Open [Syliran Fields] A Neck! A Neck! (Harvest hunt)

28th of Fall - The last bastion of shelter for the small creatures of the fields is about to be taken down. Meanwhile, Mithryn's farmers are making preparations for their annual Harvest Hunt, in which hunters will wait at the edge of the field for the bolting critters. Anyone is welcome to join this festive tradition.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliran Fields] A Neck! A Neck! (Harvest hunt)

Postby Dove Brown on October 9th, 2015, 5:32 pm

OOCAll welcome. If hunting Kelvics and other shapeshifters want to show up in animal form, that's fine. If anyone wants to take the risk of trying to rescue individual creatures, that's fine too, but not stopping the hunt entirely. :)

28 Fall 515

The oldest farmers called the last bit of each field's crop "the neck". Whether that was because it generally the top on the humped shoulders of the haystacks or whether it was because you could get a nice neck of rabbit when the creatures bolted was something that Dove had never figured out. This year she stood back among the hunters that ringed the edge, her sling ready in her hand and a heavy pouch of sling bullets tied to her belt. Behind her, around the edge of the field, ran a low stone wall, no more than three feet high. Even as short as she was (for a human) the wall was too low to hinder her swinging sling, and she spaced herself out so she wouldn't hit either of her neighbours either.

It was a beautiful day, sunny, but not too warm, and Syna was high enough not to shine directly in anyone's eyes and spoil their aim. A few clouds drifted aimlessly, but there was only an intermittent breeze.

In the middle, two experienced farmers hefted their scythes. They had done this task before, and knew to take it slowly. The animals huddled in the last strip of wheat would start to bolt when the farmer began to cut it, and taking it slowly meant you didn't injure yourself when a rabbit dashed between your legs, or a bird exploded upwards into your face in a thrum of wingbeats. As well as rabbits there were also likely to be mice, rats, hares, even perhaps a weasel or a frog fleeing across the open space, while larks, partridges, lapwings, sparrows and robins took to the air.

With each hunter going after the animal of their choice - or after whatever came towards them - it was likely to get chaotic fast. Still, Dove hoped she'd get something. Fresh meat was a treat to rival the other fresh foods of the harvest. She looked around at her fellow hunters, trying to guess what they were most interested in by their gaze and the weapons they held.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kai' on October 12th, 2015, 7:05 pm

The annual Harvest Hunt. A strange ritual these land lubbers participated in, as the colder snaps of Fall swept over the Sylirian domain. Farmers cutting the last of their summer spoils, hunters awaiting at the edges of the fields to catch the naive creatures who knew not their fate, as they would flee to the forest boundary.
   Though having spent a season already among the Sylirians, Kai was beginning to become fond of their ways. Integrating himself into the landlubber culture, in place of a family far removed geologically. Their presence missed dearly by the young Svefra as his heart ached to hold them in his arms. Yet a distraction such as this was a remedy he found quite adequate to sate his need for community kinship.
   Tramping along the edges of the great Sylirian Fields, the young Svefra followed the guidance of a simple stone wall to find his way to the collection of hunters already gathered. The roughly cut stone structure barely reaching the height of his waist, as he waded passed lines of eagerly awaiting hunters. Peering into the sternly set features of the men and women alike as he passed, their gazes revealing years of experience, only highlighted Kai's own novice-hood at the task at hand. Fishing upon the salty waters of the Suvan Sea, where he had been raised was one thing, hunting upon dry land was something altogether foreign to the young Svefra.
   Alas Kai was an adventurous spirit. There would not be much purpose in travelling to different lands, if one was not going to learn each of the people's customs. Throwing himself into something new, ignited a spark, a thrum of excitement within the young Svefra's chest that let him know he was indeed still alive.
   Falling into a spot that provided enough space between him and his neighbouring hunters. Kai hefted his short-ivory spear in his left hand for a tighter grip, before lowering his stance, in a more sturdy position: feet spread evenly, bent at the knees, back lowered. Rugged, stubbly features set in a picture of pure determination, the young Svefra pulled free his hunting knife from its scabbard; hidden beneath his simple white shirt, locked onto his leather belt above his buttocks.
   Knife in his right, short-spear in his left, the young Svefra was ready. Though as his stomach fluttered, his heart began to race, the adrenaline at waiting for the unknown to happen coursed through his veins. Nervous of his first attempt at hunting, the young Svefra looked to the surprisingly short young woman next to him. Wiry, yet strong, a life hard-lived evident in her toned frame. With long locks the colour of charcoal and eyes as dark, the scar running across her left jaw did nothing to affect the beauty of the girl sprouting into womanhood.
   As her wandering gaze fell upon his, the young Svefra smiled nervously, "Ever done this before?"

Kai'
Retired

Words: 70361
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2015, 9:28 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Dove Brown on October 14th, 2015, 3:55 pm

The man on her left had a spear in one hand and a knife in the other. She glanced his way and saw him looking back at her. He was much taller than her, but then most folk were taller than her, and he looked as if he had the kind of strength gained by hard work. Brown haired, gold-skinned, blue-eyed, and nobody she recognised from the fields or the settlement.

He asked if she'd done this before and she shook her head. "Not as a hunter," she replied with a wry smile at her own inexperience. "I used to watch my brother take part in this when I was little though. It's different taking part myself." She bit back the ache to see her brother again, to have him join her in the Harvest Hunt and the feast afterwards, and tried to hide it behind her smile and calm face. "Still, it isn't that different from hunting rabbits when they start eating the crops, or scaring pigeons off the seed." If she told herself that often enough, maybe it would quell the flutter in her guts. At least on this hunt she wouldn't fall off any walls... She looked at his full hands and then at hers. Shaking hands with a knife was most likely a bad idea. "I'm Dove, by the way. Are you new to the hunt too?"

He held the spear as if he knew how to use it. She looked from the spear to the middle of the field where the harvesters where just making the first cut. The first animals would likely emerge in just a few moments. "One thing - stay back by the wall until it's finished. There'll be weapons and arrows and bullets flying all over the place. The harvesters are usually ok, but other folk sometimes get hurt." It was better to wait until it was over, then collect anything you'd hit. Mostly folk expected you to know what you'd hit and collect accordingly, but there had been occasional arguments breaking out in past years.

Dove Brown

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Morgan on October 18th, 2015, 2:51 pm

A small, redhead female figure came down the path, towards the fields. She was whistling all the time, the tune happy, carefree. Morgan wasn’t the one to go hunting in a group full of people, she preferred to do it alone or with only one partner, but this occasion, the Harvest Hunt, was different and she decided to catch herself a rat or two. Oh, this will be fun!

She grinned with excitement, when she neared the field. She slowed her pace and let herself enjoy the sight. There were people on the field. Farmers were cutting the wheat with their scythes and – to her horror, which almost made her stop – two hunters were already standing there, weapons drawn, prepared for the hunt.

„Oi! Wait for me!“ she shouted and began running toward the hunters standing on the field. Just as she reached the people, her feet got tangled, she stumbled and she almost fell flat on her face. Her instincts fortunately kicked in and she at least put her hands forwards which prevented her from smashing her face into the ground.

She immediatelly felt mortified. Oh, no, no, no! The worst. First. Impression. Ever! Well done, Morgan. She got up quickly, red faced, straightened her clothes and hair, put on a smile and tried to act like nothing had happened. She cleared her throat and looked around. „So, what have we got here?“

OOCHi! So I joined. I hope my post is OK like this.
*** Current thread count: 4/5 ***
OOC Timezone: GMT +1, November word count: 3658
17.11. Full activity!
Morgan
Player

Words: 31873
Joined roleplay: September 20th, 2014, 9:45 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on November 19th, 2015, 11:29 pm

A shout from behind made Dove turn. A red headed woman about her own size came running towards them. Just as she reached them, she tripped and fell, barely catching herself on her hands. Dove winced in sympathy, remembering her own fall off a wall onto a headland. "You ok?" she asked before she remembered the dread that question had roused in her and mentally cursed herself.

The redhead scrambled up again, her face now as red as her hair and seemed to be trying to cover it over. She wanted to know what was there. Dove gestured to the field with her empty hand. "Um, harvest hunt. Field? Harvesters?"

Dove heard a rustling from the field and looked back at the harvest. "I'm Dove," she offered. "Just waiting for the first animals to bolt..." As she said it, a pair of rabbits broke from the last of the crop and came running almost straight towards them, one slightly behind the other. Dove fumbled a bullet into her sling, looked sideways at the newcomer to check she wasn't about to hit her, and then sent the sling whirling around her head.

She aimed at the front rabbit, but misjudged how fast it was moving. She wasn't used to moving targets - and her bullet whizzed over the first one and hit the one behind in the face. It screamed, and tumbled over in the stubble. The other one leapt forward at the sound, swerving a little.

Dove reached into the pouch for a second bullet. It slipped through her fingers and hit the ground by her foot. She swore under her breath and scrabbled for another one. She didn't think she had time to get another shot off. "Yours. Either of you," she told the other hunters. "If you want it."

oocYes that was fine. So sorry about all the delays.

Dove Brown

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Konrad Venger on March 26th, 2016, 10:51 pm

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Dove

XP:
Hunting - 1
Observation - 2
Socialization - 2
Weapon: Sling - 1

Lore:
Hunting: Purging "The Neck"
Kai': A Capable Man, But Not a Local
Misjudging the Speed of your Target

Click Me! :
Morgan, if you ever come back, lemme know and once you deduct your Seasonal Expenses, I'll grade you, too! Same goes for you, Kai'. I know your back but looking over your CS, you still need to deduct your Winter Living Expenses. Do so, PM, blah blah blah, you get the idea. ;-)

This was another well-structured thread from you, Dove. I like how you roped others into it and really shed some light on the rural, agricultural life of the non-Knights in Syliras.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes