Completed [The Docks] Cleaning the Scum

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Docks] Cleaning the Scum

Postby Rickard on September 6th, 2015, 1:45 am

1 Fall 515 AV

A dark corner. A sea-breeze. The luxury of the outdoors. A new moon. A torch, going out. A belligerent drunk, ranting, his hair like fire. A straw headed man, arguing. A knife, threatening. A knight on patrol, passing. An order to stand down, echoing. A sword, drawn.

The red haired man turned and charged at Rickard, running with the knife ahead of him, as the blond one scrambled away. It didn't look like it could pierce Rickard's armor, but Rickard wasn't about to risk it. He wished he had brought his shield on this patrol... He turned the blow aside before it could reach him, grabbed the man's right shoulder with his left arm, turned, threw him down- and heard the click of a crossbow bolt cinching into place just behind him.

"Drop the sword, Sir. Terribly sorry to trouble a Knight, but, well, how would you feel if you came upon me treating a friend of yours like this?"

Rickard growled, the sound emanating from low in his throat while the redheaded drunk scrambled to his feet and ran. "That man tried to attack me. He belongs in a cell. You as well, if you don't put that damnable thing down right now. If you come with me now, I will take you to the Council of Three. If you do not, then I swear to the Slain God that I will see you dead."

The man clicked his tongue. "Now, that's hardly the sort of talk that makes me want to take my finger off this trigger. I said put the sword down. There you go. Now, we'll just be leaving. Count to ten and I will be gone." The voice grew more distant. Rickard counted. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. He grabbed the sword and turned around, dropping to the ground. His armor slowed him, and the bolt aimed at his heart still pierced the leather and stuck in his right shoulder.

He finally saw the man who had dared to threaten a Knight. A scar ran up the right side of his face and neck, through his eye, and into his neatly cropped brown hair. Rickard took off after him in pursuit, fighting the pain in his shoulder.
Last edited by Rickard on September 12th, 2015, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rickard
Player

Words: 20246
Joined roleplay: April 7th, 2015, 3:50 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rickard on September 7th, 2015, 5:38 am

Rickard sheathed his sword as he ran, while the scarred man drew up a hooded cloak about his head. Rickard briefly thought about removing the bolt lodged in his left shoulder. No, he decided, I can't afford to lose track of this man. The taste of salt filled his mouth. Whether it was sweat or sea-breeze, he could not begin to guess.Focus. The word echoed through Rickard's mind, almost as though another had spoken it into him, rather than his own thoughts. He shook his head fiercely, growling, and turned to follow the scarred man down a narrow passage.

The guttering torchlight only barely keeping the other man in his view, Rickard ran. He ran through twists and turns, as the castle he thought he knew so well turned into a labyrinth of passages he had never seen through the docks. His vision blurred and swam. Were there two men in front of him for a moment? He dismissed it as mere fantasy. Finally, he thought he had cornered the hooded man- only to realize it was another man entirely.

"Lovely day for a jog, isn't it, Sir Knight?" said the red-haired man, grinning evilly as his eyes gleamed in the flickering light. He swayed side to side, clearly still well in his cups. "Why, I think I saw another man running near us. He looked to be enjoying himself."

Rickard's patience wore thin to the point of snapping. He cursed. "You are guilty of crimes against Syliras and its people," he said, his voice growing louder. He pulled his lips back, baring his pointed teeth threateningly. "Tell me where he has gone or I will slay you where you stand."

The drunken man's smile only grew. "I would hardly imagine you can catch him at this point. He'll be halfway to his ship by now, or so I must think. Tell me, just how fast can you run?"

Rickard took a moment to weigh his options. He could simply take this piece of trash to the Tank, and let the other escape... Or he could attempt to intercept the scarred man, and risk catching neither. He cursed again, drew his sword, and leveled its point at the drunken man's throat. He would take the bird in his hand over the two in the bush, and hope that its song led him where he needed to go.

"To the Tank with you, then," Rickard ordered. "Quickly, if you don't want to feel a little prick from this sword of mine." The man hesitated briefly, then obeyed.
Rickard
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rickard on September 9th, 2015, 10:05 pm

It was well past twenty second bell when Rickard strode into the Tank, sword drawn, the redheaded man ahead of him. The man's fear was finally getting to him. He trembled as he stepped over the threshold.

"Well met, Rickard!" Rickard heard the shout before he even saw Corben, the Knight on duty at the Tank. "And who's this that's with you?"

"I do not know his name," Rickard said, "but he attacked me, just to start. Then he intentionally prevented me from capturing another, who had threatened me and put this," he gestured to his shoulder, "in me." There are a few other crimes I know of, and doubtless many I do not. I would like to help you interrogate him, if you would be so kind." Rickard gestured to the bolt that was still lodged firmly in his left shoulder. "In the meantime, I think I should go and get this treated at the infirmary. I'll be back soon, and then we can have a little chat with our guest, yes?"

"Perfect."

As twenty third bell was ringing out, Rickard returned to the Tank, his shoulder bandaged and his armor patched. He saw Corben first this time. "Which cell is he in?" asked Rickard abruptly.

Corben smiled. "Hello to you, too. You do look better. Just through here," he said, rising from his seat and walking through an open door. "He might be sleeping. Shall we wake him if he is?"

"Absolutely. There is no time to waste."

They came upon the cell where the red haired man lay sleeping on a cot. Corben pulled a key from the pouch at his side, unlocked the door, and gestured for Rickard to enter. As Rickard walked into the cell, he noted that, while minimal, it was clean, and the cot in the corner looked soft enough. Corben prodded the redheaded man lightly with his foot. "Wake up!" he said sharply.

The man jumped, startled, and floundered to his feet, reaching for a knife that had already been taken from him. "What do you want?" he yelled.

"Calm down," said Corben gently. "We're not planning to hurt you. We just need to know some things."

"I won't say a thing!"

Rickard took a menacing step toward the drunk. "Then may I remind you," he said with all the quiet intensity of a gathering storm, "that we would be entirely within our rights if we did hurt you. Attacking a knight is punishable by death. Our questions are the only chance you'll get to see the Council of Three instead. Think on that for a moment."

The redhead stood defiant for the barest fraction of a second before his shoulders sagged and he slumped back down onto the cot with a weary sigh. "I suppose you're right. What do you need to know?"

Rickard pulled Corben to the side and whispered to him. "I'll do most of the work, since I know what's happened so far. It'll be easier than explaining it all to you. Watch him. See if he's lying about anything. If he contradicts himself, pounce. Will that work?" Corben nodded. "Good. Let us begin."
Rickard
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rickard on September 10th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Rickard casually put one hand on the hilt of his sword. Not a threat, but perhaps the shadow of one. "First off, what is your name?"

The redheaded man thought for a moment. "I don't really have a name, I suppose. Not anymore, at the least. I came in on a slave ship." He paused. "Will a number do?"

Rickard was taken aback. "A slave ship?" he asked. "In Syliras? How did it ever get into the Docks?"

The slave laughed bitterly. "Do you think every little official and functionary in the city is as virtuous as your order, Sir Knight? My master doesn't let slaves know his inner workings, of course, but I can guess. A bribed customs officer here, a threatened clerk there, and the ship has a berth for the night."

Rickard thought for a moment. "If you are a slave, then what were you doing roaming free on the Docks, let alone drunk as you were? Er, are."

"The master trusts me some. Well, he used to. I doubt he will when you're done with me."

"What do you mean by that, exactly?" interjected Corben.

The slave smiled weakly. "Would you trust someone who gave away your secrets?"

Corben grunted. "I suppose not."

"So, your Master. That would be the man with the scar, yes?"

The slave nodded. "That's correct. He does get a little more directly involved than you might expect, eh?"

Rickard shook his head. "I expect scum like that to get their hands dirty. Now, what is his name?"

The slave thought for a moment, then smiled slyly. "I want more than just a trial if I'm going that far. I want to go free for information like that."

Rickard leapt to his feet, drew his sword in one swift motion. "You cannot ask for that after assaulting a Knight! Your only choices are to speak and go before the Council, or stay silent and die!"

"Then I choose to die. I have had enough of servitude for one life."

Rickard stepped forward, sword raised... And stopped when he felt Corben's hand on his shoulder. "Leave him to me. I'll find out what he knows. You go get yourself a shield, and take some rest. I have a feeling we may need to fight if we can find our man. Come back in a bell or so."

Rickard stepped back and sheathed his sword. He hesitated for a moment, then left the cell. He thought for a moment, and decided that haste was needed. It was night. There are few enough about to be scared by him. He bundled his armor, clothes, and sword into his pack, and changed his shape into that of a wolf. Holding back the urge to howl, Rickard ran home as fast as four legs would carry him.
Rickard
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rickard on September 10th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Rickard returned to the Tank after midnight, human and clothed once more. Once again, he found Corben working there. "I know what we need to know," said Corben urgently. "We can't afford to lose any time. Follow me and I'll explain."

"Is he hurt?" Rickard asked.

Corben looked puzzled. "Why would he be hurt?"

Rickard sighed. "Never mind that. What did you find out?" They were walking back toward the Docks.

"A fair bit. The other man you mentioned, with the scar? His name is Andrew Karlas. He comes all the way from down in Kenash. Sells men and women to the Plantation owners. Normally he resupplies in Sunberth, but he had some food spoil and had to stop here instead. All the better for us."

Rickard snorted. "Better? I got shot."

"Yes, well, we all must sacrifice for the Order. Anyway. His ship is called the Carina. It was still in Harbor when the page I sent to check on it returned, and he carried an order that no ship would be allowed to leave."

They walked on, discussing possible contingencies and their plans for them. "If there are too many..." "...mages..." "...if their weapons are..."

Finally, they reached the Docks. "It should be just over here... Dock A, Berth three... And there it is!" said Corben. The letters spelling out Carina in silver on the modest ship's side were faded, but still legible. "They all appear to be below decks. I'll lead. Don't hurt any of the slaves unless they attack you first."

Corben led on, leaping nimbly to the ship's deck from the dock, and Rickard followed. The boat swayed under their feet as they approached what appeared to be the captain's chambers. Then both of the Knights started as they heard a noise from behind. They turned quickly, drawing swords, too see a group of three burly sailors, clad only in simple loincloths. "Are you slaves?" asked Corben. One of them nodded. "Then come with us. We're here to free you."

The five men opened the door to the captain's room to find Andrew Karlas awake and waiting for them, crossbow loaded. Rickard heard the rasp of steel on leather behind him and turned about to see the three slaves, each holding a long knife. He drew his own sword and leveled it against them. "If you truly think that you four are a match for two Knights, then I welcome you to be proven wrong." The men stood strong, but one's confidence wavered, just for a moment. Rickard saw the slight lapse, and took advantage.

Jumping in, Rickard slashed the scared man across the knees before raising his leg and kicking the man in the chest, sending him toppling to the deck. Rickard drove the point of his sword through the man's thigh, ensuring he couldn't stand up again without help.

Rickard turned again, to see Corben with a bolt through his left arm, bastard sword held in one hand, fighting Andrew, whose scar seemed to glitter in the lamplight. At the same time, the other two men closed in behind them.

Taking advantage of their distraction, Rickard leapt in and hamstrung one of the men before turning to face the other, whose knife lashed out and was narrowly blocked by Rickard's shield. Not wanting to kill the man, Rickard turned his hand to use the pommel of his sword, rather than the blade, and knocked the final slave unconscious.

Finally, he spun and saw Corben being beaten back by Andrew, who had his back to Rickard. Rickard looked Corben in the eye and mouthed the word, Alive? Corben shook his head frantically.

Rickard stepped in like the wind and thrust into Andrew's back, breaking his spine and killing him.

"Let's take these others to the Tank, too," said Corben. "and then get some rest.
Rickard
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rickard on September 10th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Rickard returned home just before dawn, the criminals imprisoned and the relevant papers completed. He thanked the Slain God that he didn't have anything planned for the second of Fall as he undressed, shifted his form to that of a wolf, and laid down to sleep.
Rickard
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sayana on December 5th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Rickard
Skills
  • Observation: 4
  • Unarmed Combat: 2
  • Weapon: Sword: 2
  • Rhetoric: 4
  • Intimidation: 5
  • Acrobatics: 1
  • Endurance: 2
  • Running: 2
  • Tracking: 1
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Tactics: 3
  • Leadership: 1
  • Interrogation: 1
  • Planning: 1
  • Investigation: 1
  • Shield: 1
Lores
  • Tactics: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush
  • Intimidation: Making threats using the law on your side
  • Interrogation: Using a second person to check if the target is lying
  • Arresting a drunk for assault
  • Tactics: Fighting as a partnership
  • Combat: Using the pomel of a sword to knock someone out
Shield Points
+5 for Patrolling/Arresting a criminal
Comments
Note: Once your wages have been approved by the ST, please update your ledger right away so that you aren't in the negatives anymore. Usually if you fall into the negatives, it means your character has run out of money and died, but I see that you have your job threads already submitted for Fall 515 and you're just waiting for them to get approved.

Comments: Great thread. At first I was concerned that you might be playing above your skill level for the interrogation part, but I thought it was well done. Careful of your combat skills since he's only a novice and hardly has any unarmed combat skills. I rather liked that the man who was interrogated was a slave and it was an interesting twist to your story.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)