The Occupational Absence

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

The Occupational Absence

Postby Shadyn on September 26th, 2015, 2:16 am

Okay, so here is something I have noticed...
There are absolutely no Lores to help a PC have a career as a Trader. None. Whatsoever. There are a FEW trade routes placed on a map, and those only include the seafaring ones.

So, what I would like to suggest is that trading be given a lore. Define rules, regulations, returns, land routes, etc.
Make a list of the types of stuff each city likes (in general). One city might like more physical weapons, another city might want archery supplies, another city might love luxury goods, etc.
Create "Merchant Liscenses" or the like giving a person permission to stand in the street square every X number of days and hawk there goods. Set up a definite system for reaping profits, that sort of thing.

In relation to this, I think the price list needs a bit of trimming, since not all goods are equally available in all locations, thus affecting their price. Sure, some simple flour isn't worth much in Syrilias. But in Wind Reach, where we can't even REMOTELY grow wheat, flour is a luxury food.

See my points?

Trading is a logical job that is sometimes referenced in the Lore, but never actually focused upon. As the business regulations currently stand, however, being a "Trader", especially a successful one with multiple convoys, will violate any number of business regulations, thus depriving a such a travelling merchant from the status of businessman that they deserve.

That is why I think a whole Lore need to be added just for Trading regulations and information.

Just a thought, so give me all your feedback! :D

Narration and Shadyn (normal text) -- Lanira (bold text) -- Thoughts and Xarrt's telepathic speech (italics)

NOTE: No matter what the language of conversation, Shadyn will almost always speak to Lanira in Nari, and she will use Nari with him, unless otherwise stated.
Shadyn
Master of Dictomancy

Words: 124526
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Plotnotes

The Occupational Absence

Postby Ssezzkero on September 26th, 2015, 2:59 am

Here is a trade ship in Alvadas you could probably take a look at. It is incredibly extensive and has been checked over my multiple STs for accuracy on things like the products and times. If you wish to multiple trade routes such as this from all the cities, it would be a large project.

If you are interested, I suggest you begin to take a look at the math and the logic of it and start undertaking it yourself, I'm sure many would like join in from different cities.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

The Occupational Absence

Postby Yisanareysin on September 26th, 2015, 3:03 am

I mean you'll have to learn all of this IC anyways, so why not figure it out case by case?
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)