[Tarot's Office] Thread and XP requests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Within this forum, all Storytellers of any level may feel free to create their office threads. These threads are then used for active thread lists, XP requests, and other communications that aren't necessarily PM required.

Moderators: Junior Storytellers, Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Scribes, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Tarot on May 26th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Welcome to my office. Here you can submit things to my attention. Here you can also learn more about my moderation and development philosophy, as I believe in total transparency in dealing with everyone on the site.

What do you do on the site? Why is your name the only one that's red?
All Founders are equals, my name is red because I am the webmaster and technical person on the site. It serves as a shiny beacon to direct tech questions my way. Other that that, I have the same responsibilities as the other Founders, up to and including plotting world domination at least bi-weekly (as in twice a week, not once in two weeks).

I have heard you are a cruel mod who will torture PCs senseless. Should I really want to be modded by you?
I don't just torture them, I make them enjoy it! Fiction revolves around conflict; without deep struggle there is no story. I am not a cruel mod, however I will touch your PC where it hurts, and I don't mean that physically. Being a true hero is a tough job. Heroes have to make great personal sacrifices and typically lead harsh lives only lit up by the deep conviction they are doing the right thing. Being a villain is a also a tough job, because most people will hate you and you will miss out on so much life has to offer. Even those who dwell in the middle have weaknesses, and plenty of forces in the world that would exploit them to their advantage. I will challenge your PC on every moral and ethical ground. If they have a code or a philosophy, it will be tested for real.

All in all, I follow only one golden rule in my threads, the karma rule. Whatever you do will get eventually back to you in some form, maybe in the next post, maybe 100 posts from now. In most cases there are no 'right' or 'wrong' choices in my threads, but I am ruthless in presenting PCs with the consequences of their actions. If you don't save the damsel in distress, expect the bad guy to dismember her before your eyes. Please do not ask for a thread if you are not ready to handle character development deviating from your carefully laid out plans. The reverse also applies: I will discard whatever plans I had if you do something brilliant to change the course of the thread.

Is there a type of thread you will not mod?
Yes. Mods have the right to enjoy RPing as much as players. A mod who's not having fun only results in painful threads that no-one enjoys. That said, I will not mod:

1) Pre-planned threads with a determined outcome. "I want a thread where I kill five thugs and find a chest of gold they were guarding" will result in polite refusal on my part. "I want a thread where I can get to use my sword skills" is a much more exciting request! Don't ask for too many details. I won't ask you for many details either. I like it when neither party fully knows the other's intentions. Likewise, when you're questing for something, there is no such thing as guaranteed success.

2) Purely training threads. They tend to be boring and repetitive, and I won't mod the same thing twice. Also, I have an unfortunate past full of people who wanted to learn skills in-character that they practiced in real life, too - only to point out every little mistake I made in teaching something they already knew! As a rule, everything I mod is an adventure. You may get training as a side effect or a reward.

3) Hackfests. I like my fights short and sweet, with everyone getting a chance to shine and then quickly wrapping up to the aftermath. A physical fight is just another moment of the struggle, not the struggle itself. I am not obsessed with combat realism either. Detailed combat posts will probably get you more XPs, but are not mandatory.

How do you award experience?
I give plenty of experience, and typically to the skills that matter most to your PC. I do, however, assign XPs on a variable scale. If you are competent and do novice stuff, don't expect the same amount of XP you would have gotten as a novice. As a rule of thumb, I halve the amount of XPs for each level of gap between your PC's level and the things they did in thread. The minimum actually being 0.

How do I get the Being Tarot Award?
You have to beat Mizahar at Nightmare level. Please check the strategy guide for useful tips!
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Siiri on May 26th, 2010, 11:39 pm

I want to be modded by teh Tarot someday! (I'm masochistic that way) :D

Do you limit yourself to your particular region?
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Diem on May 27th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Can you mod a thread for Diem? Something involving priskil that will help along Diem's investigation skill, and perhaps set Diem on his way to earning his second Gnosis mark?
Diem
Carpe Diem

Words: 28676
Joined roleplay: December 26th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on June 6th, 2010, 3:05 pm

I've been holding back this thread in hopes that there's something to continue it with, but the more I delay, the more I think it's fine on its own. Spring's out anyway, so I guess this one warrants an XP award: Petulance gets you nowhere

I also have a thread "Automatons of Great Power" which is barely halfway done, so please do grandfather it. Will try to finish it asap!

If I'm leaving Sahova do I have to post in the Docks thread, too?
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Jette on June 22nd, 2010, 4:09 am

Cancelling request for thread grading. I got another mod to do it!
Last edited by Jette on September 9th, 2010, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jette
Red Desert

Words: 32233
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2010, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Yngvie on August 9th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Greetings Tarot.

I am traveling to Sahova, and I would like my character to take on a familiar. Of course, because Sahova is a town known for it's mages, I though it would be the best place. I would appreciate it if you would rp as some wizard who summons the familiar and provides the Grand Oath.
Thanks, Yngvie.
Yngvie
Chaos's Herald

Words: 9059
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2010, 6:10 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Nimvahlis on September 17th, 2010, 9:31 am

Salutations,

I was told to drop this thread called Hypnotica by this place which may or may not be your office.

Because you asked in chat, here are the main relevant XPs
Callisto - Projection, Seduction
Nimvahlis - Hypnotism, Auristics, Seduction

Thanks and Regards,
Morse
Nimvahlis
Can you feel it?

Words: 96106
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2010, 9:59 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Keres on October 20th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Alright, as you agreed to this in chat, here you go. I look forward to hearing what you have to say, and will soon begin writing the events that follow directly after this thread.

Characters: Keres solo
Thread Link: [Flashback]Zith Family Crisis
17th of Spring 507
Wildlands
Intended: Leatherworking, herbalism, medicine, stealth, and possibly philtering, cooking, and observation.

Thanks
Keres
Circus Co-Organizer

Words: 35184
Joined roleplay: September 21st, 2010, 7:47 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Ragnar One Eye on November 17th, 2010, 7:56 am

Pardon me,
I hope I'm doing this right. I would like to know to whom do I summit a posting to for approval and Most of all how? I liked to start posting On "The City Gate" and flush my story out from there, working off other posting there, if I can? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ragnar One Eye

A.K.A.= Nicholas
~ Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~
Ragnar One Eye
Player

Words: 6700
Joined roleplay: November 15th, 2010, 10:31 pm
Race: Human

Postby Tarot on November 17th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Hello Ragnar,

this is an office thread, where a staff member accepts requests from players. You do not need permission to start a thread or join an existing one. You can just start posting in the city of choice (say, Syliras). You can post at the gates first if your PC doesn't live there, but you don't have to if your PC lives in the city.

Feel free to join an open thread or start one yourself (mark it as Open, though, or people will likely think it's private and not join). You can be in as many threads as you can fit in your fluid time schedule (check out the Time article). Moderators enter the equation when:

1) the thread is done and ready to be "graded" (giving PCs experience points, lores, etc.) OR
2) you need a thread to be formally moderated. Modded adventures involve high risks and high rewards, and high-ranking NPCs may only be played by mods.

Those are the requests you will find in office threads like this. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Next