Dance & Music

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Dance & Music

Postby Savacea Jovellana on August 14th, 2015, 6:56 pm

I am currently Choreographing a dance for my PC Savacea to learn at One Foot in the Grave with Illistrid. It will be a contemporary lyrical style of dancing, with a little bit of Acro, but with that music is a major implement in the dance.

So I was wondering how that would work? I understand modern music would not sound the same, since the instruments are different. Though I was curious if I could use the song A Fine Frenzy-Almost Lover in the piece, yet it be stylized in a medieval genre of music. Perhaps the music is a vague mention?

In other words, the lyrics will be the same but with the lute and other Mizahar instruments or would that be against the rules? Each movement will be based off the words that are being sung by the singer, as it is an emotional piece of dance. So the words play a big part as well as the rhythm, as it sets the mood for the dance, the story that she is portraying. I just did not want to break any rules before I went full force with the dance, as I am only a fourth completed with it anyway.

If any of you have a clue as to what is accepted and is not, let me know I would be grateful. Hope my rambling made sense... Thank you! :D

Savacea Jovellana
Poisonous Dancer

Words: 239118
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2015, 11:11 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Dance & Music

Postby Ball on August 14th, 2015, 11:58 pm

I think that falls under the Plagarism sorta thing and is therefore illegal, but I am not sure entirely.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Dance & Music

Postby Cuicatl on August 15th, 2015, 12:41 am

It would fall under the realm of copyright infringement, not plagiarism. Mizahar songs should be standalone, although I've seen songs that are 'parodied' (and I use the term loosely) from real-world songs to fit the theme of Mizahar. I would suggest you do that.
Threads: 2/10
Cuicatl
the animal inside.

Words: 11129
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2014, 10:21 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Dance & Music

Postby Savacea Jovellana on August 15th, 2015, 6:38 am

See that was what I was thinking, copyright/plagiarism sort of thing. Although I was not claiming it as my own piece of work and only using it to set the mood, I was not sure if it would fall under those lines or not. Kind of how you put music on your CS to "set the mood" or "theme songs" for your characters, it was going to be along those lines except with it actually being played as she danced so I was confused.

Thank you Ball and Cuicatl for clearing that up, I suppose I will try and make my own music as well to portray what is being said through movement. I like putting visual and auditory examples in my writing, so perhaps I will just use the song for the "feels" and not integrate it into the writing, it will be just for the mood the dance is portraying, but not actually a part of the dance or mentioned in any way in the writing. ;)
Savacea Jovellana
Poisonous Dancer

Words: 239118
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2015, 11:11 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes