[Syliran Fields] Harvest Helper (Jeremy)

Orin and Jeremy help out the beleagured farmers of Mithryn Outpost with their water problem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Orin Fenix on April 12th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Orin hadn’t ever met anyone who had such a similar experience to Orin’s own. The only difference being was that while Orin had gotten out it seemed that Jeremy was still trapped. However, the man seemed to be holding up all right and Orin figured that a man with a Gnosis mark could get gainful employment anywhere. So Jeremy probably stayed here by choice. If that was so, Orin wasn’t going to question it but still, it seemed a bit odd. However Orin didn’t want to jeopardize what could turn into an actual friendship by pushing Jeremy too far. So Orin settled for a simple smile and a nod. ”Exactly. And I’m happy to return here as long as I don’t run into any of the people, y’know? Not like the physical location has any problems for me.” That wasn’t quite true but Orin didn’t want to get into the details of his past. His old home would probably evoke some negative memories and emotions. But that was far away from here. And Orin didn’t exactly like the fields but that was more because every time he went there Orin would be employed in horribly backbreaking labor.

Kind of like he was doing right now as he dug this trench. Orin pressed the blade of his shovel into the dirt one more time, tossed it over his shoulder, then gave it up as his muscles declared continuing to dig a lost cause. Shading his eyes, Orin glanced down the ditch. It covered the entire length of the field at this point and while it wasn’t entirely straight and even and the depth tended to vary greatly, it hopefully would would do the job. Resting his arms at his side, Orin turned to look at Jeremy across the trench. ”Think we could take a break? Or move on to something else? My muscles are a bit worn out. Didn’t realize that a season without doing any work on a farm would make that much of a difference. Of course, most times I shirked my duties out in the fields which in retrospect didn’t help too much with the being disliked by the farmers now that I come to think of it.” Orin had to chuckle at that. At the time Orin had felt that it was unreasonable for the men and women of Mithryn to force him to do a job that Orin was so obviously unsuited for. And now here he was, willing toiling away for the promise of practically nothing except helping out those he’d come to know and maybe even care for.

When the conversation came back to Jeremy’s abilities as a Kelvic, Orin frowned. He felt the other man was selling himself far too short and Orin took it upon himself to try and rectify that situation. ”I wouldn’t say that. I am the one that’s not that interesting. You, on the other hand, have experienced the joys of the open sky and the thrill of the hunt in a way that no human possibly could. I’ll never be able to look down from above and see the people in this fields, in this settlement, or anywhere from above, with a literal bird’s eye view. I’ll never be able to feel the wind through feathers or anything that you get from being able to fly and shift. So, don’t ever forget that. Whatever else comes from being a Kelvic at least there’s some good.” Orin averted his eyes. He’d made a speech and he was understandably embarrassed. After all, Orin didn’t know anything about being a Kevlic. Therefore, Orin didn’t really have anything to base his words off of other than a vague sense that they needed to be said and Jeremy needed to hear them. Orin had run into quite a few incredible individuals in his short time in Syliras and it was amazing the number of times Orin had to point out what was exceptional about them. Too often, Orin had found that people took the abilities that they were born with for granted and it wasn’t until Orin pointed out to them how unusual it really was that they even started thinking about it. Hopefully that was the case with Jeremy as well.

However, when Jeremy explained the concept of a bondmate to Orin, Orin felt that he might have just made a huge mistake. The price of being a Kelvic seemed steep indeed. Or at least, it would be for Orin. Orin had a quite understandable fear of attachments. While Orin was perfectly happy to help others and even tentatively had a few people that he would consider friends that didn’t actually extend to letting them into Orin’s own mind and hearing his darkest secrets. In fact, the only person who knew Orin’s whole history had been someone who needed to hear it before Orin felt they could begin to cope with their own demons. Orin was hardly expecting to see her again. Orin would try and put a positive spin on it for Jeremy. ”I don’t see what’s so bad about that though. I mean, bonding sounds like it would be beneficial to both partners. Am I missing something?” Orin’s voice lacked the conviction with which Orin had been speaking earlier. However, Orin did his best to keep it light as he could. Just because Orin had some formidable mental barriers didn’t mean that Jeremy had the same problems that Orin did. In fact Orin didn’t think it was typical for people to have the types of boundaries Orin had when it came to forming relationships of any kind.

Orin waved off the compliments, blushing. Of course, Orin had just been expounding on Jeremy’s virtues so it was only fair to let the other man have his turn. Still, the man seemed to want to change the subject away from himself and Orin figured that they could probably do that for Orin as well. However, Orin’s hopes were soon dashed when Jeremy asked Orin about what he did in his spare time. ”Well, I don’t have a lot of spare time so that’s the first thing you should know. Mostly I work. Sometimes in the morning I work out and train my weapons skills, but that’s just a silly activity. I’m about as far from a fighter as it’s possible to be.” It was true. Orin’s martial abilities had actually gotten laughed at multiple times by the true warriors in the Fighter’s Pits. Still, Orin ignored them. He was training for himself and not for them so their opinions didn’t matter unless they had something constructive to add. Realizing something important Orin glanced over at Jeremy. ”So, what do you do with you time, free or otherwise? I can’t remember if you told me what you did for a living. I got a bit distracted there didn’t I?”
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Jeremy Casing on May 2nd, 2015, 5:22 pm

"Have you ever lived anywhere else, beyond Syliras?" Jeremy asked. He had seen relatively little of the world in his short life, having been born in Sunberth and now residing in the Mithryn. Apart from a brief stay in Riverfall, Jeremy had never left the immediate area of Sylira.

And that wasn't because he wasn't interested in the other cities. Quite the opposite: as a boy, he had longed to travel to Alvadas and Windreach. But the Phylonurist couldn't in good faith leave behind one city without achieving some kind of natural balance. He needed to fight in the corner of Caiyha, against the many forms of man-made pollution and abuse of nature.

"Bonding is meant to be beneficial to both parties, yes." He replied in response to Orin's earlier question, "but I think it's just... something you can't imagine without having experiencing it first. Like being in love, almost." The comparison was embarrassing and cliché, but it was the best example Jeremy could muster. He couldn't imagine how bonding would benefit him; would it make the Kelvic more confident? Unlikely. He'd been personally selected by a Goddess and still struggled to pluck up the courage to start a conversation with a stranger. But nevertheless, Jeremy desired such a bond more than he had ever wanted anything before. In an attempt to keep their conversation light, he threw Orin a crooked smile and shrugged his right shoulder, "I'll let you know what it's like when it happens, I guess."

Jeremy considered the human's modest description of his combat skills. Though he'd never desired to learn how to yield a sword himself, Jeremy could still admire the talent of a skilful warrior. But the idea of take up lessons himself was laughable. Jeremy's form was thin and flimsy, with narrow shoulders and bony angles. Even a child's sword would look comically big in held in his long-fingered hands. "Oh, you can't be that terrible." He urged. "At least you practise. You can only get better with practise."

Those final words sent a cool chill down the Kelvic's spine. His father had said the very same thing to him as a boy. Richard Casing was a great ox of a man - his Kelvic form was a bull, after all. Despite Richard's affections, his disappointment in having a weak-muscled son like Jeremy had been obvious. The feathered boy had taken after Susanne Casing, his timid little mother.

"Oh, I'm an animal handler here. My gnosis in that regard." He let out a deep-throated chuckle. " But on my days off, I spend my time reading or attempting to train my two pets. I'm planning on digging up a garden in the front of my home soon, after the waters have been drained away. So that'll keep me busy." The descriptions of his free time sounded pathetic, Jeremy thought. The Kelvic may have mentioned to Orin that the he preferred his own company, but this was a whole new level of... loneliness.

And he loved it.

"Oi! You two have earned yourselves a break."

Jeremy turned in the direction of the gruff voice, recognising it as belonging to one of the farmers. Albert was an old man, but spending his life working the Mithryn fields had weathered his already wrinkled face even more severely. It suited his dry personality, his eternal bitterness. The elderly man hobbled across the grass with impressive elegance and speed. After reaching Orin and Jeremy, he declared without pausing for breath, "you better get on and out of 'ere otherwise you'll be drawn back by some other bugger."
That's as close to thanks as we'll get, Jeremy thought. He handed Albert his shovel and indicated to Orin, "would you like to see if anything about the Mithryn has changed since you were last here?"

oocSo sorry for the delay!
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Words: 151300
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2014, 2:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orin Fenix on May 3rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

Orin shook his head at Jeremy's question. "No I haven't. Maybe one day I'll travel." Orin had gotten an urge recently to go beyond the narrow confines of Syliras and the world he knew. It was like an itch he couldn't scratch. Far more terrifying, though was the idea of traveling in places he'd never been before without protection of any kind. If Orin ran into monsters and danger on a regular basis here in Syliras and its surrounding countryside there was no telling what he'd encounter out in the wide world. Beyond that Orin was rather strapped for cash at this moment in time. He couldn't really afford to go anywhere anytime soon. So Orin was incredibly torn on what he wanted, although at this juncture Orin didn't actually have a choice. In a few years once Orin had saved up and honed his abilities maybe then he'd have his chance. "Have you ever been anywhere else? And do you want to?" Orin figured that someone with a Gnosis mark like Jeremy's would be welcome anywhere. Also as a Kelvic who could transform into a hawk Orin thought that travel might be significantly easier. Transporting one's possessions might be a slight logistical problem though.

Orin chuckled at Jeremy's description of bonding as being similar to being in love. That wasn't an area that Orin had any expertise in. Nor did Orin foresee ever finding someone to love him. He was far too awkward and not nearly handsome enough to make up for it. Not that Orin had ever put himself out there. If he was being honest the idea frankly terrified him. Love wasn't necessarily good. In Orin's experience, which he would admit was far from the norm, it was actually harmful to all involved. After all, Orin's father had loved his mother so much and so fiercely that when he'd lost her, Orin's father had gone insane. And it had broken the man, to the point where he was sickened by the sight of his own son because Orin had been a tangible reminder of what his father had lost. So, Orin figured that bonding wasn't going to be something Orin sought out or welcomed with open arms either. That kind of deep emotion never went well. Orin tried to stay fairly level and cheerful because he was scared of what would happen and who he would become if he gave in to his darker or just stronger feelings. "Sounds kind of similar to finding a limb you never knew you lost maybe? I'm not good with the whole emotional or the whole social thing. Never been in love. How about you?" Orin just nodded at Jeremy's final comment on the matter. Orin doubted they'd see each other for a very long time since Orin didn't get down to Mithryn that much and he was getting the impression Jeremy didn't head up to Syliras that much. Still it seemed harmless enough. Orin liked Jeremy and wouldn't actually mind spending more time with the man if it ever worked out that way.

Orin snorted. "You would think that. But somehow I still am terrible. I think I'm just not cut out for it." Orin had improved since he'd first started training, it was true. But he still feared combat and everything fighting related. The issue wasn't so much with his actual combat abilities as with his lack of confidence and justified avoidance of actually testing his skill. After all, Orin didn't see the point in putting himself through more pain than he had to. He could just rely on others for protection. Then again, that was risky. Orin would just try to stay away from situations where his life would be in danger. That sounded like a simple proposition but Orin had been in too many of them to feel safe. Looking over at Jeremy Orin noticed that the other man didn't seem to have the tell-tale signs of someone who fought for a living. "How about you. Do you ever train?" Orin would honestly like to know, since Jeremy had a similar build to Orin. Orin figured any weapon that Jeremy could use would suit Orin as well.

Orin's previously serious thoughts took a decidedly cheerful and playful turn at the mention of Jeremy's job and the man's pets. "Yes your mark does sound useful in that profession. You can literally get it from the horse's mouth, if you know what I mean." Orin grinned. It was probably a terrible joke in the grand scheme of things but Orin was pretty terrible at verbal wordplay at the best of times. And he didn't know Jeremy that well so the fact that he made a joke at all showed that nearly a season in Syliras had done wonders to cure Orin's social anxiety. If anything, Orin had actually grown worse at actually interacting with people but he didn't get worried at every new turn in a conversation. That made him less careful and circumspect but not as many people seemed to mind Orin's chatter as he'd thought.

Orin hesitated only briefly before asking Jeremy about his own pet. He didn't know if Jeremy tried to separate his job and his free time, but Orin figured based on his treatment of the ladybug and his association with Caiyha the man wouldn't mind. And Orin could lead up to it gently, as it were. "Well I'm impressed that you can keep up with two pets. What are they? I'd love to meet them. If I'd known I would have brought my cat, Ginger. She's a precocious little thing. To be honest I just got her and I have no idea what I'm doing with her, she just kind of showed up and started following me around. Got any tips? In fact she'd tried to come with him today and Orin had barely managed to leave her behind. It was uncanny how much she infiltrated Orin's life, especially since Orin was certaIn he wasn't taking proper care of her and she had to have come from somewhere. Orin was doing his best though and he'd come to enjoy having the company Ginger provided.

Orin nearly jumped for joy when Jeremy brought up gardening. It was funny how much they seemed to have in common interest wise, considering they were two wildly different people. "So what're you growing? I recently got a few cooking herbs for the tavern I work at. You going to grow medicinal plants or decorative ones?" Orin would've offered to help but he didn't know how often he could make it down to Mithryn. Still it might be a fun diversion. "I've never started a garden from scratch though. I'd love to learn and if you need a hand I'd be happy to help." Orin tried to keep his voice from becoming too eager but he couldn't prevent it entirely. He didn't really think Jeremy would mind though. The man obviously liked people who liked nature. While Orin didn't necessarily care for the wild places, he did like plants and animals. And he tried to use every part of every ingredient that came through his kitchen. In fact, he prided himself on it, though it stemmed more from thrift then actually trying to cut down on his impact. Orin decided Jeremy would approve either way.

As an older farmer approached and kindly relieved them from their work, Orin breathed a sigh of relief. His muscles burned from the labor. Orin had been about ready to drop where he stood. Apparently he'd been working out an entirely different set of muscles. The ones he used for fighting didn't seem to help much when it came to digging. And Orin wasn't all that strong to begin with. He wasted no time in passing off his shovel to the farmer and following Jeremy. At the Kelvic's words Orin raised an eyebrow. His response was quite matter of fact. "It's been a season so I doubt that much has changed. If there's any new buildings maybe show them to me. If not, why don't you show me your favorite haunts or places to visit." Orin didn't particularly have much interest in becoming reacquainted with the Mithryn he knew. But maybe seeing it from Jeremy's perspective would reveal something that Orin had missed.

OOCNo worries, glad to have you back
Last edited by Orin Fenix on May 16th, 2015, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Jeremy Casing on May 16th, 2015, 12:08 pm

"I was briefly in Riverfall late last year. I didn't stay long." Jeremy replied with a shrug. As part of his gnosis, the Phylonurist felt the desire to visit other cities in order to restore the balance of nature and urbanicity. It was a daunting, exhausting task. But Riverfall had, in comparison to Sunberth and even Syliras, been fairly pleasant. There'd been plenty of parks and the people typically appreciated nature. He'd nevertheless been restless, and made the relatively short journey via wings back to Syliras. "It's a very beautiful place."

Had Jeremy ever been in love? The question almost made him bark with laughter. His immediate answer was Gods no! Of course not. But the more he thought about it, the more Jeremy's answer changed. He was certainly attracted to women. He'd even had sex before, but the event had come and gone so quickly that neither Jeremy nor his partner had truly registered it as a meaningful act. Since then, such romances had not been at the forefront of his mind. Jeremy was not looking for love. If he met someone who was happy to share her mate with Caiyha, he definitely wouldn't complain. "No, I've never been in love with a woman before. But Caiyha? My gnosis? Definitely."

"And no," he continued after a brief smirk, "I've never trained with a weapon. The closest I come to are my talons. They're helpful but..." Jeremy paused. He'd only used those wicked falcon's talons whilst hunting. Except when...

Images of a fat boy's bloody face sparked through Jeremy's mind. Matthew Blecker: long-time bully and full-time prick. It had been the fat kid's torturing of animals that had thrown Jeremy into a rage. As a falcon, he'd dived onto the lad and tore open Blecker's cheeks and skin. Caiyha had later rewarded him, but the act had haunted Jeremy well into adulthood.

He brushed the thoughts away with an awkward cough. Some things, though worth it in the end, would never be easy for him to deal with. "I should perhaps train in some weapon." He admitted in a thick voice, "for protection at the very least. But... I wouldn't even know where to start." Should Jeremy ever be mugged or robbed, he simply wouldn't stand a chance. He was a too lanky to be intimidating on his own, and the idea of him weilding a weapon was almost comical. There was a reason the nickname beanstalk had haunted him since his boyhood.

As the conversation topic changed from weapons to pets, Jeremy's mood brightened up significantly. "I don't so much keep up with them as let them run amuck in my home...." He offered with a smirk, "But I have a cat called Jip and a puppy called Jester." The former was a typically aloof feline, the latter an energetic and loving sheepdog. His brows knotted together briefly upon Orin's question. "I think it very much depends on each animal. They vary so much, just like people." It was a common mistake for the Mithryn farmers to colour all of their livestock as the same depending on species: cows were dumb, sheep were plaintive, goats were stubborn. But Jeremy had experience with cows that were smarter than any man, and goats that were so laid back they were practically horizontal. But now wasn't the time to discuss the varied psychologies of farm animals. "Perhaps she doesn't know what she's doing with you, either. Just be affectionate and respectful. And a way to any cat's heart is fish." He advised with a smile.

Jeremy's grin widened as Orin's enthusiasm for gardening became obvious. It was a pleasant change talking to someone who seemed to have interests so in line with his own. "I've just got some vegetables growing at the moment. I might grow medicinal plants in the summer, maybe. But for now, I just want to practise." Jeremy had spent an entire day churning the soil of his garden and planting out the saplings given to him from a generous farmer. It had been hugely rewarding, and whenever he watered or weeded the plants, the Kelvic felt a further glimmer of pride. "I appreciate the offer, and I'll let you know if I need any assistant. It's likely I will at some point." Despite his prayers to Bala, Jeremy was far from a skilled gardener.

They left the fields and Jeremy came to a slow stop. Where did he enjoy spending his time in Mithryn? The answer was pretty sad: in his own home, with Jip and Jester. Thinking of which... "If you don't mind, we could drop by my home and pick up Jester. She'll appreciate the company and the exercise."

The Mithryn was as busy as ever, with tired-looking farmers and even more exhausted-looking farmer's wives bustling to and fro like worker ants. But as the two men walked through the commune, the crowds thinned until the voices were almost behind them. Eventually, they stood outside Jeremy's home; a small cottage with a tidy-looking garden at the front. The sound of exciting barking greeted them both as Jeremy led Orin to the front door. He'd barely opened the door an inch before a streak of black and white flung itself out, and suddenly a sheepdog pup was running about Orin's legs, sniffing and hitting his calves with her thrashing tail. "This is Jester. Apologies for the... excitement of it all." At the sound of her master's voice, Jester threw ImageJeremy a questioning look. As there eyes met, the Phylonurist communicated the sensations of calm and guest. With a guilty whine, Jester sent Orin an apologetic glance. "Shall we go?"

oocHope you don't mind me moving things along! Let me know fi you want me to tweak anything :)
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orin Fenix on May 18th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Orin tilted his head quizzically. He'd never heard of this Riverfall before, or at least he didn't think he had. The name itself seemed exotic compared to some of the other cities Orin had learned about. "And where is Riverfall, exactly?" Orin figured it was a good distance away. Although it might be relatively close. Orin's knowledge of the world outside of Syliras was severely limited. Perhaps it might be a good idea to correct that lack, starting now. "What were you doing there, if you don't mind me asking?" Orin had learned that bombarding people with questions was just likely to make them clam up. So Orin would take this slow and steady to avoid antagonizing Jeremy. However when Jeremy mentioned how gorgeous the city was Orin had a bit of a hard time keeping his curiosity in check. "How so? I mean what about it was so nice? And if you liked it there so much why didn't you stay instead of coming back to this?" Orin gestured trying to encompass the fields and the Outpost. If Orin had a choice he'd live elsewhere too. Unfortunately he didn't and was stuck with his lot in life.

Orin watched Jeremy's face carefully. Many different expressions crossed it in a short amount of time. Orin didn't know Jeremy well enough to be able to determine what the man was thinking from his face alone. Actually that particular skill wasn't something Orin could do well in general. Orin was working on it but it was slow. Orin didn't really spend enough time around people, if he could help it, to make those sorts of judgements. When the Kelvic finally spoke Orin couldn't help the wry amusement that built up in himself. And Orin didn't bother to keep it out of his voice either. "Replace Caiyha with cooking and gnosis with kitchen and you've described me in a nutshell." Orin was mostly glad that Jeremy seemed to have the same sort of obsession and passion for his chosen path in life as Orin did. Of course, Orin figured that Jeremy basically had to, although Orin wasn't entirely sure how gnosis marks and the divine worked. Orin had a healthy respect for the deities and Orin worshiped the brighter ones among them. But Orin kept his regard at a distance. For one, Orin didn't think that divine intervention in his life would necessarily be good for Orin's health and well-being. Mostly though, Orin just assumed that one such as he was far beneath the notice of anything so powerful. After all, there was no reason a god or goddess would take interest in a simple chef.

Orin looked at Jeremy sideways when the subject of weapons came up again. The Kelvic seemed suddenly riddled with doubts. Then again, those talons sounded brutal. Orin probably wouldn't want to tangle with an angry hawk with the intelligence of a human. Still Orin knew little of Kelvics and their other forms. Maybe there were situations where Jeremy couldn't shift or maybe the shift wasn't necessarily instantaneous. In those situations it would be good for the other man to be able to defend himself in human form. Besides, training with a weapon also helped Orin think about combat in new ways even as it scared him half to death. Orin sized Jeremy up in what he hoped was a friendly way. For once Orin's stature would do him some good. He and Jeremy seemed to have very similar body types and therefore would have to rely on skill and speed rather than brute strength unless Kelvics were stronger than humans. "Well. I'm certainly not an expert on fighting, obviously, but unless your wrists are significantly stronger than they look I'd suggest starting with dagger." Orin patted the daggers at his hips. He'd taken to carrying them pretty much everywhere. They didn't weigh much, so there was no reason not to. Orin stretched his lips in an almost apologetic smile. "I'm also not much of an instructor but I could show you a few tips." Orin hadn't actually taught a complete beginner about daggers before. So Orin was torn between his desire to help Jeremy and the knowledge that if Orin started off with bad advice the terrible habits would be harder to break later on.

Turning from weapons to pets did a lot to cheer Orin up. Talking about anything weapon related was enough to send Orin into a foul mood because it reminded Orin of his fear of combat. So the change in topic was welcome. Orin had to laugh at the description of carefully controlled chaos the pets brought to Jeremy's life. It sounded so similar to Orin's experiences with Ginger and the few instances Orin had with other animals that Orin couldn't help but sympathize with Jeremy. "Aye I know how that feels. Live in a place for seasons and in two ticks this animal claims it and occasionally deigns to tolerate your presence." Orin realized he was overly dramatizing everything and shrugged. "That was a bit unfair. They are, pets I mean, well they're wonderful companions too and lovely guests. The gods know I'd be lonely without Ginger in my life." Orin clamped his mouth shut. He hadn't at all been intending to let that last bit slip out but now it was out in the open. It was true Orin didn't have a lot of close friends in his life, mostly by personal choice. He had problems letting people get close and isolated himself from social situations if he could. Still there was not really a good reason for Orin to feel alone. Orin was grateful when the conversation moved on to how Orin should treat Ginger. "Oh believe me I knew about the fish trick. And I'll be as kind as I know how. Guess the two of us will just have to work things out." Orin gave Jeremy a thankful glance. Even if the man's advice hadn't been specific Orin at least felt that now he was on the right track with his cat.

Orin nodded thoughtfully at Jeremy's statement that he was sticking to vegetables until he was a more experienced gardener. It made sense. Vegetables were a lot hardier and a lot more readily available, especially in a farming community such as Mithryn, than the few medicinal herbs Orin knew about. Admittedly Orin didn't know many herbs with healing properties but Orin assumed from how much he paid doctors for them that they were a bit harder to maintain than vegetables. "That makes sense. What exactly are you growing? I don't think I'd have much luck starting a proper garden in Syliras but you never know." Orin shrugged. Obviously land that was open to the area was severely limited which made gardening significantly more difficult unless Orin exclusively grew plants that thrived in darkness. Orin didn't know of any of the top of his head that did that which probably meant that they weren't useful for Orin's purposes. Still trading tips with a fellow gardener wasn't something Orin got to do all that often and it was refreshing. "How big is your lot? And I'm happy to help as long as it's during my free time. Otherwise I don't think my bosses would be too happy with me." Actually they'd be furious, Rondo especially but Orin was getting pretty good at making up excuses not to be in the kitchen. Orin could just say he was examining the possibility of a new crop The Rearing Stallion would like to source and purchase. Building relationships with suppliers wasn't really Orin's job but he could tell them that having grown up in Mithryn gave him a unique perspective on the farmers here. And it probably wouldn't even be a lie.

All this talking had led them into the heart of the Outpost. Seeing Jeremy's hesitation Orin turned to look at the other man. At the suggestion they go to Jeremy's house and interact with his dog, Orin perked up immediately. "Lead the way." Orin stepped aside and indicated that Orin would follow the other man. They quickly left the bustling thoroughfares behind, if the main roads of Mithryn could even be called that, and stepped onto the side streets that Orin remembered from his childhood. Finally they stood before a cottage that looked similar to those surrounding it except for the carefully tended garden out front. Orin was about to ask about the plants again when Jeremy opened up the door and a blur of black and white that barked happily sped towards Orin and nearly slammed into Orin's lower legs. The enthusiasm with which the dog, who Orin assumed to be Jester, a suspicion quickly confirmed by Jeremy, was infectious. "Well aren't you a beauty." Orin sank down into a crouch and held out his right hand for the pup to sniff. Jeremy and Jester seemed to be looking at each other so Orin guessed that they were communicating. When Jester whined Orin grinned at Jeremy, patiently keeping his palm out for Jester. Orin didn't know much about dogs but he'd seen people do this with unfamiliar animals. Presumably Jeremy would step in if Orin was doing something wrong. "No need for either of you to apologize. I could use a bit of excitement in my life." Orin didn't exactly have a great track record but maybe with Jeremy's help Orin could change all that.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Jeremy Casing on May 28th, 2015, 9:42 am

Jeremy chewed his bottom lip: a habit of his when he was thinking deeply. "Riverfall is to the West, near the Suvan Sea." He replied absently, though it was evident his concentration had not been focused on this part of his answer. After a chime or so, the Kelvic went on to try and explain his reasons for visiting and departing Riverfall. "I was trying to find somewhere to settle, and where I could also do my work as a Phylonurist. But I wanted to find somewhere that wasn't directly in the city. It's... tiring." He frowned minutely. As before, it was difficult to describe the pulls and desires he felt as one of Caiyha's select witches. "It's like solving a difficult puzzle every moment of every day. Even when I'm cooking or reading, I feel this need to heed Caiyha's word. And in a city, that pull is even stronger because of the misbalance between urban forces and natural forces." He tried to imitate this by wavering his two hands up and down, like a pair of imbalanced scales.

"The Mithryn suits me well. It is near a city, so I can visit and do what I must, but I can come away and rest when I need to. Plus, there are always other kinds of work here. Healing animals, working with plants." He gave a faint smile that dissolved as he compared his experience in the Outpost to Orin's. They were so similar in many ways, and yet the two men were at odds when it came to the farming community. To Jeremy, it was a haven. To Orin, it seemed haunted by past memories.

He nodded solemnly along as Orin spoke about his experience with the feline. "I always liked animals - I guess being Kelvic I can't not like them. But I remember just after I'd met Caiyha, and suddenly everything was... different." Another wistful smile pulled at the birdman's lips. His face, usually so pointed and avian-like, really did soften and brighten when he thought about the Goddess. "Before she blessed me, being with animals was like reading a book in another language. Sure, the pictures help you to know what's going on. If a dog growls, you know to back off. But now, I'm suddenly fluent in that language. I can look into the dog's eyes and understand that he's growling because he's in pain, or there's something that reminded him of a bad memory." Slowly, the smile turned into a frown. "But I find myself understanding them more than I understand other people. Maybe because I am Kelvic, I've always been torn between humanity and animals. But now I edge closer and closer to the latter."

Finally, he closed his lips. Jeremy couldn't remember the last time he'd offloaded so much information to another two-legged creature. He felt a mixture of relief and guilt. Orin was close to a stranger, after all. And yet he now knew more about Jeremy than anyone else in a fifty-mile radius. It made a change from sharing his thoughts with a cat or dog, though.

Jester delighted in licking Orin's face, bounding around him and head-butting his hands with her nose to demand his attention. Every so often, she would glance to her master and the two would share a long moment in silence, both staring at each other as some unspeakable message was communicated between them. Eventually, the puppy seemed to tire of harassing Orin and Jeremy, and she started to trot ahead of them, tail high in the air and twitching happily.
"If you ever decide you want a permanent source of excitement...." Jeremy started with a smirk, his hand gesturing to the pup ahead of them, "I'll rent Jester out to you at a bell at a time. I reckon you'll return her after two." The pride and affection in his voice was impossible to conceal. It was obvious Jeremy adored his canine companion, and the feeling appeared Imageto be mutual.

Up ahead of them, Jester led the way through the Mithryn Outpost, passing various houses and farming buildings.
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orin Fenix on June 4th, 2015, 2:03 am

The other shore of the Suvan Sea might well have been another world for all that Orin knew of it. In fact Orin barely knew anything about the sea itself beyond that Syliras was on it. His imagination painted fantastic pictures of the life that might be waiting just across the seemingly endless expanse of water that Orin had seen. Danger and adventure were there, of course, but more importantly in Orin's mind were the people Orin had yet to meet, the cultures Orin had yet to experience and the foods Orin had yet to taste. The great unknown was as exhilarating as it was terrifying. Orin placed Riverfall in the back of his mind as one of the many locations he should visit. From Jeremy's descriptions it sounded exotic but not so much that it would be overwhelming. When Jeremy spoke up again Orin turned to look at the other man. His words about being pulled in two directions at once felt similar to how Orin felt when he thought about leaving Syliras. His longing to leave and his conviction to stay were equally strong. And Orin knew exactly how tiring city life could be. Orin smiled but it was tinged with a bit of sadness. "I know what you mean. Sometimes in cities there’s just...too much. Too much of everything, if that makes any sense. I mean, obviously it’s different for you. But, well I try and just stay in the places that make me the most comfortable. The kitchen, my apartment. I don’t go out and do much. I know it sounds sad and lonely but, it’s not.” Orin paused, trying to find the right words to describe what he was trying to say. He wasn’t very eloquent and his feelings were nebulous but he felt it was important that he try. ”I mean, I don’t really like the crowds or the people either. That’s not what I’m there for. I’m there because it’s where I can pursue my passion, not necessarily because I feel that strongly about Syliras.” Orin realized that his statement painted in a bad light and hastened to correct it. ”Not that I don’t like Syliras, but, well, I can’t help feeling that there’s something else out there waiting for me.” Orin chuckled bitterly. It sounded so pathetic now that he said it out loud. ”I know how that sounds, but, it’s where I feel. I guess I want to see a bit more of the world before I decide on where I should settle down.” Orin hung his head, a little embarrassed. Syliras was the bastion of peace and civilization, and yet here Orin was wishing for more. He should’ve been grateful for everything he had not yearning for more. Orin didn’t even know if there was anything else for him, but he knew he would never forgive himself if he didn’t at least try.

However Orin didn’t have to try and explain himself any longer as Jeremy launched into his own bout of soul-searching. Orin stayed silent as Jeremy explained how he’d grown farther and farther away from people because of his Gnosis and his relationship with Caiyha. With the drive to bond, though, Jeremy must feel pulled in so many directions that Orin wouldn’t be surprised if the Kelvic found himself lost and confused. And it seemed a sad way to live, trapped between worlds as Jeremy was. Orin didn’t know how he could comfort the other man. But he knew that he had to try, and so Orin contemplated and discarded several different responses. As Orin was thinking, he ran his hands through his hair, leaving it sticking up. It was an unconscious tic that Orin had developed that showed up when Orin was either nervous or deep in thought.

Finally Orin settled on the words that he thought might do Jeremy the most good. ”Maybe…” Orin swallowed, his throat suddenly dry, before continuing more bravely. ”Maybe you just haven’t been hanging out with the right people. I mean, look at us. We’ve spent most of the day together and nothing too terrible has happened, has it?” Orin smiled gingerly at Jeremy, hoping the other man had found the day as enjoyable as Orin had. Otherwise this line of reasoning was likely to completely fail. ”So, if you and I, two people who I get the sense have thought we would never be able to interact with others in a meaningful way actually held conversations and put ourselves out there, don’t you think that means there’s hope for us yet? As Priskil teaches, don’t give up.” Orin was identifying more and more with that goddess. Her constant vigilance and her inability to let her husband slide spoke both to the determination of man and the fact that there was still goodness left in the world. Orin clung to that thread with everything he was. If he lost sight of that, even for a tick, Orin didn’t know if he could ever emerge from the despair into which he’d plunge. ”So I see, keep looking. You never know who you might meet in the most unlikely of places.” Orin bit his lip, unsure if he should stop now, but in the end he decided to continue. He felt that Jeremy needed to hear this and he himself needed a reminder. ”And I know this is going to sound annoying, but try to keep an open mind. The fastest way to shut people out is not to let them in in the first place.” Orin finally let himself trail off. Even though he was well aware that people didn’t particularly like getting life advice from him, Orin still felt compelled to give it. It was hard for him to see a person in pain and not try to do something to lift their spirits. In part, helping them let Orin keep his mental picture of a world where people were good and dreams could be fulfilled. And it also let Orin ignore his own internal problems in favor of others.

It was hard to keep such grim ideas in mind when the sun was shining and there was an eager puppy playing at their feet. Orin felt his momentary frown dissipate into the breeze and a silly grin slipped into place instead. Jester was seemingly everywhere as she demanded Orin’s attention and Orin was more than happy to lavish upon her the care and love she so obviously deserved. Orin was even startled to hear himself laughing as his hands found a particularly sensitive spot behind her ears and she went almost insane with glee. Finally though, she imperiously darted ahead, obviously intending to lead Orin and her master on a merry chase. Orin stood up and dusted himself off, smiling right back at Jeremy. ”As much as I’d love to, I think one pet’s enough for me. Besides, Ginger might not like me being divided in such a way.” Orin’s voice was clearly jesting. He could see why Jeremy preferred the company of animals to other people. If Orin had known pets like these growing up, he very well might prefer to be around them as well. Orin let his smile grow wider until it spread across nearly his entire face. ”Besides, I don’t know if my heart could take two hours of Jester.” The two of them set off to follow Jester, her enthusiasm bringing new light and life to the cottages of Mithryn, which Orin previously had been neutral too. He didn’t blame the people of the Outpost for his treatment at his hands, but it was hard to get over years of bad blood. Still, maybe this trek could change all that. Orin gave Jeremy a sideways glance. "We going somewhere in particular or just following the puppy? I'm fine just following the puppy, by the way. She's invigorating."
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Jeremy Casing on June 11th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Once again, Orin's words came as a relief for Jeremy. Here, standing before him, was another man who seemed to share his experience of being overwhelmed when in a city. Maybe the other male was just cruelly entertaining Jeremy, playing a game to give the Kelvic false hope. But that seemed to conflict with everything he'd learnt about Orin so far. The chef came across as a genuine person, one who was remarkably similar to Jeremy in many unexpected ways. "I think it's a smart idea." He said earnestly, amber eyes flickering from Orin to Jester, who trotted on up ahead. "I don't know if I'll travel anymore any time soon, but I can't imagine I'll stay in this area for life."

He gave a shrug. Ultimately, what Jeremy accomplished in his lifetime was severely limited by his short lifespan. As much ability and freedom his species had, their lives were often cut short. It explained why Jeremy's childhood had lasted all but a year, and why, at the grand old age of four, he was already a quarter through his life. This was not something he mourned however; for Jeremy, it was simply a fact of life. There were those whose lives were cut short at three years, and those that lives for hundreds of years. The Falcon saw no point in complaining about it.

His mind shifted form mortality to current conversation. Orin's words made Jeremy smile. The man had a point. "You're right." He said with a crooked smile and jaunty chuckle. "You're utterly right. I think sometimes I just convince myself that I don't understand people. And I don't, because I won't let myself. And so on, so on." He gestured a circle with his left hand, trying to show Orin the endless hopelessness and awkwardness he usually felt with other people. "I appreciate the advice. Thank you, Orin." Again his voice took hold of a soft, genuine tone. It was a rare thing for Jeremy to feel to appreciative of another being, especially a human. They were such tricky creatures to understand.

Not like dogs. Jester scampered up ahead, barking and sniffing as she went. To Orin's queston, Jeremy signalled to the dog and the pup came trotting back to her owner. "Do you fancy talking us on an adventure, Jester?" He ran a hand from the dog's nose up to her crown, before sliding his fingers down her spine. The affectionate touch ended with a pat to the rump. As if in reply to her master's question, Jester trotted off again, throwing both Jeremy and Orin a hopeful and excited look.

"I think that's Imagea yes." He translated to Orin, eyebrows quirked and lips smiling once again. Jester lead them through the Mithryn, stopping every so often to sniff at a particularly interesting wall or gate. Eventually, the puppy began to tire and slow down, now plodding her way through a series of farmhouses and other family homes.

For Jeremy, it was nothing more than a pleasant stroll.
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orin Fenix on June 13th, 2015, 5:39 pm

Orin smiled gratefully at Jeremy. The man seemed to agree with Orin’s assessment that he needed a change of pace. Most people in Syliras were rather content with their lot in life. They were safe, they had work, they had friends, they had family, and they had absolutely no imagination. Outside the walls of Syliras or the fields of Mithryn the world just did not exist. Maybe he was being uncharitable but Orin refused to believe that Syliras was the pinnacle of everything good. There were other cities, somewhere, that had so much to offer. He just knew there were new foods and new peoples waiting to be discovered by him. ”I’m glad you think so.” He chuckled, a mix of bitter and sarcastic, but certainly not cheerful. ”I was beginning to think I was going crazy.” He lowered his voice into a conspiratorial whisper and leaned in closer to Jeremy. ”So many people think that Syliras is the be all and end all, and I just...don’t. Not that I don’t think it’s an amazing place. But, well, I mean, there have to be other places out there just...waiting for me.” Although he tried to keep it light, Orin’s words gained a wistful almost melancholy tone. As Jester ranged ahead, occasionally stopping to examine an object by the side of the path, but mostly bounding with nearly endless energy that Orin envied. As his eyes tracked the pup, he completely missed Jeremy’s shrug and didn’t see the Kelvic slipping deep into his own thought. Orin was happy enough to sit there in what he saw as companionable silence.

Still, the conversation resumed and Orin was so happy that he’d managed to give out good advice that his grin could split his head in two. He rarely had his opinion sought out on anything, since a lowly assistant cook wasn’t exactly encouraged to have thoughts of his own. And he’d had so few friends, so few acquaintances even, that he didn’t really know what to expect when it came to them. Which was why he was so hesitant, even now. He was afraid one wrong move would make the tentative connection the two of them seemed to have shatter. And Orin had been suckered too many times by people who pretended to mean well then betrayed him at the first opportunity. So his heart was usually closed though. Still as more time passed and Jeremy stayed remarkably open and kindhearted, Orin was beginning to let his guard down. ”You’re welcome. And I’m definitely not saying it’s easy. Maybe just not as impossible as you might have thought.” Orin shrugged, but continued on. ”I mean, going to Sayana’s party was a good first step. Maybe just keep an eye out for other similar situations?” It wasn’t much but it was a start. And Orin would probably do well to heed his own advice, especially considering his resolution for the year was to be more adventurous.

Jester came back and Orin got down on his knees again to give her better access to him. He was rewarded for his vigorous scratching behind her ears with a long lick to the face. He laughed outright, wiping it off on his sleeve. As Jeremy petted her and asked her to lead the way, Orin smiled, filled with a sudden joy for the simple pleasures in life. He felt he sometimes lost track of them and it was important that he didn’t. Straightening up, Orin brushed the dust from the path from his knees. ”I’d say that’s a definite yes.” Jester led the two of them on a merry chase all throughout Mithryn. While they weren’t necessarily having trouble keeping up they didn’t have a lot of breath to spare for chatter. Finally, though, even Jester had to give up, and they were able to catch up with her somewhere in the residential district.

Orin had been too busy keeping track of the dog to keep track of their surroundings so he scanned the nearby cottages. Then he froze, stomach knotting up. His right hand came up to his throat and the sudden ball of dread he felt there while his other hand curled across his body. He sank in on himself, suddenly transported to another place and another time. The last time Orin had stood in this spot he’d been screaming in fury and depression and pain, while the ruins of his childhood home smoldered before him. Of course they rebuilt it. No space or materials in Mithryn or Syliras ever went to waste, he knew that. But it was one thing to know it intellectually and another thing entirely to see the memory of his tragedy wiped from the face of the earth. He’d always been planning to come back here and mourn his losses but it had hurt too much and he’d never gotten around to it. Now the chance had been taken out of his hands entirely. He wanted to rage and kick the ground. But that wasn’t what adults did, and it wouldn’t bring his father back. There was a roiling ball of conflicting emotions spreading through him and he didn’t know how to make it better.

A woman stepped out of the cottage’s door, a basket of what was likely laundry to be hung under one arm. It was so utterly normal and domestic, so totally unlike anything that Orin had ever had in his life in that place, that a choked sob escaped him despite his desperate attempts to hold it back. She paused, looking at them quizzically. ”May I help you?” Tears stinging his eyes, Orin forced himself to shake his head and respond to her. ”No, thank you ma’am, we were just passing by.” He turned, well aware that she watched him as he set off again in pursuit of Jester. Her eyes bored into the back of his head, and Orin very carefully didn’t look at Jeremy.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayana on December 5th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Orin
Skills
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Agriculture: 3
  • Digging: 5
  • Bodybuilding: 5
  • Storytelling: 3
  • Interrogation: 5
  • Rhetoric: 3
  • Philosophy: 1
  • Teaching: 2
  • Socialization: 2
Lores
  • Land Navigation: Asking for directions
  • Agriculture: Creating ditches to help drain a flooded field
  • Jeremy: Quiet, reserved, and with many similarities to Orin
  • Jeremy: Marked by Caiyha
  • Jeremy: Kelvic Gyrfalcon
  • How a gnosis mark looks and its moving quality
  • Jeremy: Animal handler at the Mithryn Outpost
  • Jeremy: Likes gardening
  • Socialization: Exercising empathy by sharing a difficult past
  • Riverfall: To the west of Syliras and near the Suvan Sea
  • Jeremy's pets: Jip and Jester
  • Mithryn Outpost Location: The place of the fire

Jeremy
Skills
  • XP
Lores
  • Lore:
Comments
If you become unretired, PM me and I will grade this.

Comments: Lovely thread. It was enjoyable reading about how well Orin and Jeremy connected and shared similar lives. I didn't award full points for Socialization/Rhetoric due to Orin's already high levels but there were a couple times where he really connected with Jeremy and I thought they were appropriate.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous