Why Did It Have To Be Bears? (Thaloyss)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Richard Blow on June 13th, 2015, 6:07 am

3rd of Summer, 515AV

"A'ight, so the guy's name is Jacko Quombi." Richard shouted over the din of the Seaside Market as he weighed a blackjack in his hand. Behind him, a fat man got thrown into the mud and brine with a dull splash by a pair of angry-looking women- one blonde, one aggressively ginger- wielding chains. His screams for help fell on deaf ears. "Nasty fella with a mean temper and, judging by Tavish's book, a thing for dogs and watching them do nasty shyke."

The Spiritist grimaced as he handed the blackjack back to the grumpy, one-eyed, bearded and besmocked bear of a stallkeeper and put on a brass knuckle. The stall itself was a veritable cornucopia of violence aids. "Y'know, I've heard of people being into some petched up shyke, but this guy just might take the cake." Mere feet away, the fat guy got his fingers caught in blondie's chain links while ginger punched him in the stomach with hers wrapped around her fists. A couple ticks later, his fingers broke with a snap. A pair of dark-skinned lovers stepped gingerly around the tussle, murmuring sweetly to each other with their arms around each others' waists.

"Judging by the number of animals he's gotta buy to maintain his habit, I'd say he's been to Killroy's kennel at least once." Richard said with a thoughtful nod and a swing of his fist while ginger wrapped her chains around the man's neck. "Which is in the Den, which means we gotta arm up if we don't want to get petched up."

Turning to Thaloyss, Richard's gaze shifted to the now blue-faced man, and the rusty weapons he was being murdered with. "Huh. That's handy."

"Hey, think I can have those when you're done with 'em?" he asked the women.
The blond stopped her assault on the man's torso and sat down on his lap facing Richard. She chewed her lip for a moment, then said "Five coppers and they're yours."

The Spiritist flicked over the appropriate amount, set the brass knuckles on the counter of the weapons stall, and received his bloody tools. Turning back to Thaloyss with a smile while the girls started dragging their victim's corpse off, he asked "When do we get started?"
Richard Blow
Really More of a Ghostwrangler

Words: 51021
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2013, 1:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Thaloyss on June 13th, 2015, 7:23 am

Jacko Quombi. What a peculiar name.

Richard had taken a peek at the files they'd stolen from Tavish a while back, and boy were the men inside a right mess. Thaloyss hadn't gotten a good look, but from her friend's reaction she could tell they weren't the best sort of people to hang around with. The first one especially, since he apparently had a beastiality fetish of sorts.

She'd left her kopis (and Tascha) at home, finding no use for either of them if she was simply going to strangle the bastard. "Take the cake? Oh, you mean he iss the nasstiesst of them all," she said. She was beginning to get used to Richard's strange phrases and his slang, even using some herself despite how out-of-place it seemed.

The Dhani turned to watch the grisly spectacle consisting of two women beating -- choking or torturing would be a better word -- a man to death. The use of chains was interesting. She'd never thought of that before, but the metal links proved to be painful and fatal in the end.

"When do we sstart? When I finissh looking for a weapon, though I do not ssee one ssuitable to my tasstess here. I would rather usse my handss and my handss alone, or my fangss if they try to get away. I do not undersstand why I cannot ssimply usse my natural giftss when we are sseeing ssuch a desspicable man," she pointed out.

While she knew the reason, she still failed to understand why Richard was so against her race being known. Surely it would give them a political edge in the city, perhaps even a spot in a gang? A man-eater who could turn into a twenty-foot snake-human hybrid was certainly scary, if not downright pants-shyking terrifying.

The mercenary shrugged and set down the garrote she was holding and picked up a club. Hard-hitting, but it didn't appeal to her. None of the weapons did. It was so much more convenient to strip and shift rather than haul around weaponry.

"I am not buying anything here, Richard. Let uss go," she said, spinning on a heel and using her imposing height (and elbows) to clear a path through the crowd. Richard had finished his transactions and he was quick enough to follow her before the opening collapsed in on itself.

The Den wasn't particularly the safest place for a Dhani, considering it was practically run by a half-blood Myrian, but she thanked Siku that the savage rarely showed her face. Killroy would've been the exact opposite if it weren't for his protection arranged and provided by the halfbreed.

They'd arrived at the Kennel without much interference. Richard had said that this Jacko Quombi would've frequented the place to replenish the stock he used to satisfy his disgusting urges, and while she had no idea how often he needed to do so Thaloyss figured he would come around every other day or so to see what was new.
Thaloyss
Player

Words: 49907
Joined roleplay: April 28th, 2015, 5:27 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Richard Blow on June 13th, 2015, 5:56 pm

" 'S less for the dude, more so the petchers in the Den don't try to stab you in the kidneys. Walkin' around without a weapon's a death sentence there." Richard said with a tired smile as he partly wrapped his chains around his knuckles. The Den was not somewhere he enjoyed going, particularly to search for things, but at the moment they didn't have a much better lead; and so they went back into the fetid pit that was the Den. As was typical of their visits, the duo hadn't gone ten paces before saw someone getting shivved in an ally.

"Y'know, we really ought to stop by here with a wheelbarrow." Richard said thoughtfully, frowning slightly as he said this. He could swear this thought and situation sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite place the when or where. After a couple ticks, he shrugged and redoubled his pace.

Soon enough, they were in the relatively well-kept Kennels, and in a matter of ticks face to face with the eponymous Killroy. "Well hey there strangers!" the lanky fellow chirped. "What brings you here? Dogs, cats, leapoards? Maybe your girlfriend wants a beefy, creamy-skinned hunk for some variety, eh?"

Richard simply muttered "Good to see you, Killroy." with a look of utter bemusement on his face, and waited for the git to exhaust a few other potential reasons for their coming before laying a hand on his shoulder and saying with a hint of irritation. "Killroy, we don't want animals. We want to ask some questions."

"Aw, but you don't like it when I ask 'em, now do ya?" quipped back the thief. "So maybe I can politely ask you to petch off and neither of us can get what we want."
Richard sighed loudly and jangled his chains. "Just answer the petching questions and we'll buy a furry bugger."
"All right. Killroy always serves a customer, and a customer's what you are now." Killroy said cheerily.
"Joy." deadpanned the Spiritist. "So. Jacko Quombi. Dog petcher... Or does he just watch dogs petch?" Richard shrugged before continuing. "What's he to you? How often's he around? Y'know where to find him?"

"That's three questions, so that's..." Killroy counted silently on his fingers before beaming at the duo. "Three animals! Y'good?"
"Yeah, sure, just talk." Richard said sleepily.
"All right, all right..." Killroy said with a pout. "So he volunteers around here. Gets the animals exercise. Sometimes he's down with the Kelvics. Comes by every few days, maybe a week. He does good enough work, an' the Kelvics ought to learn their place anyways. Never asked him where he lives, but he got some buddies live two blocks down that way." the thief said with a quick point of his finger. "Anywho, that's my bit done, so now it's your turn to pick a lovely furry beast!"

"Killroy, this is the petching Den. I didn't bring money." Richard said flatly. "Tell ya what, we'll probably be back not too long from now, I'll come with some cash then and buy some snakes or something. We good?"

The entrepreneur mulled this over for a few ticks, finally saying. "Maaaybe... I'll need some time to think. Maybe come back in a bit. Good deal?"
"Sure." said Richard though clenched teeth. "Let's go, Loyss."
Richard Blow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Thaloyss on June 14th, 2015, 6:10 am

Thaloyss shifted uncomfortably. Was she supposed to tell Richard she'd brought money? It wasn't her entire purse, of course, but she always kept coins hidden away on her person. Hidden where, you ask? Why, you sly dog. That information is not for your eyes.

The Dhani turned to look in the direction Killroy had pointed. Two blocks? What was two blocks? Two street areas? It probably meant two street areas, or something along those lines. She turned back at the mention of snakes, her eyes narrowing dangerously. Not only did Killroy sell furry beasts to a horrendous man, he also sold snakes.

She gripped Richard's shoulder tightly as they walked away, her anger conveyed by the crushing hold she had on him. "If we are buying ssnakess we are buying all of them. They do not desserve to be in the care of Killroy, if you could even call it that."

Her grip loosened and she took the lead, heading towards the homes of the men who were his 'buddies,' as Killroy said. It was a short walk and the homes were easily located due to the sounds of animals in various situations that bled through the door. It made a chill run down her spine.

The mercenary pounded heavily on the door of one of the homes. When it cracked open and the resident got a good look at her the crack widened to accomodate a small, rat-like man with short, greasy hair who looked to be in his thirties.

"Jacko Quombi. Where iss he?" she snapped before he could utter a single word.

"I- Jacko? Who's askin'?" was the reply, peering around her tall frame at Richard. His gaze flicked between the two, not sure which one was the leader. Being a woman had its downsides outside of Falyndar, but also its subtle advantages.

"I am," Thaloyss hissed, "Now tell me where he iss before I decide that your fingerss would look better broken."

His hesitation was clear, though he didn't seem to be afraid of her. It was almost as if he thought she was joking. "I don't know any Jacko Quombi, lady. Yer bein' fooled."

The Dhani took a step forward, filling the doorway. It was unfortunate that he was nearly a foot shorter than her, since his eyes were level with her breasts. To remedy this, she grabbed hold of the front of the skittish man's shirt and hauled him into the sunlight. She tossed him to the ground as if he weighed no more than a small dog and pressed a foot down on his chest.

"I am not in the mood for gamess. Richard, would you be a dear and jog thiss man'ss memory?"
Thaloyss
Player

Character sheet

Postby Richard Blow on June 14th, 2015, 6:54 am

"I just said some shyke to get him talking." muttered Richard back on mention of buying all the snakes. Spiritism was lucrative, but it wasn't that lucrative, and snakes that didn't shapeshift weren't exactly the most useful animals to a paranormal detective anyways. As they walked to the location Killroy pointed out, Richard caught sight of two lean, bald, vicious-looking men with bare chests and open ratty leather jackets standing against a crumbling brick wall and following the duo with their eyes. One of them drew a long knife from his belt and dragged his tongue across it, the corner of his mouth curling upwards. Richard tried not to look intimidated. "Alice, if you petched me over, I swear to Dira..." he thought anxiously to himself.

When they actually reached the place, Richard stepped back slightly and took stock while Thaloyss practiced her budding interrogation skills. There were five windows visible from where they were, most of them broken to some degree, all of them shrouded by thin cream curtains stained by fluids Richard didn't want to identify. A trash can fire burned next to the house on their near left, and a mix of mens' voices and yipping animals could be heard.
"Sexy times animals, or war beasts?" Richard thought as his brow furrowed and his grip on his chains tightened. "Best way to escape would be back the way we came. If a fight breaks out, should probably maneuver it toward-"
"Richard, would you be a dear and jog thiss man'ss memory?"

The Spiritist blinked a couple times, then looked down. "Oh! Hrm..."
Unlike Thaloyss, Richard didn't possess extraordinary physical prowess, and so spooking people wasn't a skill that came easily to him. As such, it took him a few ticks of thought before he squatted down next to the man's head, casually slapping his chain against the ground. "A'ight. So here's the deal." he said flatly. "We came here looking for booty. Jacko Quombi's booty, to be precise. Quombi done murdered a ho, see, and now she booty hunting from beyond the grave."

Richard swung his chain a little harder now, and just a little closer to the man's face. "Now, all this booty hunting making us real frustrated. The ho especially be comin' at people with a carving knife, savvy? She wants that butt. She wants to mount it on her fireplace." The chain thumped loudly, kicking up clouds of dust. The man's eyes watered, and he blinked hard. "Dunno what you're talking about." he said tightly.

"Now, that's a real pity." Richard said coldly, the chain an inch away from the man's ear now. " 'Cause the ho ain't gonna like that. She not leaving without her booty. Now, what we really want is Quombi's, but if you saying we can't have it, we just might have to settle with yours..."

Behind them, a low, rumbling growl rose.

"Oh petch."
Richard Blow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Thaloyss on June 16th, 2015, 5:59 am

As Richard began his interrogation, Thaloyss inspected her nails and struggled to stifle her laughter. He was scrawny and small, but amusing to watch. When her -- their -- prey refused to answer the question posed correctly, the foot on his chest began supporting more weight. A good bit more, actually, and if the growl hadn't interrupted their interrogation she might've even jumped on his ribcage a few times.

The Dhani whipped her head around, her hand immediately going to her kopis. The weapon she sought had -- unfortunately -- been left at her place of residency and she realized that it would be a really good time to have it now, damnit.

Especially in the face of the massive dog that had its teeth bared at them. Back home in Falyndar there were many dangers, but rarely did she hunt alone. Being a constrictor she was near the top of the food chain as well. In Sunberth? And in human form? She was as good as dead. Jungle dogs didn't even get that big.

To trained eye it would appear as though the specimen was healthy and strong, a mix of several powerful breeds including the Falivan Elk Dog and the Akinva Deerstalker. In fact, it even looked to have wolf in its bloodline. Together it made one incredible hunter, trained to chase its target and take it down.

To the untrained eye, however, it was something that was supposed to hurt and eat things. The two bald men from before were behind it, one holding onto a thick chain attached to the beast's collar. A hand reached towards the hook that held the animal back, another grabbing hold of the collar as the hook lifted away.

For one long, slow tick stretched like a bowstring the mercenary's muscles were frozen, fear dripping down her back in the form of cold sweat as the dog charged. The next tick and the bowstring was released, snapping back into place and sending her into overdrive.

"Richard, move!" she screamed, hauling him to his feet by the back of his shirt and shoving him forwards. She wasn't much of a runner by any means, having lazed around for a good chunk of her life, but the adrenaline that flowed through her veins smashed through her perceived barriers and she bolted, fully prepared to pull her friend along.

The duo clearly couldn't outrun the dog. It had four legs and was built for chasing down big game. They had two each and couldn't sustain high speeds for very long. Thaloyss could hear the scratching of its claws each time a paw left the ground and its breathing growing steadily closer. If the need arose, which it probably would, she'd take on the dog so Richard could run to safety.
Thaloyss
Player

Character sheet

Postby Richard Blow on June 16th, 2015, 6:37 am

"So they were part of Quombi's crew. Huh." thought the Spiritist. He snapped back to his full height, swinging his chain in a wide arc at the angry dog, aiming for its eye. Unfortunately, Richard was a detective, not a fighter, and so instead the length of metal slammed into the hound's ear, which while succeeding in drawing blood, only seemed to make the beast angrier. As such, he elected to follow Thaloyss' advice and sprint as far as his legs could carry him.

Running was only a temporary measure however, the beast built for the long haul. Their flight had left the dog's owners in the dust for the time being, so Richard spooled out his chain, wrapped it around his forearm, said to Thaloyss "Be ready to petch that mutt up." and wheeled around with his crudely armored appendage thrust out.

The dog smashed into Richard, bowling him over like a reed trampled underfoot. The Spiritist, prepared for the shock of the impact, immediately thrust his metal-shod arm into the animal's mouth. Fortunately, though powerful, the dog was not a very smart, and thus tried to bite through steel instead of letting go for fleshier body parts. Richard grabbed his wrist with his free arm as the beast started shaking its head, both attempting to get a good grip and rip flesh. "Thaloyss..." he hissed "Stomp this petcher!"

Further down the street, the lizardlike dog handlers were catching up.
Richard Blow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Thaloyss on June 16th, 2015, 7:41 am

Thaloyss skidded to a halt. "What!?" she shrieked. Was he actually planning on fighting the damned thing!?

Gods, humans were stupid. When there was something chasing you, you ran until you either lost it or it caught up to you. You didn't turn around and try and face it head-on. Unfortunately the latter (and more dangerous) one was Richard's exact mindset, having already wrapped his chain around his forearm.

The Dhani watched in horror as her friend was knocked over by the snarling beast as if he weighed no more than a field mouse. Thankfully his makeshift armor seemed to protect him from the wicked teeth that bore down on him. The dog was almost as big as Richard himself, thanks to its ancestry.

Fear for her life battled it out with the instinct to protect her only friend, the instinct coming out on top. She darted back to his side, delivering a powerful kick to its chest that elicited a pained yelp from the creature. The kick would've sent a small dog flying, perhaps throwing a medium one onto its side or back. But this hound? The kick only angered it further.

The animal whirled about and shook itself before leaping at the tall woman, barreling her over. Her head smacked against the ground and the air whooshed out of her, unable to stop her descent due to the creature above her. She was occupied with preventing it from tearing her throat out.

After a few moments of panicked gasping she managed to breathe clearly again. One hand was clasped around the dog's neck, just behind its jaw. The other was tangled in the fur on its chest, lifting it off of her as best as she could. She may be strong, but the dog was a heavy animal.

"Richard, do ssomething! I cannot fight the dog and the handlerss at the ssame time, and you cannot take on two people!" she yelled. The handlers were almost upon them, examining their knives casually. Even if the Spiritist ran away they would still have their fun with Thaloyss, who was burdened by the dog.
Thaloyss
Player

Character sheet

Postby Richard Blow on June 17th, 2015, 6:48 pm

"She kicked its chest? Really?" the Spiritist thought increduously as he pushed himself to his feet, breathing heavily. After looking at Thaloyss' plight for a tick with a bemused expression, Richard dusted himself off, rolled his shoulders, then leapt up, pulled his knees to his chest, and landed hip-first on the dog's neck.
C-rack! The animal slumped over, dead, while Richard tumbled off it and popped back upright. "The neck, Thaloyss." he said flatly. "You go for the neck."

He would have continued lecturing the Dhani on proper animal combat measures, but the slimy gentlemen with sharp implements weren't slowing down, nor were their knives any duller. "And now we keep running." quoth the wizard.
Richard Blow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Thaloyss on June 19th, 2015, 5:37 am

Thaloyss briefly glimpsed Richard leap into the air, but when the dog slumped on top of her she realized that he'd killed it. She let the beast's corpse lie on her for a few moments, then shoved it off and sat up. "Well, I'm ssor-ry that I have no experience with fighting dogss as big as thiss one," she told him with more than than a touch of snark.

The Dhani stood and grabbed the back of Richard's shirt in one hand, preventing him from running away. "Ah-ah-ah, you are sstaying here with me while I fight them. Get your chainss."

She was going to get the location of Jacko Quombi out of the men if it was the last thing she did. One of them began maneuvering himself around so her back faced him, preventing an escape down the street. One would normally think that it was time to panic because that was their only obvious escape route, but this was Sunberth. If the need arose they could simply slip between houses.

The mercenary nudged the dog corpse away from her and watched the brute in front of her. The men weren't twins, so the bigger one had chosen her as his target. She assumed that Richard was (hopefully) smart enough to cover her back and make sure the smaller one didn't shove a knife into her.

To make this clear, she elbowed him gently. "Richard, I sswear to Ssiku hersself that if you do not protect my back and I get sstabbed I will come back to haunt you and I will not let up until you apologize. Ssincerely."

As the men neared them, Thaloyss was beginning to regret her decision to stand and fight. "On ssecond thought, we sshould probably run," she murmured to her partner. Slowly, so as to not provoke a sudden attack, she reached around and slipped an arm under Richard's and across his chest.

With a hard jerk she yanked him to her side and lifted him into the air. He was no doubt slippery enough to escape her hold if he wanted to. At the same time the tall woman bolted towards an alley. It was the closest escape route to them, and if it was a dead end she could always boost Richard onto whatever roof or over whatever fence blocked their path.
Thaloyss
Player

Character sheet

Next