Closed [Alements] Homesick and Heartsick (Caelum)

Orin visits Alements in the hopes of grounding himself

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Alements] Homesick and Heartsick (Caelum)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 5th, 2015, 5:08 pm

43rd of Summer, 515AV

Riverfall was quite unlike anything Orin had ever encountered before. When the ship had approached from the distance it had elicited a gasp of awe from Orin. The city towered over the countryside and the sea, like some proud creature perched on the edge of the cliff and surveying its domain. The awe got stronger as the ship grew closer and closer, and details of the city itself became clearer. The impression of majesty didn’t decrease in the slightest. But the city was also beautiful, about as far from the enclosed and oppressing atmosphere of Syliras as it was possible to get. The domes of the buildings sparkled in the sunlight. The air was perfumed with scents both savory and sweet, a mix of herbs and flowers that permeated the entire city. Everywhere was a riot of color and life. The gray walls of Stormhold were drab and dead compared to the gardens of Riverfall. Orin recalled what Jeremy had said about the city, that it was much less urban and much closer to nature. Orin was inclined to agree with the Kelvic’s assessment, but it wasn’t wild. Quite the opposite in fact. Everything seemed to be chosen with utmost care to show of the city to its best effect. As the ship had sailed into port Orin’s jaw had dropped until a passing sailor warned him he was likely to swallow a fly that way.

But Orin’s eyes darted everywhere, trying to take in everything at once. It seemed like a mirage or a dream. Orin had spent his entire life other than the short amount of time he’d been on board the ship in Mithryn and Syliras. Stepping into Riverfall was like entering another world entirely. Fountains abounded and the buildings were covered in fanciful geometric designs that caught the eye and forced it to follow their curves and lines. There was almost a tangible pulse, a heartbeat, to the city that caught Orin up and swept him along. The people were dressed in a variety of loose-fitting garments in mostly earth-tones that were guaranteed to grab every passing breeze. However, there were just as many people wearing working leathers, and many of them were garbed in either leather aprons or had leather armbands. And there were Akalaks everywhere. Orin had seen only a few Akalaks in Syliras, and of those, he only really knew Aren well. So the sight of the tall proud visages striding around was intimidating. The vast majority of them were blue-skinned but some of them were purple or even dark green and red. Women were clearly in the minority, and seemed to draw attention as they passed. It combined into one mysterious whole. If Orin had one complaint, it would be the demanding sun that beat down. Heat hazes were everywhere and sweat prickled Orin’s brow. His own clothes were starting to soak through, and Orin realized that it would probably be best to get out of public. It was overwhelming, and Orin noticed he was starting to draw looks from passerbys that, while not harsh, weren’t exactly friendly either.

Orin picked a direction at random. The buildings didn’t seem to have any of the clear indicators as to which business might be housed within, so Orin was forced to make a circuit of the area around the docks. He was leery of going too far away from the docks. If Riverfall was anything like Syliras, which so far it wasn’t, it probably turned into a maze once people exited the main areas. So he planned to keep the ship or at least the docks in full view at all times. Orin started trying doors at random. Most of the people inside gave Orin odd looks when he poked his head in then immediately retreated. He wasn’t sure what exactly he was searching for. He just had this odd sense that he’d know it when he found it. Finally, Orin jerked a door open and was greeted by a sight that was so familiar his heart clenched a little. Despite the different architecture and layout, this was clearly a tavern. And at that point Orin realized what he’d been missing. Cooking on board the ship was limited. And Orin had been craving access to a real kitchen, one where he could cook to his heart’s desire. If this tavern was anything like The Rearing Stallion it would have everything Orin could ever want. Beyond that, Orin needed to ground himself in the familiar. After so many changes in such a short amount of time Orin felt that he needed to get back to his roots, or he might lose himself.

Orin stepped off the patio with its tables that looked out over the water and into the tavern proper. The wooden doors closed behind him and Orin’s eyes took a moment to adjust to the slightly dimmer interior. The stone floor was mostly covered with rugs of various colors and designs. On the far wall was a bar, with a polished copper sheet lining the wall itself. The bar curved and was topped with a white and gold marble. There was a woman there who glanced at Orin as he stood there. Herbs scented the air, and as Orin scanned the interior he could see them scattered about. Some Orin recognized, some he didn’t. All in all, the bar made an impressive sight. And yet, for all that there was a quality to it that Orin knew well. In some fundamental way, all taverns were the same, despite differences in appearance. They all served the same purpose and Orin was sure that once he got past the surface here it would function essentially the same as The Rearing Stallion. Of course, Orin wouldn’t know that for certain until he actually explored here.

He took another step in, and the woman at the bar came out with a bright grin. Her hair was so dark it seemed black and was startlingly contrasted by her almost indigo eyes. She wore a simple dress with an apron. Obviously she was barmaid and bartender both. ”Hello there and welcome to Alements! My name is Elise and I’ll be serving you today. What can I get for you?” Orin hesitated, unsure how to proceed. He knew how Rondo and Remi would react to some complete stranger coming into their tavern and demanding to use their kitchen supplies. So Orin would be as polite as possible, but also try and be firm. It was hard for him though, in such a strange place, to assert himself but he had to try. ”Actually, I’d appreciate it if I could talk to the owner Are they around somewhere?” Elise gave Orin a pointed look that he couldn’t decipher, but gestured for him to follow her all the same. Orin stepped gingerly into the hallway near the bar, and through a set of doors. Elise took a few steps before opening a door. ”Caelum, you have a visitor.” She held the door open for Orin and grinned. ”He’s just inside. I’ll be in the front if you need me.”

Orin stepped into the backroom and nearly gasped. There were what appeared to be infirmary beds lining the wall but that wasn’t what surprised him. The man inside was clearly not human. He was an Ethaefal, evidenced by the shimmering horns that seemed to shift between a pale ivory and a light gold. His hair was auburn also streaked with gold and there was something infinitely appealing about his features. Orin knew that Ethaefal’s were supposed to possess an otherworldly beauty but Caelum seemed to take it one step further. Orin’s breath caught in his throat and it took him a moment to remember why he came here. ”Ah, hello, Caelum is it? I have a sort of a strange request.” Orin ran a hand through his hair in a nervous tic. Everything about Riverfall seemed to be throwing Orin for a loop and Orin really needed some time to process it all. Still, he was here now and Orin really didn’t want to leave this place empty handed. ”M’name’s Orin Fenix, and I’m a humble traveler from Syliras. I’m, a, well I’m a cook and I just was wondering if I could...borrow your kitchen for the day.” Orin risked a small smile, unsure whether or not he was making a good impression. With his luck, though, Caelum probably thought he was slightly off in the head. ”I know you really don’t have any reason to trust me but I miss having a full kitchen to work with.” Orin held out his hands helplessly. It wasn’t the strongest case Orin had made but hopefully his sincerity would shine through. And with each passing tick Orin found himself missing the comfortable life he’d had in Syliras. So much was different in the wide world and even though Orin had thought he had wanted to see it, it seemed that he was unprepared for the realities of what that meant. So Orin needed to cook, to steady himself, and to remind himself why he was out here exploring. Heart thumping wildly in his chest, Orin held his breath as he waited for Caelum’s reply.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Caelum on June 6th, 2015, 11:14 pm

The mockingbird was singing in his head as Caelum rolled the beeswax between his hands. It was well over a year ago that he had discovered the injured bird, storm swept from its perch and broken on the ground. An entire night had been spent with creature, attempting to save it, and finally just keeping it comfortable until it died of heartbreak with the dawn. That had been a bad morning despite so small a loss, so mundane and ordinary. It had seemed to signify a greater grief, far larger than the abbreviated wingspan of a sweet little songbird.

Sunlight poured softly through the bubbled glass window, illuminating the pale grey stone that made up his counters, cabinets, and walls. The beds were all made with fresh white linens and blankets dyed the color of grasslands in spring. It clean and quiet and bright, the only shadow the one that hung over joy’s own scion. He was using his vast knowledge in the science of herbalism and applying it to his comparably meager know-how in the art of philtering in order to make a fresh batch of healing lip balm. He had collected a measure of filtered beeswax from Kavala's stores at the Sanctuary and collected the heads of prim roses from his own garden that he stripped the petals from and had left to dry for three days on the window sill. These petals he now crumbled into his granite mortar bowl in a single, large handful. Next into the bowl went fresh mint leaves at one half the amount of the primrose petals. To this he added a few drops of benzoin tincture he had made earlier in the season from the bark of the stryax trees and began to crush it all together with the pestle. The fresh, layered scent of rose and benzoin vanilla was cut by the sharper aroma of mint, creating a light, pleasant smell.

The physician was still reducing the mixture to a fine paste when the green eyed stranger walked into his infirmary. Strangers were not unusual, not in a public tavern set on the edge of a large port; but they were most often after drink, information, or healing. Sometimes it was gambling or warm, welcoming arms. People came to Alements for a great many predictable reasons, but of them were those who came looking for Caelum, and the motivations and ambitions behind that crowd were far less mundane. The ethaefal was trying to decide where this particular young man fit in when he finally found his voice to speak.

"What do you want to cook?" Not why do you want to cook or for whom do you want to cook, but what. Caelum already knew why this Orin Fenix, humble traveler from the Walled City, wanted to cook. The quiet stir of Nikali's chains told him tales of homesickness and unmooring, things with which the ethaefal was entirely too accustomed. Compassion sighed through him and he set aside the mortar bowl to unravel to his feet.

"I have some food stuffs, but not a great deal or in much variety," he went on to explain while flattening the ball of beeswax to the clean surface of his desk. "I don't have a full time cook on staff so offer very limited menu options in that regard." Though he spoke the Common tongue, fluent and free, his accent suggesting far flung horizons and the understanding of celestial shapes otherwise unfathomable -- alien. "Though I suppose it's no great thing to make a quick run down to the market, pick up some things."

Taking a flat wooden depressor from a drawer, he proceeded to scrap the rose petal, mint, and benzoin tincture out of the mortar and into the indention he had made in the center of the wax. Daylit eyes on this, he tilted his head toward the row of cabinets and shining glass jars lining the far wall.

"Hand me the stack of tins at the end of the counter there, would you? Orin, right?" He glanced, quick and accessing, to gulp the traveler up and begin to mentally pick apart his details. Dark hair, young face, average wear. Not hungry. Unbroken. Bold, but apologetic. A map of character was gently laid against the backdrop of Orin's desires, lit in hearthfire orange for reconnection, and set the emptied mortar bowl aside.

"Do you happen to know anything about nutrition? Specifically for the fragile and ailing."

He was going to allow Orin access to his kitchen. That was a given, really, but it would not necessarily be for free.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on June 7th, 2015, 2:15 am

The sharp scent of mint lingered in the air. Orin rarely used it, since it tended to overwhelm the rather bland foods that were served in the tavern. And on the ship Orin simply couldn’t cook anything at all fancy. Biscuits and whatever he could scrounge together in the small and incredibly secure oven had been the fare since he and his companions departed Syliras. It was barely subsistence food and likely part of the reason Orin’s hands were practically itching to get down to work. The other aromas were too faint to make out clearly. Even if Orin could’ve smelled them, the chances of him identifying them were low. Obviously this was the home of a doctor, and Orin would’ve bet quite a bit of money that the herbs Caelum was working with were for medicinal purposes. Which meant that he was much more unlikely to know them as well as if they had been culinary herbs. That wasn’t to say that the plants Orin used to spice his cooking didn’t have healing properties as well, since many of them did. Orin just wasn’t aware.

The man’s hands were hard at work grinding whatever he was working on in a mortar and pestle. Orin smiled, remembering the hours he’d spent creating spices and sauces of all kinds. He nodded towards the work station. ”What’ve you got there. Anything I might be able to help with?” Orin might not know the first thing about medicines, but he had steady hands and a willing work ethic. He’d do pretty much any job for the kitchen as long as it wasn’t too nefarious and didn’t compromise his morals. However, the sense he’d been getting from Riverfall wasn’t exactly one of debauchery and lawlessness. It was too pristine and well kept for that. And if the other Akalaks were anything like Aren, they were honorable to a fault. In fact they were so stuck up and always made the correct decision, to the point that even Orin, who wasn’t exactly a wild child, felt it went too far. Even if it was just Aren taking his upbringing too far, Orin found the mercenary insufferable and would likely have a similar reaction to any Akalak he encountered. Of course, they may very well be a fun-loving people. He’d just have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Still the man with him now was most definitely not an Akalak. Caelum finally spoke, asking a rather peculiar question, but apparently he was willing to let Orin use the kitchen. The man’s voice was as exotic and mysterious as his appearance. Orin couldn’t determine whether it was because Caelum hailed from Riverfall or something to do with being an Ethaefal. As far as Orin knew it could just be something unique to the man himself. It was actually quite pleasant to listen to. Everything about Caelum had a subtle appeal to it, from his appearance to his gestures and now to his words. However Orin wasn’t the sort to be taken in by a pretty face. Most of the bullies he grew up with disguised their activities with their cherubic exteriors and Orin had quickly learned that beauty on the outside could easily be used to hide darkness within. So despite the fact that his heart was urging him to trust Caelum and his seemingly genuine offer, Orin’s mind was warning him to be cautious.

Orin pondered Caelum’s question for a moment. Truth be told, he wasn’t sure what he wanted to cook. Absentmindedly he responded to Caelum’s second set of statements. ”I hope we won’t have to go purchase anything. I should be able to make do as long as you’ve got something in stock.” Then his mind gently nudged him and he focused back on Caelum. ”Wait, what do you mean you don’t have a full time cook on staff? This is a tavern right? Shouldn’t you serve, well meals.” Suddenly Orin realized how that might sound to his host, who also happened to own the tavern and presumably made business decision such as not to have a full time cook on board, and he clamped his hands to his mouth. Blushing furiously Orin dropped them so he could immediately stammer out an apology. ”I’m sorry sir I didn’t mean any disrespect. It’s just, well, you know sometimes my tongue gets away from me and I speak without thinking it fully though beforehand and it’s bad.” Recognizing that he was babbling Orin forcibly stemmed the tide of words. It was a very nearly physical effort. As first impressions went this wasn’t one of Orin’s best. Sadly though, it also wasn’t even close to being one of Orin’s worst. Maybe it was still salvageable.

Clearing his throat, Orin linked his fingers together and squeezed in an attempt to relieve some of his stress. Meeting new people was nerve-racking but it was also a necessarily evil. ”Anyway to answer your first question I’d like to cook something new. I know that might not be as helpful a response as possible but it’s true. Are there any cookbooks I could look at? Or maybe there’s a local delicacy you know of?” Orin bit his lip, but continued with his final suggestion. ”Or do you have a favorite dish that you haven’t had in a while I could make? You see, I’ve only lived in one place and I’ve kind of made it well, well, my quest I guess you would say or I would say even if it’s silly, to discover as many different types of food as I can.” Orin shrugged, now embarrassed on top of his anxiety. He hadn’t managed to go into quite that much detail, but it had just spilled out of him. Some people wanted to be famous heroes, great warriors, or powerful magicians. In comparison, Orin’s goals were simple and frankly laughable. Still, they were his goals and he was determined to pursue them to the best of his abilities.

Stepping cautiously, Orin picked up the tins that Caelum indicated. He didn’t want to disturb anything. This place seemed very much like a private sanctum of sorts. Of course, it was also an infirmary so Caelum likely had patients. Still, if the man was anything like Orin himself, he probably felt similarly to the way Orin did in his kitchen. Of course, Orin no longer had a real kitchen, simply a sandbox and a pot on board a ship. Once again Orin felt himself filled with such an intense longing for Syliras that he almost dropped the tins. Hastily, he handed them over to the Ethaefal, not wanting to ruin whatever tincture was being made. His homesickness hadn’t been nearly as bad aboard the ship. Perhaps because they were always in motion, and Orin had known that it was simply a temporary measure until they made landfall. He had no intentions on spending the rest of his life sailing the seas. This though, was the sort of adventure Orin had dreamed about. Now that it was here, instead of being caught up in the excitement of it all Orin could do was remember how everything was back where he’d grown up. He was actually even missing Mithryn Outpost and his experiences there had been far from pleasant. Still, seeing the alien side by side with objects that could’ve been at home anywhere in Syliras was just too much right now. He needed the release of tears but was too proud to let himself go in public. Besides compared to some of the suffering Orin had been through in his life, this was negligible, and it wasn’t even a physical source. So like all his emotional ills, Orin rolled it up and stuffed it away to be dealt with later. He would work through it in private, when and where he had the time.

Orin took a deep steadying breath, and just in time. Caelum’s last inquiry was just as unusual as everything else about the man. Orin narrowed his eyes. He’d been expecting some sort of catch, and would normally be quite happy to impart his cooking knowledge. He’d even been known to give it away for free to his many friends and a few of his acquaintances. This though, was oddly specific. Glancing around the room, Orin gave himself a few ticks to collect his thoughts. ”I do. Actually, I might happen to know quite a bit on that subject.” Orin paused, knowing he could leave it there, but wanting to say more. He could place his finger about it, but something about Caelum’s voice had grabbed Orin’s attention. It would be quite natural for a physician to want to know about feeding the sick, but there had been something else there, behind the casual words. Orin didn’t know what it was, but if there was anything bothering Caelum, he wanted to know what it was and how he could help. It was the least he could do if Caelum gave Orin access to his kitchen. ”May I ask why? And can you maybe be a bit more specific as to what you’d need to know?” Orin tried to keep his tone casual, but some of his mix of worry and concern for why Caelum might need the information likely bled through. Which might be all to the better.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Caelum on July 6th, 2015, 10:37 pm

"It's a lip balm," Caelum explained when Orin set the tins down on his desk as asked. Setting the heavy pestle aside, long fingers began the work of folding the wax over the herbal paste at its center. It was not unlike folding butter into flour to create a dough for biscuits or pie or any number of things. The ethaefal did not know it, though, because he understood so very little about cooking beyond the bare basics. "It will protect and heal chapped and blistered lips. It's good for sailors who spend a great deal of time out in the salt wind and sun."

Considering Orin for a moment, he ret urned his regard to the task at hand and pushed the warmed wax firmly down with the heel of his palm. The twins gnosis of Rak'keli coiled as a serpent against the back of his hands, wrists, and forearms flared with a soft gold light as he focused the Dark Sister's grace into the tincture. He did not know if it would work, never having tried before to translate any of his divine abilities without the use of glyphing. His intent was merely to purify, though he had of course already taken all of the common steps to achieve that end. When he felt the power fail to take root, he grimaced to himself and then moved on. He would try again, in a new way, on a new thing.

"You're welcome to some of it when you go," he went on to say. "It might do you and your fellows some good. A cook? Oh." A chuckle caught in his throat and he shook his head while continuing to knead the herbal mixture into the wax. "Yes and no. I didn't open with a full time cook. Just sort of a fruit and cheese plate option? I can't cook to save my life, and while Elise is capable her greatest talents are elsewhere. Not to mention her interests. I've tried to expand to a full menu a few times, but no one's really stuck. There's Artur. He's wonderful and it's my hope that he'll decide to stay on. Today's his day off, though, so the kitchen is yours if you want it."

Satisfied with the consistency of what Caelum could safely call a balm finally, he pressed the wax flat and reached for a razor-edged scalpal. This he used to slice the wax into roughly measured sections, each cut swift and steady. Trading the scalpal out for a wooden depressor, he reached for one of the empty tins Orin had brought over and began to mold it into place inside.

"I don't have any cookbooks," came the confession. Half of him was listening to Orin's internal desires, and when he felt the need for tears, for the release that crying could bring, he withdrew. It was worry, but it was also fear. He cleared his throat, a lump rising as his eyes lowered again to his work. He capped the first tin of lip balm and began to fill the next. "Nor do I know a whole lot about any local delicacies. If I can't fish it up or shoot it down and put it over a fire, then I'm lost. But it's good you know about nutrition. Honestly, I could use some help."

The traveling cook could not possibly know how difficult and rare it was for the doctor to admit that. Maybe some of it colored the air, shifted the tone. He was not exactly awkward, but he wasn't so easy or seemingly laid back when he continued. There were secrets here, and harder, darker things stumbled on by accident. "I have a patient who's comatose. That means he's unconscious and unresponsive. He's alive, and I fully intend to keep him that way, but despite my best efforts I can't wake him up. That's.. Well. I will. I'll figure it out. But in the meantime even sweet Rak'keli's favor can't do everything. I need to get as much actual nutrition into him as I can, but he can't chew or even swallow on his own. Do you have any ideas?"

A freshly filled tin was set down and old eyes found Orin again, holding there. "Please. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated."
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on September 2nd, 2015, 1:48 am

Watching Caelum’s skilled and dexterous fingers working on his medicine, the lip balm, was practically mesmerizing. As he stepped back from the table where the Ethaefal was working, Orin made a mental note to tell his companions about the balm, assuming they didn’t know it already. After all, professional sailors likely already knew tricks to keep themselves healthy. Orin’s fingers twitched as he followed the motions of the other man. Though he didn’t know for sure, the preparations for this particular salve seemed similar to the ways in which Orin might start a dish. He would never have imagined that the skills of a cook were potentially transferable to those of a doctor, and he wouldn’t even think to try it without supervision. After all, ruining a dish was a whole different situation from messing up something that could save someone’s life. Still, picking up more skills in the realm of healing might not be a bad idea. Tentatively, not sure if the overture would be welcome, especially in light of the rest of Orin’s demands, he nodded at the work station. Do you… Orin swallowed his suddenly dry throat, ”do you need any help with that?”

He was distracted by a flare of light that was similar to the color of Caelum’s horns and hair, coming from the other man’s arms. Noticing for the first time the markings visible, Orin leaned away, unsure what he had just witnessed. Although he hadn’t had much exposure to magic, he’d seen enough to know that whatever had just happened wasn’t natural in the slightest. Still, though he had a healthy respect for the arcane and all that it could do, he wasn’t nearly as afraid of it as some of his peers. He was more of the persuasion that the more he understood of it, the better he could defend himself if needed. And interactions with mages had proven that they were all people, albeit more fallible and powerful than others. Putting his hands on his hips, conveniently near the daggers there, he narrowed his eyes at Caelum. ”What, exactly, did you just do?” He’d never seen anyone perform magic quite like that, and it had no visible effect as far as he could tell. That didn’t mean it hadn’t done anything, though. So Orin was going to proceed cautiously from here on out.

Seeing as Caelum had just been practicing magic over it, he wasn’t sure that he wanted it anymore, but Orin wasn’t one to turn down a free gift. And as he licked his lips surreptitiously, they did feel cracked and raw. So he nodded carefully, guarded. ”That’s very kind of you, and I’m sure the crew will appreciate it. Thank you.” And if Orin waited until he saw some of the sailors using the balm before trying it out himself, well, Caelum didn’t need to know that.

Orin pondered his words. Somehow it felt strange to him to have a tavern that didn’t serve food of any kind. Of course, the primary purpose was to provide drinks of all sorts, but every other tavern he’d come into contact with served food almost as a necessity. So hearing that Caelum’s establishment broke from this model was frankly shocking. Hearing that particular set of news made Orin a little careless with his speech, as he was still considering the implications. ”Well, I hope this Artur fellow works out for you. If not, I’ll stop by if I’m ever in the city again and see if you’re hiring perhaps, because really, I think this place would benefit from a full time chef.” Running his hands through his hair, Orin looked over the back room. He wasn’t sure if this was a doctor’s office first or a tavern second, or the opposite and he placed it in the back of his mind where he kept his plans for opening his own business one day. ”I can make a few suggestions for easy to prepare dishes or things you could order premade to add to the menu. Or just teach you or Elise. I promise, it’s not that difficult.” At least, it wasn’t for Orin, though he reminded himself that not everyone had his level of expertise. He watched idly as Caelum started working on what was apparently the next phase of creating the balm. It involved cutting the now wax wrapped salve, cutting it, pressing it and inserting it into the tins. Anyone with this level of control should have no issue with basic dishes. Idly, Orin wondered how old Caelum was, to be this skilled. He really didn’t know anything about Ethaefals, so he had no way of judging the other man’s age.

Drumming his fingers on the table, Orin was watching Caelum’s reactions closely, trying to determine what the so far inscrutable man was feeling. Not having any knowledge of the Ethaefal and being bad at reading facial expressions to begin with meant Orin had little chance of actually figuring anything out, but it was always worth a shot. The admission that there were no cookbooks wasn’t surprising and Orin met it with a shrug. Getting his hands on a cookbook wasn’t something that happened often. Perhaps he should write one of his own, so the knowledge he’d accumulated so far wasn’t lost. Still, that was a project for another day. However, listening to Caelum’s explanation of his lack of experience with local cuisine was a bit of a shock. Orin didn’t have much time to process it before Caelum finally came out and said that he needed Orin’s help. ”As long as it’s within my power to provide, it seems a fair trade for the use of your kitchen. To me at least.” Orin’s mouth quirked in a grin that contained more than a trace of self-mockery. ”I recognize that not everyone would agree with my assessment.” However, Orin was tentative, still not entirely sure why a doctor of all people would need Orin’s opinion on nutrition.

Something almost imperceptible changed and Orin found himself holding his breath as Caelum finally came out with the reason he might need Orin’s aid. As eyes that were far too old for the youthful face came to rest, Orin nodded once, sharply, but firmly. ”Absolutely. Of course. However, I must warn you, most of what I’ve been told is for babies, although I’ve been assured that the method of feeding them other than milk is essentially the same.” Rubbing his hands together thoughtfully, Orin tacked on a quick addition to his words. ”Of course, if this person is…comatose you said? Comatose, then we might have a slight problem.”

Orin didn’t know if admitting that was the best way to start but he wanted all his cards on the table, so to speak. ”I can tell you foods you can prepare that he won’t have to chew but honestly, how to get him down his throat isn’t something I’ve experimented with.” Biting his lip, Orin furiously tried to dredge up something useful from his brain. ”I have some vague memory of Ser Kevith—that’s my old boss, you don’t need to worry about him—pinching an unconscious and very drunk patron’s nose to get water in him but I wasn’t there and I have no idea if it was successful.” Holding his hands out in a silent apology Orin tried to convey that he was sorry he couldn’t be more helpful in that regard, but wasn’t sure how well it came through. ”For the rest of my knowledge, it probably would be best to move on to the kitchen while you’re finishing up here.”

Curiosity had always been getting Orin into trouble and this was no exception. ”This unconscious, sorry, comatose person,” and he fixed that word firmly into his memory, ”this man, do you know what caused his condition?” Pausing for a response, Orin formulated his next questions in his mind. ”How long has he been like this? I don’t know if it will make any difference in what I tell you, but it might. Have you been able to get anything in him at all? And, on an unrelated note, Rak’keli is the healing goddess, yeah?” To forestall Caelum’s likely response to his ignorance, Orin quickly defended himself. ”You don’t get a lot of sick people in a kitchen, or, at least you don’t in my kitchen!” He chuckled, which he realized might have been entirely inappropriate under the circumstances, and let it die away.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Shaqira on July 11th, 2017, 7:05 am

G R A D E

O R I N

Click :
xp

Rhetoric +2
Persuasion +1
Intelligence +2
Endurance +1
Investigation +1
Interrogation +1

lores

Riverfall: An exotic city of stone & tended gardens
Investigation: By trial & error
Tactics: Judging an approach by thinking of how familiar friends would react
Ethaefal: Horned race of Leth & Syna
Ethaefal: Otherworldly beauty
Persuasion: Being sincere
Cooking: Mint overpowers plainer foods
Intelligence: Guesstimating other’s expertise from their profession
Akalak: Honorable to a fault
Beauty does not always herald a kind soul
Putting your foot in it!
Meeting strangers is a necessary evil
Orin’s Quest: Discover as many new foods as he can
Orin: Determined & wholehearted
Orin: Homesick for the familiar
Interrogation: Asking for specifics
Medicine: ‘Comatose’ is a state of unconsciousness
Rak’Keli: Goddess of healing & health
Herbalism: Lip balm protects & heals cracked & blistered lips
Intelligence: Gleaning information from facial expressions
Medicine: Hold a patient’s nose to encourage swallowing

C A E L U M

Click :
If you return to Mizahar send me a PM or re-submit this thread to the grade requests for your grades!

Shaqira
Player

Words: 12197
Joined roleplay: March 28th, 2017, 8:42 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Plotnotes