A Natural Born Hunter... And Kulde [Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Viktor on October 22nd, 2010, 3:14 am

Viktor nodded silently and kept pace with Kulde as they followed the tracks. The wind had picked up a considerably, throwing snow across the path, though not enough to remove the tracks yet. After nearly a chime Viktor came to a dead halt, holding out an arm to stop Kulde from venturing any closer. "I smell blood." He stated in a hushed tone. "I think someone, or something, has beaten us to our prey".

A new smell flooded his nose, one he hadn't smelled in quite some time. "Wolves. We are surrounded, though I can't tell how many". Viktor's hands shot into his pocket, pulling out the gloves with the metal plates and slipping them on. He didn't want to transform unless he absolutely had too, he was low enough on energy as is. He pulled back into a defensive stance. It was similar to fighting against an enemy with a dagger, although much faster, and smaller. Slowly figures appeared from the snow, too large to be normal wolves. "Scratch that, dire wolves. Five of them". This was going to be a hard fight, now doubts about it. "The way I see it, we have two options," The kelvic manbear began, his excitement tangible on his words, "either we wait and hope for an opening to run, or," A wicked smile played across his lips, his predator side begging for a chance to 'play', "we stand and fight." He left the decision up to the hunter, knowing either way, he'd likely wind up shifting back into his bear form.
Memorable quotes (Or, really just quote at the moment, but more will come!)
"She is not fish. She is a person too!"
Viktor
Looks like a grizzly, acts like a teddy bear

Words: 35444
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2010, 10:25 am
Location: Standing behind you. Don't turn around though because I'm in stealth mode.
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kulde on October 23rd, 2010, 1:17 am

Kulde stopped when the big arm came in his path. Looking to the man for a reason to stop them both. Blood. Blood was rarely a good sign. Viktor said what Kulde was thinking. They prey had been killed already. It annoyed Kulde, for he would have loved to repay the bear for the earlier accident. Then, he saw something change on the bear's face and soon he spoke. Wolves. Kulde had always tried to avoid wolves. Which was easy, since they too seemed to avoid him unless they were hungry. Like Viktor suddenly moved to fish something out of his pockets, Kulde pulled his bow over his head so he had a ranged option rather than his spear. Which he stuck into the ground. So he could grab it with ease and use it once the wolves closed the distance, which would be in almost no time. But if he could get one with an arrow before they got too close, then it would be perfect.

"Five..." Okay, getting one still meant that they both would get attacked by at least 2 each. Kulde knew that the polar bear was physically stronger than this lot together, but Kulde also knew that he would be hard pressed fighting just one dire wolf in close range combat. Kulde took an arrow out of his quiver and put it on the string. Trying to determine what wolf should be given that arrow. Wondering if he would have the time to put another arrow on the string before the next wolf would be on top of him.

"I can't outrun a dire wolf, unless we give them a good reason not to follow us." Kulde said. He sort of wished the man would change into a polar bear, that might scare off the wolves. He himself had only dared to go into combat with the dire polar bear because of the distance advantage. Kulde found the closest wolf and pulled the string back. At this range he couldn't possibly miss.

Come on Kulde, aim for something that will either outright kill or injure it enough so you can finish it off later.

One of the few things that could override Kulde's empathy for animals, was in the face of a physical danger like this. He could follow animals for days and try to end their misery, but in a fight like this where his adrenalin was pumping. He just wanted to survive. The closest wolves made the mistake of turning one of its sides to Kulde. Who was quick to let the arrow fly from his bow. Strike the dire wolf right in its ribcage. The arrow went deep. It had probably entered one of the wolf's lungs. Kulde did not waste any time as he drew another arrow from the quiver, put it on the bow and let it fly just as he had aimed the bow at the same wolf. Intending to finish it off before it could jump them. He ignored the pained sounds from the wolf as he unleashed his second arrow. It pierced the wolf close to where the first arrow had struck. Kulde then simply dropped his bow and grabbed his spear. Not wanting to be caught without some sort of melee weapon when the wolves attacked them. He was quick to get the spear down so he was pointing it away from himself, hoping that the polar bear had his back covered. That was at least 180 degrees he didn't have to worry about.
Kulde
The Cold

Words: 20884
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2010, 1:02 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Viktor on October 23rd, 2010, 1:46 am

"The best I could do would be to almost match their speed in my bear form, although I'd only just be able to make it to the city." Viktor responded. They were now standing back to back and It was comforting to know he likely didn't have to worry about anything hitting him from behind. He had gotten the short end of the stick it seemed, with three of the wolves staring him down. He heard the twang of a loosed arrow, followed quickly by another, apparently one of the wolves was already down. The center wolf charged him, apparently seeking revenge for the canine turned pin cushion, leaping at the manbear at the last moment in an attempt to tear out his throat. Fortunately the kelvic was ready, ducking enough to give himself leverage for when he grabbed the underside of the wolf, using most of it's momentum to throw him over the hunters, but not before delivering a wicked blow to the head with the metal backhand of a fist.

He heard a pair of cries as the wolf landed on the other side, one of pain, and another that sounded almost like surprise. It seemed as though he had managed to hit one of the other wolves, although he didn't have the time to check. The remaining pair were taking their time, slinking forward in unison to keep Viktor from using the same trick on them. "I'm going to need new clothes after this." was all he managed to get out as he removed his gloves and tossed them to the ground. Then all that could be heard was the sound of tearing fabric as he reverted to his animal form. The wolves paused, obviously not expecting the man to suddenly change into a polar bear, giving him just enough time to deliver a vicious swipe to the snout of the wolf on the left, then turning and unleashing a terrifying roar to it's partner. They both turned tail and fled, but Viktor knew they would be back... and with the entire pack.
Viktor

Location: Standing behind you. Don't turn around though because I'm in stealth mode.
Character sheet

Postby Kulde on October 23rd, 2010, 2:59 am

Kulde was pretty content with only having to deal with one wolf. Even though it looked very big this close. But he had almost 5 feet of spear between him and it. He hoped the wolf would foolishly jump at him, but he also knew that wolves were smarter than that. He poked out with his spear a couple of times to keep the wolf at bay, but at one of these times, the wolf quickly dodged to one side and made it past the tip of his spear. Kulde let out a small whimper as her tried to hit the wolf in the side with his spear. But of course, such things did little harm against the big wolf. Kulde knew that within a second or so, he would have a large wolf biting down on his head. That would be the end.

Well, if another wolf hadn't come flying through the air and landed on the wolf. Making both wolves tumble away from Kulde. Who for a brief moment stood wondering why he was still alive. Before seizing the moment, thrusting his spear into the nearest of the wolves. The tip of the spear easily piercing the skin of the wolf. Kulde stepped in, putting most of his weight behind forcing the spear through the wolf. He pulled in the spear once, finding it stuck in the wolf. Kulde stepped back and drew his dagger. Knowing that he wasn't going to do much with that dagger. But it was better than rolling over and die. But something made the wolf back away from Kulde. It was injured, from being thrown like that, but such a small injury shouldn't stop the wolf from attacking him. Then Kulde heard the roar from behind, stumbled forward out of shock. Before regaining his balance and just stared hard at the wolf. Before it ran away too. Kulde was amazed. He had killed two dire wolves. With help from a dire polar bear, but still. He was alive.

"I hope you don't mind wolf meat..." Kulde said moving over to the wolf he had impaled with the spear. He let his dagger sink into the wolf's throat and cut it out. Making sure the wolf was completely dead. He stepped away from it and turned to the polar bear. Hoping he hadn't gone feral.
Kulde
The Cold

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Viktor on October 24th, 2010, 8:48 am

As the three surviving wolves fled, Viktor turned to the two that had been killed. Whether or not he heard Kulde's question didn't matter for within seconds of the weapons being removed from the last wolf to fall, he was upon it, tearing away huge chunks of flesh with his jaws. By the time he was done, his snout was dyed a deep crimson, and the bones nearly picked clean. He considered doing the same with the other wolf, but he was nearly full from the first, and the skin was still intact, aside from a pair of arrows jutting from the ribcage, and the meat could make quite a few meals for people of less voracious appetites.

He rubbed his snout into the snow in an effort to clean himself off, and it half worked, although he would need soap and water to get out the rest. He tromped over to where he had thrown his gloves and picked them up in his mouth, being careful not to puncture them. He then turned to Kulde, first motioning towards the untouched wolf, then laying down to allow the hunter to more easily load it onto him. He was eager to return to the city, both because he had been out for some time, and because he didn't want to run the risk of being ambushed again.
Viktor

Character sheet

Postby Kulde on October 27th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Kulde was quick to step away from the dire polar bear as it went savage on the wolf. Watching a bit in horror as the majestic creature began to tear flesh from the wolf. Kulde had seen predators eat before, but never this close... And never a polar bear. It was a gruesome sight and Kulde took several steps more back. Not wanting to be too close to the polar bear in case it just decided to continue munching on him. He watched as the bear stuck its nose into the snow. Probably to clean off the blood. Still. Gruesome sight to watch. A bear that large with its snout bloodied. Kulde decided to walk by the big bear over to the second wolf with the two arrows sticking out of it, he reached down and grabbed the arrows and slowly took them out of the wolf. He wasn't going to lose anymore arrows to nature.

He tried his best not to ruin anymore of the pelt. It could fetch a good price in the city. He looked to the bear that walked in his direction. Kulde felt a shiver go down his spine. It was hard getting used to such a lumbering beast walking towards you, without your first reaction being to get far far away from there. The bear motioned for him to get the wolf up on its back. Kulde stuck the tip of his spear into the ground and began to wrestle with the wolf and drag and push and what not, to get it up on the large bear's back.

"Let's get out of here before they come back."

Kulde didn't find it silly to talk to a bear, he had talked to many animals, even those that wasn't a Kelvic. It was quite normal in his hold. It was a bit harder to get used to have the beast walking right next to him. Kulde grabbed his spear and pulled it out of the snow. The wolf was secure on the back of the bear and was sure the beast-man-thing would make a grunt or roar or something if it was falling off.

"Did that settle your hunger?" Kulde said looking to the other wolf's corpse, or what remained of it. Nothing there he felt like salvaging. He didn't have the time either, those wolfs might come back with the rest of the pack. He began to walk in the direction of Avanthal.
Kulde
The Cold

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Viktor on October 29th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Viktor shrugged a little, adjusting the wolf on his back, then trudged alongside Kulde, nodding an affirmative to the question regarding his hunger. The wolf was a little stringier than he would have liked, but food was food. After a meal like that, he would be changing back for a while, not that he cared. It was a pleasant change not hunting alone, and not hunting by sitting next to a hole for Morwen knows how long.

It wouldn't be long before they were walking through the gates of Avanthal, but already he was feeling tired. He would bring the wolf wherever Kulde watned it, but after that it would a bee line to his room in the barracks with little more than a grunted farewell. He would have stayed longer had he actually been able to speak, a compliment on his skills with a bow, maybe an offer to go hunting again some time. Once he had gotten some sleep, he would track Kulde down again, but for now sleep was at the top of his list of priorities.
Viktor

Character sheet

Postby Cheshire on November 6th, 2010, 12:56 am

Character: Viktor
Experience: Stealth +1, Tracking +3, Intimidation +2, Strategy +2, Running +1, Negotiation +1, Hunting +2, Unarmed Combat +2
Lore: Taking a Deadly Chance, Faking Injury to Win Altercations, Making Friends With Someone Who You Were Formerly Trying to Kill

Character: Kulde
Experience: Tracking +2, Archery +4, Spear +1, Negotiation +1, Wilderness Survival +1, Hunting +2, Mathematics +2
Lore: Having a Conversation With of a Questionable Wild Animal, Seeing Beauty in Cayiha's Creatures, Hunting Using the Aid of Poop

Additional Note: I loved this thread something fierce! I was a great balance of humor and seriousness. You guys seem like a good team. I am looking forward to seeing more from you guys (if you want)! PM me with any concerns.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Previous