Hello!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Hello!

Postby Mea on April 14th, 2015, 2:29 am

Hello! Looking forward to starting on a new roleplay site. I'm not new to roleplay but I'm no veteran either, and I can make obvious mistakes at times. As far as what I'd like to be called, as long as I know it's me who's being a dressed I'm impartial to whatever name/nickname/title/honorific (as long as it's appropriate, of course) people would care to refer to me as. I found out about this site because I was referred by a friend, who was also referred by a friend. I'm particularly excited about playing in such a lore heavy environment, but I don't particularly comprehend the time stamping system. I mean, I understand literally how I'm supposed to do it, but I'm not fully grasping the idea of fluid time, and how some events can happen in RP before others, thought they literally happen after. If someone could clarify the idea of fluid time for me, that would be helpful. I look forward to playing though.
Mea
Player

Words: 488
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2015, 8:58 pm
Race: Pycon

Hello!

Postby Keene Ward on April 14th, 2015, 2:47 am

Hey there, Mea! Welcome to Miz!

Liquid time can definitely be confusing. I'll try to explain it, and if it doesn't make sense, feel free to just repeat the question and I'll try again!

So, in a specific timeline, let's say these things happen in chronological order:

You fight a bear, you get into a fight at a bar, you make love to someone, you get a serious injury.

With liquid time, you can write each of these events in any order:

you get a serious injury, you get into a fight at a bar, you fight a bear, you make love to someone.

With the time stamps, you then are able to clearly outline where each of these events belongs in your character's timeline. Liquid time can be really useful for relatively unrelated encounters. Say, you want to thread with three different people in three different capacities? Liquid time would allow you to write with all three people at the same time. The time stamping would simply denote that what is happening is not happening all at the same time. So you thread with PC A on the third, PC B on the eighth, and PC C on the eleventh. Then, it's chronologically in order!

Something you should always take into consideration, however: If you're writing a thread in which a serious injury occurs, that injury will be present in any threads after that date. If your character dies in a thread before other threads you're currently writing/have written, those threads will become null and void.

This doesn't happen very often, but it can happen, so I just wanted to point that out.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense! Let me know if you still need some clarification. I'm happy to help!
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Hello!

Postby Mea on April 14th, 2015, 6:35 pm

That makes a lot more sense now, thanks for that detailed explanation. One more smaller question, if a character receives a serious injury in a thread which is chronologically earlier than another thread which is already being written, how would that serious injury be reverse implemented without compromising any other pc's participating in the thread?
Mea
Player

Hello!

Postby Keene Ward on April 14th, 2015, 8:47 pm

It's possible you'd have to go in and edit the injury into your latter threads depending on the severity of the injury. So, for this kind of inconvenient reason, people will sometimes "time lock" their PCs at certain key points for a quest or modded thread until they're ire their character won't be super affected by something that would create major consequences on later threads. So like, you write in liquid up to the 40th and then don't wrote anything past that date until yor quest on the 40th is over, if that makes sense. :)

Mostly though, if you're worried about something happening in a modded thread, don't hesitate to ask if there will be serious consequences you need to be taking into account for threads after it with whoever is modding. Communication is key! :)
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Hello!

Postby Mea on April 16th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification, liquid time is making a lot more sense to me now. Time to put together a character sheet!
Mea
Player

Hello!

Postby Tanna on April 16th, 2015, 1:47 pm

How exciting! I look forward to seeing what you come up with and welcome!
Tanna
words & whims

Words: 114416
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2015, 12:25 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Hello!

Postby Terag on April 21st, 2015, 8:29 pm

Welcome! Like it was said before, just ask anyone here about anything if you have questions and can't seem to find an answer. I've yet to see anyone who isn't as friendly and helpful as can be. It'll all come with time, so just keep at it and enjoy it as best you can.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes