Completed The Sound of Metal

Job Thread

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

The Sound of Metal

Postby Alija on February 25th, 2015, 10:17 pm

88th day of Winter

Alija hurried into the Armed Scholar humming a little tune from the night before. She had visited the bar to celebrate the freeing of the ships, and it was full of sailors with the same idea. They had had the most joyous of times: one man had brought out his fiddle and the sailors had sang a good amount of songs. Alija too had joined in when she knew the words, and on that night, only laughter and music filled the air.

The good mood lingered among the streets the next morning, the warmth of Spring breaking through. Little signs were coming quickly to announce its arrival, and the mood was lightening like the weather. Winter had been a hard time, but that day it wasn't too bad. The thought of a new year brightened everyone's spirit.

When she arrived at the blacksmith, Alija noticed that Donovan too had a fiddle like the man in the bar, and was plucking at the strings gently, the soft noise echoing slightly. He smiled at her when she came in, holding up the instrument with a face of enjoyment. "Found a man with this, and he wanted to sell! I couldn't say no to that good a offer, and now I'm a musician!"

Alija smiled good humouredly, tying her apron on with one quick movement. Donovan seemed to love buying all things strange or unnecessary. It was one of his little quirks. "Having an instrument doesn't make you a musician," she teased him, "But maybe if you wish hard enough it'll play itself!"

Donovan laughed, mouth stretched in a smile. "You don't think I'm that stupid, do you? When I got it, I searched for an instructor and I managed to get someone to teach me. Which reminds me to ask, can you be out front now, and go help Rals in the forge later? So I can be there when the man comes? This afternoon?"

Alija nodded reluctantly, hating having to greet the customers. Her shyness exteneded to all strangers, of which the customers were. Only rarely did she have the courage to start up a conversation, or say anything at all. She pulled off the apron and took her position behind the counter, allowing Donovan to enter the forge.

No one entered the forge for a long time, and despite her pleasure that there was no one to greet, she grew bored of the waiting. She had nothing to do and her usual activities didn't appeal so she started to hum very quietly, before adding words to the tune. Alija spoke them at first before trying to mimick the pitch of the tune. Her voice sounded gravelly and coarse, but it entertained her to see how many lyrics she knew.

The door seemed to swing open as soon as she had started to sing, although in actual fact it was much later, and a tall man dressed in clothes of the highest fashion walked in. He nodded politely, taking his hat off in respect, revealing coarse grey hair and a silver polished monocle. "I am looking for a Master Donovan Smith. Does he work here?"
Last edited by Alija on April 2nd, 2015, 8:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

The Sound of Metal

Postby Alija on February 26th, 2015, 5:35 pm

He coughed a little before continuing, "He promised me a sword, in return for a lesson on playing the fiddle. I used to hold private lessons, you see, before I retired. I have come for the sword, or at least to order it. I assume it will be ready by later today."

Alija said nothing, opening the door to the forge. Rals tapped sharply on the metal with a small hammer, and the echoing hit came from Donovan with the larger one. They were busy, working furiously to the music of their hammers. She returned to the man. "He is currently occupied. However, I can aid in you deciding on a sword. Follow." It was easier to stay simple than complicate things.

He looked open her with the faint hint of distaste, but she had already led him to the swords, picking out the most regal of blades. "This sword is made from the best metal, the point is incredibly sharp. The owner of this shop, Rals, he crafted it, and added the gems and did the engraving. One of his best works.

Despite the quality of the sword, and the beauty, the man just shook his head, blatantly refusing. "He promised to craft me a sword, not to hand me a ready made one. I want a sword made for me, not made for the ever day man. One tailored as a gentleman deserves."

"This sword is one of our best! Most couldn't afford anything like it, they had saved for seasons! And here I am offering it for free! You won't even accept it!" Alija forgot about being shy, her frustration overpowering it. At her words she realized her mistake in trying to give him the sword. She should have offered something cheaper, something worth the price of a few instrument lessons. If she gave away one of Rals' greatest wok for free... Oh, why did Donovan ever get that fiddle? And why had he been so precise with exacting a tailor made sword!

"But I will make you a sword," she replied briskly before he could change his mind. Perhaps she wouldn't have to do anything at all. "I am better than him." She kept the fact that it was only by the tiniest fraction, wanting to use the forge. "While you do your lessons, I can make your sword for you. That way you will not have to return here, and I can take your measurements now."

The man nodded at her reply, satisfied with the deal she had made. "I will accept, but it better be worth it. I want a sword, perhaps this length," he pointed to a sword on the display, "Yes, this size. But better. My services are not worth a sword this bad!"

Alija withheld the urge to retaliate, as she felt that the sword she had made that he had pointed to was one of the best she could do. She smiled to herself, devising a plan in her mind. She didn't like the man, feeling that he would do his best to trick Donovan out of every penny he owned, and the boy would believe him. She took the sword he had pointed at, spinning it in her hand. Yes, it was a good sword, he was just trying to get more after she had offered their best sword.

"Donovan will come out in a minute. I'll take this sword for... guidance on the size. I hope what I make will please you." Of course, she wasn't going to make anything. But he didn't have to know that.

Alija turned around to find Rals disappearing quickly into the basement, and Donovan emerging shortly behind him with a shovel he had repaired. He nodded politely to the man, putting the repaired shovel away and quickly talking with Alija, "Rals said you needed to make a triangle. Not too sure what  he meant by that. Anyway, sir, I have my violin..."
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Sound of Metal

Postby Alija on April 2nd, 2015, 7:28 am

Alija left him before she could hear him sucking up to that nice man. A triangle. She assumed he meant the musical instrument, a metal rod curved into a triangle shape. If it was that, she didn't have to work hard. But first, she needed to polish that sword, sharped it a little and return it as her own creation.

Taking a whetstone, she stared at it uncertainly. She had seen Rals using it, but she had never really paid too much attention to him. She placed the sword at an angle to it before rubbing it up and down, hoping that she was doing it right. It appeared to be working, so she continued, trying to make the screeching of a violin in the other room go away. Every now and then there would be a quick burst of music of a certain bragging man, but nothing appealed to her. She preferred the sound of metal to the sound of music.

After long enough, she stopped, giving it a quick shine with a spare cloth. She stuck her head out of the forge door, frowning at the screech of Donovan's playing. She gave the sword a wave before placing it on the counter and returning to the forge. Now for the fun part.

Rals had left a long rod of steel for the blacksmith to use, but the metal wasn't one she was used to. Alija had only just started working with steel, and if it wasn't for the fact that Rals had entrusted her with the job and given her it, she would have doubted her ability to make a steel dinner triangle.

The metal was ready for her use. It was long but when Alija shaped it it would be the correct size. The thickness seemed right as well, so she had little to worry about. She heard light shuffling in the other room and the clank as the sword was picked up. She stopped just to listen to what he thought of the polished sword.

"It is... good. I didn't expect a girl to do so well, actually. So she is a blacksmith, not just a clerk. Donovan, what is this here? This... scribble in the metal? A fault?"

Alija bit her lip. She had forgotten about Rals' mark, the severed wings, on the sword. He would realize, he would, that it wasn't her own creation, that she had cheated him. Thank goodness Donovan realized her fault.

"Severed wings, sir, the mark Rals puts on whatever he makes-"

"-So Rals made this, not the girl, Alice you said? So you did not stick to that side if the deal, or she did not. Shall I not stick to mine?"

"Alija. Her names Alija. And I'm certain she did. She must have put the severed wings on so when anyone marvels at this sword, you can just show them that and they'll know that you came here."

"Advertising through me? I knew she would sink that low. After all, with my respect and connections, I could have the whole of the Zeltiva flocking here."

Alija stifled a laugh, before returning to her work. First, fire.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Sound of Metal

Postby Alija on April 2nd, 2015, 7:29 am

Poking it a little, she let the flames grow before adding more coal. Satisfied with the size, she took a second to concentrate on nothing, letting Djed fill her eyes. She then focused on the metal bar, letting her mind synchronize with the very small aura that it had. Just from that initial focus, she could sense that it was steel, cool but strong. She pushed the bar under the coals, hidden from her view but she still held the aura in her mind. As it heated, it changed, showing the warmth and the bendability of the object.

Once the metal was the correct heat, she stopped looking at the aura and removed it from the heat. Holding a hammer in one hand and the metal, in tongs, in the other, Alija placed it carefully on the horn of the anvil, using it to curve the metal round. The rod bent easily, but she was uncertain how far to bend it. It was easier said than done.

She tapped lightly so not to over do it but the weak force meant it took longer, and the metal soon cooled again. Once again focusing on its aura, she returned it to the fire. This time, she let it heat even longer, hoping that it would last. The orange metal glowed through the coals and soot, radiating heat.

Clang, clang, clang. The noise echoed across the forge as Alija finished the first corner. One more to go, as the final wouldn't actually need any work, and the job would be done. She examined her work, a little disappointed that the curve left the shorter side still a little too long. It was annoying, but she had forgotten to do any measurements, so her triangle wouldn't be as straight as it could be.

In an attempt to rectify the situation, she measured out the shorter side, before marking that length on from the other side. At least this way two sides could be almost the same. If she curved it at the exact point perhaps it would not appear to bad. All that mattered was that it made a noise, didn't it?

Again she heated it, and again she returned it to the anvil to bend the other corner. From the practise of the other one, she felt herself speed up a little, making full use of the anvil's horn to make the curve. It was a simple job, all that was involved the curving of the metal in two points. Before long she was done, and satisfied with her work.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Sound of Metal

Postby Alija on April 2nd, 2015, 7:30 am

Alija held it in a bucket of water beside the anvil, letting the metal hiss at the contact. When it had cooled, she decided to test what she had done, but in her concentration on making the triangle, she had forgotten to make the thing to hit it with. With lack of a better name, she scanned the forge in hope for a piece of metal designed for the purpose, but the blacksmith realized in vain that the triangle she had made was too large, and in fact Rals had meant for her to cut a piece of that.

A little annoyed with herself, Alija ventured to the store room in hope of discovering a decent piece of metal to use instead. In a rather messy pile in one corner was a series of metal bars like the one she had used to make the triangle, and it was evident by the way they had been messily left that someone had recently taken one. The one she had used.

The bars were varying length, some longer and some shorter but none were initially short enough. Alija would have to cut them. Taking the shortest one she left the room, once again passing Donovan's screeching and his teacher's snobby playing. Ignoring them the best she could, Alija returned to the forge, preparing to chisel this bar to be shorter. A chisel was needed, so while she left the bar to heat, keeping its aura in the back of her mind, she found one.

Using a vice, the blacksmith secured the metal in place, before chiselling a deep score with the chisel. She flipped the metal over so the dent was invisible and placed the chisel upon the opposite side, hammering with enough strength to cut away piece of the metal. All that remained was a thin section holding the two pieces together. A quick cool and Alija was able to snap the two sections apart, leaving a shorter piece, one end rough.

Filing it away, the metal seemed perfect to be used to make the triangle sound. Pulling out a thread from her shirt she tied it onto on of the corners, looping it round to make a handle of sorts. The noise of the shorter metal bar hitting the triangle rang through the forge. Alija smiled, returning to the shop. She tucked it away behind the counter, ready to leave. That was, if Donovan and his music teacher let her pass.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

The Sound of Metal

Postby Keene Ward on May 9th, 2015, 2:02 am

Grades

“For there is nothing lost, that may be found, if sought.”
-Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene

Alija

Skills
    Blacksmithing +2
    Auristics +1
    Singing +1
    Land Navigation +1
    Socialization +2
    Rhetoric +1
    Negotiation +1
    Persuasion +1
    Intimidation +1
    Planning +3
    Subterfuge +2
    Observation +4
    Weaponsmithing +1
    Organization +2
    Tactics +2
    Philosophy +1
    Bodybuilding +1
    Knot tying +1

Lores
    Weaponsmithing: Using a Whetstone
    Blacksmithing: Triangle
    Aura: Steel

Rewards/Consequences
None

Notes
Very nice little blacksmithing thread! Her little outburst and subsequent revenge was well done and very entertaining. Good work!

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me a PM!

Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)