Solo Setting up shop

Xira looks over his new shopfront and gets his first customer

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Setting up shop

Postby Xira Hezmek on June 2nd, 2014, 12:25 am

10th of Summer 514

Buying the shop was like moving out of his home all over again. It was rife with endless possibilities. The courier could now truly make himself apart of the city he had come to love. Riverfall, that jewel along the coast.

Xira looked up at the storefront, the glass windows opening up to a bare shop front. Low glass shelves were positioned in the back, ready to be organized and set up. Crates of supplies were stacked neatly along the back wall. It would take work for just the shopfront to be ready, but oh was it exciting work.

The courier to be waited for the representative of the council, a bored, young looking fellow with an unusually bright blue skin tone. "Here is your copy of the deed to the shop. Here are the keys and the list of supplies you claimed you needed along with the bill." He said with that increasingly familiar Riverfall accent. "The council wishes to remind you that this is not free, you will be expected to pay back your debts and work towards kuvan status, then and only then will you get the original deed." Xira nodded to the representative, most likely an aide or just a messenger for the Council of Ten. Though for all he knew this was a council member himself! "I understand Sir, please let the council know that it is an honor and a privilege to have my business backed by the city." He gave a low bow and took the two wrapped scrolls of fine parchment and the keys. Just touching the objects was electrifying. Like dragging one's feet across a woven carpet or rug and touching metal.

The young Akalak then turned and left, leaving Xira to his own devices. He fumbled with the ring of keys and the door's lock. His excitement made his hand tremble, but in a quick moment there was a soft click and he swung open the door. The shop smelled of cedar and Sandalwood, presumably from the walls or floors. The courier and now shop owner took a deep breath, closing his eyes as he basked in the empty shop. It was liberating, it was his.

Before he had the chance to actually set up and stock his shop, he would need to first check out the other rooms. Directly to his right and the back upon entering the shop was a door that led to the stables and the dovecote. He would need to introduce his caged birds to their new home and bring Snow from the Sanctuary to test out the new stables. Relatively new, the structure had only been up for a year or two apparently. On the wall adjacent to the right wall, the back wall, was a door to the storage room. A warehouse in miniature for the holding of all of his future customer's packages to be delivered. And through there his office with all the paperwork... when he had customers of course. Xira started with the storage room.

The room was very simple, clean, rough hewn planked floors that were empty save two sets of large and well made wooden shelves. But those were not arranged yet and were set to one side. The storage room required its own key, a special condition that required a locksmith to alter the door. Such security measures were ideal for someone who required his client's items to be safe. Inside the storage room was yet another room to the right. Xira's office.
A desk, chair and hutch were stacked neatly and out of the way, making the space seem larger than it would be with the furniture in place. Indeed, this was where the important work would happen. Paperwork, money storage, and so on. It was where he got started setting up as well.

Xira slid the furniture into place, trying his best to make the desk and hutch fit the room efficiently. The comfortable chair seemed to belong behind that desk. And so would the courier often be. He then worked in the storage room, which was more difficult work. Xira's muscles strained against the weight of the tall and long shelving. He huffed and sweated due to the shelves weight, and it took him long chimes to get them all into place. The shelves stretched the entire length of the building when completely set up. Then he took paper and ink and drew signs to help organize his work. The two shelves were designated, In or Out. The In shelves would hold packages awaiting delivery from out of town, and Out would be packages and letters awaiting delivery from within the city. Each shelf had space reserved by location in the region and a space for excess stock in the very back.

On one hand, he knew this was to be a very serious matter and should be treated as such. But all the wanted to do was dance and run about his new place. He took a combination of the two. He worked and cleaned, and organized the whole day away with a lightness in his step and a song in his heart.

By the time Nichil came about everything seemed to be in order. The glass shelves and tables set out with courier related supplies. The great weight-scale next to the bar to be used as his main workspace. The stables were stocked with gear, hay and other supplies. Even his doves, to be a long line of messenger birds, were settled in their new home comfortably.

"Hey, you weren't kidding. This place looks great." said the dour groom and assistant of Xira's, "So, I know we already discussed a little bit about what I'll be doing here... I just wanted to go over it again."

Xira nodded and smiled, "Alright, so you will be tending to the stables, the doves and the shopfront whenever I am not around. Primarily you will feed any horses staying here, clean the stables, feed the birds and so on. When those things are finished for the day you will help out around the shop area. If a customer comes in while I am out on a delivery you are to ask what is to be delivered and where. Then you must write down a missive as proof of their purchase, take the Mizas, weigh it if necessary and take it to the back room to be delivered. You should offer our packaging services or our packaging materials should they bring in a parcel. However, if they bring in something particularly unusual, say they wish to have us pick up horses and deliver them to another place, then you still write a missive, but you are not to negotiate a fee until I return."

Ideally, I'll be about the shop the majority of the time. I am thinking that deliveries should be made around mid afternoon. That way they are done all at once. How does that sound?"

Nichil frowned, "Well holy Zulrav, you didn't have to talk my ear off. You are like the great stormlord himself, blowing great gusts of air." Now it was Xira's turn to frown, the courier crossed his arms and blinked at the drykas, "Yeah yeah, I got it. Don't give me that look, you know its true. Tend the stables and the shop, keep things clean and keep the customers happy. Don't make them wait around. I gotcha."

The drykas then went out to look over the stables. The man was a grumpy fellow, but he did at least know his way around a stable. Most likely the man was situating the place to his liking. Xira sat behind his bar, smiling to himself. He was officially open for business.
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on April 17th, 2015, 4:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Setting up shop

Postby Xira Hezmek on September 16th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Much of that had been spent cleaning. But by the time they were finished, Xira found himself with nothing to do. It was a matter of waiting. The shop ideally would get a lot of foot traffic coming by it. The place was next to the Land gate after all. People in the city often went out to work at the vineyard and the orchards, or various places in the immediate area. So naturally it was just a matter of time for people to notice his sign.

"Mizahar's Express Courier Services" It read. And time passed with Xira waiting. He spent that time practicing his magic. Using reimancy was engrossing and passed the time quickly. He pulled Res from his fingertips slowly, extruding his own djed into a form that he could manipulate. He could control the shape, the physical form and density of the Res, but it took a fine control that he did not have yet. For now he stuck with what he knew; the violet Res oozed from his hands as a thick fluid. It was almost like a purple tinged glass that dripped onto the bar, and it was fascinating to simply watch in this form. The act of pulling the djed from his very being was euphoric. He loved the feeling and he could always feel the urge to cast just a little bit more. He indulged himself and collected more of himself into res and slid it out onto the bar.

The very nature of Res was that he could feel it there, sitting on the bar. He could manipulate it with his mind, with his hands, with his words. Then he could turn it to unyielding stone, if he chose. He smoothed out the fluid with his hands and changed its properties so that it would neither stick to his body nor the wood of the table. It was not a perfect change, there was still a tendency for it to stick to his hands... like some sort of glassy candied treat. But it worked. He did not know he could do it until he did it or exactly how he did it, and the self taught lesson came as a surprise. What other properties could he manipulate of the Res?

He clenched his hand and the fluid spread into a disc turned to stone. It appeared to be something not unlike a strange form of dark, smokey crystal, but... polished? It gleamed strangely in the light, with streaks of colors running through it. The stone seemed to have only partially transmuted and left streaks of violet glass Res. Though... he could not feel it anymore, so perhaps it was just a clear violet mineral.

Just as he was puzzling over this new creation of his, the sound of the door interrupted his thoughts. He slid the disk off his counter and into a drawer before responding. "Hello! Welcome to Mizahar's Express Courier Services." Xira said to the tall, hulking akalak. "How may I assist you this fine afternoon?"

The next exchange was done in a flurry. The green skinned man smiled genially and set down a parcel on the bar. "Hi I would like this delivered. Normally I would just do it myself, but I have guard duty soon and won't be able to give this to my friend on time. It's his birthday you see..." The courier and shop keeper nodded and smiled, "Say no more, just tell me who and where, and I will get it to them posthaste. Just let me weigh it, and we'll see how much this will run you. Ah, here we are. Only a single gold rimmed miza." Xira smiled as the mizas were exchanged and waved to the green man as he left.

My words

Their words
Last edited by Xira Hezmek on March 23rd, 2015, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Setting up shop

Postby Xira Hezmek on January 10th, 2015, 9:43 am

Joy of joys. He had only just set up shop and he was already getting customers. Surely this bode well for his ambitions. In this case it was merely a jaunt around town. To deliver the parcel; that birthday present. The parcel even had a card! He stuck his head into the stables and called out. "Going out on delivery, you're in charge Nichil. Don't burn down the shop!"

In moments he was out the door on an adventure in the city of water.

Unfortunately, Riverfall was a maze and Xira was a bit directionally challenged. His goal was Kuahala Estates, which was next to the Wysar tower. Or so his map declared. The issue for Xira was that the city was vertical. With many stairs up and down the city and honeycombs of dwelling and tunnels carved into the stone. Only so much could be communicated in flat parchment. As such his navigation led him near to the opposite side of the city.

Somehow he found himself near Nysel's tower. A near obelisk dedicated to the Lord of dreams. It was a beautiful place. A tall tower surrounded by a charming garden. Odd that the place didn't have an entrance to the tower though. He bowed his head in reverence as he approached the alter and gave an offering of a few Mizas. It was a pittance compared to the gratefulness Xira held towards the dreamlord. Nysel may or may not have had a hand in Xira living out his dream now, but the courier knew better than to test such matters when gods were involved.

With the task done he went out into the city once more. Amazing what a simple act might do to one's spirits. With a light heart and a light step he did his best to commit the map's details to his mental map. Part of navigating the city was taking in landmarks and, in his mental map, it was these landmarks mapped in three dimensional space that had him more or less going in the right direction. But goodness, all those stairs had him huffing and puffing. Each stone step led him up past fluting waterfalls and vast and creative gardens. Unlike syliras, Riverfall was a city overflowing with greenery. Huge clay urns, terra cotta pots, beds of soil and even small park-like areas simply flourished in a riot of green and other colors. It was as if each building was holding a contest to grow the biggest, brightest plants.

He checked the address he had written down.
It read: Arma'Drex Smithy, Second tier.
Haiduk the Master Smith.

Of which, Xira had no idea where he was headed.

So he did what few men did but was only the most logical move. He stopped for directions. The woman he questioned was a slight thing with a swollen belly. He knew little of the akalak beyond that their pregnancies are difficult on the mothers. He wished the woman a well and healthy delivery in his mind. "Excuse me ma'am. Would you mind directing me to Arma'Drex Smithy? I need to meet with a... uh..." He glanced down at the scrap of paper again. "Haiduk the Master Smith."

The woman, decidedly of human or perhaps kelvic makeup, smiled but then grimaced and stroked her belly. "Of course young man, go ahead and go north for a bit." She pointed in the direction as if he didn't know his cardinal directions. "Head down to the Fresh Start Resort, then go west. Follow along the road past the Kuahala Estates and down the stairs. Once you make it to the second tier just follow along the path until you hit the shop. Can't miss it."

"Thank you ma'am, congratulations on the baby and have a safe due date!" He exclaimed as earnestly as he could as he turned to leave. The woman went back to her duties, sweeping the "porch" of her home.

My words
Their words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Setting up shop

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 17th, 2015, 4:34 am

In the end Arma'Drex Smithy happened to be a simple enough set up. It was a stout, white washed building that jutted out of the cliffside itself. Xira was almost unsure that he was at the right place. Arma'Drex appeared to be the only smithy that he knew about, and it was no where near the size and shape of the Ironworks. It had the clear signs of a smithy with its characteristic smoke vents and billow clouds. Apparently the Master Smith was hard at work.

Entering the building was an issue though. When Xira tried the door the single oak door refused to budge. The courier leaned himself against the door as he attempted to open it with no effect. Neither did pulling it. He braced himself to slam himself into it, hoping that the door wasn't simply locked and barred when the oak door screeched open and he was greeted with a perplexed, particularly brawny blue man. Xira gave an intelligent, "Uh.." before the man said, "Can I help you?" in a husky voice.

The courier coughed "Ah, excuse me. I am Xira Hezmek, owner of Mizahar's Express Courier Services. I am seeking the Master Smith Haiduk. I have a parcel from a... Ah, I seem to have forgotten." The brawny man nodded and offered entrance to his shop "He is working in the back. Go ahead and wait while I fetch him. I am Loriim, by the way." He offered his hand to the courier before he departed. Xira grimaced as his hand was encased in steel, but shook the Akalak's hand as vigorously as he could given that he was dealing with a powerful smith of a powerful race.

The inside of the building building was divided in two and Xira was given leave to explore both. To the left was a small sort of antechamber the was littered with weapons of all shapes in kinds. Racks, barrels, and glass counters carried an impressive array of weapons of all shapes and sizes and materials. The courier set the parcel down on a counter and went to investigate. Daggers of all sorts lined the counter, beautiful masterpieces with inscriptions and inlays, as well as simple, well crafted, sturdy pieces. So it was for the other classes of weapons, maces, hammers, axes and polearms. All ranging from the obvious masterpiece to the unadorned. Everything was of the highest quality. It was clear to Xira that Haiduk put his best into every piece.

However, one of the weapons caught Xira's eyes. He frowned, eyebrows furrowed as he craned his head up to consider one of the more unusual swords encased in glass and mounted up far away from sticky hands. It was beautiful, but shaped strangely and with a mark he had never seen before. The sword and its mate started with a hook at the tip and appeared to be about 3 feet long. Its hilt had an enormous crescent guard that seemed to be also a blade itself and its pommel was not unlike a spear tip. It was extremely unusual. Nothing that Xira had ever seen before. Since every portion of the sword seemed bladed, it was likely to be very deadly.

My words

Their words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Setting up shop

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 17th, 2015, 4:35 am

The courier's inspection was interrupted by a rumbling voice behind, "Neat, huh? That is a Tiger hook blade from Sultros. Or so I was told when I got it. Even if it's not true, it was a good gift. Very well made. Would you like to hold them?" Xira turned and watched as an even larger blue Akalak made his way into the shop floor. The courier had a chance to stop him, but honestly, the man was intrigued. "I would, I, uh, have a package for you as well."

"Yes." The grumbling voice said back in a different tenor as before, "Here." In a few moments the tall, bulky man hoisted the blades down with only a light flick to close the locked cabinet. The blades were lighter than expected, impossibly so. "They're Isurian steel, Izentored by a smith of great skill. Not for sale" He added that last bit as an after thought, as if Isurian steel and Izentor meant something to Xira. "What does that mean?" He inquired curiously as he gave a swing with one blade, causing the metal to sing in the air. Amazing, the slightest movement was so fluid despite him never using the weapon. The material was so different from normal steel it seemed to function as an extension of his arm. He could only imagine what it would be like for a master of this weapon to hold it.

"You don't know what Isurian steel or Izentor is?" The akalak asked as if Xira was dense. Going slowly, he explained "Isurian steel is a metal made from a special alloy that only the Isur can make. That steel is a smith's dream, lighter, stronger and more durable than normal steel, rustless, capable of fusing with magic in a way unlike any other metal as well as breaking a lesser blade. The Isur are a race of master smiths, children of Izurdin, the god of Strength, Industry and Patience. They can channel their gnosis into their creations which is called Izentor. Which causes a divine strength to be imbued into the weapon. Together, a weapon can cleave through armor as if it wasn't there." Xira held the weapons before him reverently. He had no words for what he had in his hand. It was clear to him that these materials, base things, were extremely rare. Otherwise he would have heard about it in Syliras. No, this was an anomaly that he was likely to never see again.

"Yeah." The smith said simply before his personality seemed to shift, "Quite the prize, huh? I was skeptical at first, but it was super easy to test. Just strike two blades together and see what happens." The big man laughed. "Split one of my best work in two! Worth mine, yours and Lorrim's weight in gold. So don't get any ideas little man." The big man sneered down at Xira, who replied with a humble. "Oh never, it is best in the hands of a great warrior or a master smith like yourself. But... what if I commissioned a piece from you? A copy in normal steel? The shape really intrigues me, even if its nonfunctional, it would be a good decoration for my home or my shop. Oh! Before I forget. Here, take this. It has already been paid for." Xira handed the parcel to the man, Haiduk, and smiled. He took the parcel, considering Xira's request. "I suppose that is do able. I'll give it some thought and let you know. You would need some wooden training versions if you wanted to learn. I don't make decorations, only functional pieces, you see. Some other time."

The courier nodded and bowed, "Thank you for your time. I apologize for soliciting when I should have focused on your deliver. To which that sneer came back, "You worry too much, little man."

Not long later Xira was on his way home, considering the day's events. To think that on his first day he managed to get work, find his quarry and then basically commission a pair of those strange swords. Not an altogether bad day, just strange. At least signs were good that his business was going to take off. He realized he was in a niche and luxury position. However, the Akalak and their families appeared to be wealthy, and busy enough to actually need his assistance. Well... let's just see how things go, he thought to himself as he closed up for the evening.
My words

Their words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Setting up shop

Postby Ashar on April 23rd, 2015, 8:17 pm

Xira Hezmek
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation 3
Organization 2
Leadership 1
Reimancy 2
Socialization 2
Land Navigation 1
Investigation 1

Lores
Leadership: Delivering Instructions
Reimancy: Affecting Res Properties
Land Navigation: Important Landmarks
Riverfall: Arma’Drex Smithy
Isurian Steel: Lighter and Stronger
Isurian Steel: Rare Outside Sultros
Izentor: Divine Imbuement
Izurdin: Strength, Industry & Patience
Isur: Children of Izurdin
Tiger Hook Blades: Appearance

Additional Comments
Great job putting a variety of skills and ideas into a single thread. Just as a reminder, though, public views on the use of magic are not very calm or understanding, so for future reference it might be risky to be practicing Reimancy in the front of your shop. Other than that, it was a good and interesting read. Good luck with the establishment.

Don't forget to edit your grading request, and if you have any concerns with your grade feel free to PM me.
Ashar is being renovated. Be patient!

"Do not try to fight yourself. Such is the road to chaos."
Image Image Image
Ashar
Pushing onward

Words: 142780
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 1:04 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes