Flashback To Learn is to Grow

[Traverse]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Ayatah on August 7th, 2015, 5:37 pm

A sad disappointment washed over Ayatah, and for two distinct reasons. Firstly, the teacher had seen through her poorly disguised question far too easily. Though she felt no attachment or affection for the man who had fathered her, Aya had not expected his onetime partnering with her mother would have reflected badly on his societal stance. She equal parts insulted and saddened for him.

"Oh," she said, suddenly quite timid and at a loss of what else to say. His comment about her clan loving her did earn a small smile, though. He was right: the Scattered Bones had accepted Ayatah into their family as if she were a pureblood. Further than this, they allowed her to chase down that hunger for knowledge that Aya had clearly inherited from her paternal people.

She considered his request for any other questions for a tick. Then, frowning slightly, she asked: "my mother said that my father was very clever. Are Eypharians..." she paused, her hand tickling the air as she searched for a suitable word, "...[i]smart?[i]" she asked eventually, a little deflated at the anticlimax of her sentance. Just in case he needed further detail, she added, "she said that he was always writing things down in a book, anything anyone said. It quite annoyed her." Another little smile.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Traverse on August 17th, 2015, 2:08 pm

Filo tapped his chin, it was not a question he had quite been expecting, at least phrased in such a way, but he was beginning to understand the angle the young child was coming from, not entirely of learning, but of learning about her own self through each set of peoples that had birthed her.

"Eypharians are much more focused on cultivating one's mind than Myrians, while you get general schooling, and the people of Taloba consider it important, many Eypharians are life long scholars travelling and constantly pursuing knowledge, they may be rather self-involved, but they consider learning anything and everything quite important. I can only imagine your father was as fascinated by Myrian culture as I am." He gave a wry smile, and sat down upon a worn wooden bench, rolling up the scrolls thoughtfully. After a moment he glanced, brow furrowed at Ayatah, then asked her a question of his own.

Are you familiar with the Goddess of Knowledge and Wisdom, Eyris?"

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Ayatah on August 18th, 2015, 2:42 pm

For the first time since her meeting with Filo, Aya found herself growing jealous of her Eypharian brethren. Not that she would ever admit it, of course. But perhaps the girl's quiet reaction betrayed her real thoughts: her brow furrowed and lips pouted out like the sullen child she had suddenly become. She longed for her mind to be cultivated more than she had ever wanted anything before! And yet as a Myrian child, she was denied this. Had she been born to an Eypharian mother, Aya would have probably received a more scholastic teaching, even if she were a second-class citizen because of her mixed heritage (which was not all that difficult for her to imagine).

These thoughts, considered blasphemous to her Myrian peers, swirled around her young mind. She felt like she was drowning amongst this new knowledge, and as much as she appreciated it, it was all slightly overwhelming.

But... pleasantly so, in a strange way.

Which is why it took Ayatah just a fraction longer to respond to Filo's question than it would have otherwise done. "I-- No." She replied with some difficulty, a frown knotting her brows together. Eyris was not a Goddess that the Myrian people worshipped, though given her title, she was of a new interest to the young half-breed. "Who is she? She sounds..." Aya briefly licked her lips, and for lack of a better word, finished with, "pretty interesting."

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Traverse on August 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm

The man gave a smile, settling himself in for an explanation. "Interesting is by far a great understatement when held against the wisdom and insight of Eyris."

He folded one hand upon the other and then began. "Eyris is a truly ancient Goddess, and is the source of wisdom and knowledge. She has no great allies or enemies amongst other Deities, for she is an impartial entity in the midst of their struggles for power and control. She merely divines the truth about the world, and has deep and overwhelming insight into the world of Mizahar. Those who gain her attention can be bestowed a mark called Lykata which allows one to touch objects and discern feelings, senses, and knowledge about it, the more marks one has the deeper and more intense the knowledge you can discern becomes."

Filo ran his fingers over the rough wood of the table. "The Myrians have a very expansive pantheon, encompassing mostly Goddesses, but many deities in general, yet there are many they barely even have names for, Eyris is one such of these, and a fitting entity for you I feel." He scratched the bridge of his nose, interested to see the half breeds response and thoughts on the matter.

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Ayatah on August 24th, 2015, 8:35 pm

"So... someone blessed by Eyris would be able to learn things just by touching something?" Ayatah repeated slowly, unable to conceal the wonder and excitement in her voice. What an amazing gift! She was desperately envious of anyone blessed by Eyris, and Aya eyed up Filo with a suspicious eye. Did he wear the Goddess' gift? Her thirst for knowledge was one that she constantly struggled to quench, but the ability to absorb knowledge through touch would certainly help!

She knew how she should react to the idea of this new deity: Eyris is nothing compared to Myri, the Queen of my people and warrior-Goddess. And yet truthfully, Ayatah felt all too amazed to even pretend to act like a good little Myrian girl. For want of something to look at other than Filo's patient face, Ayatah glanced around the room, drinking in the scrolls and papers that littered his desktop. She wondered how much knowledge and information was locked away in those papers. A pocket of wisdom and genius tucked away in the middle of the jungle.

"That's amazing." The young half-Eypharian whispered, suddenly quite breathless and exhausted at the sheer wonder of Eyris and her gift, "she must be amazing." But then something unexpected happened: Aya shrunk away, her confidence appearing to dissolve into nothingness. There were a great many scholars in this world - that she knew from her books - and those people were far more worthy of Eyris' attention than her. She was little more than a curious child who was struggling to find her place in the world. "I suppose Eyris has never been to the jungle before." She muttered, clearly quite dejected over this fact.

Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Traverse on August 25th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Filo chuckled. "The Goddess of Wisdom would not shun one spot on Mizahar, I am sure she has had her dealings with Myri, and knows all about the jungles of Falyndar, second only to Caiyha herself."

He leaned forward. "However, Eyris is the type to look for that thirst for knowledge, and a keen insight in her followers, and you will not learn all you can by remaining here, however blasphemous it may seem to say." He smiled and leaned back. "Hrm, I believe I overstepped my bounds just then, perhaps we should bring this learning session to a close...unless you have any other questions for me?"

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Ayatah on October 30th, 2015, 11:16 am

His words bought a wash of relief to Ayatah. Eyris would not ignore her merely because of her race. Thank Myri, the girl thought with a reverent dip of her head, completely missing the irony in her acknowledgment of the Goddess-Queen in this instance.

But Filo’s next words were a shock, something that Ayatah had never even imagine she would hear. ”Leave the jungle?” She said faintly, her dark eyes frantically searching the older man’s face for any sign of humour at what must have been a joke. ”I can ‘t do that.”

But her mother had. Paira of the Scattered Bones left Taloba in her twenty-second year, and had remained out there for all four seasons. When she returned, she was heavy with child, with Ayatah. It had been acceptable for her mother to leave because there was no doubting Paira’s loyalty and blood. Even when she had returned pregnant, her fierce devotion to her unborn child had bene admired, regarded as typically and wholly Myrian.

Aya would never have that luxury. If she left their holy city of bones, people were merely shake their head and say things like ‘I told you so’ and ‘She was never pure, that one’. No, it was pointless to even consider it.

And yet, all Ayatah could think of was the world beyond her home. A tiny start of a smile began to pull on her lips, and when Ayatah next spoke, she did so with a hopeful and excited voice. ”The only question I have is…” She swallowed, preparing herself to finally step over that blasphemous mark, ”How much do boats to Riverfall cost?”

oocThank you for this thread, Taverse!
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

To Learn is to Grow

Postby Traverse on November 9th, 2015, 2:20 am

The man had seen a mixture of emotions go through the half-Myrian girl this day. He had witnessed an intense curiosity, mixed with her knowledge that she should not long for knowledge of the world outside Falyndar as she did. However she may feel about her mixed heritage, it gave the scholar a sense of pride to see her two sides warring as they did, already having an inkling of which side was winning.

When she asked how much boat far cost to Zeltiva, Filo laughed long and hard, a tear coming to his eye at the exertion. "Oh, little Ayatah, it costs a fair bit more that I suspect you can afford at the moment, but someday, when you are ready, I am sure it will be within your grasp."

He reached out a hand towards her, and shook her appendage gently. "I know that for many years you will not understand this, but your mixed blood is a gift. It may seem that by not being purely Eypharian or Myrian you can never truly belong to either world, but I think you will have a unique perspective and understanding of the world from where you sit, Ayatah. Not belonging is not as much of a curse as it seems." He smiled to her, then began to fold up the scrolls and papers, turning away from her and allowing her exit from a scholarly pursuit into the Myrian realm.

Experience:

• Deduction 2
  • Investigation 3
  • Philosophy 2
  • Rhetoric 3
  • Socialization 5
  • Stealth 1

Lore:

• Filo: An Odd Human Scholar Somehow Surviving In Taloba
  • The Mind's Eye: The Source of Barbarian Knowledge Amidst Taloba
  • Eypharians: Descended from the Union of a River Spirit and Human
  • Ekytol: The Desert Region Within Mizahar
  • Ahnatep: Eypharian City Within Ekytol that Survived the Valterrian
  • Eypharians: Can be Combat Oriented, Multipl Arms lending to Dual Wielding Practices
  • East Winds: A Noble Family Within Ahnatep
  • Bloodlines: An Important Aspect of Eypharian Culture
  • Eypharians: Capable of Possessing 4 or 6 Arms Depending on their Bloodlines
  • Eypharians Similar to Myrians in Several ways: Believing in Purity, Descended from Deities, Prideful
  • Eyris: Goddess of Wisdom and Knowledge
  • Lykata: Gnosis Bestowed by Eyris, Giving the Bearer the Ability to Touch Objects and Discern Knowledge and Feelings From them.

Additional Notes :
This was quite the enjoyable thread. It was fun giving a bit of personality to Filo, who hasn't gotten much since his creation, as well as seeing the very beginnings of Aya's curiosity blossom, hopefully encouraged in later years by this very encounter. If there was any experience or lores you felt I missed or wanted re-phrased let me know!

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous