PM to join A Book By Any Other Name [Clyde Sullins]

Clyde gifts to Light a book for a price.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

A Book By Any Other Name [Clyde Sullins]

Postby Bartholomew on July 25th, 2015, 1:28 am

“Wrote, past tense, I did that like... A year ago?" Clyde said nonchalantly. Light raised both brows to this mage, both surprised and excited that he had actually written a book. "I don't know, it was awhile back. But its a book about Reimancy, not instructing in its specific usage. Anyone can think up specific spells, wave their hands and chant words. But knowing how to use it, the proper thought processes and such, a understanding of the magic itself, that's far more difficult.”

Light nearly jumped with excitement. This book which Clyde spoke of was more than the answer to Light's prayers. He barely knew a lot about reimancy, nor did he believe that he even understood its concept. This book, which Clyde spoke of as though it was another object, could be his guiding bible.

“I usually keep a copy with me." Clyde waved towards his bag, and Light looked with an innocent child's smile slowly forming with his lips. "I've probably got one of the few copies I made in my things. Though if you want more examples of spells to try, or other such hand holding, I believe you'd find the book disappointing.”

Light shook his head, knowing that he would not dare to ask for magical spells from a man like Clyde. Clyde didn't seem like much of a hand holding mage. Light thought of him more as a teacher that allowed his student to solve his own problems after teaching a little of them. It was the same thought he had with his father, who would rather tell Light how to swim then throw him into the deepest waters.

"May I look upon one of your copies contents?" Light asked, waiting for that moment where Clyde says yes so that he could stare at the informational book.
Bartholomew
Player

Words: 98215
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2015, 3:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 25th, 2015, 1:53 am

As he spoke Clyde casually picked up another leaf, setting it in the palm of his hand which sat face up.

Even with his partial attention placed on Light, it was clear the initiate mage was excited by the concept of Clyde's book. Clyde had spent a good bit of time observing people, their faces, interrogating people and finding truth, and so he tended to pick up on certain things rather easily.

With Light's reaction little of that was required, it being painted so obviously.

Clyde of course was interested in his interest, though knew to play it off. He was also versed in negotiation, and knew one got more when the person didn't show what they knew. So he played the calm talker, keeping his face passive as he spoke and went on, as if he wasn't aware of Light's interest.

When he asked to look at the book hidden in his pack, oh so predictably Clyde thought to himself, Clyde smiled and said simply “No.”

Exuding a tiny bit of res, a small wafting of the gas out of his palm, Clyde willed the res to move in a pair of sweeping arcs circling over and over. Not in a sphere, but in a pair of circles, with the point where the two circles met being were the leaf laid.

With another exertion of his will, a tiny bit of it, he willed the res to begin attracting air. At first the leaf fluttered, then in another moment it rose, hovering a few inches above Clyde's palm and bobbing slowly little fractions of an inch up and down, closer and farther from his palm in turn.

The two tiny wind streams were cycles, coming up underneath the leaf at each end, It would come up, brush around and past out outward from the leaf, pushing it up, and then swoop around and back under.

Occasionally the leaf would tilt towards one of the streams more than the other, making Clyde alter the force of the stream of attracted airs intensity for a bit. Sometimes it would tip over, away from Clyde and his hand, or towards him and his body, and he would widen or narrow one of the streams push in response, forcing it back in the opposite direction.

After a few cycles of this Clyde got a good feel for what was needed, a good rhythm, and was able to keep the leaf more or less steady after about a chime as the wind cycled and pushed over and over again.

After his pause as he did his magic, Clyde finally spoke.

“Why would I let you peruse it? Why would one buy a cow, if the farmer gave away the milk for free? You may not see it, as it is mine. But if you purchase it from me, and it is yours, and yours alone, you may have it and do so to your hearts content.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bartholomew on July 26th, 2015, 1:42 am

“No,” Clyde said with a smile. Light tried hard to hide his disappointment, but it was written all over his face. “Why would I let you peruse it? Why would one buy a cow, if the farmer gave away the milk for free? You may not see it, as it is mine. But if you purchase it from me, and it is yours, and yours alone, you may have it and do so to your hearts content.”

The boy let out maybe his third sigh of the day. Of course there is a price, he thought, there is always a price.

While Clyde showed his impressive skills with magic, Light walked over to where his things were and sat next to them. His back pack laid next to his sword, knife, and miniature crossbow. It was getting around the time were Light needed to eat. If he did not eat then he would most likely not be able to create any djed.

The crossbow he had just bought was in good condition, but he did not know how to use it. Learning would probably take up 5 bells and a half, using it to hunt would probably take up 3 bells, if on a good day for Light. He would not like to waste anymore time with this, for the longer he waited to eat then the more hungrier, and fatigued, he would become.

Light looked upon Clyde with a steel face, one his father wore every day. He had learned how to look when making a deal, like an unreadable man, which was what he looked like now. If one did not know Light, they would have sworn that Light was a cold and terrifying individual.

"And what is your price for a copy of your book?" Light asked with a monotonous voice. He did not ask whether the price was cash or services, or any other form of payment, leaving the air open for Clyde to choose which it would be.
Bartholomew
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 26th, 2015, 2:12 am

Clyde almost rolled his eyes at Lights oh so unsubtle attempt at negotiating a superior position.

In deal making, the first offer usually set the standard by which the rest of the negotiations went by. It also tended to show ones hand. Did one highly value what the other offered, or did one think too little of their own goods?

Both could tell much to a skilled negotiator. Because of this, one usually tried to make the other person be the first to make an offer.

Lights attempting at putting on a serious demeanor, of getting Clyde to go first in making an offer, both were not so subtle attempts at just such maneuvering. If Clyde had wanted to he could have put the onus onto Light, but he could tell if he did that the bantering would continue on for ages. Back and forth, but after bit, with little to show for it.

Clyde smiled and shook his face, clearly finding the man funny in his demeanor and actions, and not someone he took overly seriously.

“Ah, isn't that cute, mister serious pants, thinking himself serious as sleet in the street. Don't you know sleet melts? Its just frozen water.”

If that wasn't confusing and offputing enough, Clyde also chose that moment to fire off the leaf from his hand, sending it flying right at Light's face with a puff of air. It being a leaf it wouldn't be all that dangerous a projectile if it did hit.

“How about your soul? No? Fine... Favors. Three big, two small. Ones of my choosing, of a service or deed of my choosing, to be redeemed at a time of my choosing.”

If Light accepted Clyde's proposal, he'd wave for Light to go and get the book from his pack. Otherwise he'd continue negotiating with him. If, Clyde thought to himself, one could really call what Light was doing actual negotiation.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Bartholomew on August 17th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Clyde smiled and shook his head when he saw Light's negotiation skills. He then commenced to speak about sleet. He said something meaningful, Light knew, but he never got the chance to think on it as the man blew a gust of wind into his face.

Fuming, Light took the leaf that was pushed towards his nose and crushed it with one hand, anger obviously seeping from his eyes. If there is ever a moment when I am stronger than you, he thought. I will murder you brutally.

“How about your soul?" Clyde jested, or at lease Light took it as a jest. He quickly corrected himself and mentioned favors."Three big, two small. Ones of my choosing, of a service or deed of my choosing, to be redeemed at a time of my choosing.”

"Fine," Light agreed begrudgingly. "As long as it is within my power. You cannot ask me to to make a horse drink water if it doesn't want to. I'd rather kill it and make it drink its own blood." Light added the last bit with a smile.

If Clyde agreed to that, Light would move towards the book and quickly look through its pages. If Clyde wanted to haggle some more, Light would love to show this man how he handled a true negotiation.

OOCSorry it took me so long to reply. I suddenly had an unexpected busy few weeks. I'm back to post though!
Bartholomew
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 18th, 2015, 8:23 pm

The more Clyde saw of Light, the more he saw the same. An angry person. One who if he had the strength to do so, would use it against those he felt had done him wrong.

Not a good combination in a mage. Since while he didn't have the power now, some day he might. When giving a person any sort of info, particularly when teaching someone about magic, the instructor always had to be wary of how it would be used.

Would it be used to help people? Hurt them? In a selfless action? Or a selfish one? Would they abuse the power?

As Clyde got annoyed at times, he was in general a calm person, more or less laid back. Happy to let things come to him. Except when he wasn't.

But Light... Light seemed like he might be trouble. Even the small action of messing about and blowing a leaf at him had clearly angered the minor mage.

For a moment Clyde looked at the anger in the man's eyes, and considered snuffing the life out of him. It would take but a moment, and likely spare himself of much trouble down the line...

Clyde shook his head and sighed, attempting a somewhat disappointed expression in response to Light's actions and reactions, or at least likely seeming as the reason to an outward observer.

At the mans sudden attempt at darkness or a bold statement or something akin to attempting to approach those, said with a smile, Clyde did his best not to laugh. Even Lights attempts at that, Clyde thought to himself, were forced and not well done.

“Oh yes, you are Mr. Scary Wary. Ooh, making someone drink blood. Your just sad, you know that?”

Clyde paused for a moment, going from his mocking tone, to a more serious and annoyed one, a serious look in his eyes devoid of the slight hints of laughter moments ago.

“Toughen the petch up, and stop trying to be scary and "bad". You'll not impress anyone like that, least of all me. You think because we've come from Ravok that impresses me? A mage is a mage, he doesn't try to be a mage. He doesn't try to be, he is. And he certainly doesn't fly off the handle at the slightest perturbation. How am I to trust you with magic, when you can't even handle an insult. How are you gonna handle the serious stuff, when its life or death or other? If you fly off when that happens, you'll get more than a tongue lashing. If you'll even still be recognizable as you. Magic is serious stuff, not for someone with the emotional maturity of a five year old.”

“Now go fetch the petching book, before I change my mind, and take the deal back.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous