Solo Tea And Bargains

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Tea And Bargains

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 31st, 2015, 7:43 pm

x
Day 80 of Summer 515AV

The courtyard was filled with people as always, and because this was a market day, there were stalls all over the place. One of those had piqued Brandon’s interest, and as a result, he found himself standing in front of it, checking out the wares. It was owned by a leatherworker, and there were various types of leather equipment displayed; belts, gloves, boots… you name it. Brandon was interested in a pair of gloves, having picked one up and inspecting it carefully, under the watchful gaze of the merchant. It was just a simple glove really, made of supple and soft leather, ending a bit further than the wrist.

It wasn’t a falconry glove, so the merchant had explained, but inspired on it, only without the protection needed to handle the sharp talons of the falcons. Eventually though, the bat placed the glove back and walked off, starting to head in the direction of the fighting pits. It was still too early, and his class wouldn’t start just yet –he still had about half a bell or so- and the Kelvic decided to roam the market a bit longer, which was why he got up earlier on market days.

Soon enough though, Bran passed by a metalworker, and an idea popped into his head. “Excuse me,” he spoke, attracting the attention of the man behind the counter working some steel, “I have a question.” The man nodded, not very enthusiastic, but he seemed to listen anyway. “Do you do individual projects? Custom stuff?” Another nod, and a look that said “all the time”. The Kelvic nodded too, content. “So would it be possible to attach metal plates to these areas,” he asked, tracing squares on the back of his hand, the upper phalanges of his fingers, and a small part behind the wrist, “of a leather glove? Doesn’t have to be thick, just enough to stop a blade.” The man frowned, and stroked his chin thoughtfully. There was interest gleaming in his eyes now, and he had stopped his polishing –or whatever he’d been doing-to consider Brandon’s request.

“Suppose I could. Shouldn’t be too hard. But why don’t ya just buy a steel glove here? Would probably be cheaper.” But Brandon was already shaking his head. “I want my fingers to remain nimble. I’d like to still feel what I’m touching, and what I’m doing. Just a bit of plating would be enough.” The metalworker frowned again, deeper this time. “Ya want it not to be too heavy, right?” The bat gave an affirmative nod. “Then cold iron’s the best choice…” his hand started stroking his chin again, and the pensive look returned to his face. “Ya said it was fer blocking blades, yea?” another nod from the Kelvic. “Then might be best to add some extra paddin’ to protect yer hands.”

Solid advice, the impact of a blade would indeed hurt if he wore a regular glove with some steel on top of it. Worst case it might even break his hand, and that was not the purpose of the glove. To be completely honest though, blocking wasn’t either. Well, it was one of the purposes. The other was hitting harder. “Oh, and some on the knuckles too,” the thief piped up suddenly, and the metalsmith gave a knowing grin. “Figured. Gonna need a glove to figure out the measurements, ya have one on ya?” Unfortunatey, that was not the case, but such a problem was easily solved, and after telling the smith he’d be back, the Kelvic strode back to the stand of the leatherworker.

x

credit goes to Euthisa
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Tea And Bargains

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 5th, 2015, 9:39 am

x
There was not much to the commission he made at the leatherworker’s stand; Brandon stated what he wanted, and how he wanted it, his hand’s measurements were taken, and that was that. Well, obviously crafting the gloves would take more than just a while, and the smith needed to know the size of the plates he would make and attach. The Kelvic planned on buying an extra pair of gloves –ones that did not need to be specially made to fit with all that extra padding Bran had requested- and was about to pay head back to the smith’s stand, when he saw some rather strange contraptions in a corner of the stall.

It looked like some sort of leather shin guard, but the dimensions were off, and there were several oddly shaped things attached to it. Closer inspection revealed it was some sort of multi-sheath thing for daggers or knives, much like the one Bran had lying around in Lhavit. Only, this one wasn’t for strapping around your chest. He frowned, called the merchant and asked just how you were supposed to wear it. “It’s for strapping to your thigh,” the woman informed him, “It’s for storing small blades. Throwing knives and the like.” Brandon frowned; somehow that didn’t seem very practical. If it was like a chest-plate, he’d have seen the use, but for the thigh?

“Not convinced?” she stated, apparently not too surprised by his reaction, “Can’t you easily reach your thigh? I don’t see the problem,” she spoke, then continuing in a low, quiet grumble the bat probably wasn’t supposed to hear, “If only someone would believe me, maybe I’d get one sold.” She crossed her arms and sighed, “Just place it back when you’re done studying it, ‘kay?” Brandon nodded, though he hadn’t really been listening. “Can I test it?” The line earned him a surprised look from the woman, but she just shrugged in reply. Taking it as a “yes”, Brandon began strapping the thing to his thigh, only to find that the sheath of his hidden dagger was now doubly secured, pressing into his flesh rather unpleasantly. A bummer, he wouldn’t be able to keep a blade there anymore if he’d wear this… then again, what was the point of hiding it if he wore a whole bandolier with daggers on his thigh. Or both thighs.

Although… he could of course play around with it a bit until it did fit… but that was not what he wanted to find out right now. With a quick gesture, he fished his dagger out of its sheath and stuffed it into one of the sheaths on the bandolier. It didn’t quite fit, and he shot an inquiring look at the merchant. “It’s for small blades, I said. That’s too big.” Nevertheless, it would serve well enough for the purpose of testing, and the bat had to admit he could reach the blade easily no matter what sheath he’d put it in. He nodded quite contently, unbuckling the belts that kept it in place, then asking for the price. “Five Pinions,” she said, and Brandon felt his expression turn a lot more grim. “I can throw in a second one and give you a little discount?” the merchant tried, “A bargain if you ask me!” The Kelvic was not convinced.

“Say how many of those do you have in stock?” he queried with a plain face, guessing she probably only had four or so. “I only have two. Which makes these rare. Like I said, a real steal if you buy them for eight Pinions.” Brandon however shook his head, “And you haven’t managed to sell one ever, have you. I heard you say it yourself. I’ll pay five for both.”
“What?! You want to ruin me? Five for both, that’s theft! Do you even know how much work I put into making those?”
“No, but no-one ever wants to buy these, right?” Just by the way her expression changed, Brandon knew he was indeed right. “This is probably the closest you’ll get to selling them if you ask five for one.” He crossed his arms and cocked his head ever so slightly.

“Yes, but five for two is-”
“Well over a hundred loafs of bread,” Brandon cut her off, having calculated that a long time ago, back in Lhavit to see how long he could survive with five Kina, however he couldn’t remember the exact number. He did know that one Kina was equal to one pinion though. “Way too much.” He glared for just a tick, “Besides, I just commissioned a pair of gloves and I’ll buy a second pair. I’d say I’ve been giving you enough money already.”

“Alright then,”the vendor resigned, apparently having realized Bran as adamant in this. He wouldn’t buy the bandoliers for more than five. She sighed. “That’ll be seven Pinions for everything. Your gloves will be finished next market day for sure, so come pick them up then.” That at least was a reasonable price, and the Kelvic slapped the coins on the counter, taking his newly acquired stuff and headed to the smith, dropping off the gloves, as well as a copy of the measurements of his hand, then speeding away. “Petch! I’m going to be late!” he realized as he dashed to his room, “I don’t think the yasi will mind that much, but still… I have my reputation as a teacher to uphold!” Though he honestly didn’t care that much about it. In reality he was just challenging himself to arrive on time, which meant running as fast as he could; training in itself.

Expenses :
-5sm for gloves
-1gm for custom gloves
-5gm for 2 bandoliers
=6.5 gm =7pinions

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Tea And Bargains

Postby Brandon Blackwing on September 5th, 2015, 5:27 pm

x
Later that same day, after Bran was done with his work –teaching the yasi- he returned to the market, which was still going on, though most of the crowd had moved on. Brandon’s first stop was the metalsmith, to retrieve his gloves and inquire about the date of completion. Of course, the plates wouldn’t take that much time to be crafted, but since he couldn’t do anything without the custom gloves, the complete project wouldn’t be finished anytime soon. Though he did say that if Bran could bring the gloves in the early morning on a market day, he could manage to attach the plates that same day.

That was of course fine with Bran, and he arranged it so he’d pay when he’d come pick it up. That is not to say he didn’t buy anything now though, his eye had caught the gleam of small, slender daggers, bladed that he was sure would fit perfectly in his new bandoliers. After paying for those, he was on his way, blades wrapped in cloth. He didn’t come that far though; a familiar smell hit his nostrils, and instead of heading to his room, the Kelvic started following the trail of scent, tracing it back to a stand with a rather old man behind the counter.

“Well hello there,” the man spoke, “interested in some tea? Real Lhavitian tea, even.” The Kelvic grinned, he’d known that tea had smelled familiar. “I’m not really knowledgeable about tea. I don’t drink it often either,” he spoke, a hint of a smile on his lips. “Ah, but that is not a problem. If you don’t know which tea you like, why not try some?”
“Not sure if I’ll buy though,” Brandon warned, but the man did not seem to mind. “Maybe not today,” he agreed, “but perhaps in the future, if I find a tea you like.”

Well, there was no harm in just drinking a cup or two, was there? “Perhaps,” he shrugged, placing his cloth-wrapped blades down, leaning on the counter. “You look rather tired, did you have a rough day today?” The Kelvic shook his head, “Nah, but today I realized getting through to the yasi might be harder than I thought. Well, to some at least.” The old man nodded. “Yasi can be thick sometimes,” he spoke, “but you shouldn’t let it get to you. You’re a teacher, yes? You have to be patient, and repeat yourself often. That’s the only way to deal with these things.” Brandon sighed, this was nothing new.

“But why don’t you tell me what you look for in a drink? Do you like bitter drinks? Strong ones? Sweet?”
“Sweet, preferably.”
“Sweet eh? I might have something sweet…” he grinned, filling the bottom of a cup with some tea blend, then filling it with steaming water. “These days there’s no shortage of boiling water,” he joked, “which makes these kind of things easier for me.”

The tea took a while to infuse the water with its taste and aroma, but when it did, Brandon had to admit it did smell rather good. Sweet and fruity. “Tea is great for relaxing,” the man spoke, “delicious after a hard day of work.” Brandon grinned at that, “Well then, maybe perhaps I really should buy some tea, eh?”
“Haha, it would be good for my sales, I admit,” the merchant joked, “but I have sold enough today, right now I just want to drink a cup myself and relax a bit before I close up shop.”
“I certainly don’t object,” the bat grinned, taking a sip, “Aaaah, maybe I should drink this more often.”

“Well, if you insist I’m sure I could sell you some. A real bargain too!”

expenses :

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Tea And Bargains

Postby Dove Brown on December 4th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Your Grades!
Brought to you on the wings of a Dove!

Please remember to edit your grading request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Name: Brandon Blackwing
XP Award:
  • Negotiation 2
  • Planning 1
  • Mathematics 1
  • Running 1
Lore:
  • Teaching requires patience and repetition
  • Tea: wonderful for relaxing
  • Custom work needs the measurements to hand
  • Negotiation: using a merchant's own complaints to reduce the price
Loot: -20 pinions
+ gloves
custom gloves
2 bandoliers
custom half-gauntlets
10 throwing daggers
Notes: Thanks for having already updated your ledger.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)