question about wiki/lore

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

question about wiki/lore

Postby Karin on July 10th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Hello!
I'm thinking about a character who's mother is Svefran (Svefrian? Svefra..?) living inland, and who's step-father is an Isurian: are these two races too different to have found a life together?
Also: what would the Svefran people (in general) think about a woman who abandoned the sea and took her 2 year old child with her to live inland away from the pod? And what about when that estranged child comes back to the sea?

Thank you in advance! :D

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Alea Davenport on July 11th, 2015, 3:26 am

I am not extremely familiar with the Svefra, but I'll do my best to help you out.

Based on what I glean from the Svefra lore page, my guess is this:
It would take some form of extreme circumstance for a Svefra to leave the Sea (though it's not impossible). Would she be leaving voluntarily, or did something happen that caused the matriarch to cast her out?

If she did go inland, there are Isur who travel outside of Sultros, and it's conceivable they could have met up somewhere (Though, how far "inland" is inland? Seems to me there are plenty of port towns that might serve your purposes).

As for taking the two-year-old, given that Svefra children are raised communally, she probably would have had to steal it from them, so I imagine they would be peeved. They would probably welcome the child back with open arms, however (as long as the child's eyes are blue, of course. Children with non-blue eyes are thrown overboard though, so it probably wouldn't have survived for two years if that were the case).

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your backstory, please feel free to PM me :)
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Karin on July 11th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Alea Davenport wrote:I am not extremely familiar with the Svefra, but I'll do my best to help you out.

Based on what I glean from the Svefra lore page, my guess is this:
It would take some form of extreme circumstance for a Svefra to leave the Sea (though it's not impossible). Would she be leaving voluntarily, or did something happen that caused the matriarch to cast her out?

If she did go inland, there are Isur who travel outside of Sultros, and it's conceivable they could have met up somewhere (Though, how far "inland" is inland? Seems to me there are plenty of port towns that might serve your purposes).

As for taking the two-year-old, given that Svefra children are raised communally, she probably would have had to steal it from them, so I imagine they would be peeved. They would probably welcome the child back with open arms, however (as long as the child's eyes are blue, of course. Children with non-blue eyes are thrown overboard though, so it probably wouldn't have survived for two years if that were the case).

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your backstory, please feel free to PM me :)

Thank you for your reply!
Well, the mother I'm angling towards being almost mentally unhinged in some way, so she is feeling completely unlike a normal Svefra person. The reason she would leave the pod is her falling in love with and Isur person, and yes she would steal her child away.
I'd say that she would run away to a port town, and then be too anxious because I'm thinking about giving her a negative oceanus gnosis...
So.. hopefully that makes sense? And thank you for the feedback again :)

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Gillar on July 12th, 2015, 5:49 pm

Some things you may also want to keep in mind regarding the Isur; one meeting place could be the Southern Trading Post where there are a small population of isur who engage in trade and overall protection of the area. It is located on the southern border of Sultros and is a comparatively short distance from a very small port on the Suvan. The isur at the post are a little more open to humans than the rest of the kingdom. That being said, only clans Sultros, Vizerian and Coglias would even come close to being open to the idea of hooking up with a non-isur. Of those, the Sultros clan would have the least constraints.

It is only recently (past 2-3 years) that the three clans I mentioned began to become a bit more open in their attitudes toward outsiders, more specifically, humans. Thus having an isur as a step-father, that isur would likely be something of an outcast who wouldn't be all that welcome if he were to return to Sultros. They don't take kindly to intermingling between isur and humans.

It would indeed take a lot for a Svefra to leave the sea just as it would take a lot for an Isur to leave Sultros. Neither is impossible, it would just require, as Alea put it, extreme circumstances, to bring them both together.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Karin on July 13th, 2015, 12:37 pm

@Gillar,
Thank you for your reply! Yes, that makes sense. I wasn't sure when I was reading the lore page just how wary/disliking of humans the Isur were/are, but you've cleared that up for me. I was kind of figuring out that the step-father would be an outcast, but I suppose he wouldn't be at all welcome in the main citadel at all, would he? My main reason I wanted the family to be so far inland was so that my pc could have an interesting roleplaying journey across the country, but even just a small journey from one port around the sea or something would be good too. Is there a place or thread where I could find a more 'zoomed in' map of Mizahar at all? You don't have to link it to me :)
Thank you!

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Gillar on July 13th, 2015, 2:02 pm

An isur who has abandoned the traditions of any of the following, race, clan, family, will be considered an outcast. How bad the reactions of other isur are toward said individual depends on the severity of the the transgression. One who leaves their home for the sake of intermingling in "inappropriate" ways with a human, may be able to access their clan citadel however they would be seen as less than a true isur and treated no better than non-isur. Going too far inland from the outer border of Kalea would mean certain death to most new characters.

Also, the overwhelming majority of the Kalea Region, The Unforgiving, is inhospitable to all but the greatest survivors. That is why most of the human cities are located on the outskirts of the region. The only reason the Kingdom of Sultros is able to flourish in the heart of Kalea is because of the great strength and patience of the isur combined with their primary means of travel being underground tunnels.

There are a number of maps for Mizahar located in lore. Also, individual cities and regions will have map threads that may give more detail.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

question about wiki/lore

Postby Karin on July 13th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Aah! I understand. I think I may have been greatly underestimating the ferocity of the environment. In that case, I think I will find a town near to the coast in which to base my character.

In regards to the step-father, he story was roughly this: in his 'early' years he went out of the main citadel because he wanted to be away from other Isur (which I know is unusual behaviour), but in later years regrets this and wishes to form a family and maintain Isurian ideals, but with his Svefran partner. (Musing to myself) Maybe then he is still an outcast but he has his family with him so he's okay with it?

Anyway, I'll figure something out. Thank you again for your comments and replies, and I'll make sure to search out the maps!

Karin

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)