Snake tongue vs Kelvic languages

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Yisanareysin on September 11th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Why is it that Kelvic animal languages can be taken as fluent in addition to the three chosen languages, but Snake Tongue cannot?

Is there any significant difference between these two languages, other than species?
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Ball on September 11th, 2015, 5:13 pm

This is my assumotion, as to whether it is correct I am not sure:

When a Kelvic is the race they have two languages: Their Animal form and Common (usually)... That's because they can't speak their Kelvic form at all in their human form due to shifted and alter vocal chords.

Animals are naturally fluent in their animalistic tongue, it is like their form of Common.

A Dhani isn't necessarily two distinct forms, but really just one form manipulated:

Snake Tongue CAN be fluent, but it can't be fluent with another language (as that would be impossible at start). Fluency is more of a cultural thing in this scenario.

Again this is what I am assuming, but that's what comes to mind. I don't know much about either race though
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Nightmare on September 11th, 2015, 8:50 pm

To add to that, a lot of the kelvic language is nonverbal and as such can't be spoken outside of that form. Let alone be learned by non-kelvics or even other kelvics of a different type.

Whereas snake tongue is purely vocal and can be learned by non-dhani, though only spoken with great difficulty unless the person can morph.
If you have an concerns, questions or problems please PM me right away. I am here to assist and can usually get a reply within a day or two if not sooner.
If you haven't gotten a response from me within five days, please PM me again!
Nightmare
The part of you that you always fear

Words: 254197
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Yisanareysin on September 11th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for answering.
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)