Solo Stay Calm And Smite Yasi With Knowledge

Bran teaches some more

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Stay Calm And Smite Yasi With Knowledge

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 30th, 2015, 1:06 pm

Day 80 of Summer 515AV
The Fighting Pits

“Alright, you know what to do,” Brandon said, rubbing his hands together as soon as the whole bunch of yasi had assembled. “Five sets, all of you,” he confirmed, having raised the number of exercises from four to five. There was a bit of groaning and grumbling coming of the small group, but that was the most complaining they ever did. When it came to the warming up that is. As usual, Brandon joined it too, counting out loud and dictating the rhythm they had to stick to. Or had to try to stick to anyway. The crunches and squats were over soon, and then only the push-ups were left, the bat having saved them until the end in his benevolent mood today.

Without too much effort, the thief swung into a handstand and began bending his arms, lowering his face, then pushing it up again. Being a showoff had not done him much good; after a couple classes, the yasi had managed to make him promise he'd do handstand push-ups instead of regular ones. They said it was because they thought it was awesome, and only too late the bat had realized they were also a lot more tiring. Well, not at first, but when he'd started increasing the sets for the warming up sessions... Not that Brandon minded; this way he'd actually get some training in himself, as opposed to doing easy exercises all the time. With a last puff, Brandon finished the warm up, and got back to his feet in an instant, allowing the yasi to catch their breath.

Compared to when he'd first started, the yasi had grown considerably; their endurance had increased, and so had their overall strength and muscularity. They were not yet fully grown though, and as a result they still couldn't endure as much as older people could, but still. “So, what will we be doing today...” the bat pondered aloud, stroking his cheeks and goatee. “Ah, I know.” He then turned to the yasi, laying scattered all over the floor of the pits. “Do you? Take a guess...mmmmmmyou.” The girl who'd been selected looked up confused, apparently not quite understanding what was asked of her. One of her peers -well, a couple of them- whispered the wonderful advice of “just say something”. “Ehm... Strangle holds?” Well, that was not something Bran had been expecting. “Not quite; someone else?” Of course, there were no volunteers. The thief just shrugged. “How about you? Do you have an idea?”

It was a boy this time, and he immediately answered. “One strike kill moves!” Brandon merely shot him a look and shook his head. “Something closer to your level, so no.” It would be faster to just tell them, the bat thought, they wouldn't come up with it anyway. “We'll be practicing your punches and kicks.”
“Seriously?”
“But we know how to already!”
“Not this again....”
“I wanted to learn something new instead-”

Whispers exploded, turning the corner of the pits into a cacophony of voices; although they were whispering, Brandon could clearly understand most of them. “SILENCE!” he ordered, crossing his arms and assuming his no-nonsense expression. “You three,” he pointed, “three sets. No Nari, how many times must I repeat that? And I am not clipped, thank you very much. Add one more set.” They looked shocked to see he'd understood something at least. “Oh yes, I've done some studying of my own. I can now understand and recognize insults. Insults will add one set to the punishment, understood?” They nodded, Brandon did have some authority at least. He sighed then, casting a sideways glance to confirm whether or not they three boys were doing the sets like correctly, then faced the rest of the group.

“Last time we held a tournament, remember that? It was about five days ago. And while there were indeed winners and losers, all of you gave a terrible performance. You got hit too often. You neglect your defense. Your footwork is non-existent. Your punches and kicks are sloppy!” he scowled. “That you mess up your defense and prefer to stand in place like a ready target I can understand. But petching up your attacks? Honestly, all I've done till now is teaching you how to punch and kick. How can you not do it right?” Brandon gestured with one hand in frustration.

“Sir, you are wrong.” came a string of bold words, and Brandon raised an eyebrow.
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 31st, 2015, 8:05 pm

He didn't have to look to know who was addressing him; the yasi who'd managed to string the most victories in this group. “Oh, am I now?” he queried rhetorically, but the girl didn't seem to get it. “Yes. I can understand you are angry-”
“I'm disappointed, not angry,” Brandon interceded, always having found that “I am disappointed in you” was the most annoying phrase to hear from a teacher -or parent. It was a more powerful than just being angry. Being angry did not have to have anything to do with someone else. But being disappointed? It meant they didn't meet the expectations. “Disappointed then,” she shrugged, “I get that you're disappointed in those among us who lost more than they won, but why are you also targeting us?” Obviously, with “us” she meant the “winners”.

“I'm disappointed in all of you, that's why,” he snorted, cocking his head as if to dare her to say anything else. She did. “But why? We won, didn't we?” No, she was missing the point completely. “This isn't about winning or losing. It's about your technique. About how you execute your attacks.” The bat would have added defense and footwork to the list, but those things had been nearly non-existent. “There's nothing wrong with my attacks,” the girl stated, squaring her jaw a little, “how else did I manage to win, eh?”
“Brute strength and ferociousness. And yet, despite that vicious onslaught, you still managed to get hit multiple times by every opponent. Even the 'weakest' could touch you. If you'd gotten through unscathed, I might have let you off the hook.” Now Brandon was getting angry.

“So what?! I won, and that's what matters!” she insisted, and that persistence was pissing Bran off. “And what if they had been armed? They'd have stabbed you to death.”
“But they weren't armed, were they?”
“That's not the point. It's your miserable technique I'm talking about. You never blocked, deflected or dodged any attack. You just rushed in like some dumb cow and rained punches on them.”
“Dumb cow?!”
“Dumb mindless cow even! You didn't even stop charging when you should have seen an attack coming from three miles away!”

Steam was starting to blow out of both her nostrils and ears; her face was getting red too. “I did not need to dodge, or block, or whatever,” she grunted, “I can take whatever they throw at me! I don't have to fear some weak-ass punch from a wimp!” And those kind of people usually were the ones who were the easiest to take down. Even if they were superior in strength, accumulated damage was not something to mock. “So you just rush in, straight towards your opponent. Very clever.” The venom was dripping from his words, though the girl did not stop. The other yasi just sat and watched quietly, some of them already seeming to know where this was heading. “My father taught me the best way to fight is to get up close and beat them quickly.”
“Right, did he also tell you to put your head up your ass, 'cause that's what I'm seeing right now! Never ever madly charge at someone in a straight line! How stupid is that?” She shot daggers at him, then crossed her arms, and responded with a maddening line. “But I still won!” If Brandon was a mountain -just a regular mountain- he would have erupted. Like a volcano, even though he wasn't a volcano.

“To me, you lost even more than all the others! At least they tried, and you- you-!” The Kelvic inhaled deeply through his nose. “Your technique is terrible! The worst of all my classes! Ever!”
“There’s nothing wrong with my technique!” she hissed, almost spewing fire. “Why don’t you show me then?” Bran asked mockingly, poisoned honey coating his words. “I WILL!” the yelled retort came, and she stepped forward, approaching the bat with angry steps. “Whenever you’re ready,” he spat, not even bothering to assume a fighting position; he wouldn’t need it. Not for this.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 1st, 2015, 7:18 pm

Refusing to listen to all feedback Bran had given her, the girl charged –just like she had during the tournament- straight at him, and Brandon let out a mental sigh. He let her close in, and then, with only one step or so between them, he drew the dagger he kept strapped to his thigh. Without much flourish whatsoever, he flipped the blade into a reverse grip, stabbing the girl in the neck with the pommel of his weapon. “Stab. You’re dead,” he said with a flat voice, hoping he’d managed to get his point across, but of course that was a wish that wouldn’t be fulfilled so easily.

“That’s not fair!” she complained, apparently not even shocked that she would have been dead if Bran had desired to kill her –which was something he could do whenever he wanted, now he thought about it- and more pissed off about the weapon that had appeared into her teacher’s hand. “You’re supposed to fight unarmed!” Her stupidity went far beyond whatever border Bran had imagined. Once more he released some air violently through his nose; a sign he was just barely keeping himself in check. “Oh sure, complain all you want to the bandits-”the foolish ones, that is, “-roaming the Unforgiven. Or the drunk people you’ll inevitably anger. I’m sure they’ll admit they were indeed supposed to fight by your rules. Let me tell you this –and that goes to all of you! THERE. ARE. NO. RULES. IN. A. FIGHT. Only in a duel.” He let his gaze swipe over the small crowd of yasi, then returned it to the girl in front of him.

“In a duel, before you fight, they establish the rules. No other weapons than swords. No hitting the groin, and so on. But in a fight? If you want to kick your foe in the dick, you kick them in the dick! If you have no time for dealing with little pests-” he gestured to the yasi girl who stood there angrily, “-you draw a knife on them instead of fighting bare-handed. No rules. Remember that.” At last, it seemed the girl had finally managed to grasp what Bran was trying to teach her; she nodded pensively, then locked eyes with him, a bold look on her face.

“So, if there are no rules-” she started, golden eyes shifting to his groin for a spit-tick, “-that means I can-” muscles tensed, and one of her feet was drawn back a little. Obvious signs, all of them. Signs that were as clear as clean spring water to any seasoned fighter; she was preparing a kick, one aimed at his groin. “-attack you now, RIGHT?!” the volume of her voice raised as she hurled her leg upwards, but Brandon merely stepped aside with a rotating motion, so he ended up next to the leg, his chest facing it. One arms shot out, slowly for an attack coming from the bat. His fingers sped towards her hips, pushing her off balance easily. “Sloppy,” the thief stated as the girl stumbled backwards, flailing her arms to regain her balance, though failing and falling onto her rear. “this is what I meant with sloppy technique; you’re off balance. One small push in the right area, and you go falling on your butt.” That she’d been wide open while attacking was not mentioned, as Brandon very well knew a novice couldn’t really help that yet.

Instead of accepting the fact that Brandon was the teacher, and the most experienced present –if not the most experienced in the whole of Wind Reach- the yasi girl gave him a death glare as she got back up, arrogantly stating she didn’t bother with stupid concepts like technique, when she was strong enough to just beat people with strength alone. While it was true that the girl was built like an ox –and apparently had the mental capabilities of one…nay, that was not true; an ox definitely was smarter than she was- that all did not matter when going up against someone far stronger than she was. Brandon may not have been as strong as some of the endal were, he had to admit, but he was definitely far stronger than a …what, fourteen year old?... yasi. He sighed, it was becoming clear this girl was a hopeless case. Maybe the best way to get through that thick skull was by experience. Maybe then she’d see the light. “Why don’t you show me then? Punch me in the stomach,” he smirked.

“No tricks, right?” she spoke gingerly, and Brandon confirmed. She then nodded, and aimed a blow at the bat’s abdomen, a punch that looked indeed quite powerful for a yasi. It was slow though, and sloppy. It’s potential was completely wasted by this …chick. It could have been so much more, so much more powerful,fast, and … beautiful. The Kelvic tensed his abs just a heartbeat before the blow connected, the impact felt, but not minded. Harmless, that was how he’d describe that punch. He wouldn’t even have batted an eye if it had hit him in the face. “You call that a punch?” he mocked, smugly, “Now this is a punch!” His words had barely left his lips when his own fist smashed itself into the girl’s stomach, without holding back. She doubled over, and threw up her breakfast, which Brandon could just barely avoid getting hit by.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 2nd, 2015, 7:06 pm

It took a couple chimes for the girl to recover enough to stand back up, but those chimes recovering were spent in a puddle of her own vomit, which most yasi found rather amusing. A couple looked shocked, probably her friends. Some other just stared with an expression of satisfaction on their face. If Brandon had to guess, they were probably yasi that were picked on by the larger girl; they did look kind of thin too… When the girl finally got back to her feet, standing up shakily, holding her stomach and looking kind of ill, Brandon thought he saw her eyes starting to water slightly.

Honestly, he couldn’t care less about her crying about being “humiliated” like that in front of every single one of her peers. If she thought challenging Bran was a good idea, she should be ready to accept the consequences. She trudged off with visible difficulty, and a couple of other yasi girls got up as well, one of them supporting her, the other approaching Bran hesitantly. “Can we like, ehm, bring her to the infirmary?” she asked, and Brandon just shrugged, then giving them permission. He doubted they had time to treat something minor like that though, the whole season had already been hard on them, and still people who were injured from Zith attacks dribbled in daily. Or from falling rocks.

Nevertheless, he let them go, if only because he didn’t want the smell of vomit to hang around; the stink was hardly pleasant. “Someone go fetch a bucket of water. It doesn’t matter whether it’s warm or cold, it’s just to clean this shyke up.” Almost immediately someone ran off, returning within a chime or ten with a bucket filled with steaming water. The vomit was cleaned up quickly; the yasi had also brought a dek with a mop along, clever.

“Right, okay,” the bat stated as the dek was dismissed, “you’ve watched two punches a couple chimes ago, now tell me what was different. You there, give it a shot.”
“Ehm, yours was quicker?” Not quite what the bat was looking for, but he nodded anyway, then pointing at someone else. “You were balanced,” came the confident reply, and again Brandon nodded. “Yes, and how could you tell?”
“Errr… your movements?” he tried, not really seeming to believe what he was saying. “Hmmmyes, I suppose. Compare my punch with what’s-her-name’s punch. ” His face brightened for a tick, “It was not … clumsy?... like Cyla’s? Like, you were standing steady?” Content, Brandon nodded. “Indeed. And I didn’t just throw my arm towards her. Like I’ve said before, you can punch, and you can punch properly. There’s an enormous difference.”

There was a pause to make it sink in, then the bat started speaking again. “Did you see how easy it was to push her off balance when she tried to kick me? That’s what I mean with the importance of balance. Lose your balance, and you might as well lose the fight. You need to work on your technique to prevent losing your balance. Balance is important people! Balance is THE most important thing in a fight. If you fall on the ground, you’re as good as dead, you’re helpless. If you lose your balance, what do you do?” Once more he picked one of the yasi to answer. “Try to regain it?”
“Yes! And that takes time. You flail your arms, you twist your body-” he imitated the motions Cyla had made, “- you are helpless. It doesn’t matter how strong or though you are. If your opponent grabs a rock and smashes your head with it, it’s over. See, that’s what I mean. Technique, balance! Important! Remember that. That’s why you’re going to be practicing the basics all over again.” Brandon crossed his arms and stared at the yasi intensely, as if to dare them to complain now. No one objected. “Good, now spread out like usual. We’ll be starting with punches. As per usual, we’ll be doing sets of each kind. And then some mixed ones, alright? First up is the straight punch- ”

This time at least, all of them were paying attention, guarding the silence and watching Brandon’s every move attentively. They also seemed to actually listen –all of them. Seemed like having an example was very useful; maybe he should make an example out of one person in every group… if necessary of course.

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on December 4th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Your Grades!
Brought to you on the wings of a Dove!

Please remember to edit your grading request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Name: Brandon Blackwing
XP Award:
  • Bodybuilding 1
  • Intimidation 2
  • Leadership 1
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Teaching 3
  • Interrogation 1
Lore:
  • Unarmed Combat: tensing abs to absorb a punch
  • Handstand pushups: showy, but more effort
  • The frustrations of teaching
  • Teaching: making an example of someone
  • There are no rules in combat
  • Unarmed Combat: balance is everything
Notes: Nicely written and fun to read. Enjoy your grades
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)