Closed Blessed with Friends (Pulren)

Firenze bumps into Pulren and secures temporary living.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Blessed with Friends (Pulren)

Postby Firenze on June 8th, 2015, 7:02 pm

2 Summer, 515 AV
Dusk

Hiking the bottom of her skirt up a little, heels clacked on the pavement as she crossed the street. Her cat pin attached to her blouse, tousled locks had grown and were gently brushing the top of it. She made her way through the Sailor’s Quarters, recently having been informed of each of the sections of town from one of her fellow co-workers she tried to note where each location was while walking the town. Some of the others seemed to stay in and wait for the clients to come to them, which was fine, she did that as well, but she still kept her eyes open for any potential money that could be earned while she walked around.

She hadn’t gotten to see much of the other Quarter’s and between hunting after hours for her own food and trying to do as she was being taught and told during the day, she felt as though she’d been burning the candle at both ends, so to speak. Dark circles had started to appear under her eyes, they weren’t prominent but she’d been chastised for them because it could hurt the possibility of her getting a client.

So today she decided that she would take a day off, try to recover. She’d slept in, took her time catching her meager breakfast and bathing in the stream where she stored her pack. Carefully applied her makeup trying to get better at the powders and kohl that she’d purchased to help make herself presentable. Already skinny, she noticed that weight was not staying on her bones and that could be a problem. Men liked curves, not a skeleton. She could stay at a tavern but after the last one that she’d roomed in Fire felt claustrophobic even thinking about it.

Just beyond the buildings she could see the docks and the bustle of sailor’s moving their cargo, a breeze off the water brought a welcome chill and the smell of fish. Not really having eaten much fish in Sunberth Fire began to get taste for it, it was actually quite delicious and it almost seemed readily available in the town by the sea. Although she’d began to like it, it was still difficult for her to catch, just as any of the animals the roamed the surrounding woods.

Eyes glanced to a man passing, top heavy and well muscled, his sleeves rolled up and the smell of fish came off him like a perfume. It didn’t deter her like it might some other sensitive ladies, she actually liked the smell of hard work and sweat on a man. She knew how difficult it could be and that those muscles were from years of back breaking work. Things didn’t come free in this world.

Reminding herself that she needed today off, to get herself back, she still smiled at him. Flicking her eyes back toward the ground when he grinned, then back to him with a slight blush on her cheeks. The corner of her mouth still turned up slightly she kept walking past him as his eyes followed. Heart racing, she let out a breath. It still made her nervous to actually interact with people in public after the last few years of having been in Sunberth.

She crossed the street and paused slightly when she looked up and spotted another face that she’d not expected in Zeltiva. Was her old life following her? Why was he here? He had mentioned having been from Zeltiva or lived here or something along those lines, this helped to ease her mind as to why he was just in front of where she crossed.

Her skirt in her hand still, she lifted it up a little more and stepped closer to the buildings, following. It brought her a small bit of comfort to see another familiar face in a still strange city, that gave her feet motivation to move slowly forward, her eyes never leaving him. Guiding her to him as though an invisible magnet pulled her. She wanted to see him again but then… what would she say? What would she do? Did he want to see her?

Others | Firenze | Thoughts

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 21st, 2015, 5:53 am

Summer was in full bloom, the sky a brilliant blue and Syna shining Her light over everything in sight. Pulren had risen early, finding himself strangely confused. For a long time, he had a purpose when he rose in the mornings. Most of his life, he had to get to work for Uncle Pal and then he had risen early to get his duties with the Guard. In Sunberth, he had to get things done for the Scars and then fairly recently, he was at it again rising early for Guard duties. The Society gave work in pieces and it was mostly up to the individual to find their own duties. Pulren had decided that he would give himself a day or two to get himself together before he started training. He had a lot of work to do before he would let himself feel qualified as a mercenary.

So the day brought linen shirt and pants and his regular boots, though they were hot with their fur lining. As he breathed in the salty air, he considered maybe buying some sandals or other footwear that might be more comfortable in Summer. It was sort of strange to be just a tourist of sorts, to take in the day without any major duties or responsibilities looming overhead. So, a walk toward West Street was in order. He knew the General Store there would probably have something affordable and easy, the walk a gift in itself.

Plenty of people were out on the street of affluent businesses, the beautiful weather attracting many shoppers and other people of higher classes. Pulren felt as if he blended in as well as anyone. He also thought about the income potential at the Society and how West Street could easily become a regular place for him. A grin came to his lips as he imagined that the snobby persona of Palaren Marshall could find itself fitting his own life in a few seasons even.

Strangely, when he began thinking about Palaren, a face in the crowd showed itself, jumping out at him from the others. There were definitely plenty of lovely women on West Street, but the long, lithe form of the girl he had taught how to swim in Sunberth was easily picked out of the crowd, a rose among daisies. His face softened as he noticed she was looking at him too, though she seemed to be shy. She certainly didn't seem so shy back in Sunberth, though he was admittedly happy to find her on these streets rather than those filthy ones.

Crossing through the foot traffic, he approached her. "Fire, right? I'm glad to see you made it out of Sunberth." He smiled and extended his hand in greeting.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Firenze on June 23rd, 2015, 2:02 am

Feet moved, almost as though she were in the forest watching prey, stalking it. The man in front of her noticed her and she stopped. Hand grasped into her skirt tightly, her heart beat a slightly tick faster. She watched his face, scanning it with her eyes, hoping that he would recognize her as she did him. His face appeared to soften and suddenly the images of them swimming through the water together, their bodies brushing against each other surfaced in her mind. Quickly the images changed over to them conversing on the dock, sunning and exchanging words. Red lightly tinged her cheeks and a small smile lifted one side of her mouth.

Golden eyes watched green ones that reminded her of the ocean nearby. She moved closer, breathing in deep and letting it out slowly as she approached. He came closer and spoke, relief flooded. He remember her. Tears threatened with happiness at finding someone familiar in the city of strangers. The feeling of being alone washed away. She’d seen Aider weeks prior, but with him it was different.

From the minute she met Palaren she’d felt comfortable, even though part of her still remained restrained, her body responded differently than her mind. Relaxing, she gave him a full smile, it reached her eyes, turning them up at the corners. “Palaren, it’s good to see you. I’m glad you remember me. It’s been such a long time I’d almost thought I was seeing ghosts!” She laughed softly under her breath, awkwardness at her terrible joke flaming her cheeks deeper.

Lips coming back together, a small smile played on her lips, her mouth betraying how happy she was to the man in front of her. “How’ve you been? Have you come back to your home then? Will you be staying?” Her hand shifted on her dress, continuing to hold the fabric but change to a more comfortable position. The other stretched out toward him in greeting, shaking the one he’d held toward her. Her long slender fingers slid slowly into his palm, brushing against his rough skin, warm under hers. Moving her thumb back and forth, she rubbed the side of his hand, “It’s been too long,” she smiled, her eyes watched his.

Catching herself, she pulled her hand quickly back, and began smoothing her wild hair. “I had to leave, I think you were right… Sunberth was not for me. I… I could feel it trying to change me, instead of the other way around. I’d hoped that wouldn’t happen… but that city… it.. gets a hold of you and doesn’t like to let go.” A pained smile crossed her face, sadness flashed behind her eyes briefly, trying not to remember why she’d left. Glancing down, her lashes brushed her cheeks. She looked back to him, trying to mask the sadness that threatened. Fire didn’t want to be sad at that moment, it was a happy chance that she’d run into him and she didn’t want to ruin it.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 23rd, 2015, 4:47 pm

As he approached, she only seemed to glow and blossom further, increasing the warmth he was feeling. Maybe it was Syna, maybe his profession change, the money jingling in his purse. The day was becoming one of the best Pulren could remember in some time. Or was it Palaren? His smile increased and he joined in the chuckle, though his was for a different reason. She was probably the only person who didn't know that he wasn't Palaren Marshall. Well, the only person who mattered. Maybe he would play the game a little longer. He was on West Street after all.

"How could I forget you? The memories of that warm day in the water made the cold Winter that much more tolerable." She took his hand, the rub of the thumb not lost on the man. "I've been well. I was very glad to return home to Zeltiva. It's always good to go home again after adventures. I certainly didn't expect to see you again, but I won't make the mistake of losing you again." It was a little heavy handed of a comment, but after all of the hell he had been through, he was ready for a little piece of heaven. It had been too long, indeed. He reluctantly pulled his hand away, eying her before looking down the length of West Street.

He listened to her recounting of the madness of Sunberth, nodding with sympathy. "Yes, Sunberth sucks. Let's be glad to have left it." He placed his hand on her shoulder. "So, what brings you to Zeltiva? I'm heading to the general store to make a few purchases. Care to join me?" He really didn't want to talk about the city of anarchy. He didn't even want to think about it.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Firenze on June 25th, 2015, 4:32 pm

He spoke of not being able to forget her, Fire’s eyes flashed and flew to his face. A new feeling blossomed in her chest but she couldn’t put her finger on what it was. Comfort? A feeling of belonging? She wasn’t sure, but she liked it. He spoke of the day she’d just been thinking of when she’d spotted him. Her wide smile crept across her face again. Eyebrows rose as he finished speaking, he wanted to keep her around! The unknown feeling shifted in her chest, threatening to take root and a thought popped into her head, What happens to you if you go down the same path as last time? Remember your bondmate? You were closer to him… be careful.

She didn’t want to listen to that voice, she wanted to trust Palaren. Unfortunately, the thought had come and doubt seated itself right next to the unfamiliar feeling, threatening to push it out. Fire had to admit that in some aspect it was right, she didn’t want to be hurt again. Caution was the key with everything wasn’t it? That thought made her heart sad, she didn’t want to have to second guess everything. Couldn’t it just be as it appeared? Could he be as he appeared? She wasn’t. In a roundabout way, she’d lied to him, not telling him the whole truth. Yet… she didn’t know him fully either.

What if I get to know him and then see if he is trustworthy? Caution with a side of curiosity? That sounded plausible to her. He spoke again, breaking her thoughts, reminding her of Sunberth and asking why she was in Zeltiva. Unsure of really wanting to get into the mess of the reason, or the pain of it, she tried to decide what to tell him. Give a little trust to get a little trust, Fire.

His hand warmed her skin when he placed it on her shoulder, the hand that hand been fiddling with her hair she laid on top of his. “I am glad to have left,” she gave his hand a small pat a soft smile on her face. Head cocked to the side slightly, she still mulled over what she could share with him about why she’d come to Zeltiva.

“Well, there were some... things... that had happened that I wasn’t too proud of,” waving her hand as to brush off the why of it, “a person I knew had told me of Zeltiva once and I’d caught wind that Bitzer was taking a ship here… so… here I am! I haven’t gotten to see much of it so far, but what I’ve seen I really like,” She waved a hand around, her head following, eyes scanning the buildings as though they might confirm what she was saying.

“I’d love to join you, what are you shopping for?” Without even thinking about it she moved, coming to stand next to him. Slipping her arm through his, her hand resting on his bicep, the cloth of his shirt soft against her skin. Her head tipped to the side, looking at him from the corner of her eye, she smiled, “How do we get there?” Dirtying the bottom of her dress forgotten as she brought the other arm up and rested that hand on the other, ready to have him show her the store.

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 28th, 2015, 5:09 am

The rose bloomed at his remarks and his own chest seemed to expand. The day became warmer and brighter with each word from her lips.Besides her natural beauty, Pulren found her style of dress especially appealing. He couldn't remember the last woman he had seen in a dress, especially in Summer. Most of the women he knew wore utilitarian garb for ease of movement. Most of the women he knew were killers, so that explained that. She was not, as far as he knew. She certainly didn't seem to wear it in her face, though she did look weary. He understood, feeling still as if he had never caught up the sleep he lost in Sunberth.

He was glad that she seemed alright with his touch, more so that she was also good with not speaking of Sunberth. The present was suiting Pulren just fine, especially in exquisite company. He listened to her as she spoke, his brow furrowing a bit at her tale. Bitzer. A ship. Zeltiva. She was on the boat that the Scars had escaped on. How had he missed her? Sure, he spent most of the time coming back asleep or drunk, but still how could he miss a whole person? Especially this one. He chose not to share that information for the time being. He liked the good feeling they were sharing and wanted to keep it going.

Her silken skin brushed his as her arm slid next to his own. It was official: He had company for the day. He could definitely smell her now. It wasn't soap or perfume, yet it wasn't dirt. It was just a particular aroma that came from Fire that definitely stoked his own. He almost forgot to speak, his whole body awakening to her presence. " The general store. Nothing too fancy, but I definitely need to make some purchases. Things for my home, maybe some clothes. I usually buy flashy clothes from high end dealers but most things are just as well purchased from a general store. Mizas don't come easy, right?"

They walked down the street and his posture straightened. He was proud to have her on his arm. It was a thing Pulren Marsh had never experienced. Usually he just dropped coin at Loveless. This was a totally different situation.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Firenze on June 29th, 2015, 12:17 am

Her arms rested gently on his as they made their way through town, she didn’t know where the general store was but it would help her to find out, incase she needed items or supplies in the future. He mentioned getting some items for his home and some clothes. New clothes she could definitely use. Items for a home? Not so much.

She didn’t really have a home to go to, a season of roughing it was taking a serious toll on her and she’d had a couple close encounters. She’d managed to hide in a small cave that she’d found, but she wasn’t going to be able to make it much longer. A home sounded nice, it made her long for the shack that was falling apart in Sunberth. It hadn’t been much but it had been a place that she knew she could go to every night.

She sighed softly and glanced out to the bay as they walked, the sun was beginning to cast a multitude of colors across the sky. Watching the water move between the buildings as they walked she agreed, “Mizas don’t come easy, sadly.” Her eyes turning back to him, she watched him as they walked, letting him lead the way. She wondered for a moment where he might live, “You have a home here then? Where at? If you don't mind my asking... you don't have to tell me if you don't want.” Would he trust her to tell her? If he did, then maybe she could trust him with her thoughts and secrets, possibly.

The building came into view and she could tell which one it was from the distance they were at. They still had a little bit of time left to talk but not as much as she would have liked. Slowing her pace just a little, she tried to make more time before they reached the store. Would he leave once they were there and he’d gotten what he needed? She hoped not. It’d been too long and she wanted to catch up.

Her hand that was resting on top rubbed his arm, his skin was tanned and she wondered what it might be from, the hairs were soft and becoming light from the sun, “Tell me about your home.” Her eyes stayed on his arm as they walked and she continued lightly brushing at the hair almost idly.

The store progressively got closer and she looked up to see how much further. A few people that were going about their daily business walked by and they stared at her and Palaren. Her brow rose and she watched them until they passed. What was that about?

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on June 29th, 2015, 7:44 am

The warmth of Syna's touch reflected from the bricks of the buildings only added to the warmth Pulren felt from the lady on his arm. He could hear the sadness in her voice when she mentioned the lack of easy mizas. He felt for her. The thought crossed his mind that she might be feeling him out for his ability to pay for things. Was she lean because of hunger? Her next questions of his home increased this curiosity, though he didn't feel as if he needed to be on guard like he may have in Sunberth. Zeltiva was home. He felt enough confidence that he could manage one girl.

"Yeah. It's over in the Old Quarter. It's not the largest place, but I have it outfitted nicely with the creature comforts I have become accustomed to." This was as much truth as Palaren banter. Mercenary money had fueled any of his shopping sprees and today was no different. Sure, the money had actually come from his pay as a Guard, but in his mind, he was always a mercenary. Now it was just official. Her hand brushed over his arm and with each pass of her hand, his concerns melted away. "Well, not much to tell. I purchased some fine furniture when I was working in Sunberth and brought it back with me when I returned last season. All of the cottages are about the same size, so it's a tight fit, but it's comfortable enough. Where are you staying?"

As they entered, he noticed a few sideways glances at the pair from people. He suspected the men were jealous and it only invigorated him further. The store was a standard of Zeltiva, its curtains made of sails and its interior very clean and packed floor to ceiling with standard fare for the common man. As Pulren had been the common man for most of his life, he was known there, so he hoped no one would call him by his name. He noticed a clerk , one he didn't recognize. Not a big surprise, since they changed often at the store. he was only a few years younger than Pulren, short blond hair and pale skin. The clerk also couldn't help but be struck by Fire's presence, which caused Pulren to give a little snap with his fingers to bring the lad back to the matter at hand.

Reluctantly sliding free of her arm's embrace, he looked to Fire. "Have a look around. If you see something you like or need, pick it out." he looked to the clerk and nodded. The young man nodded to Fire in a pleasant way, his look lingering a little too long. Pulren decided to keep him busy with orders instead. "I need tools and rope. Also, do you have locks here?" The pair walked off into a corner of hardware, leaving Firenze to browse as she liked.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Firenze on June 30th, 2015, 3:17 am

He told her of his home, it was in the Old Quarter. She knew that it was nice over in that area but she didn’t know it well enough to know where his home might be. It didn’t bother her, she just was curious what kind of man he was. Curiosity always seemed to get the better of her sometimes. His creature comforts that he’d mentioned had her wondering what someone like him would consider as comfort. A soft pillow? A nice chair? She’d only seen a few places and of those places it was hard for her to picture what he might enjoy at his place.

He mentioned fine furniture and the thought of The Touchy Subject came to mind. She couldn’t picture him in that setting. Not that it was bad, just that he generally appeared calm and seemed like her. Someone who enjoyed the fresh air instead of a stuffy room. Though she could be wrong on these thoughts, that was her general feeling of him. Perhaps when I get to know him better I can see if we are that much alike?

Her head came up and looked at him as he asked of where she was staying. What could she tell him? That she’d been living just outside the city, hiding from anything in the woods that was trying to kill her in a hole in the side of a hill? It hadn’t really bothered her until now. She wanted him to think better of her. Sure, she loved the wilderness, she felt close to the earth when she hunted, but she wanted to be more than that. Wanted to become something. Becoming older and living so far away from the place she grew up in she felt… lost.

Sure she’d managed to save some mizas but could she really afford to stay in a tavern as she had before? Did she want to? Memories haunted her in the stuffy rooms, with their stifling hearths and cramped quarters. Pacing didn’t even help to relieve the anxiety. In the wild she had to constantly be on guard but she slept better, when she slept. Would he think lesser of her if she didn’t live as others in society did?

He had trust her and told her of his place, maybe she could trust him and he wouldn’t judge to harshly. Fire decided to speak the truth and let him take it as he wanted. “I’m sure my living quarters aren’t as lavish as yours but I have a small cave on the outskirts of the city that I’ve been calling my home. I’ve set it up quite nice and there’s a stream that’s nearby that has freshwater. That’s my favorite part.” She smiled softly, “Maybe I can show you sometime and you can teach me to swim some more?” Her eyes lit up at the thought, excited that she’d come up with the idea and that it might give her reason to spend some more time with him. She’d been on her own for awhile and having someone to talk to was so rare that she wanted to keep him around.

They entered the shop and she started, shelves were littered with items and there was furniture on display. The thing that caught her eye the most was how clean it was. The stark contrast between the market in Sunberth and the general store was like night and day. A large smile came across her face, teeth flashed and her eyes scanned every nook and cranny of the store, trying to take everything in.

Still on Palaren’s arm, he led them to the clerk. Fire went to looking at the items on the counter near them but her attention was pulled back as Palaren snapped his fingers. She glanced from his hand to the clerk, slightly confused. Maybe the clerk was dumb or deaf? Palaren slid his arm out from hers, she dropped them to her sides, feeling the loss of his warmth on her skin. He told her to look around and then said something she’d not been expecting. He told her to pick something out. For what? Her cave? Before she could protest he’d turned his attention back to the clerk and she felt as though she’d been dismissed.

Pride swelled in her chest for a moment, arguing against him purchasing anything for her but then she paused. What if he was asking her to help him pick out items for his place? That made more sense to her than the latter. Furniture in a cave? Her mouth turned up at the corner for even having the thought.

Glancing at him again, his attention elsewhere, she moved around the store. It was growing darker in the store as the sun had almost set, the lanterns above her glowed softly. The glass display cases near her almost twinkled with the light bouncing and reflecting off them. Her finger touched the glass softly as she moved slowly, inspecting the items. Walking through the tight spaces she came across bolts of fabrics and let herself touch the corners of each. Feeling the fabrics, some soft and silky others tough and leathery. Her favorites were a soft golden color, another a deep red, she wondered if she could find someone to make her some clothes from some of the bolts that she found beautiful.

Her feet moved her over to a bunch of barrels sitting on the floor and they were flowing with different foods, jars of pickled items sat on counters and her stomach threatened to growl. She walked quickly away from that area and over to a shelf with lanterns. Some were fine glass bottoms with delicate glass tops, a fat wick sitting in oil in the middle. Fiddling with the knob on the side she entertained herself for a moment moving the wick up and down.

There was so much stuff in the store Fire had no idea what Palaren might want or need. He’d said that he was looking for fine furniture. She tried to think of what that might entail as she approached a spot with a tall dark chest of drawers, a couple of fat sitting chairs and some side tables. Her fingers ran along the smooth wood of the drawers, then rested on the back of the chair as she turned to sit in it and test it. Her rear plunked onto the hard surface, the cloth giving the false illusion of comfort. Too hard. Sitting in the next chair she sank slightly, it was much more comfortable. Rubbing the arm of the chair, the fabric was not exactly eye pleasing, a somewhat… booger-ish color.

Sighing, she got up and went back to Palaren, still looking around trying to find something he might like, yet still unsure as she didn’t know his preferences. A fat little candle caught her eye and her path redirected. In the corner on the other side of the store were candles of all sizes, shapes and colors. A tall stand, with delicate metal work depicting flowers and curls had a particularly plump and tall red candle sitting on it. That could light a whole room without making it stuffy! Looking at the top there were multiple wicks and she felt that proved her point.

This time she called his name softly and tried to wave him over to look at what she’d found and see if he might like it for his house. Her hand up in front of her waist she tried to not disturb the clerk as she waved Palaren over. Just above a whisper she tried to catch his attention, “Pal, hey. What do you think about this?”

Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on July 2nd, 2015, 3:07 am

Having the clerk's full attention, Pulren walked with him through the hardware section. It wasn't as well lit as the other parts, as those who sought tools and the like knew what they wanted without much fuss. " I am probably going to need delivery back to the house. I probably don't have enough for all of my purchases here, but if you'll bring it down, I can pay the rest when we get there." The young man eyed Pulren suspiciously for just the briefest of moments before taking out a small pencil and a book from his apron. "Very well, Sir. How much can you pay now?" Taking a small feel of his coin bag, he guessed at it. "I probably have forty or so golden mizas on me." Without a thought he passed the bag over to the clerk, an action which raised an eyebrow and had him calling one of the others over.

Rubbing at his stubble, Pulren walked through the tight aisles of the store, pointing at the items he wanted. "I need a coil of hemp rope, a hammer, two pounds of nails. One of these barrels." He walked up and inspected one of the barrels. They were all in excellent repair, freshly crafted as far as Pulren could tell. "Did you say you had locks?" The clerk continued writing and nodded, talking as he began to walk. Pulren followed him as they approached the front counter. "We have a few standard locks. Average quality with keys.The locks are forty and the keys are twenty." Nodding, Pulren said, "I'll take one and two keys as well." Couldn't hurt to have a backup. Looking over at Fire, he felt a pang of guilt for leaving her to her own devices, especially as she had seemed so happy to join him.

He excused himself and stepped over to her as she was pointing out a decorative stand with a large candle inside. He liked the aesthetic of it and nodded emphatically. "Can we get this as well?" The clerk and one of his coworkers began gathering the items so far. Pulren thought back to himself. She could probably use a candle in a cave.

A cave.

He just stood there for a moment, looking like one of the unfortunates who came out of the Scholar's Asylum back when that was in existence. Placing his hand on her shoulder, he looked into Fire's eyes. "Did you say you lived in a cave? Did I just hear that?" If she truly had to resort to living in a cave, Pulren would invite her back to his home immediately. How could she...it just didn't make sense. Surely he had misheard her." Looking back at the clerk who was approaching him with his little book, Pulren asked about two other things that jumped into what was left of his reasoning faculties. "Bird cage? I need one. Also, body building equipment." The clerk made some scratches and notes, putting his hand up to interrupt Pulren.

"Sir, we have varying sets of equipment, depending on price and..." Pulren just waved him off. "Just your best. And let's tally up and get ready to go, please. "The dismissal didn't seem to bother the clerk one bit, having been given license to gather the most expensive set of body building equipment imaginable. No, Pulren's mind was still fixated on Fire's previous response and whatever her next one would be. "Fire, if you live in a cave, you have to come home with me. I just can't let you live in a cave. No way."

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next