Closed Risking Splinters [Fallon]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Risking Splinters [Fallon]

Postby Zandelia on June 21st, 2015, 5:08 pm

Summer 5th, 515 AV – Scarred Wolf Investigations

It was a marvellous day within the seaport city, fresh winds were bringing in the salt to caress the streets with its taste and smell and the sun beat down upon the buildings with as vigour that somehow seemed to reflect the brightness of Sunberth but not quite the heat. Perhaps, she reasoned, living with constant gusting air from the wide blue expanses held more benefits than merely discouraging lingering odours. Or perhaps she was just sued to the scent of death and decay on a daily basis. Either way she was sure of one thing, life was good and she had spent too much time neglecting things which aught not have been left aside. As such she had made an executive decision, she was carrying it with her as she made her way to the office. She flicked it upwards and watched the light silhouette it before it fell and her hand snatched out to grab its handle.

“I suppose the tonfa were getting a bit stale” she told herself as she turned the last corner and made the short journey to the door.

It had been a thought lingering in her mind for some time, the idea that she could fight well enough but was far from prepared for every situation. She was decent up close without weapons, better with tonfa against anyone without armour. She was poor with a bow and even worse against armoured targets. She was an infiltrator, not a warrior. Yet if they were to sail off into the expansive unknown then she would need to fill that gap in her arsenal – so she was going to learn the sword. Or, rather, she was hoping someone would teach her. She knew of no equal to Fallon still in the city of Zeltiva, the knight having left now as far as she could ascertain. Kaie had too she knew. Her list of friends and allies – true one – grew lesser by the season. That saddened her but she knew they each had their own paths to tread.

My own, I think, now filled with more hope than anything else she thought to herself privately.

She was not complaining however, her life had improved immeasurably in many ways. Her health had improved in Zeltiva for starters, a decent diet and regular lack of injury made her feel ten years younger – that and the influence of infectious optimism. She was going to be married – an unexpected turn of events that still drew a smile to her lips. Not the most elegant of proposal – she still felt embarrassed about spraying her tea everywhere. Still, it was another joy. She was getting smarter too, more adept at the city's machinations and her understanding was broadening. Anelda had held up her end of the bargain, though had not yet really deigned to put her forwards for anything special. Yes...she was healthier, happier and certainly better dressed. A woman of...society.

“Strange indeed,” she muttered as she entered the building and knocked the wood of the practise weapon against the wall, “hello in here! Anyone home? I distinctly remember something being said about working. I thought it atrociously bad form, came to put a stop to it...in a manner of speaking” her voice pitched to throw itself throughout the building.

“It's such a lovely day after all, how would you feel about working up a sweat?” she turned the corridor and saw Fallon at the desk, “there you are. Hiding from me are we?” she leant against the door frame and pointed the wooden weapon's tip at her, “Care to dance?”
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on June 21st, 2015, 5:57 pm

Fallon had positioned herself near the open office window, coat left hanging by the door, the gloved fingers tugging at her collar to allow the skin beneath to cool. The rest of her form had collapsed into the office chair, eyes drawn into slits, with weak, cold tea next to her - devoid of any additions. It was more refreshing she found. Eyes turned and lifted up into a blink, her notebook resting heavy in her hands, the mind entering a blank hum as the words gave a blur. While the weather was indeed glorious for some and cooler than it had been in Sunberth, it was still warm and something she was not looking forward to dealing with. She hoped the cure of drinking plenty of water and staying away from the alcohol would serve.

The tired mind gave a turn, a sharp jolt. While they were at peace and recovering, the mind was not - Fallon was left restless, worrying and chewing upon her lip. Things had happened, things that she did not want to share immediately with her partner. There was the events of the late spring, her investigations, and more worryingly the drunken thug and the burning bottle. She gave a snort, turning the page of her note book and enjoy the slowness of the day. For once she was grateful she was not disturbed and left to her own thoughts - she needed to think things through still. Allies, she needed them, and she also needed to calculate other important factors. A wedding for one, the antics of circumnavigation for another. The inspector had considered pushing back the plan for a few more seasons to ensure the possibility, but got no further than that. It would now simply be the case of waiting to see what would happen.

And right now, the happenings were in the form of heavy eyelids and dark under shadows. She gave a slow blink, feeling her shoulders sink down into the chair, her lips smacking the air. It would have been so easy to drift off, so very easy to just close the book and just rest within the cool breeze. No one would disturb her, no one would come in and ask for her services today. She could afford to close her eyes for just a mome-

It was the singsong voice slicing through the building that made Fallon jolt awake. The blurred mind juddering into life and the book slipping from her lap. Flustered, she rubbed her eye socket as the office sharpened in her vision. The other hand tightly gripped the arm of the chair, the voice calling out again and the steps sounding. She could still feel the cool breeze, the gripping wish for sleep clinging tightly to her form. Her head gave a turn to the door, the visitor taking a lean up against it and brandishing a weapon at her. Slowly blinking Fallon took the book up from the floor and placed it firmly upon the desk.

"Zandelia, my dear, why are you waving a wooden sword at me?" she finally yawned. It took effort to push herself up from the chair, a momentary sway as she gained her balance on the spot. The deep inhale and the clicking of her neck served in pushing the cogs into movement. It took a moment longer to repeat the words that had been spoken, "Slow down. I... working up a sweat? Dance?" She gave a squint, mind faltering for a moment on what the woman meant - it did seem to hold double meanings between them, "You mean... in here?" She gave a second yawn and forced the legs into movement. The gloved hand moved and picked up the kukri from the desk and slid it into its respective sheath, "Hiding? From you? No, never. I was..." a cough, "Sleeping."

Shaking her head she stepped out from behind it, taking up the cold tea and draining the cup with a wince - it still did not taste that good, "I think you're not here for the double entrendres. So, did you need something. With your... sword?" Another pause, "Why the sword? Are we off to play hero? Or... I don't know. I'm waking up still. Zandelia, can I help you with something at all?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on June 21st, 2015, 7:49 pm

Strange how someone could be so thrown by such a simple occurrence, such as an unexpected arrival. Usually so collected and calm she was startled beyond belief, it amused her no end. Having slept in the same bed for some time she knew how Fallon was in the mornings but this was extreme even for her. She had to smile, even if she tried to stop it from creeping across her face. She wondered too why the woman was so tired, it was not as if they were fighting gangs all day every day anymore. Her head tilted to the side as she kept the point of the lathe up towards Fallon. Her gaze slowly moved to the table, glancing over the stacks of notes and the ever important notebook. She always had loved the written word, almost as if it helped to make sense of things. She had never found much use for them herself, though she had them on occasion.

“You are so adorable when you're waking, if I were not so fancied by you I'd use this to my advantage. Weaknesses, weaknesses. Although, perhaps it might serve my purposes, no?” she snorted at that and swept her arms across the office.

“We can dance in here, if you insist my dear, but we might need to get you a new office afterwards. And maybe set it on fire to not get in trouble with the landlords” she stated amusedly as she stepped into the room and made her way to the woman, placing the sword on the table for now and coming round behind her, “rough few days? What have you been getting up to? After Sunberth I'd have thought you'd want a rest of at least three whole seasons” she continued as her fingers found the shoulder muscles and began a small, gentle teasing out of the tensions there.

She spent a few moments in trying to bring some solace to a clearly troubled soul, her soul, before wrapping her arms around the waist to rest her chin upon the shoulder instead. One hand reached out to fumble for the practise weapon and then shoved it out before them both for inspection. Twisting it in front of them she could feel the weight of the core within the wood, unknown metal but likely to be iron and simulating some of the weight of a true sword. It was as close a replica to Fallon's tulwar as she could find – the better to learn with. She knew many weapons were unique, no sense in getting a longsword and asking her to teach what she didn't know. She felt it shift in her grip, pull on her wrist and the associated muscles in a way her tonfa didn't. She would need newer strengths to wield it properly.

“I thought that you might teach me how to fight like you do, tonfa are not particularly known for sea combat. Besides...a sword is less...noticed. My weapons make me stand out. That and I think it would do you good to get some fresh air...in daylight I mean. Or, forgoing the teaching today...I am only half-blind. I know a tightly wound would when I see one. It's my job to make sure you don't push too far” she planted a quick peck on the cheek before stepping around and turning to put the point upon her collarbone now.

“If you need incentive...well the prize is me. Possibly bruised and a bit grumbling, but me nonetheless. Am I winning this persuasion?” she asked before pulling the weapon back and grinding the point into the wood, she always did find new ways to play with toys, spinning it to produce a steady noise of wood on wood.

“Or would you rather me leave you to your...cold tea and...notes...and sleeping by yourself?” she half-pouted at that potential outcome, though she could safely teach herself some things she supposed. She was not an idiot, still better to come from an actual warrior.
Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fallon on June 21st, 2015, 9:19 pm

"Adorable. What. Wait. I..." she gave a grunt in response and shook her head. Pinching her brow she allowed Zandelia to close in with the wooden sword. She figured after a moment it was merely an act to distract her from her work, even as she swept across the room and put the sword to one side. Fallon however was moving more sluggish, gathering her bearings while the hands came to rest upon the shoulder muscles. She stilled herself, a deep inhale and exhale as she went through the small motions upon the muscles. With a small nod and the mind clouded by sleep subsiding away, she pushed herself to stand up straight, "I am fairly certain that if you wish for something from I you will surely find a way to get it. Whether I am tired or not."

She let the lips give a small curl then, hands cupping over the others that wrapped their way around her, the smallest of squeezes in response, "I don't sleep as well as I used to. Thinking about things. Work for one." She followed the hand that too up the wooden tulwar, holding it out stretched before them both, "A partner keeping me up all night for another. Just little things. It'll pass and I'll be able to rest deeply." She hummed then, reaching forward up and around the hilt of the blade. The disc pommel, the narrow crossguard, she gently moulded her hand over Zandelia's own and pushed the fingers into a better position.

"Teach you how to use a tulwar?" she felt the edge of the hand brush against the flat of the pommel, "My, coming for all my skills and secrets now are we? And yes, your weapons do. Are you sure that is all the reason though?" Her tone teased, "Are you sure it is not just to see me? Not that I don't value the distraction." She followed the woman with her eyes as she presented herself before her. There was a small flinch when the tip stroked against the collarbone, a blip of a pause in the mind that caused her to tense momentarily, "I can teach, if that is what you desire. And prize?" Gently she batted the tip of the wooden blade away and stepping in close. The gloved finger tips held Zandelia's chin, "But I already have this prize. No?"

With a tap upon the lips she moved her way around the rest of the office, "You are winning. And outside would be better I feel. Stretch the legs, this office does get awfully dry at times," She flittered about her things. Sealing her ink vial for one, lowering the quill to the desk surface for another. The notebook was closed and put away in one of the draws, the paper notes neatly tucked into their respective envelopes - she needed the organisation. Fallon snorted, "Sleeping in specific company is much more enjoyable than sleeping alone. I think we could both agree to that one." She dipped around to her water skin tucked neatly into the shade and promptly claimed it - before tapping the rest the kit that hung around her waist.

"So, outside - going to guess you have somewhere in mind? Lead on," Fallon swept her hand forward and towards the door, the other one holding the office key within her fingers, "Don't worry, I'm just going to lock up behind us. The tulwar though, what do I know about blades and fighting like I?" She gave a step out of the office door and closed it after Zandelia left the room, "Well, a tulwar is a blade good for hacking, slashing and piercing - something you may have seen me do before. And, it's good for snaking into one move into another. With practice that is. Keeping them sharp and looked after though is just as important, and you may have noticed that it's harder to twist your wrist due to the large disc right? That's the reason why that's there - a tulwar is used best with a draw cut and little wrist movement." She paused, "Was that too much at once?"
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)