Closed Oh, The Things You Find

[Reysin] And the people you meet

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Oh, The Things You Find

Postby Ssezzkero on September 28th, 2015, 12:41 am

Season Day, 515 AV

Although his accent as rough, not helped by his human tongue, Sezkero understood most of what he spoke. Magic, was not welcome in Alvadas. She hadn't learned this during her last visit to the city of illusions, since she hadn't had any magic other than reimancy in her, which she refused to use anyway. Was magic forbidden? Or had it simple changed in the past twenty years? "Speak of it, not." She promised, running a finger in an X pattern over her heart. She hadn't quite realized the extent of how much she lost her mother's language, but it was apparent when she spoke. "But, I do question. Talk later on it?" She asked, watching as a woman gave them a weird look. It wasn't much for her to speak as she had tentacles for hair, but it was clear the hush hush conversation in a foreign language wasn't going unnoticed. I magic truly was as dangerous as Reysin was saying, perhaps she would not win today. Preservation was one of her highest values in life, after all.

"I'm the coussin of your coussin who comesss from the ssseasss." She changed the subject, returning to common since the street was so busy. They turned another corner which was looking more familiar as dawn settled in. It could barely be the thirteenth bell, but they had already managed to go from four in the afternoon all the way to dawn, as if they were walking backwards in time. "We are the children of Sssiku and Laviku, but, I think, after the Valterrian we were banisshhed to land. I can't remember preccissely what my mother sssaid, but we had to 're-learn' how to go back to the sssea. Most Iyvesssss did, but my ancestors fell in love with the riversss, and with Makutssi.

"We don't have nesstsss, we don't have much of a culture actually. We are hunted by those who don't know usss, as you musst know, being a Dhani yoursself. I've met only one other River Iyvesssss, asside from my brotherssss and mother, in over a hundred years." She suddenly realized she had talked non-stop, taking on the storytelling tone that her mother had when she learned the history of her people. But the snake couldn't help the slightly sour notes that laced certain parts of the Iyvess past. It was simple, her race was nearly extinct. They had gotten the short sticks from the beginning, wasn't she allowed to be sour? And yet when she spoke it to another snake, it was more of a relief than a stress.

Sezkero laughed, as she took a tick to realize how absurd this all seemed to him. A race he had never heard of? One that was supposedly his kin? She would be a little freaked out too. Or perhaps he believed her and took it well. It was Alvadas after all, anything is possible. And so is, perhaps, discovering a new race. "Do you believe me?" She asked finally, slowing her steps as Madame Kemac's shop came into view.
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Oh, The Things You Find

Postby Yisanareysin on September 28th, 2015, 5:28 am

"Yes. Later, somewhere private." He agreed. He was fairly certain that between common and snake tongue, he'd be able to work out a decent enough explanation.

This time, as she spoke, answering several of his questions from earlier, he stayed silent, mentally cataloguing and considering everything he was learning. When she had told him earlier that the Iyvess were serpents of the sea, he had assumed her kind were much like his own, only in the water. But this...

The children of Siku and Laviku. Was that only due to their aquatic nature? Or did she truly mean that her kind called the ocean god their father? And what she was saying about her ancestors being banished to land... Rey knew something important had happened to his own kind in the Great Cataclysm, though he still couldn't remember what. Something.. was altered? No, they had been altered. Their bodies.. something.

It was the next part, however, that bothered him most. A snake, not have a nest? The very idea was ghastly. Where was she hatched? Where did she live as a snakeling? Where did she pray or sacrifice or learn? To have only known one of her own kind other than her family... How was that possible? His own nest had had problems with a diminished population. How many of these Iyvess were there?

So, did he believe her? It was an excellent question. Everything she described was the antithesis of what he had always known Dhani life to be. "You ssay you returned into the riverss from the land. You ssay you has no nesst to be born in, that you are not jusst of Ssiku, but Laviku and.... Makutssi?"

Did he believe her? Everything she was saying was absurd. But the better question was, did he believe she was lying? He wasn't so certain about that. A liar would have followed Rey's lead in making up a story, would have told him what he expected to hear. And when she'd started speaking of her own kind, she'd transformed, in a way. She sounded so sincere, not at all like she was trying to convince him of anything.

He could believe, at least, that she believed. "I believe you tell me your truth. Do not know yet if it is the world's truth. Must see more for that." That was the best he could do without proof.

Snake Tongue : Common : Arumenic
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Oh, The Things You Find

Postby Ssezzkero on September 29th, 2015, 1:12 am

Yeah, perhaps she didn't know the whole truth herself, but he accepted the version that she was taught by her mother. A shadow of a grin drew up the corners of her mouth and she slowed her steps until eventually they stopped, just on the side of Madame Kemac's shop.

"This is my destination." She informed the viper, nodding a chin towards the philtering shop and adjusted her grip on her basket. "I have to get back to work, but we sshhould meet again. I am curiousss about your sssensse." She lowered her voice on the last word, glancing to her left automatically. "I have magic too. Should talk." She murmured in their snake tongue, glancing to her right as well.

She knew magic was no joke, but the simple new discovery on its illegality had intrigue her on both it and whatever djed-wielding ability he possessed. "I'm here every other day, in case we passsss each other's path again." She nodded to the shop once more, turning towards the door. "Sssee you sssoon, Yissanareyssin." The Iyvess gave a wave and ducked inside the store, just in time to get a fiery glare from Madame Kemac.

"I don't pay you to dwadle with strangers, do you have my herbs?"
Ssezzkero
Player

Words: 249053
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2014, 4:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1)

Oh, The Things You Find

Postby Yisanareysin on September 29th, 2015, 3:20 am

Rey had been so engrossed in their conversation he'd actually forgotten that they'd been walking, so the gradual stop came as something of a return to reality. Glancing in the direction Sezkero indicated, Rey found they had stopped outside of some sort of herb shop. Huh. That made sense.

Rey was pleased to see he'd taken her warning about magic to heart, and positively delighted to hear that she too had magic. Ooh, was it hypnotism? Or something else he'd never heard of? Could she teach it to him? Could he teach his sense to her? Would it be easier since they both had magic? Ah, he was getting ahead of himself, but this was all so wonderful.

"I am certain we will meet again, Sezkero, and we will discuss everything then. Until that time, take care, cousin." He hissed at her. He returned her wave as she entered the shop, then took a step back. Carefully studying the building, Rey fixed it into his memory, before turning to walk away. Siku may have blessed him with this chance meeting this time, but Rey liked to think his deities preferred it when he made his own luck.

This was shaping up to be a wonderful season.

Snake Tongue : Common : Arumenic
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Oh, The Things You Find

Postby Sayana on November 6th, 2015, 12:51 am

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Sezkero
Skills
  • Observation: 5
  • Socialization: 5
  • Land Navigation: 4
  • Herbalism: 2
  • Persuasion: 1
  • Stealth: 1
  • Interrogation: 3
  • Acting: 2
  • Subterfuge: 4
  • Storytelling: 1
Lores
  • Herbalism: Identifying Lavender
  • Herbalism: Identifying Lemongrass
  • Herbalism: Identifying Calendula
  • Yisanareysin: Viper Dhani
  • Yisanareysin: Can use the 'sense'
  • Subterfuge: Using someone's curiosity against them
  • Auristics: Sensing the essence of something's soul

Yisanareysin
Skills
  • Observation: 2
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Stealth: 2
  • Auristics: 1
  • Prayer: 1
  • Socialization: 5
  • Interrogation: 3
  • Investigation: 2
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Subterfuge: 1
Lores
  • Intelligence: Eavesdropping on gossip
  • Stealth: Remaining inconspicuious in a crowd
  • Sezkero: River Iyvess
  • Interrogation: Watching behaviour when questioning
  • Iyvess: Dhani of the seas and rivers
  • Iyvess: Don't have nests
  • Iyvess: Children of Siku, Laviku and Makutsi
  • Sezkero: Has magic

Comments: Wonderful thread. The sssilibant hissssing was really amusing and actually drew me in when I was deciding whether or not to put a grading placeholder. It was great seeing the two different reactions, Reysin's enthusiasm and Sezkero's sense of caution to meeting one of their own race. Well done.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous