Zith Family Structure Questions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Tisk on November 28th, 2015, 11:51 am

I am intending on making an 18 year old female Zith character and I have a few questions on the family structure.
1. At what age would Zith females be having children?
2. I am wanting my character to be in a singly family environment living in the rural, less populated regions of Cyphrus. Would a family unit of this size (approximately 20 members) be mostly made up my character's mates, her children, with additional females with their own children? Or is it more likely that my character would be living with her own parents, her parents' multiple mates and all her siblings?
I really want to depict the culture of the Zith well so I would greatly appreciate any advice as to the family structure of this race. Thank you!
Tisk
Smile...you're about to die...

Words: 13310
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2015, 10:43 am
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on November 28th, 2015, 12:22 pm

I don't have answers to all your questions but I have a couple things to note.

Zith age/mature twice as fast so they would be mature (and likely having kids) at 10 or 11. Females always give birth to twins and can have kids as often as twice every year. So as a result you're probably looking at very large families.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Ruari Darkwind on November 28th, 2015, 7:55 pm

The single family structure could actually (and might when it comes to NPC Zith) invlude both the parents, aunts and uncles, and children in the family. As a PC you are allowed to build it how you want; if your character is the kind to move from her family (as Zith are often to break from larger colonies and create smaller ones) its not too big a step to say she did it and now she lives with her mate and children.

These little breakaways would probably entail relatives more than a random collection of adults with their children, unless they were close friends. Zith dynamics are crazy intense, though; when I played one, she would personally approve of a Zith family living out in the wilderness.

Frankly, though, you could build the Zith group as you'd like. It could be some females that banded together with their mates and built it up like that, or a family that broke apart to find greener pastures for hunting or really any other dynamic that would suit your character.
Ruari Darkwind
skulls.

Words: 62295
Joined roleplay: August 23rd, 2015, 3:15 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tisk on November 29th, 2015, 3:54 am

Thank y'all so much for the input!
Tisk

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Threnody on December 2nd, 2015, 10:30 am

:D Well hello there fellow fluffy winged one! Great to make your acquaintance.

But to add my little tuppence:
Zith family dynamics also depend on things like the type of Ziths. The somewhat more "civilized" (Meaning they don't always eat you . . . Doesn't make what they do instead any more pleasant.) Tend to stick together (Like at the Xy Colony) and form huge family groups which then argue and bicker and fight almost constantly when they aren't hunting, eating or pursuing other base desires.
I think Zith who keep slaves purely as a food store form smaller groups due food supply. Hence the breakaways, which then have to find their own territory to hunt in.

Zith families can be surprisingly close though, in their try-to-claw-your-eyes-out kinda way.

Let me know if you wanna debate anymore Zithy things :P I absolutely love picking at the brains of the odd creatures. And if you're ever in Kalinor look Threnody up XD I'm sure the Symenestra wouldn't mind, they have an entire building just for Zith.
Threnody
Player

Words: 9843
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2015, 7:09 pm
Character sheet

Postby Yisanareysin on December 2nd, 2015, 4:37 pm

The zith were Octobers Featured Race, so you might want to look through this thread too. Good luck, and welcome to mizahar :3
ImageImageImage
Yisanareysin
Sneaky Snake Spy Extraordinaire

Words: 314458
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2014, 7:40 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 2nd, 2015, 5:08 pm

Try not to read too much into Zith too. They are intelligent but that doesn't mean they have social structures like other sentient people are. I suspect a male might sire children on a sibling, daughter, and possibly a mother as well through the course of his life. There isn't, in my mind, that much family structure to a colony. They are possessive, understand slavery, etc... but I don't see them as big monogamous folks.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Threnody on December 2nd, 2015, 7:11 pm

Gossamer wrote:Try not to read too much into Zith too. They are intelligent but that doesn't mean they have social structures like other sentient people are. I suspect a male might sire children on a sibling, daughter, and possibly a mother as well through the course of his life. There isn't, in my mind, that much family structure to a colony. They are possessive, understand slavery, etc... but I don't see them as big monogamous folks.

Definitely, from what I've read on the wiki and Gillar's posts (amazing help on understanding Zith I must say) Males and Females both have an extensive array of mates, and due to the speedy development (adulthood beginning at 10 years) they could easily sire with daughters and sons could even sire with mothers and such. However they do have a sort of age based hierarchy with the oldest generation "leading" the Zith, whether or not this affects descendant siring or such *shrug*. But they do also take slave mates as well, so Zith have a pretty extensive network of mates, and they usually mate directly after a hunt, hence their numbers grow rapidly. Which also causes splitting where groups leave to find better territory.

As far as I understand it, the generation hierarchy is the extent of Zith organisation. Buildings are a relatively new concept to them after all.
Threnody
Player

Words: 9843
Joined roleplay: November 9th, 2015, 7:09 pm
Character sheet

Postby Tisk on December 5th, 2015, 7:05 am

Thanks for all the information! Currently waiting to have my character approved but hopefully I'll be posting new topics soon!
Tisk

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets