Closed Catching Some Lunch (Garland)

Garland and Sayana go hunting

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Catching Some Lunch (Garland)

Postby Sayana on September 26th, 2015, 3:00 pm

It was more likely he wouldn’t get a single spark going than it was to light the forest on fire. Still, Sayana grinned at his comment. She found it was always hardest to get a fire started. She was about to sit down in front of the kindling when she remembered it was better to position oneself so that the wind might blow the sparks towards the tinder. That would be… upwind of the fire pit. She tried to feel the meager breeze in the air and positioned herself accordingly.

At his comment about food, the Eypharian waved to the supplies she brought. “Yes, yes. Tuck in. I didn’t bring them to look pretty.” With the flint and steel, she struck one against the other causing a couple of sparks to fly. However, they didn’t get anywhere close to the tinder so she tried it again. Sometimes she would manage to get lots of sparks and sometimes none at all but it took many tries to get anything going. After about five chimes, one spark finally got the tinder to light but it soon fizzled out. She stuffed the middle with a lot more tinder this time, using dried out grasses from the fields and tried it all over again. She was surprisingly focused during this time and after the next five chimes a real fire took hold and she fed it with more sticks.

“Finally,” she said triumphantly. “Now let me grab some food before it’s all gone,” she teased and helped herself to the various foods she brought for the picnic. As the fire blazed higher she took a break from her nibbling and tied the leg of deer securely to the frame she had constructed. It was a fairly large hunk of meat altogether and would likely take some time. Hence bringing alternative food. By this point she only had to occasionally feed the fire to keep it burning at a good height.

The Eypharian leaned back on her hands to watch the fire burn and the meat slowly cook. “Hey Gar, you ever wonder where we’ll in the future? I mean, I’ve got little Serend who will grow up to be a big strong Akalak, and you’ll become a knight and all, but do you think you’ll travel afar? Or just stay in around Syliras protecting the land? I’ve been wondering where I might like to go with Aren for a honeymoon after we get married.”
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Garland on September 28th, 2015, 7:29 am

Garland couldn't help but smile when Sayana got the fire started. He munched happily on the bread and cheese and sighed contently.

Yet he did not let his guard down, his sword was within reach as always. He handed her some of the food she brought them. Garland lied down and gave a small content sigh. He was quite happy to be with Sayana, if things happened differently, maybe they would have ended up together.

He gave a small audible chuckle at the though and sat up when Sayana asked him something.

“Hey Gar, you ever wonder where we’ll in the future? I mean, I’ve got little Serend who will grow up to be a big strong Akalak, and you’ll become a knight and all, but do you think you’ll travel afar? Or just stay in around Syliras protecting the land? I’ve been wondering where I might like to go with Aren for a honeymoon after we get married.”

Garland raised his brow a bit and put on a thoughtful expression. "The future huh?" He rubbed the stubble on his chin and looked around for a small bit, seeking an answer in the surrounding area. "Well... I've had my fortune read twice now and both of them said I would have two healthy twins to take care of." He gulped a bit and sighed.

"There's this nagging feeling that something is wrong... Maybe it's just nerves." He could smell the leg of venison roast slowly and he couldn't help but look at the food. Though his mind was on other things. "I'm worried, I haven't seen April is a while, I have tried to visit her, but she's always gone. I wonder if she's avoiding me." He pressed his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "I love her dearly, but I sometimes wonder if she feels the same."

He looked over to Sayana and thought about asking a rather personal question. "You... were suppose to be a mother before, right? I was wondering, was the decision difficult to make? The... umm... stopping the pregnancy. So to speak."

He shook his head and gave a forced smile. "Nevermind, we should be having a good time." He laughed and went over to the roasted leg. "You were planning on traveling right? On your honeymoon? Ha! Aren can defend you from anything! I wish I could join you, but I'm sure honeymoons are suppose to be for the couple, and having the guy that kissed the bride and had a rather hot night once might seem a bit... wrong." He gave a genuine laugh at this and looked a bit saddened. "When are you coming back? You are planning on coming back, right?"
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sayana on September 29th, 2015, 10:40 pm

“Got your fortune read twice? Haha. Do you believe in those sorts of things?” Sayana said with a laugh. But then he carried on unsure of how things stood between him and April. The Eypharian frowned a little at his situation. Could there be something wrong between them? Or did she just want to sail out for adventure?

“Gar, maybe it’s just the pregnancy taking a toll on her. I mean, even I’ve thrown a fit or two in front of Aren. And she’s got not one baby but two inside her. I just have Serend. Nivel actually read his aura.” At her last statement she beamed at the memory. “But maybe April is just feeling a little landbound. She’s a svefra you know, and I don’t know how long they last without enjoying the open seas. But with you being in the knighthood and all, I’m sure she’s been trying to stay around Syliras.”

At his next more personal question, she tightened up a little and sat up from her lounging position. That pregnancy. It felt like a lifetime ago but it was only a few meager years. She hadn’t been ready for that and she thought it was the only way. Had it been a difficult decision? At the time she thought it was her only decision. The silence between them lengthened and soon he spoke up, relieving her of the need to answer.

When he asked her about how long the honeymoon would be, she paused a moment, having not fully thought it out. But then the answer came to her quickly. “I’ll be back by winter. I have to be back in Syliras for the baby, don’t I? And maybe even sooner, like late fall. We might not go all that far, but who knows?” It hadn’t quite dawned on her that she’d be missing the birth of Garland’s twins if she was gone during most of the fall.

The Eypharian got up to check on the roasting leg. Carefully she turned it so that it would cook evenly on all sides. There was a bit of balancing to keep it propped up in that position but the frame seemed to hold up well enough. She sat back down and nibbled some more on the bread. She also got out some dried fruit she had packed and offered it to her squire friend. The leg roasted slowly but she kept up some nice conversation in the meantime. Some of the topics included the knighthood, her wedding, parenthood, and building a crib for her newborn when the time came. She continued to feed the fire periodically and also turn the roasting meat. After about a bell, it was starting to brown nicely and was probably cooked through. She cut into the meat to check if it was still uncooked on the inside and unfortunately it was rather tender and red. With a frown she noted how nicely it smelled and how it appeared cooked on the outside.

Suddenly she had an idea. Carefully, she used her dagger to carve just the outer-most portion of the meat and cut it away from the rest of the leg. As a result, the meat wasn’t beautifully carved but came out in small chunks, but at least it was cooked. She served generous portions to both Garland and herself and left the rest to continue cooking while they ate.

“Lunch is served!” Sayana announced in a grand voice and a flourish of her arms. “Or at least the other half of lunch.” With a laugh she tucked into the meat. It was a little dry in some places but it was certainly cooked and she was rather proud of having successfully caught and cooked a meal.

“Couldn’t have done it without you,” she added with an appreciative glance to her friend.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Dove Brown on December 17th, 2015, 1:12 am

Your Grades!
Brought to you on the wings of a Dove!

Please remember to edit your grading request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Name: Sayana
XP Award:
  • Riding 3
  • Organisation 1
  • Hunting 1
  • Stealth 1
  • Tactics 1
  • Weapon: Dagger 1
  • Dual Wield 1
  • Wilderness Survival 1
  • Carpentry 1
  • Cooking 2
Lore:
  • Hunting: animal droppings mean animals in the area
  • Horses don't sneak well
  • Tracking: following blood trails
  • Garland is strong enough to lift an entire deer
  • Wilderness Survival: crushed grass for kindling
  • Carpentry: lashing lengths of wood together
  • Wilderness Survival: light fires from upwind
  • Cooking: sometimes the outside is cooked while inside it's raw
Notes: A fun read. Enjoy your grades

Name: Garland
XP Award:
  • Riding (horse) 2
  • Hunting 2
  • Weapon: Crossbow 1
  • Tracking 1
  • Weapon: Dagger 1
  • Butchering 1
  • Wilderness Survival 1
Lore:
  • Tracking: following blood trails
  • Hunting: kill prey quickly
  • Hunting: finishing a wounded deer with a dagger
  • Wilderness Survival: crushed grass for kindling
  • April: always gone
  • April: pregnancy taking its toll?
Shield points +2 shield points for altruism (donating the deer's sale price)
Notes: A fun read. Enjoy your grades.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Previous