[Winter Blaze Cooking] Cooking As A Family (Kiva +)

The Sanctuary Folks gather to make their dishes for the potluk at the festival.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on December 22nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Timestamp: 9th of Winter, 515 AV.

Kavala was arguing with a dog. "No." She said again as the enormous black Emperial Watcher tried to weave its way around her like a cat would weave through her legs. "Yes." Ink said, the big male dog's voice echoing in The Within Kitchen.

"I'm not making dog bones for the contest. I know they are your favorite, but you have enough... all of you have enough for the next few days and then I'll make some fresh after the Winter Blaze." She said patiently as she gathered ingredients. The Sactuary's kitchen was huge, big enough for three or four cooks to work without rubbing elbows just like in a traditional tavern. But Ink was obviously worried and thought Kavala shouldn't be doing what she was doing.

"Not many treats left. Many dogs. Get one a day. Not enough." The Konti simply stared at Ink's words. His mouth didn't move, but the voice still filled the room clearly understood.

"There are five of you and the puppies. Puppies don't get treats. There are a dozen baked dog bones. That means there is enough for all of you to get one a day, as usual, until I can bake some more in two days. There will even be extra." The Konti reasoned, trying to persuade the dog things would be fine. He looked dubious. "Don't you trust me?" She asked with a slight smile on her face.

"Trust you. Still don't like. Not enough. What if something happens to you?" He reasoned with a deep disembodied voice. The dogs eyes were staring at a huge glass container on the counter that held baked treats in the shape of dog bones.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. We'll make more in two days. I promise." Kavala said firmly and the dog nodded finally in agreement. He wagged his tail once and then circled the room sniffing the ingredients.

"What make you now?" He asked, sniffing at all the fruit on the table. Kavala smiled and stroked his soft head. Kavala sighed. She had fruit - copious amounts of it - then all the staples like sugar, flower, and lots of butter.

"I'm not sure. I was thinking about making pies for the festival. What do you think?" She asked, looking uncertainly at the dog who was now speaking to her. It was strange - utterly strange - that he could make his thoughts clear without flashing her images through her Konti gift or her reading his emotions. Words.... was she going crazy?

"Pies good. Too bad no pie for Ink." He said, checking the counter to see if there was a finished pie. "All you think about is your stomach." Kavala complained, then picked up an apple. She grabbed a knife and carefully began to peel it. There would be a lot of peeling apples in her future if she were making pie.

492/1,332 Total
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lian Windrunner on December 22nd, 2015, 8:45 pm

Talise was laughing at him. In his head. A lighthearted, high, feminine laugh echoed in his mind, following him as he left the stables. That, or he was losing his mind completely. Which wasn't all that far fetched under the circumstances. He was already in a strange city, and missing most of his memories of the past. He knew very little about himself other than that he was a Drykas named Lian with a strider named Talise. There were a few other fragments of memories floating around his head, but most of his past was just...gone. So would going insane on top of that really be so surprising?

It had all started when Lian went out to curry comb Talise this morning. He had managed the task, despite being half asleep at the time...but only after dropping the curry comb three times. And when he had gone to pick it up that last time, he had managed to trip over his own feet in the process, and gone sprawling on the ground. The fall hadn't hurt him, but he suspected that he might have a few bruises later. And it had surprised both of them. Talise clearly thought that his misadventures were hilarious. He, on the other hand, didn't. Well, not as much as she did, anyway. Lesson learned; don't curry comb your strider when you are less than fully awake unless you want to make a fool out of yourself and provide plenty of entertainment in the process.

Amusing or not, Lian was far more interested in the laughter he was hearing. He knew that he had amused Talise in the past. No specific memories came to mind, but he had the feeling that it was a rather common occurrence. But although he had gotten the sense of Talise's amusement several times, he had never heard her laugh before. In his head, or otherwise. And for very good reason. She was a strider, not a human.

That confusing thought followed Lian as he washed up, and made his way towards the kitchen. He had gotten his costume a few days before, but the entry fee for the festival tomorrow was a food dish of some kind. And that was a task that Lian wasn't sure how to accomplish. He could hunt, and bring back some rabbits for a stew, or something. But cooking? Never mind the fact that Lian had no idea how to use most of the things found in Kavala's kitchen, he didn't think he knew how to cook. At all.

So he made his way into the kitchen in the hopes of finding someone there who might give him a quick lesson in what he was supposed to do. Only to arrive in time to hear Kavala say that all he ever thought about was his stomach.

"I'm sorry?" he asked in confusion.

His hands reflected the bemused confusion in his voice. Lian didn't think he ate more than he should, but maybe people ate smaller amounts here? But even if that were the case, he wasn't thinking about his stomach at all at the moment.

522/522 total

Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kiva on December 24th, 2015, 7:46 pm

9th of Winter, 515 A.V
The Sanctuary

A woman's voice could be heard down the halls, over the rhythmic scrubbing of her brush on the floor. Kiva paused only briefly in her work, dunking the bristles in the water before continuing. Whoever the woman was talking to, the Myrian could not hear the respondent. Curiosity told her to eavesdrop, her common sense told her to keep working. Where were the voices coming from? The kitchen?

Eyes focusing on a particular spot that would not come out, Kiva dug her brush harder, straining to remove it. After a few ticks, she lifted the handle to find that... it was still there. She restrained a frustrated growl, rubbing a thumb furiously over the spot. It gave a soft squeak, but the stain remained. What had caused this originally?

A sound brought her from her thoughts, her dark eyes snapping upwards.

'Footsteps.'

Kiva froze and then darted from her spot like a spooked animal, leaving her cleaning behind as she dove for the shadows. Crouched and quiet, she waited and listened. No one came towards her, and it was then she realized they had been in a different room. Kiva cursed herself, "Kotakbil," she whispered, "What are you so scared of?"

She had made night time ventures into the Falyndar jungle, yet she felt the need to hide here. Ever since accepting Kavala's job offer - a generous opportunity for a Myrian woman in Riverfall, apparently - it made her uncomfortable. Such open acceptance was not something you were familiar with when your kind was known to kill harmless visitors just by walking too close to the city walls. She was struggling with her own prejudices, and worried a bad encounter with something (or someone) new, would lead her to lose the only shelter and job she had been given this season.

But each time she ran, she felt deep shame. A flush of red showed her own embarrassment, and she sighed, going to where she had abandoned her chores. "I will not run anymore," she told herself, grabbing her supplies. The stain could petch itself.

With her bucket and brush in hand, Kiva rose and tentatively headed down the hall, where she had originally guessed to be the source. As she rounded the corner, a man's voice rose to her ears and she saw a large figure entering the kitchen.

'Keep going,' she reminded herself. She could not tell who it was by the glimpse she saw, but followed shortly after, keeping to the walls as she took in the scene. To her relief, Kavala was there, along with a dog awaiting scraps.

Staying close to the wall, Kiva allowed the two to speak before announcing her own arrival in accented common, "I have scrubbed the floors," She set the items in the corner, wiping her hands on her pants and tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear. She nodded respectfully at the dog and glanced at both people. Motioning to the mound of fruit on the table, it appeared there was cooking to be done. Inexperienced, but willing as part of her job requirement, Kiva quickly offered aid, grabbing a nearby knife, "Do you require assistance?"
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kavala on December 27th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Kavala looked up from where she was having her argument with Ink and smiled at Lian. Both his apology and sudden appearence took her by surprise until she realized that he wasn’t apologizing at all but rather asking her to repeat herself. Kavala brushed a strand of white hair out of her eyes, left a streak of fruit juice on her forehead and laughed. “I’m having an argument with Ink. He wants pie and dog bones. I’m still at the fruit peeling stage. They are asking for food for the Winter Blaze. It’s a pot-luck which means we all bring dishes if we go. So I figured today was the best day and that I’d make some fruit pies since the orchards did so well this year we have a lof of fruit, even over here in our larder.” The Konti said, smiling and gesturing to the kitchen.

“Are you going? Maybe you could jump in and make an offering for the feast as well.” She gestured. The kitchen was the size of small tavern with plenty of counter space. There was easily room for more than one cook. Four in fact could share the kitchen comfortably.

Ink took that moment to look right at Lian and then the huge black Imperial Watcher bounded over to Lian. “You make dog cookies. Bone shaped ones. Our favorite. Ones now aren’t warm, aren’t soft. Like them just made. Yes! You will do!” The dog said, using his size to bully Lian, getting into his face and forcing him backwards slightly. The dog rose on its hind legs and placed its forepaws on LIan’s shoulders. It was as tall as he was standing upright. “Please!” The dog jumped down and backed up a few steps awaiting Lian’s response.

Kavala was slightly horrified. She wasn’t sure if she was horrified Ink was now begging Lian or if he’d just conjugated verbs like a normal person. Kavala ran her hand through her hair again after setting down her peeling knife. “Ink. Manners.” Kavala said automatically as the dog rose up on his hind legs and urged the man by using his forepaws on his shoulders. She wasn’t sure if it was her words or the dogs own actions that got him backing off and looking at Lian with pleading eyes.

“I already told him he had plenty of dog cookies for a few days. He just wants them hot out of the oven.” She avoided mentioning that he could talk. She wasn’t sure what to say about that. Certainly Lian would mention it or maybe make a comment if other animals had been talking around him.

Kavala had once heard a phrase that was utterly suited to the situation. Pink Horse In The Room. Yes. That’s what Inks words were. It only occurred to her then and there to somehow just ask him. She hesitated, still not wanting to say anything, and then barged forward.

“Ink? Why are you suddenly talking? Have you… always been able to talk?” The Konti asked carefully. The dog turned its massive head, looked straight at Kavala, and opened its mouth to speak. It didn’t get a chance to however. Because at that very moment, Kiva stepped into the room, called attention to herself, and asked if they needed help. Three sets of eyes whirled and stared at the Myrian. Ink reacted before Kavala or Lian. “Sure! Make me dog cookeis. Hot. Fresh from the oven.” He said enthusiastically, his tail beginning to wag which in turn started to knock things off the counter near him. Kavala lunged to catch a falling grater and several jars of spice. She glanced at Lian, then pointed towards the hallway leading up to the surface. “Ink. Kennel. Back to your Kennel.” She ordered in a voice that brokered no argument.

The dog turned, shoulders hunched, and slinked towards the exit to the surface.

Then Kavala turned back to Kiva and smiled. She took a moment to gather her wits and take a deep breath or two. Kiva had been doing an amazing job around the facility. She was always cleaning, scrubbing, and working her fingers to the bone when she didn’t have too. There was enough help around. Even the grooms pitched in for housekeeping and everyone did chores on a rotating schedule.

Scrubbing the floors? That wasn’t needed. Kavala visually flinched. “You work too hard Kiva. But thank you. We’re making recipes for The Winter Blaze Party. It’s a Potluck.” Kavala repeated, not sure the Myrian would know what that is. “It means that everyone brings a contribution to the feast. I thought to make pies. I have no idea what Lian will make if anything. Do you want to make a Myrian Dish or something to bring as well? It could be a lot of fun. And if we don’t have the ingredients you need, we can send one of the grooms to town quickly on a fast horse to pick them up if its something we can get in Riverfall.” Kavala suggested.

“There’s prizes for the best recipes. An exotic dish might just win one.” She added, trying to encourage Kiva to relax and maybe have some fun. The woman was dead serious most of the time and Kavala really wanted to get to know her better and perhaps get her to loosen up. Maybe cooking was just the thing.

“I’m going to be peeling a lot of fruit. If you don’t want to do your own dish, you can help me peel fruit. Some people bake pies with the apple skins on, but I don’t prefer them that way. I like them soft and delicious. I add cinnamon too. It’s not an exotic dish, but its something everyone loves and we have – like I was telling Lian – a lot of extra fruit since the orchards did so well last year.” The Konti said, taking a moment to pick up her knife and begin to carefully peel apples again. She didn’t mention the talking dog. She wasn’t even sure Kiva had heard Ink speak.

Speaking of Ink, Kavala glanced just in time to see the giant black Imperial Watcher exit out of the within and head up towards the surface.

1042/11774
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lian Windrunner on December 31st, 2015, 7:42 am

Kavala explained that she was having an argument with her dog, Ink. He, apparently wanted pie, and dog bones. This seemed normal enough, so he smiled, and nodded. She continued to add that she was making fruit pies for her offering for the Winter Blaze. When she asked if he was going too, he nodded again.

"I am. As for making something...I really don't know where to start." he confessed.

Lian looked around the kitchen helplessly. He didn't even know what most of the things in it were, never mind how to use them. And his lost expression likely betrayed that fact.

"I don't think I'm much of a cook, I'm afraid. At least I don't remember much in the way of how to cook. And what I do remember involves cooking over an open camp fire. Not...any of this."

Lian was about to ask if he could help Kavala, and maybe get a lesson of how to cook using these complicated looking devices, but he was distracted when Ink bounded over to him, and demanded that he make bone shaped dog cookies. He stared at the dog in wide eyed surprise. Not at the demand for dog cookies. That seemed like a normal thing for a dog to want. But Ink had spoken in words that a person could understand.

The dog continued on, begging him this time. Lian looked up at Kavala uncertainly. Was she hearing this? Did she understand what her dog was saying, too? Or was he going insane? It was a question he had asked himself many times lately.

"I don't know how to make dog cookies." he replied as Ink rose up on his hind legs, and pressed his fore paws against his shoulders.

Kavala convinced the dog to back down, and said that she'd told Ink that he already had enough cookies. She didn't mention specifically that Ink could talk, but then, she really didn't have to. Lian decided that he would take the matter in stride, and go along with whatever was causing these strange things to happen. Dogs weren't supposed to be able to talk, but here Ink was, talking like it was nothing out of the ordinary. A few days ago when they had gotten there costumes, a couple of tiny dogs had spoken as well. Maybe all animals could talk here. That would explain Talise. Sort of. Except for the fact that she hadn't spoken to him out loud as Ink and the other dogs had. She talked in his head instead.

"If Talise can decide to laugh at me, and talk in my head, then there's no reason why dogs shouldn't be able to talk." he told Kavala with a weak smile.

He might have said more, but Kiva walked in, and asked if they needed help. The talk turned back to the food they were going to make, and Lian was quick to speak up when Kavala offered to let someone help peel fruit.

"I can help with that, if you like." he offered with a smile.

"Peeling fruit is something I can handle. Anything else, and I might be more of a hindrance than a help. But I'd like to learn, if you're willing to teach me."

When Kavala picked up a knife, and began peeling apples, Lian moved to pick up one of his own. His first cut bit into the apple too deeply, but with a few tries, he managed to find the right amount of pressure to use to get a shallow cut. One that would allow him to peel the skin off of the fruit without mangling it beyond recognition. As he worked, he thought about what Kavala had said. Peeling the apples would make them softer than leaving the skins on when using them in a pie. And cinnamon was an ingredient in apple pie. too. Lian couldn't remember if he had ever had pie before. If he had, it probably wasn't something he had had often. But he did like apples, and he was looking forward to get a chance to try the apple pie at the Winter Blaze.

691/4069 total

Lian Windrunner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kiva on January 13th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Kiva had heard of such things, as they had similar traditions back home. She listened to the explanation of a potluck, offering her own, "Yes, the clans would bring food and offerings during our festivals," Otherwise, word would travel that you were chukumu yala, a burden of the tribe. Images of some of the exotic dishes flashed in her mind as possibilities. Maybe she could cook blood dumplings...or not. For some reason the mental imagery of an Akalak's reaction when he bit into the inside of one was priceless to her. A wicked grin flashed briefly on her lips.

"I'm not sure Myri's food could be stomached here." Many of the plants and spices from Falyndar likely wouldn't grow in this land. Not where it was so cold and icy. There was plenty of food in Riverfall she had yet to ever taste, and Kiva wouldn't know the first place to start in replicating one.

Kiva looked around the kitchen, going to retrieve the items the dog had knocked over and return them to the counter. She bent over, looking at the pair before her. It occurred to her that she knew very little about both of them, at least in the long term. It would be foolish to never ask questions, "How do you two know each other?"

The Myrians long fingers adeptly straightened the counters, and she wandered around the kitchen before settling near the two, tossing an apple in the air and catching it. With the knife she had grabbed earlier, Kiva put her thumb on the dull edge and tried to guide the blade under the skin. Working with a small surface was difficult, and not anything she had done before. Attention suddenly focused on the fruit in her hands, she listened and inwardly cursed when the blade went too deep.

Why couldn't they just bring these as is? Wouldn't that be easier?
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Lian Windrunner on January 26th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Lian listened as Kiva spoke of Myrian food, and seemed uncertain whether it could be stomached here. He couldn't help but wonder what kind of foods Myrians ate, and how it differed from food here. Did they eat different kinds of meat? Animals that people wouldn't normally eat here? Or was it a matter of seasoning? Lian himself wasn't a picky eater. Living among his people, you either ate what you were able to hunt, you bought some of whatever was available at the Spit Fire, or you went hungry. It was that simple. As for seasonings...Lian had no room to complain. He counted himself lucky if something he tried to make didn't come out half raw, or burned to a crisp. Spices were completely beyond his grasp.

When Lian finished with the apple he was working on, he set it aside, and picked up another one. Remembering his efforts with the first, he knew how much pressure to exert on the knife to avoid cutting too deeply. He glanced at the apple in his hand for a few ticks, thoughtfully. Then he tried angling the knife a bit rather than cutting as straight as he could. He found that this seemed to work better.

Kiva asked how he and Kavala knew each other. Lian paused in his work as he glanced up at the woman.

"I work for Kavala." he said simply.

"She hired me last season when I was a stranger to this city." he added after a few ticks.

Left unsaid was the risk Kavala had taken in hiring a complete unknown. He himself didn't even know what kind of person he had been before he came to Riverfall. His feelings about how much he owed Kavala for taking that risk and hiring him were also left unsaid.

"How about you?"

305/8811 total

Lian Windrunner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets