Flashback I Wish I Never Met You (Arvo)

Turrin encounters Arvo for the first time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

I Wish I Never Met You (Arvo)

Postby Turrin on August 15th, 2014, 5:13 am

Time Stamp: 40th of Spring, 506AV
Who: Arvo and Turrin

Leaning up against a leafless oak tree, Turrin keep his eyes on the road looking for a man named Arvo. Supposedly this man was supposed to be his hunting mentor till Turrin had a grasp on the terrain around Wind Reach. Turrin learned the basics of hunting and tracking from his father, but he his knowledge of hunting was primarily focused on the jungles of Falyndar and not the mountains of Kalea, so he was at a disadvantage compared to his Inarta peers. The Valintar told him that he was chiet, so if this Arvo was a Avora, he would have to listen to him without question. Turrin was never to keen on being a mindless lackey to anybody, so he would definitely be question his avora's judgment if he was a complete idiot. The avora who placed him with Arvo told him that he was mongrel, so he just had to look for a man with black hair, deathly white shin, and golden eyes. It couldn't be hard to spot him in a crowd full of gingers. Honestly, Turrin was relieved that the man wasn't a full blooded inarta because for the last four weeks, he had been singled out and harassed by the ginger barbarians for being a half breed. The black eye and bruises told were the proof that he wasn't going to put with the torment without a fight.

On the other hand, Kaya his twin sister had started to meld into Inarta society quite nicely. Never admitting to her, Turrin wondered if her comely appearance and outgoing personality was the reason that she had more success in her mother's homeland. Kaya looked like his inarta mother, Ceela, but she had the coloring of her father. It was odd combination indeed, but she definitely got a lot of stares from the ginger barbarians. Turrin knew his sister would rise the castes faster than him because she was a artist in Taloba, so she had past experience to land her apprenticeship as a glassblower in the city. Unlike him, Turrin knew Kaya was going to be someone important in Wind Reach. He just hoped that he was alive to see her achieve her dreams come true.

Turrin pictured her eventually catching the eye of endal, and she would move into a aeries in the skies. In Taloba, Kaya was considered useless because she didn't want to be a warrior; however, the daily beatings from Grandmother, who was clan leader, convinced his sister to at least try to act like a warrior, but in her heart, she just wanted be a artist, so she grit her teeth and trained how to fight like good myrian woman should. Turrin hated his Grandmother's for her treatment of his twin sister, and he would always have to protect his sister from his female cousin who often picked on her for her golden eyes and gentle personality. In Taloba, she was weak and pathetic. In Wind Reach, she was a Inarta with a bright future ahead of her.

Turrin wasn't faring well in his mother's homeland. The myrian boy didn't understand the Inarta culture at all especially a social system governed by men. All civilized people know that nations not ruled by women were doomed implode on itself. When he first arrived in Wind Reach, he was shocked and appalled that the most powerful person in the city was a man. At that moment, Turrin wondered if they made the wrong decision in leaving Lhavit. However, his mother was adamant that they lived in the city of her birth, so Turrin swallowed his pride and trusted his mother's decision even if he thought it was a bad idea. To make matter's worse for him, Turrin had the face and demeanor of myrian, so he was often singled out by his fierce features. If he was born a woman in Taloba, he could joined the Goddess' armies armies and make a name for himself; however, because of his ginger blood and his gender, he was cursed to be just a outsider in his father's homeland and a second rate hunter in a city of uncivilized barbarians. It sickened him, but to see the smile on his sister's face, he would endure the barbarian city.

Crossing his arms in boredom , Turrin looked down at his sister and said with a smile in common, “Didn't you volunteer to plant in the fields today. Shouldn't you be making your there instead of laying in the grass like a layabout.”

Kaya rolled over onto her elbows, stuck out her tongue at him, and said in Nari, “I was told to be there at nine bells. It is only thirty chimes past the sixth bell, so you will just have to put up with me until your instructor comes along little brother.”

Running a hand through his burgundy hair, Turrin gave his sister a flat look and reminded her, “I was born only thirty chimes after you. We are the same age Kaya...”

Turrin knew Kaya loved rubbing it in that she was born first before him. It gave her the excuse to act like a second mother to him. In truth, he didn't mind much because she was a woman, so he had to listen to her by myrian customs, but the real truth his mother mental condition was worsening since their father's death. Ceela, his mother, functioned well enough to keep her status as a chiet, but Kaya and him could definitely tell that she wasn't the same woman as she was in Taloba. In truth, it started to scare even him.

With a smile, Kaya picked a piece of grass out of her hair, started to tie it in a knot, and said in Nari, “Turri...you need to lighten up. Otherwise your going to just be the angry guy in the corner and alone the rest of your life. You have to admit Wind Reach is far better than Taloba...”

Taking a deep breath, Turrin didn't want to admit to his sister his true feelings about the ginger barbarians and their city, so he forced a smile and said quietly in common, “You sound like a bird.”

Kaya shook her head, started to laugh out loud, and said in common, “You better talk Nari to your instructor otherwise he might get all pissy with you!” Turrin watched her stand up and stretch out her arms. He noticed a few of the inarta males watching her, so he shifted his protective gaze upon them. Turrin had a good idea what the barbarians were thinking as they watched his sister. In his mind, none of them were worthy of courting a myrian woman. Eventually, the group of young men walked away, and he turned to his sister and said, “Can you help me keep a eye out for a pale man with black hair?”
Last edited by Turrin on April 9th, 2015, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrian, Common, Nari , Aponivi, Turrin

Thank you Nyxie Nadira Draer for the posting template.
Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Words: 581340
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 1:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Arvo on August 20th, 2014, 3:08 am

Arvo had been told that he was to be a mentor for a chiet named Turrin. Initially, he felt as though he was finally being recognized as a hunter rather than just ‘officially’ known as one. But as he thought about it, it was more likely that no one else wanted the job since the teenager he was to be mentoring was a half-blood. It was as though that word was poison to the narrow-minded inhabitance of this city. Still, this didn’t faze him, nor did it surprise him. Turrin was apparently a half Myrian, and looked like one too. Arvo didn’t know anything about their culture other than what he’d heard muttered amongst the other Inartens upon their arrival. Cannibalistic, bloodthirsty, savages, these were three of the words that often came up. Not that Arvo cared.

Turrin had most likely already been harassed by his red-headed peers, and so was probably glad to have a ‘mongrel’ like him as his mentor, rather than a snarky red-head. Turrin was already a hunter, but his knowledge of the terrain was lacking, hence why Arvo had to teach him. Instruction was something he’d never thought much about. Obviously it had always been a huge possibility, what with the never ending stream of hopeful Yasi’s looking for an apprenticeship with a hunter, but Arvo could never see himself doing the job.

Isil, his mentor, had just thrown him into everything, after basic tutorials. It had worked for him, but Arvo wasn’t like Isil, meaning he enjoyed showing off, and leading by example. This meant that there was no way Arvo could allow himself to mess up. For even though Turrin wasn’t allowed to question him, as per cultural tradition, he very much doubted that the outsider would give two skykes about that Tradition.

Turrin hadn’t moved here alone. He remembered seeing a his twin sister as well. Kaya, she was dark skinned and beautiful with Inarten red hair. It was funny how much of a difference that pigmentation meant to his people, because although she was a half-blood too, she was wildly more accepted by his male ‘friends’ than Turrin was. In fact, she had most of them drooling over her already. It was puzzling. Females were considered the leaders in Myrian culture, he knew that much, so maybe she carried a certain ‘air’ of confidence about her that drew them in like moths to the flame.

He could see for himself now, as the two outsiders came into view by the entrance of Thunder bay. Arvo approached the two of them with an easygoing smile “You must be Turrin and Kaya.” He said nodding at each of them in turn. “I’m sure you recognized me anyway, But I’m Arvo, your hunting mentor” He said chuckling lightly. “Welcome to the city, for what it’s worth.” Arvo said shrugging, not sure if anyone else would say something like that or not. Whatever, he would have appreciated the welcome if he was a foreign newcomer to this hell of a city.

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo
A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing

Words: 47221
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2014, 6:47 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Turrin on August 22nd, 2014, 4:07 am

“Turrin, I see him!”

Turrin looked over at his sister as she pointed her finger at a man coming down the road. The myrian to see a pale man with thick dark hair. Turrin heard his mentor was a mixed blood like him, but he couldn't even tell if the man was Inartan at all. When the strange man got closer, he saw the gold in him irises. Turrin thought to himself, I guess the pale man does share the same blood as my mother. The myrian watched him in silence as the pale man introduced himself as Arvo. Turrin gave the man a slow nod and glanced at his sister who seemed to caught up in his charm. Unlike Turrin, Kaya tended to give people the benefit of the doubt without question. However, Turrin noticed especially in Wind Reach that Inarta tend to treat everyone lower than them like crap. Unless they want something, so immediately, he would be suspicious of this man until Arvo proved himself trustworthy. Crossing his arms, Turrin said simply, “My name is Turrin of the Twisted Vine, and I am honored to be your pupil, Instructor Arvo.”

Feeling a elbow to his ribs, Kaya gave Arvo a big smile and said in common, “You have to pardon my brother. He...should have introduced himself in Nari to you. We are still learning the customs of your city, so if we look and act like complete idiots right now, forgive us.” Running a hand through her auburn hair, Kaya continued in Nari, “Sorry...I need practice Nari. My name Kaya of the Twisted Vine nice...to meet you, Arvo.”

Rubbing his ribs, Turrin glared at his sister and said quickly in common to her, “My Nari sounds like shyke sister. I sound like a drowning bird...”

Kaya gave her brother a better do it look and said in a tone that almost sounded like a order, “You are being rude! Turrin, just do it like mother taught you...”

For about half a chime, the two siblings had a stare down, but eventually Turrin surrendered with a low growl of defeat. Looking at Arvo, Turrin said in Nari with nod, “...My..name...Turrin of Twisted Vine. I honored to your.... student.” The teenage myrian blushed at how stupid that he must have sounded to his new teacher. He didn't understand why the Inarta insisted on sounding like birds. Are they going to start laying eggs too? Turrin looked at Arvo and said bluntly in Nari, “Thank you for welcome. Not to many nice welcomes from others in city. You first. Err...your city..is very different. Don't understand well.”

By the look on his face, Turrin did his best to utter a coherent sentence in nari to his instructor. At least, it sounded somewhat understandable. However, the myrian noticed his speech was choppy with a lot of pauses. He was very unsure if he was using the right tweets, chirps, and whistles in the right places. Looking at his sister to say something, Turrin crossed his arms and asked in Nari, “I know nothing about err..Unforgiving. You will show me good hunting...land.” Inwardly groaning to himself, Turrin hoped Arvo insisted that he speak in common the rest of the trip. It took to much energy to speak in Nari since he had to think about every word uttered in a sentence.
Last edited by Turrin on August 30th, 2014, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Arvo on August 28th, 2014, 1:59 pm

oocSorry it took so long! I’ve been under some stress with uni and work lately. I’m trying to get better at balancing it all out hahaha.
Arvo couldn’t help but grin as he listened to the newcomers talk. Turrin introduced himself in common, which Arvo had made sure to study. After all, common was the most spoken language in the world by far, and honestly, he wasn’t sure how many more years in this city he had left in him. He watched the two of them squabble. It was interesting watching them interact. Arvo had always wondered what he’d do if he had a sister. Maybe it’d give him a reason to want to protect something other than himself? He wasn’t sure he could picture it. Surely being related to someone didn’t mean you had to care about them, right? In Arvo’s experience, love was never unconditional, one had to earn it, and benefit from it.

His train of thought wavered on this for a while until he saw Turrin begin to speak again, this time in Nari, or something that sounded a bit like Nari. Arvo chuckled loudly after the embarrassed half-blood teenager finished speaking. “Maybe you could say all that again except this time try forming actual sentences” Arvo said in Nari, a big grin on his face as he fought to stop himself from sniggering. “On second though, maybe common would suit you better?” Arvo resolved, grin fading back into an easy-going smile.

Turrin had been trying to say that Arvo had been the first to welcome him ‘nicely’. This was not surprising at all. “No, you won’t get many ‘nice welcomes’ here, heck, I STILL get shyke from them, and I was born here.” Arvo said, sticking to common tongue for communications sake. He was definitely putting it lightly in saying that. All of them were resentful of Arvo for being a mongrel and not falling to the drudge caste like he apparently should have. He’d never understood their hatred. Arvo had never thought of himself as a monster as a kid. In fact he’d seen himself as the only one who wasn’t a monster. “Yes, I’ll show you good hunting…land” He said in nari, mimicking the teen’s fragmented speech jestingly.

He smiled again at Kaya “Be sure you both practice Nari. It’ll make things slightly easier for you here.” Arvo told them both “I can help you out with that a little too, I suppose.” Arvo told Turrin in Nari with a grin “Now come, lets go hunt.” He said enthusiastically. He was always eager to leave the city, even if it was just for a little while. He turned momentarily to Kaya “See you round, Kaya” He told her with a playful wink and a wave goodbye. He was planning on taking his student to hunt pray of a somewhat lower elevation to begin with. Some of the animals in the higher elevations on the mountains were dangerous, especially for those without sure footing and knowledge of the terrain.

Arvo knew a spot where rabbits and other small creatures were frequent, and there was always a possibility of encountering foxes or wild cats stalking them as well. Turrin could bag himself a good catch, whilst remaining safe from the very real possibility of losing his footing and plummeting to his death. Something like that, it simply wouldn’t be good for Arvo’s teaching career.”I hope your skills with a bow are better than your nari, my friend.” Arvo said in common as he began to lead the way.

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Turrin on September 7th, 2014, 6:15 pm

When Arvo started to laugh out loud at his nari, Turrin immediately shut his mouth and clenched his fist. The myrian brief experience with Inarta that they either mock or shun anyone different than them. Arvo showed that he was no different than the rest of the ginger barbarians. It didn't matter to him. He was a warrior of Myri, and he didn't need or want acceptance from these people. Turrin just crossed his arms and listened to the pale man ramble on about how he should just stick to common instead of nari. The myrian said in common with a thick accent, “I will take your advice Arvo. I wouldn't want to embarrass myself further...” When Arvo commented that he wasn't treated vary by his own people. Turrin wanted to say that he wasn't surprised at all, but he decided to hold his tongue. He was here to learn the land around Wind Reach, and if he had to stomach putting up with this lout fine.

Turrin watched and listened in silence as the pale man started to flirt with his sister. The myrian didn't mind because he knew Arvo didn't stand a chance with a daughter of Myri, but it was amusing to watch him try. Kaya seemed to take his advice and said in common with a smile, “Yes we will. My brother and I are trying are damnest to learn our mother's language, but we haven't had much experience speaking with other natural speakers, so it been kind of difficult for both of us. Hasn't it Turrin?”

Turrin said with a nod, “Yes.”

Suddenly Kaya said to Arvo, “It was nice to meet you, and I will see you around.” She looked at Turrin and said simply, “You be nice alright....” Turrin always hated that his twin sister could read him so well. He just wished that she wasn't so bossy all the time.

Turrin looked at his sister and asked with a smile, “Aren't I always nice?”

Kaya gave him a look, waved to them both, and walk away from the pair towards the fields. Turrin turned his attention and followed Arvo with his fingers rubbing the lacquer of the short bow. It didn't take long for Arvo to joke about his nari by insulting his skill with a bow. The myrian decided it was time for him to joke around with the human, “If your worried about me shooting you in the back, I suggest you stand behind me.” Turrin walked behind him in silence for a few times and asked bluntly, “I take it, human. You don't have many friends in Wind Reach do you? Sometimes your wit gets the best of you?” The myrian would waited patiently for his answer. Turrin didn't expect a honest answer from Arvo, but it would speak volumes about the man from the answer that he gave to him.

Turrin
No Chains will Hold Me

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Arvo on September 19th, 2014, 8:57 am

oocSorry this took a while. Uni can get overwhelming sometimes
Turrin looked quite irritated when Arvo had laughed, balling his fists, and repling rather sarcastically. Of course, laughing was something Arvo did a lot of, He was almost always grinning stupidly. People couldn’t read him if he used this mask, and besides, he didn’t really know how to do anything else. Whatever, it was best not to dwell on these things, he thought as he focused on what was happening now. This guy didn’t like him, he could already tell. But Arvo was used to that.

As Kaya left, and Arvo began to walk along side his new acquaintance, cracking jokes like he usually did, he was glad when the teenager fired back. Arvo chuckled “Hey now, don’t get so upset! I’m sincerely sorry I laughed at your Nari. There, better? Sheesh!” He said placing a sarcastic hand on his heart as he did so. Turrin’s next question made him drop his guard for just a second, and he was forced to break eye contact with his student. “Huh… That’s certainly a quick assumption” He muttered looking up at the sky and trying to figure out how best to answer.

It was probably pointless lying to Turrin, considering he’d already formulated an opinion of Arvo, meaning he wouldn’t believe the lie, no matter how convincing. Not to mention, Turrin was judging his personality right now. Arvo lacked a lot of personality, and so he’d crafted one of his own, hoping it’d help him fit in. So much had he worn this mask that it had almost become a natural defense mechanism. “No, I’m not well liked” He said honestly. It was the first time in the whole conversation that his voice carried any sort of seriousness, but the moment soon passed as he returned to his mask “And don’t you knock my witticism! I spent a long time perfecting it, damnit!” He said, returning to his goofy mannerisms, and planting a fake sulky frown on his face.

He continued to walk, slightly more silent than he had been bofore. He felt judged, now. It couldn’t be is snide remarks that made people dislike him, could it? Did people really get upset that easily? Of course, as a kid he’d been despised by most his age, but that was well before he’s masked his lack of emotions with smiles and laughter. There was Moxy, she was his best friend. And then… well no one really. No one at all.

He wasn’t even sure he cared all that much about Amoux. Or, he couldn’t tell what it was to care about someone. He wanted her around because otherwise he’d have no one at all. But wasn’t that just selfish? Wasn’t he just thinking about what he needed rather than about Moxy as a person? She was definitely the closest person to him, and he’d feel sad if she was gone. It had taken him a long time to get even to that stage. Maybe he just wasn’t cut out for multiple friendships. Maybe that was just a copout.

He took the outsider to a rocky little clearing with plenty of trees and places for small creatures to hide. “Here is one of the lower elevations. Here you’re looking at Marmot’s, rabbits, squirrels, or foxes.” He paused “Bours and some species of deer are also common for this area.” He said “So, do you know how to track?” He asked, without his usual mocking tone of voice “If not you can follow my lead, and I’ll let you know what I’m doing.”

Other character(s)
Billie
Arvo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ssezzkero on June 18th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Grades
If you have any questions or concerns, PM me.

Turrin
XP:
    Philosophy +1
    Socialization +3
    Observation +2

Lores:
    Inarta Casting System
    Kaya: Is having an easier time in Windreach
    Kaya: An artist at heart
    City-States not ruled by women are doomed
    Arvo: A mixed blood as well
    Inarta: Not accepting of outsiders

Notes: Don't forget to edit your post in the request forum as 'Graded'. :)

Arvo
Notes: If you return, PM me for your grades.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)