Rowdy Gals (Alija)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Molly Barlow on January 29th, 2015, 4:34 am

Winter the 40th, 514AV

The beekeeper should be at home but she couldn't stand the constant echo of her own panic. Leo was more at ease with the spreading discolored skin than she was, it was driving Molly mental. To make things more frustrating her mom had randomly decided today would be an excellent day to shut the shop and make herself known at home. It's how she found herself on searching Zeltivas shops for something that wasn't food or so depressing that it might break what was left of her patience in two.

Frustrated with her thoughts refusing to settle on anything but how out of control everything was Molly moved into the first shop that caught her eye and sent out a wave of warmer air. The Armed Scholar always seemed several degrees warmer, Molly thought it to be because of people working under the shop, it was easy to hear the clang of work. It was easier to get lost in the sheen of metal that decorated the whole shop, it seemed cluttered compared to her families own.

Curious, Molly plucked the first item she found off the rack. A small dagger of some kind that felt heavy and cool in her hands. She touched the tip and it dropped to the floor with a hearty clang as a well of blood pooled at the tip of her finger; it felt worst than a bee sting! Finger in her mouth Molly shoved the dagger back, flushed red at the stares she got and disapproval in the store workers face. However, she wasn’t ready to leave the shop just yet, moving to the other end to look at less sharp pieces of work.

These pieces looked almost like decoration, gorgeous but useless. Beside her a woman who looked familiar within the store caught Mollys attention, waving an arm she called out having assumed the other worked there. “How much would it be to get something hand made? I was looking for something someone could use a crutch, like a cane but left their hands free. Oh! Maybe it could even have a dagger in it!"

Mollys hand went to tap her chin in thought. It would have to be sensible for Leo not to be angry with the purchase but at the rate his leg was going...no. Best not to think of that. She shook her head and fingered the other works while she waited for her quote. It seemed even know she couldn't get away from her thoughts, they would follow her everywhere. The woman let out a loud sigh, it was going to be a long day.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Words: 32235
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2015, 12:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Alija on January 30th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Goodbye wrote:
A rather thin woman had entered the shop, examing the products. Being thin wasn't anything new, but Alija always found that it stood out. More than other features anyway. The young lady didn't seem to have a real purpose, just browsing. The blacksmith was about to return to her work, when a clang of metal hitting the floor span her back round, just in time to see the blood beading at the woman's finger. She held back a laugh, watching as she moved across the shop to the more decorative pieces.

The visitor seemed to notice her staring, giving her a friendly wave, before launching into her request. So she did want something after all. It was strange to picture it, but Alija had an idea.

Beckoning her customer over, she brought out a small notebook and pencil from behind the counter. Flicking through pages of scribbles, she opened it at a blank page. Drawing was difficult, but she managed to put her ideas down. Long, thin rectangles meeting at an angle, for the four metal bars, two on either side, meeting at a circle in the middle, designed to move. There would be a curved piece for the lower leg, and it would be held secure by buckles. As she went, Alija explained, hoping to have got it.
"25, 30 maybe. Maybe more. It depends on how much I need. Metal, I mean," she answered.

Alija didn't like pricing things. If she wasn't certain, she didn't want to overprice and drive the customer away.But she didn't want to underprice either. Custom objects were harder to price, but coming up with something completely new...

She shrugged, "I can make it. I think I know how. But I do not know the price. I would have to check on that. And measurements too. I cannot make it without knowing the size."
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Molly Barlow on February 7th, 2015, 8:00 am

She followed the woman to the counter and peered at the upside down drawings. A giggle escape her lips, “We can scrap the dagger idea with that, he’s more apt to stab himself than put it to use. And it wouldn’t have to go all the way up it’s about…” Molly stared her own leg and tapped a pinch above her knee. “here. I don’t think it’d let him bend but he doesn’t need that as much as the ability to stand. Oh! Like a, oh what’s it called, a splint? Of course, more permanent.”

It had to be if the creeping yellow tinge on the skin of his legs was anything to go by. A fresh wave of nausea rose up in her, her brain unable to decipher if it was real or just another figment of imagination and it rose higher as the woman spoke. Her eyes grew very round at the price, she knew metal things were expensive but this was...wow. She exhaled heavily, "I was expecting a lot but that's steep. I don't know if you'd be able to do payments or something? Now I know why Leo never bought anything before! Oh, he can't move and I don't have his measurements, he buys his own things because he's too flipping picky."

He wouldn't be happy she'd spent money on it but there wasn't anything else she could do, and Molly needed help around the house. Actually, there were a lot of things she needed help with and none of them had to do with the house. The beekeeper gave the girl a wan smile but was unsure of what she should do next, she didn’t even have enough miza to barter that price. Still…

“When are you not busy? You can come with me and measure Leos leg-if that’s alright with you-and we can discuss it from there. I don’t live close exactly but we’re not too far.”

Molly gave a small shrug as if to say it was no bother but her face probably said she would very much like both the company and the true quote and measurements. Her nails drummed the counter, impatient quickly and antsy for more of something but she wasn’t sure what.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Alija on February 9th, 2015, 7:03 pm

The customer giggled at the picture, and Alija gave her a scowl. She wasn't certain why, but still felt hurt. The scribble wasn't that bad, was it? She tapped a little above her own knee, thoughtful look in her eyes. "Here," she explained, and Alija jotted notes down, noting the permanent splint type object. She scrapped the dagger idea, Alija sighing with annoyance. She like making daggers and it also lowered the price.

It seemed that the woman was also thinking of the price, but in a different way. "I was expecting a lot but that's steep. I don't know if you'd be able to do payments or something? Now I know why Leo never bought anything before! Oh, he can't move and I don't have his measurements, he buys his own things because he's too flipping picky," she exhaled heavily, eyes growing wider. Alija nodded in what she hoped was a reassuring way.

"Those adjustments knock the price down. But still, 15 or 20 mizas. Again, I am not too sure. I'm not the best at pricing. But we could do payments, if it suited you. In fact," she leant closer, almost whispering, "I don't think I should be doing this, but I'll make you a deal. You won't need it forever, will you? When you are done with it, return it here. You can sell it back, and for a good price. Not completely - you'd have to pay a little, for the coal and time. But it'll be better than what you would get for it otherwise. Deal?"

"I'm not busy now, not really. I'll come, if that's alright!" the blacksmith smiled, before peering into the forge, "Donovan? I'm going for a bit. Cover for me!" She smiled at the customer, nodding, before leading her out of the shop. "How rude of me. I didn't introduce myself. I'm Alija? You?" she asked, following the woman to her house.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Molly Barlow on February 13th, 2015, 12:55 am

Molly cheered for a moment, excited at the prospect, then quieted herself quickly and winked at the other girl conspiratorially. "You're ingenious! Maybe I'll do just that, someone else can get use from it too." She made sure to keep her voice down but didn't agree completely to anything yet. Finances would have to be checked first if she wanted to buy anything, they'd been over spending recently and almost all of it was Mollys doing.

"Oh! You're right, it's good to meet you. I'm Molly Barlow, from Barlows Bees. My parents own it, of course."

The smile she gave was a quick practiced one that came with any introductions. Gradually it faded into a more natural one as she led the way out of the store and began guiding Alija in the direction of her house. But the beekeeper found her feet didn't want to go hope, stalling, slowing and generally taking as much time as possible. All the while thinking of small talk that would avoid the whole point of the venture. But she needn't worry or stall for long because a familiar scent of the docks drifted passed her nose and tossed up a new idea. "You know, Leo is probably sleeping with...everything," the words felt sour in her mouth and she hurriedly rushed passed them, "did you want to grab some drinks first? We can talk more about it then head home, my treat!"

Whether intentional or not Mollys face held a note of pleading, wanting to do anything other than go home and sulk about with her fears and worries. It seemed more logical to just ignore them for a while. They'd be there for her when she returned. Then, without waiting for much of an agreement Molly changed course toward the Kelp Bar, beginning chatter with slightly more grace now.

"I don't meet many woman metalsmiths, is that what you call it? And I don't remember seeing you there before. I feel small minded thinking it would be only men! Has there been much traffic with all the trouble?"
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Alija on February 17th, 2015, 9:35 am

She cheered at the prospect of being able to sell them back, although not agreeing to anything. She was hesitant, revealing the little amount of money she owned. Alija was just glad that her job paid well and that she had little to buy. Others were not as fortunate.

"Oh! You're right, it's good to meet you. I'm Molly Barlow, from Barlows Bees. My parents own it, of course," came a practised introduction, fading into a more friendly smile. Alija nodded, knowing of the shop she spoke about. She had passed it often, and even popped in occasionally to browse the merchandise. Molly seemed reluctant to to go to her home, for she stalled and put the whole thing off.

"Did you want to grab some drinks first? We can talk more about it then head home, my treat!" she asked, changing course to one Alija was almost too familiar with. Well, the Kelp Bar it was.

Although Alija stayed silent, unsure what to talk about with the stranger, knowing that the questions she wanted to ask, about Leo and his condition, were not polite to ask someone you had only met once. Luckily, the stranger spoke for her. "I don't meet many woman metalsmiths, is that what you call it? And I don't remember seeing you there before. I feel small minded thinking it would be only men! Has there been much traffic with all the trouble?"

Alija shook her head in reply to the last question. "Blacksmiths, actually. Metalsmiths shape with alloys and the such. I heat the metal and shape it with a hammer and anvil. I think that's the difference anyway! And I only started last season, so you might have not seen me before!"

They were nearer the Kelp Bar now, almost there.
"Rals doesn't mind that I'm female. Donovan doesn't either, but he doesn't really matter, since he's just an apprentice. If he did care, he wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. Most don't mind that I'm a woman, since I'm good at my craft. Only once did a man refuse to buy anything of me because of that! No problems at all! And you? Have you worked with your parents long?"
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Molly Barlow on March 10th, 2015, 4:19 pm

“Blacksmith? Where could that word have come from? The metal isn’t black!” Molly queried, half curious, half stumbling through the conversation. Her mind was straying again, pulled in several different directions until the smell of the sea hit her nose. “Well then he was an idiot, your drawings looked like they’d make something fine for me. Since I was born! They used to keep hives in their house, you know? I’ve gotten so many beestings some of them seem like they never leave. I don’t hate it though, I love the honey and the bees are very cute. You know, I had a pet bee once. For a day, it…didn’t work as planned.”

The beekeeper laughed at the memory of her child self. It had been a foolish notion and should have been obvious but she’d wanted one. Molly held open the door for Alija and looked around finding that even in the midst of their troubles the Kelp Bar still managed to have a decent amount of people. Probably drinking to forget their troubles, Molly thought, wondering if it’d work as well for her. As she found a table she continued talking and pulled out some coin, not as much as she thought but hopefully enough to cover their tab. Not that it would take much for Molly to feel the beer.

“We’re not very busy right now. No one can afford luxury food and stocks low in the cool seasons.” Molly gestured to the table, “I’ll get us some beer.”

Molly returned quickly with a tray of four beers, her nose wrinkled in unregistered disgust. Zeltiva really needed another flavor of beer or some wine. Still, a drink was a drink after a few. “Enjoy! You know, before I’ve put honey in this. It was disgusting! It actually managed to make it worse!”

The beekeeper took a large swig that clearly said she was a mission to find the bottom of the mug and every mug after that. She was oddly silent in between and when she looked up at Alija again she was a few seconds from crying and the beer hadn’t even hit yet. It was a struggle to talk again but rather than words her lips were around the mug of the second beer.

“My husbands sick.” Molly said after a few long chimes, “Are you married Alija?”

Her stomach began griping about the swill swirling in her belly and lack of food. It gave a sudden headache and the strong urge to throw something at someone’s head to make the feeling stop.
Molly Barlow
Busy Bees

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Alija on March 14th, 2015, 10:22 pm

“Blacksmith? Where could that word have come from? The metal isn’t black!” Molly queried, but Alija had no answer. She smiled and shrugged, leaving it as that while the question nagged at the back of her head. Why was it called that? She didn't know.

"Well then he was an idiot, your drawings looked like they’d make something fine for me," she replied to Alija's statement about the man and once again she smiled.
"He has a reputation for never being happy with what he gets. I don't worry about it."

Molly continued talking, mind seeming to be straying a little. "Since I was born! They used to keep hives in their house, you know? I’ve gotten so many beestings some of them seem like they never leave. I don’t hate it though, I love the honey and the bees are very cute. You know, I had a pet bee once. For a day, it…didn’t work as planned.”

Alija nodded, letting the other woman talk. She slapped down some money on the counter, the two having entered the bar, and gestured to the table. “We’re not very busy right now," she continued, "No one can afford luxury food and stocks low in the cool seasons. I’ll get us some beer.”

"I might pop in then, take a look round. I alwaya like a bit of honey," Alija replied with a friendly smile, "I have a bit of a sweet tooth!" Molly left to get drink, returning with a tray of four. Alija looked warily at them, unsure whether they needed that many. Molly was obviously upset about something.

“Enjoy! You know, before I’ve put honey in this. It was disgusting! It actually managed to make it worse!” Alija nodded, taking the disgusting beer and swirling it around in her cup, trying to appear polite by occasionally sipping it despite the foul taste. She didn't feel like drinking, but her companion did.

"My husband's sick. Are you married Alija?"

That was it.

"I... I'm so sorry... I hope for his health, and yours too. Is that what the crutch is for?" she lowered her head in respect before returning to sit normally, "No, I am not married. I have no wish to either. But I wish you and your husband well. Do you have children?"
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Rowdy Gals (Alija)

Postby Asterope on December 23rd, 2017, 3:56 pm

The Sun Has Risen

And so have your grades!

Alija

Skills
✧Observation +1
✧Drawing +1
✧Negotiation +2
✧Planning +2
✧Persuasion +1
✧Socialization +1

Lores
✧Drawing: Sketching a Mobile Splint
✧Negotiation: Pricing Original Work is Hard
✧Alija: Likes Making Daggers
✧Offering a Deal: Resell it When You’re Done
✧Molly: Daughter of the Owners of Barlow’s Bees
✧Being a Female Blacksmith Isn’t a Problem
✧Molly: Always Being Stung By Bees
✧Alija: Has a Sweet Tooth
✧Location: The Kelp Bar

Notes
This was a fun little social thread! I have to admit, my curiosity was piqued and I ended up googling where the name 'blacksmith' comes from myself. Fun fact: the 'black' refers to an oxide layer that forms when metal is heated, while 'smith' possibly comes from an Old English word that means 'strike'. The more you know! :p

Molly Barlow

Notes
If you return, then please PM me for your grades!

Thank you for your patience! As always, please edit or delete your request in the grading queue; and if you have any questions or concerns about your grades, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me!

The sun will rise, and we will try again
Asterope
A light that never goes out

Words: 661387
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1)