Closed [Valkalah Library] Knowledge is Power (Yra)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Valkalah Library] Knowledge is Power (Yra)

Postby Timothy Mered on May 4th, 2015, 3:10 am

43rd of Spring 515AV

The Valkalah Library smelled of old parchment, dusty covers and a tinge of sweat, likely produced by those hawk-nosed snobs who had decided to spend the day in a muggy, dimly lit room rather than enjoy the sun. Or perhaps the sweat and blood dripped off the pages on Riverfall’s wars and sieges. Right after he’d entered the library an elderly Nakivak had shooed him towards the children’s corner, forcing him to sit through half a sermon on Riverfall’s long-dead heroes. It was only on the pretense of wetting his pants that she allowed him to slip from her sight. He had headed straight into a quiet side room where he didn’t have to endure the chattering of kids half his age, or the dumb smiles of old, decaying people who thought their stories were even remotely interesting.

‘Science, Arts, and Religion’ the plaque over the door had read. A mere season ago his interest in that particular section would have had a different cause. Now, it was all about learning to understand the enemy and their followers. Polished wood creaked under his boots as he tip toed through the lanes, his finger tracing rows of covers. It was a much cooler room, thanks to one of the large, rectangular windows that allowed sun and air to breathe freely. A large table had been lined underneath the window sills. Seated at it, a handful of quiet, hunched-over souls soaked up new knowledge like sponges. He hardly gave them a glance before stepping into the maze of bookcases.

Many of the heftier books were on the subject of art, some particularly dusty ones promised detailed scientific accounts of various gems; their origins and their supposed healing powers. Perhaps another day...

In the end, he’d nearly gone full circle through the rectangular room before he found the small bookcase on religious subjects, a tiny, rickety little thing bulging dangerously under the weight of the tomes laid therein. Strange, he'd expected it to be of more importance in a city like this. Or maybe it was not. Not too interested in any of the books stacked within the bookcase he turned around and let his eyes slide across the room. Almost immediately they settled on the girl near the window sill; a young looking woman with flowing honey hair and-

Horns? He’d seen them before on Caelum but never thought too much of it. It was just how the man looked. A mental sigh sounded in his mind. He’d never questioned why Caelum looked that way or if there were more of his people, let alone what kind of people that would be. Somewhat intrigued, by benefit of the purple cutting through her hair, he let his gaze wander over her face, quietly observing her every feature until eventually, his eyes slid down to the book underneath her fingers. She was quite pretty, she couldn't be much older than himself. Sucking in a breath, he mustered his courage and soldiered forward.

Clearing his throat he tapped the girl on her shoulder “Excuse me, but will you be done with that soon? I need it.” It was a petty excuse to talk to her, but perhaps it was passable.
Last edited by Timothy Mered on May 11th, 2015, 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Words: 296697
Joined roleplay: June 10th, 2014, 1:43 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Yra on May 5th, 2015, 11:23 pm

The book had drawn her in at sight, a desire to touch it flourishing before the intricate writing embellishing the cover, proclaiming the title. In no simple terms could Yra have explained what brought her to pull the book from the shelf and open it, but if put on the spot, she could prattle off a list of truths and half-truths to satisfy even a catankerous old librarian.

She had started at the foreword, addressing the nature of the deities and their worshippers. There were names given that Yra could not place, likely the names of the gods of other, freer, men.

Easily, Yra bored of the initial chapter. It was wordy and eloquent in the ways she wasn't, although fluency in Common allowed her some insight into the meaning behind a number of the larger words. The chapter insinuated to Yra, unfortunately inexperienced as she was, that the author might have been more a scholar than a faithful believer. The realisation left a familiar, although unwelcome, taste in her mouth as she skipped through the final two pages in it to find the first chapter.

Considering her unfamiliarity with her setting, having never entered a library beforehand, Yra took to the book like a child to an interesting new toy. Etiquette, if there was any, was lost on her. She stood there, where she'd taken the book (yet helpfully she stepped aside for an older Akalak to take an uglier tome), reading on the first of the gods the book covered: Akajia.

Before Yra could truly immerse herself, she was joined by an unexpected boy she'd have considered less of a child if he hadn't requested the book from her. She found herself displeased, but less so because of his request; Yra didn't like the sensation of being tapped.

Quickly, she closed the book and pressed it close to her chest before turning her citrine gaze upon him. Though he was young, she supposed he wasn't so young as to need supervision, and that she could therefore address him as an adult.

"You will have to wait until I am done, and I have only just started," she said. She wished to correct him, to diminish the need into a want, but Yra must be polite.

With a swift wink, as if to tease him with the fact she'd gotten his prize before him, Yra sidestepped and swiftly relocated to another quiet location in that section. She had left him ample information upon the bookshelf, although none as stylish as that which she took, so she saw nothing holding him back from perusing other material.
Yra
there are no strings on me.

Words: 66902
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 3:32 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Timothy Mered on May 6th, 2015, 12:30 am

Emerald eyes traced after the horned woman as she stepped away from him. His lips thinned to a line. It was clear she had no desire to speak to him. He sighed inwardly, that was a failure.

For the larger part of a chime he simply remained standing near the window sill, eyes never leaving the Ethafael woman. There was something about her that made his eyes stick to her skin. It didn't help that her brass hair was set ablaze in a ray of light. His heart started to flutter in his chest.

The urge to step up to her and improvise swelled up in his chest, but he shoved it back down. A smart boy thought first and acted later, he had to observe, find out how he might swoon her. One solution was obvious; get on his knees and ask her out. Pretty embarassing, would attract far too much attention. The other? Nick a flower somewhere and give it to her. Too standard. What if she hates flowers? None were good options.

Timothy narrowed his eyes. There had to be a way. Of course! Should anyone have bothered to look at the pondering child they would have seen a smug smile flit across his face before he stepped up to the copper-haired woman once again.

“I am sorry Miss but,” he started, his voice noticeably gentler this time. He clasped his hands together as if in prayer and stared up at her with wide, pleading eyes. “I really need that book. Do you know Caelum? He’s the only one I know off like you in town and he send me to fetch that book for him…he said it was very important and that I should get it quick…”

He cocked his head and sent the most sorrowful look he could muster at her. “…Please?”

With a bit of luck she would deny him. Then, he would challenge her to follow him to Caelum's Alements. It would be easy from there. Drinks, a bit of sunshine. This wasn't all that hard after all...
Last edited by Timothy Mered on May 7th, 2015, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Featured Character (1)

Postby Yra on May 6th, 2015, 7:47 am

Yra's surprise at the young one's insistence was a brief flare in the otherwise stagnant colour of her eyes, but when she turned to face him with the book again closed and against her chest, she offered a more sincere smile.

Yra knew Caelum, but evidently this boy did not know that.

She took her initial surprise and used it. Her eyebrows lifted and she eyed him, suddenly interested.

"Caelum sent me for this book," she intoned, repeating the hollow words without his embellishment. That same smile she'd given just before returned, a ghost of its former self. "Unfortunately, we share a task. Unless, of course, you are to mean a different Caelum?" Her words were poking and prodding, testing because she didn't know for certain that he hadn't been sent by Caelum, and though she hadn't come from Alements and hadn't actually been sent for the book. Yra simply doubted Caelum, whom she considered too earthly to worry about deities, would ask a boy to get a book when he had others on hand to do so.

Her fingers only tightened on the book, to guard it against his words. Ideas occured to her. Whether or not Caelum had sent him, and there was a perfectly good reason for the boy to be here for the book, Yra had no intention to give it up so easily, and to a whining child at that. He might notice the slight narrowing of her eyes as the ethaefal thought quickly, but her head ducked and her chin pressed to her collarbone in thought.

"Caelum told me to expect assistance if I did not return in a timely matter. What is your name?" Her lie was delivered with all the grave seriousness as a eulogy compared to his plaintive request. Yra's lies were uncommon and lacking finesse much the way she found his youthful charm too overdone for her taste.
Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Timothy Mered on May 7th, 2015, 2:12 am

It didn’t work. Timothy blinked. It hadn’t worked. He’d become aware of his secret power a little while ago. All it took was a slight widening of the eyes, a hungry look and a smallish, pleading voice and most people he’d tried it on would give him anything he asked for. By the Gods, sometimes he didn’t even need to ask.

Not with her though. This woman was different. Equally stubborn at the very least, and equally secretive. There was a charming beauty to her, an exotic scent lingering around her that was nice to smell. In short; she made his heart beat twice as fast. It was impossible to hate her sweet smile.

Pressing his lips into a line, Timothy cocked his head. “My name is Timothy, I am glad you asked. I live at The Sanc” He blew a stray strand of hair from his forehead, narrow shoulders dropped an inch. “It’s kinda boring there,” he sighed. “I guess you must be pretty bored too to go to a library when it’s nice and sunny outside.” A slight lump was beginning to form in his throat. It wasn’t so much difficult as it was scary. What if she saw through his plans to coerce her into following him?

Taking another step forward, enhancing his height as he stood on the tip of his toes, he stared straight into the young woman’s eyes. She was taller and quite clearly older than himself. But did that matter? She smelled nice, she had nice skin, she had pretty eyes and weird, but kinda cool purple horns. What he wouldn’t give to change places with the book pressed against her chest. Cheeks slightly flushed, Timothy continued. “We can either stand here all day arguing, or we can go to Caelum and find out who’s telling the truth. And if I lied,” he grinned, “I’ll buy you a drink.”

Probably more than one, he hoped dearly.
Timothy Mered
Determined

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Featured Character (1)

Postby Yra on August 6th, 2015, 5:02 am

"I do not find it boring," Yra responded, and she was honest then. "I find myself with ample time throughout my free days. Here I go." She didn't know why she told him this; maybe she thought he cared, but she wouldn't deceive herself into believing so. He was so young still. Children were often distracted?

He was stepping up to her, Yra noted with a slight bit of trepidation. She'd not thought she could coerce him to release his interest in the book she wanted, but for him to take it one step further? In response, the ethaefal leaned back, retreating in a way that might speak of her distaste for the situation.

However, she wouldn't give up her 'ownership' of the book so easily to the challenging youth. She had already invested too much into it that at this point, she thought she might seem cowardly. She was not a coward.

"Fine," said the ethaefal cooly, meeting the challenge again. He wanted to go see Caelum? They would go and meet with Caelum. "Let us leave now, kid," she continued with a note of disdain. "Alements?" She didn't know where else to find the man at the source of their bickering.

Belatedly, she realized the folly in agreeing to this. Caelum would have no idea what was going on, but she hoped he would side with her. She worked for him, after all, and she hoped his relation to the boy was as unfamiliar as their relationship currently was.

In the end, Yra led the way out, but not before returning the book to its shelf. She had no need of it outside the library, and she hoped the youth would take it instead of following her. She could pretend she didn't even notice his absence as she left.
Yra

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes