Solo [WB Food] A Kindness Repaid

Eosi prepares her dish for the Winter Blaze

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[WB Food] A Kindness Repaid

Postby Eosi on December 22nd, 2015, 6:34 am

10th Day of Winter, 515 AV (morning)

The morning of the Blaze had arrived and predictably, the entire city was in an uproar. Much like Eosi, many had deferred their food items to the last minute in order to keep them fresh. The streets were tightly packed with people hustling to their destinations, a fair few of them loaded with every kind of decoration and amenity imaginable. Those were porters from the look of it, though whether or not they were in the employ of Straif Davin was purely conjecture.

The brightly colored pennants of Riverfall snapped in the breeze against its broad domes and arches. While most avenues were wide enough to accommodate local traffic, there were a few narrow side streets that could be used as shortcuts. The mark at the base of Eosi's neck radiated warmth against the chill as she used her sight to look down from the wide blue firmament, glimpsing at nearby byways to see which were and weren't congested. She found one ahead that weaved around the labyrinthine shops just outside Cora's Apartments and onto the grounds proper.

The Konti she'd chopped the kindling for in days previous had referred her elsewhere, to a young woman fresh from Mura who'd recently passed her citizenship test. The girl was called Aelis; her sister. She'd mentioned offhand that she lacked a dish for the potluck and the Konti wouldn't take 'no,' for an answer. Eosi didn't want to argue. Rivarian hospitality was often as bullheaded as the people who lived there.

Eosi passed through the courtyard and into the careworn lobby, past the faded furniture and down the hall into the west wing. It seemed the wallpaper was peeling in certain places, but if she cared she certainly didn't show it. To her, tasteful decadence had its moments, but overall frivolous decoration was an utter waste of time.

When she reached Aelis' apartment, the door was ajar. Eosi took a hesitant step forward and knocked lightly on the wood, careful not to open it any further. There was a pause. Then suddenly, an ethereal waif of a girl quite literally burst through the doorway.

"Welcome!" She said breathlessly, rubbing her hands on the front of her pretty pink apron. It appeared she was in a similar spirit to those out on the street. "Please come in. I've already got a few things on the stove."

As the two of them crossed the threshold, she noticed that Aelis had taken some liberties with her space. There were silver decorations from floor to ceiling and bowls of water throughout. On the whole, it gave her the impression of a Temple of Avalis. They walked together to the kitchen, where a goose roasted delectably on a spit and a fire crackled happily in the nearby fireplace.

"A goose?" Eosi asked incredulously. She didn't imagine the maidens of Mura had much of a taste for meat. Aelis chuckled, stabbing a silvery spike into the charred flesh.

"My Father and brothers all live here, in Riverfall. I've gone back and forth all my life," the Konti patiently explained. It was a relatively common scenario. She nodded, making a mental note to get a better grasp on her tongue while she was in unfamiliar company.

"I'm bringing the goose, but I've made us sandwiches for lunch. Cream cheese and olive! They're quite decadent, so I only ever eat them on Festivals." Without pause, she snatched the folded piece of cloth that housed them from a nearby surface and set them on the table.

"Before we do anything," she said with a twinkle in her eye, "let's eat! I'm starving."[/font]
Last edited by Eosi on January 13th, 2016, 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eosi
Act first. Teach them to fear you.

Words: 244471
Joined roleplay: November 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eosi on December 24th, 2015, 10:25 pm

The meal was eaten in companionable silence. Eosi stared at the crackling fire beneath the sizzling goose, her eyes drawn into the flame. This was her preferred form of meditation. The heat was a warm and well-appreciated reminder of what it was she stood for, especially given the recent chill. As a result, a mysterious little smile formed on her lips.

"You're in good spirits," Aelis observed with a smile all her own. Eosi couldn't help but chuckle. Hers was at times a lonely life, but it was altogether fulfilling one.

"You're not wrong," she replied wryly. "Though with today being what it is, I couldn't imagine a person in any other state."

To that, Aelis merely grinned. "Then you've obviously never seen my sister on her birthday." Which was fair enough, considering their recent encounter. Eosi found the younger Konti a bit more affable, all in all. For whatever reason, she felt more at ease in her presence though it was difficult to ascertain why.

Once they were finished eating, the two women cleaned their plates and washed up quickly. Eosi took the lead despite her inexperience as a chef, accustomed to scullery work in her younger days. She rinsed all the utensils needed to make what just about the only recipe she knew; Denvali potato salad. It was quick, simple and would suffice for party. Under her breath, she murmured a few words of gratitude toward her departed Aunt, who felt it important Eosi at least learn a few things about feeding herself before she went off to Zeltiva.

She cleared the basin to scrub the potatoes next. There were at least a couple pounds of them. With her sleeves rolled up and her hair pinned back, Eosi looked quite in her element. Aelis even enticed her into wearing an apron of her own, though it was not frilly and pink. The two women worked back to back, orbiting around another with the practiced ease of friends. It was odd, falling into step so naturally with a person she'd only just met. But the buoyancy of her mood glossed over this little wrinkle in what appeared to be an otherwise seamless tapestry.

Once the potatoes were sufficiently scrubbed, the goose was taken off the fire in lieu of a decently-sized saucepan. For a new arrival, Aelis had remarkably nice kitchenware. They were more than likely gifts, from what she could surmise. No wonder Eosi had been sent over. The other Konti no doubt wanted to give her sister a reason to use them. Having sufficiently pieced together the little mystery, she placed the potatoes in the pan with some lightly (a little too 'lightly') salted water.

It was just a waiting game, at that point. Aelis dressed her goose while Eosi stared hypnotically into the fire, glancing back to the pan only occasionally in order to check and see if it'd been brought to a boil. Once the liquid began to the roil and froth, she did her best to help the fire die down a little, though interfering with the hearth was tricky. She ran the risk of extinguishing it altogether, well before she even got started. The Konti stepped in and after a moment of seeking silent permission, she withdrew a poker and expertly shifted a few logs.

"Thank you," she replied. Aelis merely nodded, returning the poker to its rightful place.

The staring resumed. If her companion was bothered by the silence, she didn't show it. This was preferable in a lot of ways to many of the relationships she had developed over the years. Rivarians were a proud people. They could be assumptive and even prying. In her less than jocular moods, some of their questions could even be outright infuriating. But Konti women on the whole seemed to possess a greater degree of tact. This one in particular seemed to have a good sense of her relationship with Eosi, as if she knew exactly what her expectations were.

"Your potatoes are done, I think." Aelis' voice was meek. She broke from her trance with a small start, methodically taking the dish off the fire. Her cheeks were redder than when she'd started, but otherwise Eosi said nothing. Together they drained the liquid into the basin. Then it was as simple as quartering the actual spuds themselves and then seasoning them.
Last edited by Eosi on January 13th, 2016, 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eosi on December 24th, 2015, 11:21 pm

Of course, the seasoning was all its own affair. Eosi replaced the pan with a skillet and began to lightly cook a few slices of bacon and a couple onions, graciously prepared by her counterpart. Had she asked Aelis to do it or hadn't she? For whatever reason, it was difficult to remember. With a slight frown, Eosi returned back to the kitchen proper to prepare the rest of the ingredients.

It was a good thing she'd written out the recipe for the older woman to give to Aelis ahead of time. Sugar, cornstarch, salt, celery seeds, dry mustard and black pepper were very all specific items, some more commonplace than others. She separated each out by measurement, doing her best to eyeball whatever she could and deferring to Aelis for all the rest, though the Konti was mostly busy watching what was on the fire.

Her eyes traced the outline of the bloodless young girl. They made a good team, she decided.

"The bacon is definitely done," Aelis called. Thus, she began gathering the ingredients. Between the two of them, they added the sugar and cornstarch first, then the celery seeds, mustard and pepper. In order to achieve an actually liquid consistency the Konti was sure to add water and vinegar as an afterthought, something Eosi herself had missed.

"That is a very important detail for dressing," she added with an arch look. Eosi permitted her a small chuckle before resuming focus on the task at hand.

While Aelis watched it simmer, Eosi got down to slicing the actual potatoes. That was straightforward enough. They came apart easily in her hands, albeit clumsily. Her quarters were all different sizes, some lopsided and small while others were obtuse and gargantuan. With indifference, she merely went through them as eagerly as possible. She was clearly more interested in achieving the end than experiencing the journey.

As soon as the dressing thickened, which only required about a minute or two, Aelis began scooping the potatoes into the actual skillet. As they hit the metal, they sizzled enticingly. Eosi wore a small smile of approval as she continued to work. Together, the pair of cooks managed to get the potatoes completely sliced and in with the dressing in a under a half bell, when all was told.

"Good job," Aelis said encouraging. "You move with competence, which helps to make up for your lack of ability." Eosi nodded, taking the critique in stride. If she hadn't honestly needed the help, she never would have agreed in the first place.

"Just a thought, but maybe next time you could try using some of the measuring cups I have for your ingredients? Cooks only do that after a long time of cooking, when they have years of experience to refer to." So that explained her Aunt's mysterious powers of estimation. Feeling a little sheepish, she nodded. It was rare someone could continue to correct her without at least putting her in a bit of a temper.

"Thank you." Eosi said. It was difficult to know what else to say. It was their first meeting and she barely knew a thing about her. This didn't seem to affect the Konti in the slightest. Aelis nodded warmly, turning to ladle the contents of the skillet into a wooden container for her to take to the party.

"You helped my sister a lot," she explained. "Her husband recently passed away and she has been left raising their children, though she has no shortage of help. People like you have been a blessing to my family. This is why Riverfall is my home."

"You speak with conviction," Eosi replied, resting her elbows against the table. "I'm glad to have met you." The statement wasn't anything but organic. There was nothing necessarily sentimental in her tone of voice either, but Aelis beamed. It was all that was required for a kindness repaid.

"Aye. As have I, friend Eosi. Come see me at the Blaze tonight. I'll be around." The Konti stuck a lid on the wooden container and wrapped it neatly with a nearby scrap of cloth. The presentation of it was all-in-all, well done.

"Now, get going. I've got to finish my costume!"

And with that, she was politely seen to the door.

final word count2048 words
Eosi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Skyard Underwood on September 19th, 2016, 7:30 pm

Grades

Skills

Observation + 3

Socialization + 3

Cooking + 4

Lore :
Food preparation: Rinsing vegetables

Some Konti Enjoy Meat

Cooking: Using a Measuring Cup

Aelis: A very friendly, knowledgeable individual

Additional Comments :
You write incredibly well, and this was my first read of your content! Enjoy your grades, if you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Words: 205954
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook