the corner of a wide house and saw a small group of children waiting nervously around the back wall, all clustered around a long bench. There was only a half-dozen in total, less than Hirem had originally hoped to see, but he was grateful that at least the message had been received. Falim,” he greeted them, pushing through the group to sit down upon the snow-covered bench. The children let him pass without complaint, all staring at him with dark eyes, hungrily gazing upon the winter cloaks. Once he was able to recline on the bench, the Benshira breathed a low breath and looked back at the children, eventually gesturing to one among their number. ”Tarik,” he called out to the boy, beckoning him forward. The child was well-known to him, and Tarik greeted him with an enthusiastic smile. ”What have you done since I saw you last?”

Tarik was so excited to speak that he started to babble just as Hirem finished talking, jumping up and down. ”I saw this Drykas on the street, bringing home a basket of goods from the market. He slipped, the basket split, and everything went everywhere. I helped him retrieve everything, and even turned down the gold miza he offered for my help!”

The boy’s look of pride was infectious, and Hirem smiled in response. ”Very good,” he murmured, passing Tarik a cloak. ”Wayland?” Just as eager, the Svefra boy stepped up, bright eyes shining. ”What have you done since I saw you last?”

Wayland nodded vigorously, his chin going up and down, up and down. ”There was this old woman at the marketplace today, with a wrinkled, ugly face. I thought it might cheer her up to have something nice to wear, so I went ahead and gave her a big fur cloak with a wave trimming! She smiled real bright at me and said I was the most handsome young lad she ever saw!” The boy grinned.

Hirem did not grin back. ”And where did you get the cloak?”

The Svefra child didn’t blink. ”Well, you see, this seamstress gave it to me as a present for me helping her fix up her cart. She said I was the most handsome young -”

”You liar!” One of the other children barked. ”I saw you run off with that from one of the clothing stalls in the Zhongjie! You stole that cloak!”

Wayland seized upon the child and shook his head, thin hands balling into fists. ”Shut up! The old lady got her cloak, what does it matter?”

The Benshira sighed. ”What matters, Wayland, is that you stole to help another, and while you were kind to the old woman, the fact remains that you ended up hurting someone. What is the point of being kind, if we are not kind to all?” The Svefra looked defeated, and hung his head in anger. Hirem took a deep breath and shrugged his shoulders. ”You will learn from this,” he firmly said, offering Wayland a cloak despite his failure to understand the lesson.

The lesson, thankfully, had been understood by the other five children gathered around, and Hirem reflected on the possible success he might have enjoyed as he listened to the youth speak more of their good deeds. For he had found a satisfactory answer to the question, Is it nobler of the strong to accept the weak into their midst, or to demand that they first make themselves strong?

The answer, of course, was that it was most noble of the strong to do both.
Last edited by Hirem on March 3rd, 2015, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Words: 615712
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ssezzkero on January 18th, 2015, 4:53 am

The warmth from the bakery left her as soon as she stepped out of the door. All that remained to reminded her of the ten bells in the bakery was the weight of the basket on her forearm tucked under her cloak to keep her torso warm in the snowy streets. Six buns and a small square of rice cake, thickly wrapped in a towel to keep the heat, rested in her basket. She was indulging today, taking a day from the temple, buying herself a cake and hopefully she could try to see if Caelum was around again. However well their first meeting had went, the snake still found herself far too hesitant around the horned man to pass by Alements without a reason. And yet she found herself heading down the second tier instead of up. Her thoughts drifted into what she was doing that day? What did she want to do?

She could simply go back to Makutsi's Tower. Spend her day as she did every other day. But Kal had told her that she needed time off. She knew he was right, she'd made no friends in this new strange town, and that was simply because she only walked between the Tower and home. A short mile of smiling at a stranger or two but mostly keeping her head down. But no, she did need to do something for herself. As her mind drew a blank on what that thing would be, her thoughts drifted towards the warm rice cake in her basket. She had watched the baker drizzle it with melted chocolate before wrapping it and handing it to her, and the mere thought of that delectable sweet distracted her easily enough. It didn't take long for her saliva to fill her mouth and her mind was made up. She was going to go home, read a book and eat her cake.

But as the snake turned to head back up the tier and towards her tiny apartment, she realized that she didn't recognize the street she was on. Although the small Iyvess rarely got lost anymore, she still didn't know all of Riverfall by heart and so it was still a scare whenever she did get lost. Immediately, fear rushed her heart, but Ker remembered how little danger she would actually be in. In a city that valued women as much as this one, there was little doubt she could be hurt. But the haunting thoughts still sewed themselves into the back of her mind, prepared to sit in wait for when she would perceive someone as dangerous. But her own distress was taken away by the almost invisible figure of a small girl. Wide brown eyes flew back to the place where she thought she had seen the girl, but there was no trace of her.

Without thinking about it, Sezkero found herself jogging to the other side of the road, searching the ground for foot prints in the dust of snow. It was hard to see the tiny prints of bare feet, but the snow didn't withhold them. Slowing down, Sezkero peered down the alleyway, closest to the prints, seeing nothing between the buildings. Only a row of dead plants lined one side of the alley. Someone's summer garden, which had wilted and frozen over with the harsh winter, and for some reason was not put properly away. Still worried about where the little girl had went, Sezkero took a step down the ally. The morning sun shone down the street, giving her light to see, and yet she found no trace of her.

About to allow herself to believe it was an illusion, Sezkero turned around. Her eyes floated to the graveyard of plants one last time, thinking how this part of town was not like the one she lived in, when she noticed something. The thin layer of ice that coated the brittle soil was crushed. The little snake turned to look at the row of plants, finding that each pot had one or two tiny indents in they hard dirt.

Did she...? Sezkero didn't finish her thought, spinning on her heels and continuing down the alley. When she reached the end of the line of pots, she found the footsteps, however tiny, had started again. A grin cracked her dry lips and Sezkero couldn't help but think how smart this girl was. She didn't want Ker following her, so she ended her tracks, or at least made them look like they ended. But the smile dimmed as the Iyvess realized why such a tiny child would know to do this. Why such a tiny child would have to do this. The thought only gave Ker the idea to find the little girl.

But it was already apparent that this little girl did not want to be found, and so Kero continued on silently. With her eyes glued to the ground, straining against the bright reflection of sunlight off the thin sheet of snow, Sezkero found that the girls footprints were now paired with another set of foot prints, a larger set. They must have started running when they met each other, as their strides got longer. Sezkero found herself jogging as well. The thought of loosing this girl was making Sezkero nervous. But as the two footprints overlapped, Sezkero got confused, were they running in a line? The snake stopped, looking around. She was no longer in an alley, but on a road. It was wide enough for a cart or carriage to go down and so it was a main road, plenty wide enough for two children to run down.

Maybe they were playing chase. Sezkero tried to find an explanation for their tracks to overlap, slowing as she turned down another alley way. The two tracks slowed now, and Sezkero completely lost them in a flurry of other footprints. Curiosity raised the snake's eyebrows and she tried to calm her breathing, feeling the sting of cold air on her nose and ears. Watching the thick cloud of white escape her lips, she removed one hand from her cloak to pull her scarf above her nose, but left her ears out to listen for the girl. The cloud diminished but didn't disappear as slivers of her panting escaped the knitted wool.

And she was glad she left her ears bare, because suddenly she could hear voices. The shrill excitement of a child that was briefly interrupted by a pause. Sezkero crept forward, down the ally, finding the end opened to a gap at the back of a house. It was almost like a crossroad of alleyways and there was children, all over... and a man. Immediately, Sezkero shrunk back. Although why, she did not know. Instincts told her that if that girl didn't want to be found, these children likely didn't either. And so the snake listened. She could barely make out words now, and had no hope that the deep and accented voice of the man would echo around the corner for her to hear.

As one of the children yelled at the other, Sezkero crept forward again, just barely peaking her head out of the alley to watch the scene. No one paid attention to the snake, and she held herself as still as she could, hoping that no one would. It wouldn't have mattered, the children were hooked on the man's words.

"... is the point of being kind, if we are not kind to all?" Sezkero managed to listen to the man's words. She watched the little blonde boy who stood before him. His shoulders slumped and it was clear that the man had made this boy feel bad about something, although what she didn't know. The Iyvess frowned at this. "You will learn from this," The firm words only deepened her frown. Was this man just criticizing these kids now? Why would he do such a thing? But his words were followed by an action that raised her eyebrows in response. He handed the boy a cloak. The blonde kids took it in an instant, wrapping his shoulders in the warm clothe eagerly.

The grin that spread across the boy's face almost made Sezkero laugh. It was a simple cloak given with a harsh word and yet it looked as if this boy had found a million Miza. Although to him, he did. Sezkero noticed how none of the kids were dressed properly. Matted and greasy hair, clothes that didn't quite fit or may not even be whole wrapped their shoulders, and although most had scraped up a pair of shoes for the winter, some had simply wrapped their freezing toes in layers of clothe, worn from running across the roads of Riverfall.

A heavy sigh crawled out of her lips and Sezkero's mood fell yet again. Oh how easily the children dictated the snake's mood.

But Sezkero realized the small sound she had made a moment too late. The girl she had been following. The only girl, and the one towards the back of the small gathering of children turned around. Brown eyes caught hers and widened, a small squeak melting from her chocolate lips. The boy closest to her turned as well, grabbing the girls hand. Sezkero barely saw the action since she had flown back in an instant. Her body shrunk into the wall that she stood behind and before she knew it the girl was running.

No, no, no, no. Sezkero reached forward to try and stop the girl and the boy from disappearing. She didn't want to scare the children, and yet she had done so by her presence alone.
"No wait!" But the girl and the boy turned in the other direction, their path blocked by Sezkero. But because of that, they went back towards the man. "Ssstop! I didn't mean to ssscare you, pleassse." Like a school of minnows, when met with a larger fish the children automatically shrunk back from her.

Sezkero retracted her hand, realizing there was nothing she could do to stop them from treating her like a threat. This was likely how they had survived for so long, but not being seen. She couldn't imagine what they must be thinking.
"I jussst-- I wasss curiousss. I didn't mean to... " She was now talking to the man, looking up into his dark eyes, pleading with him. The children seemed to trust him, so maybe he would not paint her as a threat as they so easily did.

Receipt :
small common beech wood basket (5 cm) + 12 bread rolls (5 cm) + rice cake (1 gm) = 1 gm, 1 sm total

Common | Snake-Tongue | Tukant | Thoughts | PC/NPC Talking
Last edited by Ssezzkero on February 10th, 2015, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Hirem on January 19th, 2015, 7:25 pm

"I went and stood watch for a shopkeep when they needed a break! And I didn't pocket a single thing in the store!"

"I found this foreign man wandering around the city, looking all confused, and showed him around!"

"I found a blind woman with her hands on the ground, trying to find the contents of her spilt purse. I spent a whole bell helping her find all of her mizas!"

Taken piece by piece, these good deeds that Hirem had asked the children to do did not amount to much. Even together, the value of their work was not readily apparent, for what did one attempt to provide a convenience matter in the grand scheme of things? The Benshira was under no delusion that he would be able to accomplish much with these children just by asking them for help, and he was very aware that some of these stories - perhaps all of them - were false, fabricated by boys and girls that fought daily to survive. He did not let these darker thoughts show on his face, instead offering the children a quiet, happy smile as he listened to their stories and passed each of them a cloak. He had no real way of knowing whether their good deeds were genuine or false, and could only choose to believe that they were telling the truth. These are no criminals, he thought, staring into their eyes one by one. They are just scared boys and girls, sorely missing guidance and hungry for a better life. It was easy to trust their bright eyes and innocent looks, and he felt that they trusted him... at least, that was what he thought. I am not trying to perform wonders here. All I can hope to do is set the foundation for future growth.

For if these children, these ghosts of Riverfall, were to survive in the city, they needed to learn that stealing, lying, and fleeing from responsibility would not allow them to stay within its walls. The Akalak demanded that one give back to the community as much as they take in, and it was Hirem's hope that by performing these little lessons - perform a good deed for your neighbours, receive a reward - he would better prepare the children for integrating into Riverfall. It was far preferable that they become integrated, rather than growing up to fear and hate the Kuvay'Nas and eventually be expelled from this oasis of peace into the wide, fearsome world outside. For Riverfall is a paradise compared to the dangers lurking in the rest of Mizahar. I have found safety here; I find it only just that others be given the same chance.

It was tough to determine whether or not he was doing something illegal in this small act, for Akalak law would see these children expelled or find work than be encouraged to stay in their current state. And none of these children would be able or willing to find work. Some are too young, others too weak, and the rest too defiant. While he did not feel that he would get in much trouble with the Kuvay'Nas for this minor transgression, still Hirem felt wary when walking the streets of Riverfall, checking over his shoulder for watchful eyes, always feeling a prickling on the back of his neck...

Meya's cry at the back of the congregation gave Hirem a vicious start. Throwing himself off the bench, the Benshira stood to his full height, towering over the nearby children and searching for the source of the disturbance. At first it was impossible to tell, for Meya and her brother Codin were already racing for the alley's exit. The other boys gathered around were all agitated, ready to flee at the first sight of trouble. Instincts honed from a lifetime of fear, Hirem thought, using his hands to gently part the children. By the time he stood between the alley and the gathered boys, Meya and Codin had already run back to join him, scared by... perhaps the smallest young woman he had ever seen. His brow furrowing, the Benshira held out a hand and willed the children to stay at his flank, trying to prevent them from running just yet. It was a miracle that he managed to do so, but perhaps they were just as confused by the woman as he was.

His eyes took in the woman's appearance, and his first thought was, young. Her skin was smooth, her hair was distinctly boyish, and there seemed to be a light in her brown eyes that only the vibrancy of fresh adulthood could provide. He might have thought her a child, she was so short and thin compared to him. But he also managed to spot the telltale musculature of a dancer in her form, thanks to his experience with the Benshira Masha. And an experienced dancer is anything but weak. And there was something... else that was strange about the girl, but he could not place his finger on what it may be. The look of her eyes, the intent of her gaze, brought Hirem a slight, unknowable chill. At first glance I think she is no threat to me, but how often have I been proven wrong to think so? Vigilance is a more advisable policy than carelessness. No matter what else he thought of her, though, he had to acknowledge the passion in her face as she pleaded with him, "I jussst-- I wasss curiousss. I didn't mean to... " Does she think me the master of these children? That I may tell them what to think? Frowning, Hirem glanced back at the huddled boys, and at Meya, and wondered what to say.

Finally, he gave a low sigh and looked at the children. "Easy, my friends. You need not fear this one. Not all those that follow want to bring you harm." They looked at him uneasily, and Codin still looked as though he might sprout wings and fly from here, sister in tow, at the slightest provocation. "You must forgive them," he told the woman, stepping towards her until his voice could drop to a low murmur. "They don't trust easily and suspect danger in every shadow. It is how they have managed to survive for so long in this city." He watched her eyes carefully, wondering what she made of the children's situation. Is it shock I will find? Pity? Or perhaps a soul kindred to mine, eager to help? Offering his hand out to her, the Benshira bowed his head respectfully. "My name is Hirem. I come from Eyktol in the south, but Riverfall is my home now. It is good to meet you." Glancing back to the gathered urchins, he pointed over at the lone girl among them. "The one that first spotted you is Meya, and the boy beside her is her brother, Codin. The child with blue eyes in the back - that is Wayland, a Svefra. To his right is Arin and Jacke, completely inseparable and fiendishly difficult." The two beamed at the compliment. "And the last is Tarik, my dearest of friends." Alone among the children, Tarik offered a cheery smile and a wave at the newcomer.

"So, you are curious of what is happening here?" Hirem asked, smiling a gentle smile. "Let me show you." He head back towards his bench, beckoning for the woman to follow. The children collectively backed away from her and gave her space as she approached, leaving plenty of room between the two adults and themselves. Grabbing his last two cloaks - the rest having been claimed by the urchins - Hirem glanced over to the woman. "I made these little ones a deal," he explained. "If they performed a good deed in the city, helping their neighbours wherever possible, I would give them a cloak that would last until winter's end. These cloaks are quite small," he said, unfurling the child-sized cloak, "but it should help warm you regardless. Tell me," Hirem leaned forward on his knees, his gaze expectant. "What good deeds have you performed?"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on January 19th, 2015, 11:18 pm

Surprising Sezkero, the small ordeal of her apperance in the little group went well. The little girl still seemed frightened of her. As the snake looked into the little girl's eyes, there was no doubt that she knew Sezkero had followed her. It took the man before her a minute to take her in, and Sezkero couldn't help but notice how easily the children looked to him for protection. If these children truly were orphans or transients, as the snake had imagines, how long had it taken this man to earn their trust? Seasons? Years? Jer's wide brown eyes floated back up the man's as his stare burned into her. She was used to looking up to talk to people by now, and even the man who stood before her was considered short by Akalak terms, and yet she still marveled at his height for a second too long. She yanked her eyes from the black of his and traced the outline of his shoulders, bundled in his own cloak. Either this man was fat, or he was muscular. By the way he held himself, back straight and feet sturdy on the ground, she was betting on the latter. Before Sekzero could look too closely at the human who stood before her, he was speaking.

"Easy, my friends. You need not fear this one. Not all those that follow want to bring you harm." His words were directed towards the children around him, who did not relax with them, but neither did they run. "You must forgive them,they don't trust easily and suspect danger in every shadow. It is how they have managed to survive for so long in this city." His voice lowered and Sezkero found he was talking to her now. Sezkero tried to compose herself. She had no reason to be as shocked as she was. Her unconscious mirroring or the children's emotions hardly gave her time to react. His words confirmed her suspicion that these children were orphaned and homeless, and Sezkero could hardly help a flash of pity cross her face. But the snake knew very well how that life was. How to be a ghost in the shadows of a society that knew nothing of you. To fear any interaction could lead to your doom. So it was easy for the snake to emphasize with the children, yes she was much older than even the oldest of the group when she entered society, but that didn't mean she didn't know what they were going through. And so the hint of sadness only lasted so long. Ker relaxed her muscles into a friendly smile. Anything to appear as nonthreatening as possible. Trust me, I understand. She wanted to reply to the man, and the children. Instead Ker nodded.

"They've done quite a job at it." The tiny Iyvess murmured before the man in front of her began speaking again. He introduced himself, and when he mentioned where he was from, a ping of familiarity ran through her. The deserts of Eyktol had attracted her since she had first learned of them two seasons ago, just her luck to meet another native of the hot region. As Hirem introduced each of the children, Sezkero tried to remember their names. Meya and Codin stuck in her mind easily enough but the snake doubted she would remember all their names come sunset. She waved back to the last child, still unable to relax her shoulders.

"So, you are curious of what is happening here?" The snake nodded, remaining quite as it looked like Hirem was content with introducing her. What man could be this kind? She thought as she followed him closer towards the children. Like a river and a rock, the children parted for her. She thought it funny how they stayed close to be near Hirem, but far to escape her area of reach. How easily these children displayed their trust in the simple placement of where they stood.

When Hirem explained what he had been doing with the children, a small "Ah," crawled out of her mouth. It made sense now, he was trying to teach him a lesson. He was their only guidance between right and wrong. Without him, the children would have adopted a lifestyle of each man for himself. Which Sezkero hadn't realize was exactly what she had done when she was younger.

The thought of how illegal the lives of these children were also dawned on her. Unlike in other cities, Riverfall was very strict about who they allowed in their community and who they didn't. The law was simple, if you contributed, you got to stay, if you did not, good luck. To leave human children out in the wilds of Cyphrus... it was a death sentence.

"No, thankyou." Sezkero snapped back into reality as Hirem offered her a coat. Her own was small, but the fur-lined wool was more than enough for her small body. It helped that she had the lingering warmth of her rolls held close to her torso. Under her shapeless cloak it left a small irregular bump, but hardly something to be noticeable.

"What good deeds have you performed?" Hirem's question threw Ker off. She would have been completely content with listening to his smooth voice explain the situation of the urchins, but she was no longer the observer in the scene. What have I done? The thought echoed in her brain. The answer was simple. Nothing. To the temple and back home made up most of her days. Sometimes she went to the market or a store to get a necessity, but other than that she did very little and nothing in the way of helping others, or "good deeds". Was she a bad person for that? For caring for herself and no one else? Standing next to Hirem made her feel as if she was.

"Uhh... Well," Sezkero's eyebrows flew up and she looked at the ground, avoiding the gaze of the children and the Benshiren. She briefly wondered if this man thought she was also a child, which brought her eyebrows crashing down. But as she realized this wasn't true, she tried to make the expression look like nothing more than scrapping for a memory. "I mussst admit, I've done nothing outssstanding for othersss. She wasn't going to lie to the man, it would be the exact opposite of a good deed. "I don't sssuppossse opening the door for sssomeone today countsss? A sheepish grin stretched her lips. There was no use in returning the question to him. The answer would be obvious, and for some reason Sezkero doubted there wouldn't be a million more good deeds, from this day alone.

Ker took less than a second to place herself in the shoes of the man before her. He was teaching these children a lesson about being nice. A lesson that children don't learn on the streets, in fact it is the exact opposite of what they need to do to survive. By asking someone who clearly has a comfortable life what good deeds they did, what was he getting at? Was he trying to set an example? If that was so, she did not give him very good material to do so. He may be asking these children to go above and beyond.

Or maybe he wouldn't.

Sezkero tried to think forty years back and then place herself in the shoes of the transients before her. Even as a teenager, scraping along in the dead of winter, she would have done so much for a warm cloak. And all this man was asking was a story of a good deed. It was hardly an effort to embellish a story. Tell the provider you did more than he asked, since he requires no proof, and you may get more than he offers.

Sezkero looked back up at the man, perking one eyebrow. Did he know that orphans did this? He must, and yet he gives them rewards anyway. "But aren't all good deedsss big in their own way?" She hoped he understood that she was trying to help. She didn't think he wasn't capable of teaching that lesson, she hoped he didn't think so, but the snake hoped that he would see that she saw what he was doing. She was hoping he saw that she wanted to help. But that was too much to expect anyone to grasp from a simple question, and so she turned to the children. "The sssmallesss sssmile... Offering to help with directionsss. They are all a way of giving without having to sssacrificcce." Sezkero turned back to Hirem. "Wouldn't you think ssso?

Last edited by Ssezzkero on February 10th, 2015, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssezzkero
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Hirem on January 21st, 2015, 4:26 am

Hirem's purpose in directing his question to the newcomer was twofold; first, he wanted to illustrate to the children that the lesson he was teaching them was not something limited to just their situation. Everyone in Riverfall was responsible for contributing to the paradise that this city symbolized, from the smallest child to the tallest Benshira, to the young woman that had just randomly happened upon their gathering. More than that, he wanted to demonstrate that adults didn't have to be necessarily mistrusted. It had taken him a great deal of work - and many missed meals - to gain their trust, enough that they would come and seek him out rather than he struggle to find them. By their very nature, these children feared all that were bigger than them, for they saw in every shadow the Kuvay'Nas and their stern words of warning. 'This city is no home for you,' they would say, and by nightfall the child would have to vacate the streets or be severely punished. But isolating themselves from the entirety of Riverfall only made them greater enemies of the state. They had to learn to trust adults, to depend on them in times of need. And if they- especially Meya – saw that this mystery woman was no fearsome stranger, that she was relatable and honest, then perhaps Hirem could steer them in the right direction.

It was not a lesson he had been intending to teach, but since Yahal has presented him with the opportunity, he saw no choice but to take it. Mysterious ways, truly, but the god is infinite in his wisdom. Who am I judge whether or not his omens spell doom or salvation? I know that he means the best for me and these wayward children.

”Uh… Well,” the woman began, oddly abashed by what Hirem thought a simple question. She was purposefully avoiding his gaze and instead stared at the ground, leading the Benshira to wonder why that was. Is she shy? I doubt it, otherwise she would not have intruded on us upon being spotted. Do I intimidate her? Perhaps, but she would not have followed me deeper into the ally if she did not think me harmless. Or is she honestly unable to remember a single good deed of note? There were many reasons she might have trouble speaking now, and he wondered if he had not erred, pulling her into a matter that did not concern her.

Glancing over at the children and their closely guarded expressions, he wondered what they made of their mystery guest. They are curious, I can see that much in their eyes… but I can also tell that they remain ever wary. The threat of constant danger, and of betrayal, has erased their capacity for hope. They would rather be safe than entrust themselves to the kindness of strangers. Hirem wished that he could say that this phenomenon was unknown to him, but that was not the case. Ahnatep had been filled with children that bore similar looks of caution and dread, in fact had been completely stuffed with them, from one wall to the other. Misery was not uncommon in this wide world, and while he could not hope to change this fact, he could at least try to alleviate suffering where he found it.

Finally, the girl managed to say, ”I must admit, I’ve done nothing outssstanding for othersss. I don’t sssuppossse opening the door for sssomeone countsss?” She looked embarrassed by her answer, and Hirem frowned. A meager answer, he thought, but I could not have expected much else. There is no sense in demanding that others make grand, dramatic sacrifices for their fellows, that they lay down their lives for the betterment of others. Ah, but that is the key: sacrifice. Can a good deed truly be considered ‘good’ without some element of sacrifice?

While he considered the answer to his question, Hirem also took some time to ponder the curious accent this woman possessed. It certainly is nothing I’ve ever heard before. It doesn’t sound northern, and I can’t imagine that sort of tongue originating from Eyktol… where is she from? But the Benshira couldn’t exactly protest the strangeness of her accent, for his own must have sounded quite strange to her. Speaking Shiber for all of his life had made his Common difficult to understand – he picked up on the words and expressions easily, but could not pronounce them effectively – and while he was improving all the time, there was little point in trying to compare his tongue to hers.

While he sat on the bench, quietly thinking, the woman continued to speak. ”But aren’t all good deedsss big in their own way?” At first she directed this response at him, but then turned to the children and addressed them all, as knowingly as he had been a few moments ago. ”The sssmallest sssmile… Offering to help with directionsss. They are all a way of giving without having to sssacrificcce.” The look in the gaze she directed towards him was almost conspiratorial in nature, a slight wink from her to Hirem. I want to help, she said, and he understood very quickly. I see that Yahal did not just send me an observer, but someone that wishes to contribute.

Smiling, Hirem returned his bright eyes to the children and watched as they absorbed the woman’s lessons in their own way. Meya remained timid but stepped closer regardless, Codin following reluctantly behind. Wayland smiled to himself, but did not bother to speak. Tarik, conversely, had stopped smiling, pursing his lips and nodding thoughtfully. Arin and Jacke gave each other devious glances but looked considerate when they returned their attentions to the woman. They see in her the same quality they saw in me., he remarked, and in doing so volunteer their trust. Amazing.

When the woman asked him for his opinion, Hirem nodded solemnly. ”Correct,” he murmured, drawing attention back to himself. The crisp winter air was tickling his freshly shaven cheeks, but he did not give the weather much mind. ”The act of giving does not have to be done at your expense. You don’t need to take something from yourself to be good.” He looked at each of the children in turn, his gaze reserved, his smile peaceful. I am tormented the year round, he thought then, but when I am surrounded by these lowly souls and forgotten children, I feel resolute. I feel whole. This is surely magic, for I alone cannot have accomplished this transformation.

Ignoring this piece of insight, Hirem continued to speak, taking note not to let his voice disturb any neighbors or the city guard. ”This city is a very strong place, built to withstand the dangers of the world around. The Sea of Grass is wild and the rest of Mizahar worse, but Riverfall is safe. But you will not be allowed to stay within if you do not obey the Akalak’s chief law:” and this he emphasized with a pause and raised finger, ”Everyone must better the whole. Do you understand? Every little good you have performed has given back to this town. Directions, a smile, a miza given in charity… this makes you strong in the eyes of the Akalak. When you are older, and if you still wish to remain in this city, you can earn your peace by finding a job. Good work is what the Akalak value most, and if you give them that, they will give you this paradise.” He bowed his head quietly, and took a deep breath. ”Now, I want -”

Hirem stopped. ”Where is Wayland?”

Tarik glanced at the empty spot his friend once occupied, and shrugged. ”He left during your speech. Told me he got his cloak, so he was gone.” Across from him, Meya giggled.

Doesn’t want to risk staying in one place for the Kuvay’Nas to stumble across, the Benshira thought, sighing. It was to be expected. ”You should all get going,” he gestured to the alleyway, ”and find yourself someplace safe to stay for the night.” No sooner had he began this sentence than the children immediately picked themselves up and hurried from the scene, darting like rats into the shadows where they most comfortable. Within just a few moments, Hirem and the woman were left alone on the quiet street. Tarik lingered behind only to offer Hirem a quiet smile before disappearing himself, and the Benshira continued to watch the boy’s back as he departed.

”He’s in the most danger,” he explained quietly to the woman, eyes still fixated on Tarik. ”The girls may be allowed to stay in the city, even unemployed. if they are close to maturity. The Akalak take an interest in them as potential Nakivak. But the boys are just unwanted pests and future competition, and so they are ushered from Riverfall while they still are harmless.” Putting a hand to his forehead, Hirem took a deep breath and shook his head. ”In my homeland, this would never have been allowed. These children would have found a family willing to take them in, or a Tent that would offer them a place at the fire. They would not have to scrounge on the streets for food or fear the city guards. It…”

It frustrated him to no end. But he did not pronounce this irritation, only regained his composure and stood off the bench. ”So? What brought you to our little gathering? And what is your name? I never gave you a chance to introduce yourself.”

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on January 22nd, 2015, 2:40 am

Sezkero watched Hirem's reaction carefully, but could not tell exactly how he took it. Did she go on the wrong track? Did she help as she intended to? But her vision was distracted by the barest hint of movement out of the corner of her eye. Slowly, she laid the chocolate orbs on the children, counting them. How many had there been? Was one missing? The few minutes of being near the children wasn't enough for her to recognize their faces appropriately, but when her eyes caught Meya's, the Iyvess could feel her own shoulder's relaxing.

Or maybe it was Hirem's voice. The deep tones were so placid, radiating calmness, and Sezker could see why the children hung on his every word. Resuming a quiet stance, Sezkero turned back to Hirem. The snake did what she did best, simply watched. Wide eyes tracking his or flitting to the children's every once in a while. "... this makes you strong in the eyes of the Akalak. When you are older, and if you still wish to remain in this city, you can earn your peace by finding a job. Good work is what the Akalak value most, and if you give them that, they will give you this paradise." He bowed his head quietly, and took a deep breath. "Now, I want-- Where is Wayland?"

Sezkero's eyes flew back to the small gathering of children. There was one missing! Wayland, Wayland, Wayland... Sezkero tried to remember the boys face. Now that Hirm had confirmed it, she was aware of the missing child, although she could not remember what he had looked like. Blond maybe?

"He left during your speech. Told me he got his cloak, so he was gone."

"You should all get going and find yourself someplace safe to stay for the night." Sezkero's mouth dropped as she watched the children disapear. Some didn't care about silence, but others were quieter than a cat. All that remained of their presence was the scuffle of foot marks in the snow, soon to be blown away by the wind.

"You're... You're jussst going to let them go? That can't be sssafe!" Sezkero couldn't conceal her own shock. She couldn't imagine leaving these young kids out on the street. Some maternal instict told her to chase after them, to take them home, make a hot stew and give them a bed to sleep in. But even as she thought about it, Sezkero knew that was completely unreasonable. Not only could she not fit or afford to help the kids like a mother, they didn't trust her. They were used to the streets and not strangers, and so many more reasons it wouldn't make sense. But she still wanted to help them somehow.

"He’s in the most danger. The girls may be allowed to stay in the city, even unemployed. if they are close to maturity. The Akalak take an interest in them as potential Nakivak. But the boys are just unwanted pests and future competition, and so they are ushered from Riverfall while they still are harmless." Hirem spoke low to her, and she followed his gaze to watch one last boy run off. Kero knew Hirem had to agree with her, but he must also see the impossibility of trying to do more. But she shook her head. Riverfall was a haven, but there were some things that went on that the snake simply couldn't agree with. "In my homeland, this would never have been allowed. These children would have found a family willing to take them in, or a Tent that would offer them a place at the fire. They would not have to scrounge on the streets for food or fear the city guards. It…"

"'Ssss a Sshhammee." She sighed the completion of his sentence, looking up at the stranger. Suddenly, without the eyes of children on her, a rush of questions threatened to squeeze out. But Hirem beat her to it."Oh, my name. I am Kero, Sssezzzkero, actually. Feel free to sssimply call me Kero." The snake gave a shy smile at noticing that she did not offer her name earlier. Hiking a thumb in the direction the Meya and Codin had fled, Sezkero expalined her presence. "I sssaw her... Meya. Sshhe ran away from me, and I don't know. I jussst... wanted to make ssure sshhe wasss okay. You don't ssseee little girlsss alone in Riverfall, that'sss all."

"Hirem, I need to asssk you. Why do you do it? How did you find them... I ssswear you are the only person who isss willing to do anything for thossse children." The small Iyvess' eyebrows crinkled with her questions for the man.

Last edited by Ssezzkero on February 10th, 2015, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssezzkero
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Hirem on January 23rd, 2015, 6:23 pm

"You're... You're jussst going to let them go? That can't be sssafe!" The woman protested, and Hirem could only offer a sad smile in response. It was definitely not the course of action he would like to take, but when dealing with these mistrustful, fleeting children, there were not a lot of options readily available. He would love nothing more than to spread his arms wide and scoop all the children up, taking them to a place like the Sanctuary where they might be safe, but he would not dare place that imposition on Kavala, or anyone else. Offering them shelter in his meagre tavern room seemed likewise impossible; he had only barely fed himself and paid for board last season, how would he manage with a host of hungry mouths to feed? Hirem had been forced to accept early on that there was nothing he could do for the children that would immediately take them off the streets - worse, the children would refuse any offer of help that would see their independence removed. They saw the streets of Riverfall as their home, and had adapted to surviving in the city narrows. It hurt him terribly to watch the urchins flee back into the shadows, but there was nothing else that he could do for them. If I had but two hundred more gold mizas to my name, I might purchase a cottage in the city and allow them to live there... but the space would be far too crowded, the meals far too sparse. They would riot within a fortnight. Something must be done about these children... but what?

The answer, as with most truths that Hirem sought, was unclear.

Sighing, the Benshira turned his attention back upon the woman as she began to speak. She identified herself as Sezkero - Sssezzzkero, as her accent pronounced it - and he could not help but attempt to place her origins. That's no northern accent that I've ever heard, but my knowledge of the north is fairly limited... I've never heard it before in the Rat Hole, so it might not be native to the Suvan coasts... if anything, it sounds like an accent I heard before in Eyktol, but that seems far-fetched. The more he focused upon the sounds her rasping voice made, the more he figured that he might have heard something similar in the past, but nothing definite came to mind. Deciding that the issue wasn't important, Hirem then focused on her reply to his question. "I sssaw her... Meya. Sshhe ran away from me, and I don't know. I jussst... wanted to make ssure sshhe wasss okay. You don't ssseee little girlsss alone in Riverfall, that'sss all." "Very kind of you," Hirem murmured, approving of the woman's actions. "There are many that would have thought nothing of the encounter, or else think that it wasn't their business. But you went above and beyond to see to the girl's well-being." I wonder, did Yahal intend this meeting for more than just a complication of my lesson? She is remarkably kind and seems well-intentioned. Perhaps the Lord of Faith has deigned to show me an ally for the cause?

It was Kero's turn to ask him questions now, and she was quick to do so. "Why do you do it? How did you find them... I ssswear you are the only person who isss willing to do anything for thossse children." At this, Hirem purposefully shook his head. "Ah, that isn't true. There are many like me, I imagine, for the plight of children is a plight all share in... The only problem is," and here he gestured to the empty alley, "that we cannot afford to be visible. The Kuvay'Nas would frown heavily upon this charity if they knew we performed it, and while they would not go so far as to punish us..." He fell into silence, unsure of exactly what the Kuvay'Nas might do if they knew he was harbouring urchins. Warn me? Advise that I leave the city along with them? Deny me citizenship? As far as Hirem knew, there wasn't a precedent in Akalak law for this sort of affair, so he was unsure of the consequences. A chill reached his shoulders then, making him bundle up his arms as his teeth chattered together. Pushing himself off the bench, the Benshira nodded towards the nearby street. "Would you like to walk with me? It has gotten far cold for me to just sit around." With that said, Hirem began to slowly amble towards the docks, his hands nestled behind his back, keeping a comfortable pace so that Kero might walk beside him. While he did this, he gave her question some greater thought.

"I work at the Rat Hole tavern as a bouncer," he began, gesturing in the building's vague direction. "At the very start of winter, while I was carrying on with one of my evening shifts, I saw a little boy sitting in the alley outside the tavern, dressed in rags with a slaver's brand on his forehead. Up until that point, I had never truly seen what the poor of Riverfall looked like. There are so many wealthy, well-to-do men and women in this city, so many that one might think Riverfall a monument to hard work and industry, but deep beneath the surface, there are plenty that cannot reap the spoils of labour." He took a breath, troubled by the these thoughts. "I took that boy to my friend's home, two miles north of the city. After that, I started paying more attention to the streets and alleyways, hoping to catch sight of these 'ghosts', as I came to knew them. At first it was very, very hard, for they were afraid of being seen and knew how to avoid notice. Whenever I managed to spot one, I offered them something from my belongings - a bowl of soup, a few gold mizas, cloaks like these. Little by little, word had spread among these ghosts of my appearance, and they were no longer so afraid of my presence. They felt comfortable talking with me, and I got to know a few details about their lives. These displays of trust were few and far between, but they let me know that I was on the right path."

"I believe you asked why?" Hirem asked, glancing over to Kero. "In Yahebah, the city of my people, charity is freely given to those that cannot help themselves. We turn away none but the most dangerous of peoples, and let all share in the bounty of our harvests. It has been many years since I was at home in Yahebah, but I will forever carry the city's spirit inside of me. But more than that," he continued, stretching out his cold fingers, "I cannot sit idly by while these children - few though they are - are pushed out the city gates. I came to Riverfall after many years of trouble in Eyktol, and I have found peace here. I have found renewed purpose. This place is a sanctuary in the world, and I want to see to it that everyone gets to find the same joys that I have. These children are most especially deserving of that reward. They have no families, no parents, no friends. They can only rely upon themselves to survive." He held his arms out wide, mimicking the city walls. "What good is a sanctuary if those who are in the most need cannot enjoy its comforts?" Shaking his head, he looked back to Kero and smiled. "I am a foreigner in this city, just as you are. Yet we both seem to have found a place here, working and thriving alongside the Akalak. I believe that these children, these boys and girls from around the world, ought to get the same right."

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on February 7th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Well, they do. Sezkero tried to think of a polite way to rebuttal the man before her. She was not a woman who gave charity so easily. While sympathy was her immediate reaction the the children, empathy overruled it. To say the children didn't get the same chance as herself and the Benshira before her would be false, but to say that it was fair would also be false. But then the snake had to take into account what city she had earned her feet in. The Spires, filled with charity and concern for the united well being. Yes, the Jamoura worked hard and expected everyone to do the same, but if someone couldn't, there was no punishment. There was help and guidance, especially for the young. The long-living race that she had lived with in the Spires valued young more than anything, given that children were few and far between.

And so Sezkero found herself agreeing with Hirem, although her initial reaction was to tell him no. These children didn't have the same advantages. Sezkero, and likely Hirem too, came to this city already with money in their pockets and a way to provide for themselves. And the simple experience she had with a hundred-and-eight years under her belt was far more than an eight year old could hope to have. "Yesss, they should have the same right, but I don't believe the Akalaksss would sssupport that. They don't believe in charity, do they?" Ker found herself thinking on this topic more than she had ever before. It seemed apparent to her that Hirem had thought about this many times before, and his opinions seemed to be solid. "No, but they don't exxactly need charity do they? They need... a ssstep up. A platform to get ssstarted."

Sezkero dragged her eyes from the man's chest to his face, straining her neck against his height. She took a step back, trying to relieve the effort it took to simply look him in the eye, a struggle that she was unfortunately used to. "You don't hope to do that all on your own, do you? For sssome reassson I doubt the Kuvay'Nasss would punisshh you for thisss. Why wouldn't they help you?" Sezkero tried to give this man another view. She liked the way the Riverfall was run, she enjoyed the freedom and the work that went into building this 'Sanctuary' as Hirem had called it. She scraped her brain to think of a way to put her thoughts into words. She knew little of how the leaders of Riverfall would feel about it, but she felt as if they always searched for ways to improve their society.

"If they are looking for a way to improve their community, frowning upon helplesssss children is not how they want to accomplisshh it... I think you are wrong when you sssay that the Kuvay'Nasss would disssagree." Ugh, how do I say this so he understands me? Sezkero found her eyebrows lowering as she tried to organize and attempted to vocalize her thoughts for Hirem. "I think... they don't sssupport charity. I think, they would want thessse children to be ussseful in sssome way. Would working to help them help themssselvesss not be a good idea? Like you do, teach them right from wrong, teach them how to take care of themssselvesss in a way that would not hurt Riverfall... and I don't think the councccill will penalizzze you for that. Right?" She wanted to know why he needed to hide his good deeds. She understood the reason the children needed to stay invisible, but not why he was ashamed of helping them. "It sssimply doesssn't make sssenssse for you to feel asss if you need to hide what you do for thessse children."

Last edited by Ssezzkero on February 10th, 2015, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssezzkero
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Hirem on February 8th, 2015, 5:22 am

"Yesss, they should have the same right, but I don't beleive the Akalaksss would sssupport that. They don't believe in charity, do they?" Sezkero asked, to which Hirem had no ready answer. Frowning, the Benshira offered her a small shrug, as if to say, "I cannot tell". He had never found an actual institution of charity in the city, and Riverfall's laws specifically criminalized those guests that could not maintain employment, but it would be hasty to criticize all Akalak for a lack of generosity. After all, I have ended up being saved from danger or despair by the Akalak often enough. And where they might not be willing to lend aid, other Rivarians have certainly been ready to offer a ready hand. Before he could speak again, Sezkero had more to say: "No, but they don't exxactly need charity do they? They need... a ssstep up. A platform to get ssstarted." Nodding in agreement, Hirem wrapped his hands about each other to stave off the bitter chill. What these children need is a gateway... a path they can follow to become a true Rivarian. Goodwill will only sustain them so far, and when we are gone, they must be able to take care of themselves. That was the idea that he had stumbled upon only recently, but as far as what he must do to realize the dream... he was unsure.

Walking quietly alongside the woman, Hirem kept his mouth pursed as he listened to her speak. "You don't hope to do that all on your own, do you? For sssome reassson I doubt the Kuvay'Nasss would punisshh you for thisss. Why wouldn't they help you?" It was a good question, one that Hirem again found it difficult to answer. He hadn't yet attempted to approach the Kuvay'Nas about this matter... in fact, he hadn't gone yet to approach anyone. The Benshira was forced to consider why the idea hadn't yet crossed his mind. Fear? he thought, wondering if the danger of drawing attention to oneself had kept him quiet until now. There's always a chance that they will look down upon this charity, and see me as a fool feeding the rats plaguing their streets. And then what may befall me? The thought of losing this precious home that he had found here was too painful to dwell on. And yet, that was the worst possibility, and he could hardly base his plans around the worst that could befall him. Besides, he was not going out to the streets every morning for his own sake - he had to seize the chance to provide whatever opportunity he could to these children. If that meant appealing the Council of Riverfall for help... then he would soon be called upon to do just that.

"Kero, that boy I spoke of earlier? The first one of these children that I met?" Looking at her purposefully, he gestured up to the towering cliff face and the city that was attached to it. "He was not so helpless that he could not work - he was thin as a reed, to be sure, but he was old enough to work as a shop hand or courier. He was not unable to find employment... but in all his time in the city, he had not sought work, and work was not offered to him. And I feel that, even if he did show up trying to find a job, he would be turned away because he had nothing great to offer an employer. In Riverfall, you are only as valuable as what you have to offer the city. These children have little to offer, and therefore, according to the law, they have no place in the city. In five years or so... perhaps. But that is a long time to wait, and in the meantime, they will do nothing but take from the city. To the Akalak - who have grown hard to the plight of others - this is an attack on their well-being. So without another option, these children are getting pushed out the gates. To give them a reason to stay... is to go against the wishes of the city."

"I agree with you, in that these children must be given a way to work for their keep... but how, I do not know. I could open a business and hire them all," he suggested sadly, shaking his head, "but I have nothing to offer the Council. I'm unskilled in all but this," he murmured, clenching his fists together. "Perhaps I could speak to the Council directly and see if they would be willing to do something about these poor boys and girls, but I doubt I'd be able to convince them. It's... it's hard to change a world you're a stranger in." Stopping in his tracks, Hirem stared off into the horizon, watching the troubled sea, wrapping his arms around himself. "What would you suggest, Kero? We have a few dozen young children without homes, food, or shelter, trapped in a city indifferent to their suffering. What might we do? What can be done?" He looked over to her, pursing his lips. "I don't believe you're a person to let something like this go... I barely know you, but I feel as if we share a few things in common. Hearts like ours are drawn to hardship, and our hands are compelled to build and shift until we've created something to take that hardship away... so tell me, Kero, what shall we build?"

My PCs:
Hirem
Hirem
The golden age is over.

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on March 2nd, 2015, 5:28 pm

"To give them a reason to stay... is to go against the wishes of the city." Sezkero frowned. What Hirem said was true as far as Sezkero knew, but just shining the light on such an obvious problem was disheartening to say the least. Sezkero found herself nodding along with points in Hirem's speech that she agreed with, although the crease between her brows didn't relax. "I could open a business and hire them all... but I have nothing to offer the Council. I'm unskilled in all but this."

The snake couldn't help but wince at the fist as she turned to Hirem, but her brain was already racing for her to question it too much. "We need an orphanage!" Sezkero turned to the man. But scrunched her nose quickly at the thought of it. The only orphanage she knew was the one in Alvadas, which had not always had positive outcomes for lost children. In the case of removing freedoms and the common disapearances... the idea of it was far better than the reality she had seen. She had heard of the orphanage in the Fortress city of Syliras, but she dared not stay in such a city long enough to learn more about it, nor did her teenage self care for the charity. However the snake knew enough to know not all were bad. "Well... an orphanage of sssortsss. It's a place for the children to stay. A community home for the children." Wide brown eyes followed the Benshira's reaction closely, realizing how absurd such a suggestion was. To her knowledge, and probably Hirem's as well, there were only two people in the whole city who cared enough for such an organization to become a reality. To a man she just met, it was moronic of her to suggest such a thing, especially as a non-citizen.

"I-I mean, of courssse it isss unrealissstic. The councccil wouldn't go through with it." Her gaze dropped immediately, embarrassed at the proposition, and she turned to start out of the ally, slowly enough that Hirem was invited to walk with her. The cold was numbing her toes and her ears were ready to fall off. The bread that had been keeping her warm had since cooled and now she was nothing more than a shivering stand in the snow. But moving her feet served a duel purpose. A reason to be distracted. She may take less embarrassment from the man if she wasn't focused on him. "A-and anyway, it isss too... expensssive. And those children, they don't ssseem the time to take rissssksss..."

Sezkero babbled on, waiting for the stranger to walk with her before starting down the ally. In her mind she couldn't help but think of all the good such an organization would do, but she didn't dare offer any more on the idea, preferring to fall silent instead. She wasn't good at talking, especially not to strangers. So silence, whether it be waiting for his words, or simply the inability to carry a conversation, was most comfortable for her.

Ssezzkero
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next