Solo The Oneiric Season

The end to her journey approaches...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

The Oneiric Season

Postby Ayszel on November 12th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Ayszel gazed at the contents of the bags she had spilled out over the ground. There had to be something that would resemble the sketch in the book. Her eyes looked over the tanks and pulled one of the smaller ones over to her. If I can make an opening like the one in there this should work as a container…maybe the fact it’s transparent will help?

Her eyes scanned the chipped pale blue teapot, the brush and comb she used on the horses, the cup and make-up and over the net. The net would work to hang the fish on after and dry them like the book stated they had done but the holes were far too large and too low quality to capture anything small like the small fish that would be in the river. Eventually her eyes danced over the little mesh bags she used to make the tea and sighed heavily as she pulled them toward her. They would work but she’d have to use practically all of them and she would still need to twist something into them to make it hold the shape required.

Leaning back she gazed at the haltered heads of the horses meandering through the camp and snuffling gently. Nose to tail they dozed in the sunshine, protecting each other from the flies as their tales swatted each others faces and their other flank while the other protected them. It made her smile, animals were never wholly selfless, there was always intent, something they got in return. Working together they could protect more of their body than separate. It made Ayszel glad that she had bought two, although she couldn’t have carried all her belongings on only one.

Suddenly her eyes fixated on the halters both horses now. Most of it was made of rope but the nose band which ran over, what the horse seller had said was the most sensitive part of their face the halter touched, was made of fabric and was structured with the metal to make it round and bound to the rope on the rest of the ends. It’s not as if I need the halters anymore… she decided. They had come in use when she was first getting to know the mares and it came in handy when they didn’t want to go somewhere she needed them to or where more interested in grass than in her. but I can probably use rope for that part now since It’s not like I’m going to be hauling on their faces…I hope. but there wasn’t a lot to work with until she learned to hunt here.

Petting their cheeks as she untied both halters she coiled onto the ground and packed her stuff back up so she could lean against the full pack. Peering at one of the halters she looked for a piece of exposed metal along the edges. Grabbing the tip she worked her claw under it and smiled to herself couldn’t do THAT with a human nail… eventually she had worked the loop out, after loosing her grip several times. She worked the piece around and through the rope it was puncturing until she had completely detached it. The fabric along the nose piece was sewn into a circle with a heavily padded bottom where it connected with the muzzle and metal ran in rivets like a meandering river or a sidewinder, thus once it was detached from both ends it was easy enough to pull it right out of the center, like pulling the guts out of a sea cucumber.

She did the same with the second halter until she had two fairly long pieces of thin metal that could be woven through mesh bags. The next step is to figure out how to get the mesh bags to stick together… she realized, There isn’t enough metal to bind all the bags together, only to give it structure. Looking at the bush and the few low trees in the distance she ran her reptilian tongue along the air. Sap would take some time to harden, but it works like glue in the jungle. Perhaps it will here too? she entertained.

She hadn’t realized how little of the necessities she was prepared to supply for herself and how much the nest had supplied her with and until she was forced to fend for herself. Now, she realized how much that what she had brought were particular to her hobby. Though it would come to serve her well in serving the animals and plants of her new ecosystem it was doing little to keep her alive right now.

Unfortunately there was little sap in the trees here and cutting them did not make them bleed as it did in the jungle and so she was very quickly back on her butt thinking carefully, waiting for an epiphany. It occurred to her with as much glee as suddenness . Magic. Stone.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Words: 154389
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Oneiric Season

Postby Ayszel on November 12th, 2015, 8:18 pm

I’ll still need the mesh I think…I’m not sure the fish will swim into something so dark if I make it entirely out of stone. she decided. Taking the bundle of mesh from the clay pot she lay them out edge to edge in a large square. Coiling low before the bundle she pondered how she would do the work. She had learned enough times the ramifications of working on a project before she had worked each step out.

The stone will be hard…so I’ll need to shape it as I go…I don’t think I can create such a complex meshwork and place them or in this state work complex enough magic without turning it into stone to hold it all together before turning it into stone…Perhaps this wont work afterall… she thought disheartened, her temper shortened by hunger. However, a part of her was still relieved, she wasn’t ready to use magic, she wasn’t sure she could mentally or physically deal with the pressure of it.

It was then that she remembered the string in the mapping kit she had bought before she left, knowing she would be exploring a new area. The string was thin and strong and could easily be sewn into the mesh. Now…how do I sew? She asked herself. She knew the concept, but she certainly had never had any reason to try it before. She had collected several plants on her way here and one had happened to be a long thorned rose that was pressed within her book. It appeared instantly in her mind and pulling off several thorns she started another small fire and waited for the coals to heat up. Sticking the end of the thin metal she heated it up and then placed the thorn on a stone to steady it and pushed the hot metal through the end of the thorn and made a whole. Holding the long thin thorn up to her eye she smiled. Pretty clever if I do ask myself… she decided proudly.

Threading the thread from the kit through, after spending a ridiculous amount of chimes digging through the bags she slowly sewed the mesh together, stabbing herself several times in the process. She formed the funnel into the tanks. She carried the makeshift trap down to the water and looked slithered along the edge. I saw the minnows before along the bank…I’m not sure where else they’d be…so I’ll place it there? she decided, she didn’t want to think about if this didn’t work. Tying a rope around the container she leaned over the water on her stomach and placed the edge of the container into the water and watched it fill, when it finally had collected enough weight it began to sink and settled into the shady bottom. Ayszel tied the rope to a nearby small bush so she could find it and haul it out later and retreated to the campsite.

“ So while we are waiting for food I’m going to do a little exploring.” She informed the horses, though she knew they had no idea what she was talking about. They had stayed near camp before when her ties had come loose (or the smaller of the two had learned to untie them) so she wondered off with little anxiety about what might become of her campsite. The outlanders were a dangerous place but it was daytime and she wasn’t planning on going very far.

Setting off parallel to Lhavit and keeping it on her left she wandered further downstream. If this works I’ll need to make more durable versions of the trap until I can learn to hunt for myself…so I should make sure the place is near a stream or river with fish. I’ll need a meadow with sufficient grass for the horses and an abandoned cave…it’s a pretty demanding list…

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Oneiric Season

Postby Ayszel on November 12th, 2015, 8:19 pm

~Later in the day~

The valley in the grass was waist deep. It was long and narrow surrounded by steep cliff sides. The only way in was to wade through the stream that she had been following. Which probably explains why the grass is free to grow so high. Ayszel thought, her Caiyha imprinted mind immediately scoping out what little of the ecology she could determine.

As she meandered along the edges she found an abandoned bear cave, or at least she assumed it was abandoned as no one was home nor were any berries or grass pulled in to make a nest. It was small, only tall enough that she didn’t smack her head once she had slithered in through the narrow opening, but it would be easy to enlarge with time and it had everything she could dream of.

As she slipped out from her new home and had finished exploring the area, taking more time than she probably should have she saw the sun slipping behind the peak of the mountain and stretching shadows over the valley. As it set a deep golden glow lit the small lake that formed at one end of the long stretch. It reminded Ayszel intimately of the golden pool of res within her. That which made her body hers...that made her body home...

“Thank you Caiyha, for the sign.” Ayszel whispered, bowing her head in silent prayer.

When she got home the sun was still shining on the edge of the world. It was as if time had reversed itself. The sun had set, and would yet set again. As is the magic of the mountains Ayszel complimented graciously, though it pained her to compliment anywhere but the jungle. Such was the honour and loyalty bred into the Dhani from birth.

By now, her stomach ached from both hunger and the wounds so as she went back down to the river to retrieve the cages her mouth immediately filled with saliva upon seeing the glistening flopping forms of minnows. Though they hardly made a splash in her cavernous stomach, she flicked her slitted tongue over her lips with delightful satisfaction as the last flicking caudal fin disappeared between them.

Two sunsets, food and a new home…what a lovely day.

As she slipped into the confines of her tent she felt the first press of happiness upon her cheek since leaving home. Little did she know that outside, the clouds were coming.

Thoughts
Snake-Tongue
Common
Ayszel
Taint is in the air

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

The Oneiric Season

Postby Elysium on February 6th, 2016, 2:52 am

Ayszel

XP:
Observation +4
Botany +2
Herbalism +1
Riding +1
Construction +2
Poison +1

Lore:
Phylonura: Kalea versus Falyndar
Botany: Homogenity of Kalean Flora
Botany: Physical Properties of Bromegrass
Kalean Geography (Basic)
Religion: Beseeching the Goddess Siku
How to Poison Oneself
Riding: How to Stay Upright
How to Bathe Oneself
Construction: Improvising Materials
The Benefits of Being a Dhani

Notes: Ayszel was very well characterized here. I enjoyed your depictions of the Kalean flora and fauna. If I may, Ayszel would benefit from finding safer and perhaps more efficient ways to learn from local plant life in the future. ;) You described the poisoning very well but I couldn't award as much experience as I would have liked because at the end of the day, she still isn't entirely sure what each of these plants are called, where they're typically found and what their properties are exactly. Those are just a few of the more rudimentary points of Botany! But altogether. I really enjoyed reading this. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Previous