Reimancy + Para-Elements

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Zhol on February 19th, 2015, 8:49 pm

We were talking about para-elements in chat the other day, and unless the conversation carried on after I was gone, we couldn't manage to find a complete list of para-elements. Lava (fire+earth), lightning (fire+air), and ice (air+water) are pretty easy, and it sounded like steam/mist (fire+water) might have been another one that people have seen used.

Is there supposed to be a specific para-element for each combination (six in total), or is there more freedom for imagination than that - if you can conceptualise it as a product of two (or three?) elements, can that be a para-element?

Also, if I understand correctly, earth reimancy relates specifically to rock, which means that things like wood and metal fall outside the typical boundaries of reimancy. Is it possible that wood and/or metal might be a para-element (earth+water? earth+air?), or are these things deliberately outside the scope of reimancy for balance reasons/etc?

Is there any way to create/influence magnetism (via lightning/electricity, or some other magic?), or is magnetism a physics thing (like gravity/etc), that magic cannot replicate?

Thanks. :)
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Words: 710796
Joined roleplay: July 10th, 2014, 4:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Gossamer on February 19th, 2015, 9:13 pm

Wood is a life form. You cannot make a life form with Reimancy.

Metal is a para element.... fire + earth

Lightening is a para element of .... air + fire

There is not a complete list in the wiki because we invite creativity within reason.

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Zhol on February 19th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Perhaps it would be useful to make that clearer in the lore pages?

Like I mentioned, lava, lightning, and ice are easy to know about, because they're in the reimancy lore page... but so is a link to a para-elements wiki page that doesn't exist, which implies that there's meant to be a list / more explanation than is readily available. The fact that lava and metal are the same element combo isn't obvious either.

Creativity being invited is great, but given that this is a question that keeps popping up from time to time, perhaps that invitation should be more clearly stated in the places people are looking for answers. :)
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Gossamer on February 19th, 2015, 9:38 pm

I think its pretty clear in the lore pages, complete with examples and everything.

lots of things can be made from the same combinations of elements. Take air and water for example. You can make a zillion kinds of footings (quicksand, mud, mudslides, +fire got hotpots suddenly or lava with steam or acidic steam because earth such as lyme can be gassed then). I don't understand why we need to go in depth about para elements when they seem so obvious.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Zhol on February 19th, 2015, 10:02 pm

As I mentioned, the lore page mentions a few examples, and then proves a link to a page on para-elements that don't exist. That gives the impression that there is more to para-elements than meets the eye - and the fact that it's a question that does come up from time to time suggests that maybe it's not quite as clear to those who aren't in the know than it is to those who are.

All the article says is:

Reimancers may transmute the four natural elements: fire, water, air, earth. Since Res can be turned into any combination of the substances that the user can utilize, it is possible to craft para-elements such as lava (fire+earth), ice (water+air) and lightning (fire+air).

Note the link to an article that doesn't exist, which makes it seems like there is more explanation that hasn't been provided. There's also no mention that other combinations are possible - three examples are provided out of six possible combinations; there's nothing there to suggest that fire+earth might also create metal, or that there's freedom or wiggle room in there.

Not trying to be argumentative - just pointing out that maybe it's not quite as obvious as you're suggesting it is. Just appending "but many other combinations are possible" or something would make it considerably clearer that it's open to interpretation/imagination. :)
Zhol
Carry on, wayward son.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Oceane Fougere on August 5th, 2015, 2:57 pm

I know this is old and what not, but I was looking for the same thing as I would like to try Para-Elements after getting a better handle on my current Elements in the future. So this is what I came up with, although it may not be correct, it is 'food' for creativity on such matters at the very least.

Earth + Air= Sand Storm
Water + Air= Mist/Fog
Water + Earth= Mud/Quick Sand
Water + Fire= Steam
Fire + Earth= Metal

Also I thought once Para-Elements were formed you could use those in combination with other Para-Elements or Elements as well for instance:

Lightening + Sand = Glass (because when lightening strikes sand it forms a beautiful glass)
Earth + Lightening= Magnetism
Lightening + Ice= Crystal
Earth + Lava + Water= Gold (because is associated with volcanic rock)
Magma + Lightening + Earth + Air= Diamonds (Once again Diamonds are found in the mantle in a type of Magma)
Magma + Lightening + Air= Obsidian (Natural glass from molten magma)

Anyways, as I said this could all be wrong but it is just what my imagination came up with while thinking about Para-Elements, so when Gossamer said that it
I think its pretty clear in the lore pages, complete with examples and everything.
It is indeed clear and all it takes is a mind ready to be creative to form other examples on their own, instead of following set guidelines and rules, it is giving you the free ability to form Para-Elements (within reason) on your own. Which is unique and better then having to be stuck with what there is. Which the examples I listed may be incorrect it is just what I thought up. Of course I would seek out approval of learning such "Para-Elements" and such before attempting them, to make sure they are not too far-fetched in the creative department.

This is just my opinion and I am not "intelligent" when it comes to this or the Lore, but I felt like I should respond and bump this up in case other people like myself were searching for something about it. Welcoming anyone else who knows more about this, other then myself, to post a reply as well to say "OMG YOU ARE SO WRONG" or what have you. It would be good to know if I am "SO WRONG" That way when I go to do Para-Elements I will not humiliate myself in failure, too badly at least, hahahaha.

Cheers~~
Will Be Inactive for 60 Days.
Oceane Fougere
Player

Words: 20012
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2015, 5:09 pm
Character sheet

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Nightmare on August 6th, 2015, 8:27 am

Yo, just a quick point.
All those additional proposed paraelemental ideas are things you can accomplish with just plain earth reimancy. Gems, ore and stone are all things of the earth and fall under the domain of earth reimancy.

Also keep in mind that using earth reimancy to make rare gems or ore will always put the wielder into dangerous and severe overgiving.

Reimancy is an instinctual and artistic magic and creating specific forms of earth tend to be difficult without training in geology. So it might be an difficult task to train one's self just to make something against their personality or frame of mind.

The goal is to stray away from specific paraelemental constraints and let the user experiment and the writer to come up with new and interesting forms of mixing the elements.

In the future please refrain from necro'ing older threads. Better off asking your own questions in new threads.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Reimancy + Para-Elements

Postby Oceane Fougere on August 7th, 2015, 12:59 am

yo.. i did not know.. you could not post on threads of old.

Hahaha sorry felt like rhyming. :D

Anyway, I was not aware that you could not post on older threads I apologize it will not happen again! Thank you for the information that you provided. :)
Will Be Inactive for 60 Days.
Oceane Fougere
Player

Words: 20012
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2015, 5:09 pm
Character sheet