An Unusual Circumstance

[Ayatah]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Skyard Underwood on December 12th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Mid-day, Winter 4th 515 A.v

Several bells had passed since they’d finished up their “endeavor”. Skyard enjoyed each and every moment of it, and he suddenly realized something. He hadn’t even quite had a conversation with the woman just yet, and he still knew practically nothing about her. He didn’t want to make the mistake of ruining the mood; therefore he thought about what to initiate the conversation with. Skyard had always been curious, and interested in the obtaining of knowledge. Yet, she was a woman, and in order to “get to know” her he had to ask questions. He started the conversation off without one. He decided that he needed to make her initiate it with a statement, and what better to comment on than their “meeting”?

“That… was absolutely outstanding, Ayatah.” Spoke Skyard in a calm manner, his deep voice seemed to echo throughout the room. He grew somewhat nervous, but decided that he shouldn’t let that bother him; since he had already gotten what he wanted. After all, what woman would absolutely push a man away after an encounter such as this one? Skyard attempted to predict what she would say next; however judging by their earlier conversation he expected nothing but the best. Her positive responses tended to wow him; due to the fact that he’d never experienced something like it before. Skyard never knew of a person that was so positive, until he encountered Ayatah mere bells ago.

He thought about the fact that she hadn’t known much about him either. He knew precisely what he would tell her; he was a leatherworker after-all. He hoped that she would only continue to respond with positivity, and a smile crept across his face the moment he’d made his aforementioned statement. Skyard couldn’t help it, she’d made him the happiest he’d quite literally ever been. Since the loss of his first bond-mate; he absolutely refused the company of others. Skyard typically distanced himself from everyone else; he thought of them as mere distractions. In her case, he didn’t mind being distracted. For each and every moment with her brought him happiness; which is all he required from a woman. Although he didn’t expect the day to be the day that he’d “found” it; Skyard figured that he hadn’t spoken too soon.

For now all he could do was patiently await her response, and following which he would go on to tell her about himself. Skyard tried to plan ahead, but he hadn’t quite been the best at plotting; for he believed that when something is planned it becomes less entertaining. He didn’t want to be a bore; therefore he knew that if he kept the conversation “heated” than wouldn’t bore her. Skyard grasped hold of Ayatahs hand, and in a split-tick interlocked fingers with her.
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Words: 205954
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Ayatah on December 12th, 2015, 6:06 pm

"It certainly was." Ayatah murmured huskily, a deliriously happy smile crossing her lips. Her skin tingled with intoxicating happiness. She was exhausted, physically spent and very, very pleased with herself. Their intimacy had been addictive, and as she had earlier predicted Ayatah had been unable to resist Skyard. Once had not been enough. Twice, even, had left her hungry for more.

But now, several bells since they had first crashed onto her bed, she was finally satisfied. Briefly she lifted her head, scanning her bedroom. Clothes were strewn everywhere, and the covers of the bed had been flung off during one of their earlier heated sessions to soften the otherwise hard floor. In fact, they had practically turned her entire apartment upside down during their passions -- all except Kuame's bedroom.

Ah, Kuame. She now felt entirely more positive about telling Skyard about her son. Perhaps it was simply the aftermath of all that pleasure - into which she had fallen deeply and delightedly - but now she felt optimistic about petty much everything. If Skyard did not accept Kuame, so what? He had already done so much for her by awakening Ayatah's lust and pleasure in sex. For that she was eternally grateful.

Sighing, Ayatah allowed the male to interlock his fingers with hers. The contrast of their skin tones made her think of how their bodies had been earlier intertwined together, sweaty and hot and moaning in pleasure. But as passionate and lustful their sex had been, in those rare moments between all the lovemaking, the two of them had simply lazed around together, kissing and touching but not in an inherently sexual manner. Few words had been exchanged, but the silence had not been awkward. If anything, it had been out of an unspoken closeness between them. They were lovers already, and despite knowing very little about each other, there was a bond between them that Ayatah did not share with anyone else in the city.

"You fulfilled your promise." She added, turning to lie on her side with her back to Skyard. Briefly she leant away from him, reaching down off the side of the bed to pull a huge tiger skin off the floor and over their still naked bodies. When she turned back to face him, Ayatah shuffled up close and threw her left leg over his; the act was intimate and familiar, and she liked the feel of his skin on hers. With one hand still interlocked in his, Ayatah stroked the tiger skin fondly. "I killed this tiger, y'know." Though the words were not boastful, it was quite clear that Aya was proud of this achievement. "A long time ago, back in Taloba. He was a fine beast, but an even finer blanket."
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Skyard Underwood on December 13th, 2015, 1:03 am

She did it, Again

Skyard thought to himself, as he smiled at Ayatahs positive response. She never ceased to amaze him, and he wanted to tell her that he was more than human. Although he weighed the pros and cons of that, and he knew that if he told her she may not be so happy about it. He knew very well that he couldn’t go around and flaunt the fact that he had an alternate form. Had he done so; he knew that he would likely be captured and enslaved the moment he revealed himself. After quite a few travels nearby he quickly discovered how different he was from animals like himself. The Lions here were often times, black and nocturnal; whereas he had been white, so white that he could be called “golden” within Synas embrace.

He heard her speak again, and this time she intrigued him. “You fulfilled your promise.” Spoke Ayatah, and with a lack for words Skyard simply smiled. As he observed the woman whilst she turned her back to him; he took the opportunity to kiss her neck. Whilst she grasped hold of the large tiger skin and turned toward him; his heart immediately skipped a beat. Skyard had been scared stiff, and for a moment the thought of her being a hunter crossed his mind. Would she kill him if he told her the truth; Skyard had been somewhat skilled with combat, but he knew very well that a hunter is a person to be feared. If Skyard were to tell her now; she may kill him as he lays beside her, and wear his hide as a belt.

She spoke again, and told him that she’d killed the Tiger the hide belonged to. The muscles in his jaw tensed, as he clenched his teeth. “She… Killed…A…Tiger…… This… massive?” Skyard thought to himself as he grew perplexed. Skyard thought he’d never live to see the day; a person with such a small and almost frail appearance being able to take down a feline several times her own size. Skyard cleared his throat, and she spoke of a place called Taloba. “He was a fine beast, but an even finer blanket.” The moment Skyard heard those words; he wanted to bolt for the door. However he knew that if she could kill a feline that large; he wouldn’t even be a challenge for her.

Skyard had to do something, and it had to be done fast. He knew that she had been somewhat battle tested with her incredible movement speed. However, if that had been the case she must’ve been some sort of warrior in her past. Skyard couldn’t even imagine how much strength and resolve it’d take to battle a mighty feline. Skyard was hesitant to respond, and he spoke with a hint of fear in his voice. One could very easily tell that he hadn’t been in the easiest of moods with the way that he spoke. His voice remained deep; however the muscles in his face gave away his nervousness. “Y-you, killed a Tiger on your own. In a place called Taloba? Why don’t you tell me more about this… Taloba. If you don’t mind share with me the story as to how you managed to kill something that large.” He spoke, and attempted to mask the nervousness in his voice.

Skyard knew very well what would happen if he hadn’t found out more about why she killed the Tiger. He would assume that she was a hunter; in which case he would run for the hills. She hadn’t seemed like the violent type; She had been far too beautiful for that. However if she was capable of battling on her own, at least he wouldn’t have to worry about her being injured by anyone any time soon. Skyard continued to hold her hand in his own, and with his opposite hand he placed it upon her hip. He brought himself in closer, and wrapped the arm around her; which held her closer to him. With her leg thrown atop his own he wanted to be closer to her, and not even an inch apart. Although he feared her; he wanted nothing more than to be with her.
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Ayatah on December 14th, 2015, 8:50 pm

For some reason, it surprised Ayatah that Skyard did not know of her Taloban origins. She had forgotten that their relationship was less than a day old. Instead the closeness the Myrian now felt to the male had skewed her memory and perception. Of course he didn't know of her history or heritage.

Suddenly she was fearful that he would reject her should she tell him the truth. The Myrian people were not exactly loved by outsiders, or even tolerated in some places. Ayatah had seen all possible reactions; horrified, scared, intrigued, sickened. Only now she was fretting over how Skyard what react to her admittance. "I am half-Myrian," she began slowly, hoping that her mentioning of only being half- would soften the blow. To aid her cause further, she placed a tentative hand on his bare chest and huddled closer, pushing her naked form against his for both warmth and comfort. "I was raised in the jungle, in Taloba. That's where in hunted this tiger." She winced. It all sounded so... aggressive. But at the time, the killing of the tiger had included a promise and a blossoming romance. Should she include those details? Desperately Ayatah wanted to emit that part of the story, and yet she found herself delving into more detail. "I didn't kill him on my own, no. I helped someone fulfil a promise. He did most of the work."

With that, she fell silent. Ayatah waited for some indication of Skyard's reaction to this story. Would he be disgusted? Would he leave and regret the blissful day they had spent together?

The thought made her gut clench painfully and Ayatah winced. She needed to keep him in her bed, in her life, for as long as she could. Desperately she added, "It's how we live in the Jungle. We have to hunt for our food, and I still do every so often." That didn't help! Now the words were spilling out of ehr mouth uncontrollably, and the Myrian shifted herself up onto her elbows, no longer wishing to watch Skyard as he undoubtedly ran from her clutches. "It was a different life to what I live now. But it's still a part of me."

Finally she gave him a long, sideways glance. Skyard was still beside her, and Ayatah felt cool relief wash over her. It was like a blessing. "I'm sorry for... ranting. I hope you don't see me as a savage. I just--" Again the words escaped her lips. Never before had Ayatah found it so difficult to explain herself. "Well, I may as well lay it all out now, hadn't I?" She concluded finally, more to herself than to the male.

She stood up, leaving the tiger the skin with Skyard and walking nakedly to the other side of her bedroom. When she returned to the bed, Ayatah clambered between the cover and nestled herself back next to Skyard. Then she showed him she had bought back with her: a child's picture. "I have an adopted son. Kuame." She pointed to the smaller of the drawn figures: a dark-skinned little boy in a red top and blue britches. "I adopted him a year ago, from Zeltiva after I attended the university here." Cautiously she looked up to Skyard. Though she was still fearful of his leaving, there was something strangely confident and practical about what she next said: "If me and you are going to... do this again, and believe me, I want to..." She smiled and brushed her lips to the underside of his chin, her hand shortly roaming his chest, "you have to know about Kuame. He's the most important thing in my life, and my son."
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Skyard Underwood on December 15th, 2015, 2:38 am

The moment the woman managed to utter a few words, he smiled again; despite the fact that he had been scared out of his mind. “I am half-Myrian” Ayatah spoke and Skyard listened to each and every single word she had to say closely. However the moment that she seemed to have stated what she had been mixed with racially he grew intrigued. Whilst he felt her hand against the bare flesh of his chest; a smile crept across his lips, and he continued to enjoy her company. With but a single touch, she immediately eased all of the tension that begun to rise within him. Skyard became much more clam than he had been mere moments before, and as she brought her nude body closer to his own he felt the warmth of her flesh. She was incredibly soft, and carried a scent that had been absolutely delightful; she smelled like a light and airy perfume.

Skyard continued to listen to her words, and her absolutely lovely voice made listening to her far more enjoyable. “I was raised in the jungle, in Taloba. That’s where I hunted this tiger.” She spoke, and although Skyard would’ve normally been shaking in his boots he hadn’t been afraid. He knew that if she were raised in a hostile environment; she might’ve had to resort to being just as wild as the animals that surrounded her. Skyard most certainly became much more happy and calm as she spoke. The moment she answered his question as to rather or not she’d taken down the mighty beast on her own; a noticeable sigh of relief exited his esophagus. She hadn’t killed it on her own; therefore she might’ve had a partner that was stronger than her in some aspect.

The thought of her somehow murdering him left his mind and he only grew more pleased as she continued to speak. She’d told him that within the jungle she had to battle for her survival. However she took up hunting as a “sport” from time to time. Skyard knew that without a doubt she was a strong woman, and he absolutely loved that about her. She once lived a life of struggles, trials and tribulations; which gave Skyard a bit of insight as to what kind of person she truly was. He wanted to know more, and the moment the thought crossed his mind she spoke again, and Skyard nodded in order to show that he’d paid attention. Suddenly she shifted away from him, and she propped herself up upon her elbows.

Whilst she continued to speak he heard a single sentence. “I’m sorry for…ranting. I hope you don’t see me as a savage. I just—“. During the momentary and brief pause in between Ayatahs sentence he looked perplexed as he hadn’t thought of what she said as rambling. She provided him with vital information that would eventually be key to their “relationship” in the future. She spoke again, and this time he feared she would unveil something he wouldn’t like. “Well, I may as well lay it all out now.” Skyard heard as she continued to speak, and she stood up within a split-tick. Skyard took advantage of the brief moment to check out her glutes as she walked off to the opposite side of the room. He watched them as they briefly bounced, and his smile became a smirk; as he watched her every step of the way. She spontaneously closed the gap between them, and Skyard took a brief look at the picture she’d shown him. Skyard looked intrigued; had this been a relative of hers? Indeed she answered his question immediately.

That is when he heard something he both disliked and liked simultaneously. “I adopted him a year ago, from Zeltiva after I attended the university there.” She spoke, and suddenly Skyard sensed her level of confidence change with the tone of her voice. As she made the bold statement about them enjoying one another again he had to know about “Kuame” her adopted child. Skyard didn’t mind her having a child at all; that simply went to show that she bore a responsibility. Skyard took a brief and rather short lived inhalation before he spoke when she finished.

“Ayatah, I am willing to accept everything that is a part of you. You’re a strong woman, and I love that already, you are both beautiful and experienced in battle it seems. I couldn’t have ever imagined I would run into a woman both as gorgeous, and as responsible as you are. You are absolutely amazing to me; a beautiful and incredibly rare sight is what I can call you. You are more than just a beautiful woman, and an amazing person. You are extraordinary, and I thought I would let you know that. I don’t have too much of a past to speak of, and I’m about to tell you why.. although you are likely not to be happy about this..” Skyard stopped himself from overwhelming her with words of beauty and slid out of her bed.

Skyard stood erect, and walked toward the end of the bed; He’d already been naked therefore he simply turned around showing his back to the woman. “I want you to know.. That I am much more than just a man, a normal man.. If you aren’t going to keep secrets from me, then it is only fair that I share mine with you.” Skyard said aloud before he took a step forward and instantaneously his form dissolved into a brief swirl of cerulean light; before it reformed in practically the same instant.

However the moment that the flash of light dissipated what stood at the end of her bed had no longer been recognizable as Skyard. A majestic pearly-white hide covered his body, and an incredibly thick and wild unkempt mane surrounded his neck. His facial structure became that of a massive felines; his tail swayed from left to right briefly; however one feature that remained the same were his intensively blue eyes. He hoped for the best, and prayed that she wouldn’t be afraid of him like this.
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Ayatah on December 16th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Ayatah's eyes screwed tightly shut as soon as she had finished speaking -- though she expected Skyard to up and leave, she didn't wish to watch him walk away from her. But instead, he did not move. In fact, Skyard remained right beside her, and there he stayed as he spoke candidly about his thoughts of what she had just told him -- particularly about Kuame. Eventually, Aya released a slow, warbling sigh of relief. She was more than grateful, and the Myrian said a minute prayer to Myri in thanks.

Not only did he accept her heritage or her son, but Skyard admitted to even liking these things about her. In fact, he loved them. Ayatah wondered whether it was possible to love anything about a person one had known for less than a day. But then, instinctively, she knew that it was. Already she cared more about Skyard than anyone else in Riverfall. Was that a sign of madness, or even desperation?

Perhaps so, but her feelings were nevertheless perfectly true. There was a connection between Ayatah and Skyard, and she had known it as soon as she'd laid eyes on the male. This wasn't as simple as attraction, or even chemistry, it was something far more... resilient and permanent. She felt a desperate need to keep Skyard by her side for as long as possible, to almost any cost. As much as she tried to deny it - to protect her own feelings, to protect Kuame - she desperately wished for the three of them to come together as a family.

So when the male slid off her bed and walked away from her, Ayatah sat bolt up right, fearful that the worse was happening. He was leaving her! He had simply lied about accepting her son and her culture -- which, given the reputation of her people, was pretty wise. Myrian women had killed over heartbreak, after all. She let out a gasp and clutched the tiger skin close to her chest, preparing for the upset and devastation that would undoubtedly hit her as soon as he closed the door behind him.

But no, now Skyard was speaking again. Ayatah frowned; her translating and understanding of his words were uncharacteristically slow. She was struggling to comprehend what he was saying -- he is more than a man? I know that already given his earlier performances... Unable to stop herself, she smirked at those fond, heated memories.

Ayatah gasped and leant away as soon as the bright swirls surrounded her lover. This was not out of disgust or repulsion, just pure and simple shock. She understood his secret immediately: he was a Kelvic! This was certainly an unexpected twist, but not inherently bad. She knew little beyond the transformative race, beyond the fact that they had both an animal and human form. Before Aya could even begin to wonder what animal her lover would become, his new form stood before her: he was a white lion.

Skyard was a magnificent beast: not only tall and long, but with fur that was a brilliant, pearly white. She had never seen a creature as gorgeous as he: even a Myrian tiger was no comparison. Though she was impressed, the large animal that now watched her with those familiar bright eyes was still hugely intimidating. Slowly, and carefully, Ayatah followed Skyard's suit and stood up off the bed, stepping towards the lion and crouching down so her face was level with his. "I did wonder where you got your stamina from, I have to admit." She whispered, a mischievous smile on her lips. Her fingertips brushed through that superb mane, and Ayatah found all traces of her previous nervousness dissolving away. "Thank you for showing me this. I appreciate you being to honest."

This was an important moment in their relationship, Ayatah realised. Not only were they learning crucial details about each other, but this would surely become one of those times they looked back on fondly in the future. She wanted to commemorate this moment somehow, to say something incredibly touching and clever that would never be forgotten.

"Skyard, I want t--"

A frantic knocking on the door interrupted Ayatah. "Skurak! What time is it?" Her words were in frantic Myrian, and Ayatah scrambled to her feet and began to throw on whatever clothes she could find. "Kuame is home. He must have finished school early? I don't know." Once dressed she, turned to Skyard. "It...might be good if you turn back to your human form. And... perhaps get dressed."

In the rush and panic of preparing for her son to come home, Ayatah had completely forgotten that this would be the first time Kuame would meet Skyard - - and indeed, any male companion of hers. The thought only dawned on her as she opened the door and welcomed her son with an embrace.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Skyard Underwood on December 17th, 2015, 5:32 am

Skyard grew incredibly excited as she reacted so positively to his transformation. His initial thought was that she’d be much more minatory toward him after the discovery of his “Kelvic” form. He hadn’t known rather or not his appearance would scare her, but the moment she knelt down and met him at eye level; his heart throbbed hard beneath his chest cavity. Skyard wanted to know precisely what this feeling he had toward her was; he wanted to be closer to her. Had he been entranced by her comely features, or had it been her contumacious attitude from earlier in the day with the battle? He knew absolutely nothing about why he felt as if he needed her in his life. Skyard thought of his first bond mate. The feeling was unrecognizable to him and it felt foreign; for not even all of those years ago did he share it with his aforementioned companion.

He knew that she would be both his drug, and the person that held his heart. However he hadn’t known rather or not giving her this level of trust would be safe for him. She was by far the most dowdy and incredibly effulgent woman he’d ever run into. She bore the responsibility of a parent, the cleverness of ten-thousand wolves and the heart of a romantic. Skyard never thought that he’d live to see the day he would encounter a woman like her, his mouth became drier by the tick. He was at a loss for words; she was the first person he’d revealed himself to that hadn’t run for the hills. Skyard felt calamitously attached to her already; however he didn’t want to express himself that freely quite yet.

Skyard listened to her as she spoke, and those soft words made his tail sway from left to right. He hadn’t been in control of the motion; his emotions tended to make his tail an involuntary muscle at times. Although Skyard had the form of a mighty beast; his heart had always been friable. He decided that he would whole-heartedly put his trust in this woman, and if she were to break his heart he’d willingly accept his failure. Each and every instinct within him told him to do otherwise; to run away and to cower beneath the mass of doubt which hung over his heart. She broke him, and reformed him all at once in but a single day.

He heard the comment about his incredible level of stamina from their amatory experience together. She thanked him for unveiling himself to her, and he found that to be rather unusual. However he wouldn’t bother to question the notion, and simply moved forward. He wanted to tell her at that very moment that he wanted to be with her; to see no one other than her. However he knew that if he moved too fast; his form wouldn’t be the thing to run her off, he would. She spoke again, and this time her sentence had been cut off by a mass of knocks heard consecutively at the door.

She recommended to him that he get dressed, for her son arrived before she’d expected him to. Which was absolutely fine with Skyard, although that meant their blissful moment together had to end. He nodded his head in her direction to communicate that he understood. He enjoyed the temporal touch of her hands against his mane; he felt as if she truly cared for him. He stepped back, and once more did the multitude of swirling lights emit themselves from his lower body. He’d returned to his human form; the hide seemingly disappeared and the males pale skin had been revealed once again.

He’d thrown back on his simplistic clothing, and stepped out of the room in order to go and greet her child. He’d never met another womans child before; or rather her responsibility. The kid had been her prized possession from what she’d told him and he knew that he had to act as cautiously as possible. He approached, and ran the digits of his fingertips through his uncombed white hair. He simply shook his hand, and allowed his hair to fall to the right side of his cranial structure. He spoke a few short words in order to introduce himself to the child.

“Hello there, Kuame. My name is Skyard, ‘tis nice to meet you.”
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Ayatah on December 22nd, 2015, 8:25 pm

The most notable of all of Kuame’s trait was his quietness. He was generally a timid boy, having grown up amongst dozens of other equally needy orphans. Simply put, he had become far too used to being one of many, one single little face lost in a crowd. He was unused to having his voice heard, or his timid requests met. Though Ayatah did not spoil him too much, she certainly wanted to make up for his five years as an orphan.

“Aya, today I drew a picture of a tiger! And then Sam and I went on the search for worms outside but we couldn’t find any but then we did find a beetle and it had six legs. Like an Eyphar-“

His excited little voice died away the instant Kuame saw Skyard. Soon after his face creased into a frown and the boy watched Skyard carefully, as if trying to suss his character out as much as possible from a single look. In his previous life, strangers meant one thing: wide-eyed parents searching for the perfect baby to adopt like a bride searches for the perfect dress. Though Kuame had always smiled brightly and cleaned himself up for such important guests, they had always overlooked him. He was too old, too foreign-looking. Too Myrian.

Ayatah watched her son intently, her own dark eyes not once leaving Kuame’s face. She barely breathed, not daring to make a sound lest she influence Kuame’s reaction in some way. What if the idea of sharing her with another man upset him too much? As much as the thought made Ayatah’s stomach knot, she would have to bid Skyard goodbye for once and for all. Kuame was her son, her world.

Finally, thankfully, the boy’s lips creased into a smile and he ran up to Skyard, stopping just short of lunging on the man. “Hello Skyard!” He said happily, tilting his head up to look at the pale skinned man. “Nice to meet you too. Are you friends with Ayatah? Are you her…” He giggled helplessly, “boyfriend?”

Behind him, Ayatah breathed a sigh of relief. That first terrifying hurdle had been jumped over and she had safely made it to the other side. But she was not safe from embarrassment, and Kuame’s question had her quickly pulling off his coat and trying to distract the boy any way possible. “How about some food? I think I have something in the kitchen….”

With that, she steered her son into their living room, but Kuame’s attention was still solely on Skyard. “Your hair is white. Why are you so pale? You’re not Myrian, are you? Are you from Aya’s work, in the…. The school of…” He turned at his adopted mother for support, stumped as to what her place of employment was called

“The School of Life and Sciences.” She finished off then, glancing to Skyard, she explained in more detail: “I’m an instructor there, but I do a bit of everything… teaching, archaeological digs, identifying things…” She trailed off and turned back to the chopping up of rabbit meat she had been doing whilst Kuame had been speaking. Cooking was far from a passion of Ayatah’s, but she currently needed something to keep her hands and mind busy. She continued to chop up the rabbit meat and then turned to an onion and two carrots. These she added to a pot and mixed it around until the meat was sizzling and brown. Did Skyard even eat meat? Was there such a thing as a vegetarian Lion?

My Lion

Ayatah blinked – how long had she been watching Skyard interact with Kuame? Had he noticed? Gods, she hoped not…
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Skyard Underwood on December 26th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Skyard simply observed the boy, and cracked a smile at the response he’d gotten. Luck had been on his side today, and he immediately knew that the day couldn’t possibly get any better. Kuame frowned the moment he saw Skyard; almost as if his presence proposed danger to the boy. With a single look from Kuame, Skyard felt unwelcome suddenly, and his once blissful attitude died momentarily. However the moment the boy spoke again, a sigh of relief exited Skyards lungs; as he heard the boy speak excitedly. He’d been greeted and looked up to by the much shorter statured boy. Relief washed over Skyards body suddenly, and then he beckoned Skyard with a question. He asked rather or not Skyard was simply her friend, or her “Boy-friend”.

His heart pounded rather heavily beneath his chest cavity as the boy asked the question. He observed them both; Ayatah sighed suddenly as if she was nervous. Was she afraid of what Kuame might’ve said; perhaps she had been and so was he. She suddenly asked a question almost as a means to distract the child from his aforementioned question. He listened to Ayatah as she asked about food, and she apparently had some in the kitchen. The boy continued to beckon him about rather or not he was Myrian. Why his skin was so pale, and why his hair had ben incredibly white. Skyard found out swiftly from the boys final question about working in a school. He turned toward Ayatah and she spoke. She was an instructor and she was very versatile in her work.

As she concluded her speech she simply went off to cook food for Kuame and with the large quantity of food; for Skyard as well. Skyard decided that he would answer the boys questions not to be rude; he could take advantage of the fact that he asked them as well. He decided to answer each and every one of the boys questions; even the ones about his flawed appearance. “Well, Kuame I am not a Myrian, and my skin is pale and as white as snow along with my hair. I suppose that is simply the way that I was born I am…--“ Skyard paused as he spoke suddenly because he almost told the boy that he’d been a Kelvic. However he knew that if he revealed that sort of information to the boy; he might be rejected.

The one thing Skyard always feared was rejection, but why would he have a reason to fear being rejected by a child? Skyard knew that along with Ayatah the child came, and if he didn’t favor Skyard, it’s likely that she wouldn’t either. However he knew that if he lied to the boy that he wouldn’t regain Kuames trust; therefore he simply spoke. “I am a Kelvic, and I am a Lion. However I do not display the same animalistic behavior as so many of my kind do. I’m not from your mothers workplace either my friend, I am a Leather-worker, and I work independently of a business. I work for myself and find work wherever I can.” Skyard concluded his speech

He sat down suddenly in hopes to be at eye level with the boy, and he crossed his legs in between one another. With both ankles upon the floor beneath his opposed thighs, and his knees bent. Hopefully this would convince Kuame to talk with him more as she finished the preparation of the meal.
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

An Unusual Circumstance

Postby Ayatah on December 27th, 2015, 7:55 pm

“My friend Thomas is Kelvic.” Kuame said, utterly unfazed by Skyard’s admission. “He’s a Buffalo, though. A lion’s way better!” He turned sharply to throw the male another buck-toothed grin. Despite his shyness, Kuame liked Skyard and it was obvious that the child wanted to get to know the adult better. But years of being passed over and ignored had Kuame fearful rejection and being ignored: better to hold himself back than to be hurt all over again.

That did not stop Kuame from speaking to Skyard, even if he did so in a falsely casual manner. Of the few things Kuame understood about the adult world, he knew that most families consisted of a mother and a father. He had gained the former a year ago, but still there was no male parent to teach Kuame how to fight, or to go fishing with. Despite never having a father of his own, the boy knew he was missing out on something. He heard countless stories of what his friends did with their fathers, and Kuame knew he was jealous.

Would Skyard be his father? He was nice, and Kuame was pretty excited about having a Lion as a dad. But something was holding him back from extending this invitation to the white-haired man. He glanced consciously behind himself, to the doorway to the kitchen, where Ayatah could be heard muttering to herself in Myrian. She did that a lot whilst cooking, and when Kuame had asked what she saying, she’d explained that she was praying to Myri that their food wouldn’t be too burned or the wine run out too quickly. They ate out at restaurants and cafes a lot: Kuame was already beginning to dread whatever meal his adopted mother would thrash up together to serve.

“Can you cook?” He asked Skyard. Perhaps it would be impolite to ask him to be his father so quickly, but Kuame could at least fish out information from the Kelvic to ensure he would be a suitable candidate. “And do you fight? Could you teach me when I’m older? And can I ride your back when you’re a lion?” Again he giggled with excitement, his imagination already running away from him.

Within the kitchen, Ayatah listened keenly their conversation. It was going well, from what she had overhead. Kuame was a nice child, and she had not doubted that he would find the presence of a houseguest very exciting. But not all men tolerated children, and Ayatah needed to find one that did. Thankfully, Skyard seemed to be dealing with Kuame’s questions well, and he had been honest to the boy about his race.

The fact he was Kelvic was hardly something Ayatah could hold against him, but she knew that his people aged quicker than others. Would Skyard be an old man by the time she was forty? How long did Lions live for?

She grumbled and continued stirring the rabbit meat, finally throwing in an onion, some carrots and spices to the dish. It was a simple meal, similar to the food she had dined on back in Taloba. Would Skyard think her a terrible cook? It wouldn’t be inaccurate, but some men liked to know that their woman could provide edible food for their family. Would he punish her for her obvious lack of culinary skill?

For good measure, Ayatah added salt and pepper to the meal. That always made things taste better, she thought.

“It’s ready!” She called after another ten or so chimes. After placing three empty bowls onto her dining table, Ayatah added the large bowl of meat, sizzling and steaming, and finally a plate of bread. “It’s a…. Myrian speciality.” She proffered, hoping that Skyard would be impressed with the false title of her dish.

Unfortunately, Kuame saw through her poor attempt of lying: “She always says that,” he told Skyard, “it just means she’s burnt it a bit.”
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next