Solo A Second or Third Start

9th of Winter 515 AV: Shane Returns Home

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Second or Third Start

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2016, 2:26 am

Timestamp: 9th of Winter, 515 AV

The wind rattled and chilled his bones where the young man stood by the prow of the old sailing ship. The frigid, gnawing cold that had been ever present since the ship passed out of the relative warmth of the Cyphrus autumn was oddly comforting despite his threadbare clothing. It was early yet in the Syliran Winter but even an autumn gust was magnificently more frozen than he had become used to since he left the continent of his birth.

Upon the horizon a great working of stone was coming into view. A great, hulking citadel where thousands of folk both everyday and less so struggled with life's challenges. A place where many were born and died in the same home. People rose and fell all the time but there was a casual normality to it all. A gentle hardship less savage but more brutally unchanging than exotic lands. To the young man with pale blue eyes, eyes that drank in the Citadel with a measure of dread and hope, Stormhold was home. The place his father had left, his mother had died, where he'd scavenged for food and found something above himself. Stormhold was the place where an angry young youth had attempted to throw aside his weakness and climb to the top.

The man who returned was no longer a boy by any means. He was taller in stature and his skin was no longer quite so pale. His childishly oversized ears fit more securely upon his head. He had acquired some scars and a little muscle but all these changes were nothing. Mere drawings upon the wall. The most significant changes were inside. He had seen more of the world, he had questioned it and himself, he had pondered more deeply the simplest things he had once taken for granted. He had grown within and he had forgiven himself. He could never have returned without forgiving himself.

The docks were fast approaching as a silver haired young lady approached. “It's not what I remembered, Master Wallsly, not at all.” She remarked in a high, slow drawl. She had lived in Kenash for six years and the accent of the peoples there had clearly rubbed off on her.

We have yet to arrive. Do you take such stock in first impressions?” The young man replied without turning. His pale blue eyes drank in the approaching docks with a curious intensity.

If I did, I would certainly not be speaking to you.” She replied with a hint of a smile.

Aaaah, yes. How could I forget?” Shane replied turning his eyes away from the docks to look at her. There moment of meeting had been a devilish affair he would not soon forget. “I am eternally grateful, my Lady.” He stepped toward her as he spoke and took her hand in his. “What an eventful journey this has been. Perhaps one day this shall feature in my memoirs.” His smile turned rogueish as he lifted her hand above her head and caused her to execute a playful yet unplanned twirl. She giggled and stepped into him. “A kiss, my Lady?” He asked. “One last goodbye.” She answered and their lips locked in what they both hoped was one final farewell.

They were of different worlds upon the shore and by prior agreement were to see each other no more when they stepped off board. There lips slowly eased apart and the young Lady opened eyes she had not even realized she had shut. He held her for a few more precious moments before finally releasing her. “You taught me that emotion and logic were two of a kind. It's a dreadfully romantic to the point of insincere thing to say but I was such a buffoon before that it's true. Enjoy your life wherever it goes and remember the fond, few days we spent together but forget me and do not be so quick to judge the Citadel. It took me a year to realise there is more beauty there than all of Riverfall. The dock approaches. Say no more and depart. Your father's people would no doubt have me if they suspected us of some whirlwind affair.” Shane spoke with a gently but commanding authority. The young Lady listened and when he was done she said no more but pecked him upon the cheek and assembled what little luggage she had deigned to carry herself.

When they arrived at the dock Shane took a final glance at the beautiful, young woman of high status and strolled down onto the dock. He carried but one chest for that was all the fortune and worldly possessions he had left in this world. Yet he felt full of joy and apprehension. He'd made it here before when his confidence had been low and his skills barely tangible. Shane was ready to meet the same old challenges and more. Shane was ready to succeed.
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

A Second or Third Start

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2016, 3:20 am

The lack of a chime sounding as Shane entered the dusty little shop gave him considerable pause. He had not, until that moment, realized that he had missed something as insignificant as a chime that had usually sounded when entering the shop when he had worked here all that time ago. He looked up at the top-left of the door frame and noted the obvious reason for the lack of chime. The little bell that had sat there was missing.

Shane sighed and entered in any case allowing the door to shut behind him as he put the chest down on an old wooden table. A flash of memory struck him as he looked at the table. He'd read many a book there while supposedly working. He swept his gaze over the rest of the shop he had once worked. In every nook and cranny he saw almost as many memories as he saw dust. Avira clearly hadn't been keeping up with the dusting. In all fairness the old man hadn't dusted before Shane nor during his time there. Shane sure had spent a lot of his first few months here getting the shop into an organized state but it had never quite stayed that way.

Where was the old man anyway? He wasn't sitting behind the big old bronze till where he had spent most of his days back then. It seemed he must have been in that ancient labyrinth of dusty bookcases that covered the rest of the surprisingly deep store. It occurred to Shane then that really anyone could come into the shop while Avira was in the back and make off with just about anything they wanted.

Ello, Sir. Welcome to the Undeniable Interests. Ye looking for anythin' in particular?” An old voice filled with thinly veiled politeness addressed him as if the mere thought of theft had summoned him.

Shane looked up and what he saw was startlingly familiar. He knew it hadn't been many years or anything since last he had seen him but it seemed impossible that Avira would look the exact same. Against all logic the old man looked like nary a day had gone by since Shane had quit his job and stormed out of the shop. “Well I was looking for my old broom. It seems like you haven't given this place a good sweep since I left.” Shane replied trying to keep a smile from alighting his face.

The old man looked, for once, utterly confused. Then it began to dawn upon him and look of barely believed recognition swept his face as he squinted at Shane. “Wallsly?” There was a hint of that old, stern gruffness but mostly it was disbelief. “What... I thought... They said you'd gone away.

I did.” Shane confirmed nodding “But there's no place like home. I...” Shane wanted to say something about storming out, about staying away for months long before even leaving, about not saying goodbye. He hadn't owed Avira anything. The man wasn't his father or anything. Yet Shane had always felt a little guilty about not burying the hatchet before he left the city. “I should have said goodbye.

It doesn't matter, Wallsly.” The old man said waving a meaty hand. “Your a bloody ingrate but ah knew that when I firs' met yeh.” He continued in a hard but dismissive tone.

Don't you-” Shane began raising his voice but halted as his reason told him to calm. “You never wanted me, Dominac. You wanted a slave and when you found out he had a gift you thought you could take it all for yourself. I bet you weren't even going to give me a pay increase. That's why I walked out. Yes, you gave a street urchin the coin to put bread on the table. I owe you a bit for that but don't start acting like I'm some ungrateful lout. You were the one who wanted to turn my talents to gold that you could hoard all to yourself.

Avira strode over to the counter while Shane spoke and sat upon the chair behind it leveling a measured glance at him. He paused for a long moment before responding in a resigned voice. “Aye, maybe I did at that. Grew a spine out there in the world, did ye?

I grew up. The spine comes with it.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Second or Third Start

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 5th, 2016, 6:36 pm

What's in the chest, Wallsly?” Avira grunted nodding in it's direction. “Got some exotic treasures for me to sell?

No, just my worldly possessions.” He shook his head as he thought of the coins he had spent in the last year. “I still have quite a bit of coin left from my old shop. I'm sure there will be nothing after I get my old room back from the Knights. I probably should have adventured more while I was overseas.

Sylir's Boots, boy, you're almost penniless and back where you started. You askin' for your old job back?” Avira asked gruff but obviously joking. “You'd make more money setting up another little fortunetelling shop.

I probably would. I'll never understand how that was a sound business plan but it was working well.” Shane mused as he thought back to all the gold he had made using mostly lies and the tiniest bit of actual magic. “A job doesn't sound bad though. Still looking to make a lot of coin?

Avira's eyes narrowed a fraction as he grunted “How?

Since you saw me last my skills have grown. I can identify magic items with a lot more ease. I've grown quite a bit better at reading people and my people skills are almost hypnotic. Everything you wanted from me I can give you but this time I want what I am due. You can handle the business side of everything but I want a good wage for this.” Shane was putting all of his cards on the table. He was overselling and he knew it. Most of all he knew Avira knew it. That old codger's mind was churning behind those narrowed eyes. It was a look Shane had seen reserved only for those few large transactions; the sale of rare and magical items that were actually legitimate. It told Shane that Avira was considering this in a serious way.

It won't work.” The old man finally replied. “I know magic from mundane and I know people. All you got is a slightly quicker way of doing it. Time might not be on my side, Rhysol's Bloody Head that's the truth, but I got plenty of time to make do. I ain't dying or nothing and any jewels I win in this life I'll leave behind soon enough. What then eh? You'll come along and grab ev'rythin'? No relatives or nothing to pass down to. Knights'll take it or give it to the... 'business partner'. Nah, won't work. Nothing doing.” He scowled and crossed his arms as he finished almost to emphasize his point.

Shane's scowl was twice as stern. His response was sudden. “You won't work with me for fear of me inheriting your money? What? That is so incredibly spiteful. I... Why even make money in the first place? Huh? You've got the gold to live in some comfort. Why are you still here? I'll tell you why..!

Shane moved his legs into a level stance. He brought his hands to his side and gazed intensely at the old man. Shane didn't need to blink anymore. Shane didn't need to find the djed within. It just clicked. One moment he was staring at a grimy, old, stubborn fool sitting amid dust and semi-filled bookcase the next he was staring into a maelstrom of vibrant colour. The dull muted, dust-covered tones of the material world was a mask. In truth this shop was alive, it had a beat of it's own and a rich, deep history told by every item in every place. The center of it all was him. Avira's aura was large and richly detailed. For every moment Shane focused upon it he was aware of something knew like looking at a great work of art where in every inch lies new symbolism and deeper meaning. He had never before contemplated that there could be so many layers to his gruff former employer.

Curiously, the longer he looked it seemed the larger Avira's aura was becoming. It seemed to him like bits of it were reaching out to the shop and it seemed the shop was reaching out to him. Then it clicked and Shane knew two important things. He had no doubt that somewhere within he had already known it but now he could clearly see it. With an effort of will the colours vanished from his vision swirling away and vanishing leaving nought but the plain old world behind. “I know.” Shane said in a quiet voice.

Avira leaned forward scowling less but suddenly more grim. “What do you know?

This shop.” Shane started. “It is you. It's all you. The wife you never loved, the child you never had. This shop is the sum of your entire life. More so your body and blood than the meat on your bones and the crimson in your veins... Oh and that was a test too. You didn't mean any of it. You wanted me to do that. To show you what I can do. Hardly a fair test, Dominac, I already know you too well.

Dominac's grim expression cracked as a tiny, amused smile flickered on his lips. “Not quite, Wallsly, I'd still rather take all this to my grave then pass it on to the likes of you.” His smile dropped and he relaxed back into his chair. “But I think I can make something of your talents but it's second name terms, Wallsly.

Shane allowed himself a silent sigh of relief before replying “Fair enough but I won't be your shop boy. I don't tidy, I don't run errands unless they're important. If you want all that, get a boy. I'm an Aurist, Avira, and I expected to be treated according to my skills.

In my shop coin means status. You bring that in, Wallsly, and I'll treat you like the bloody Grandmaster himself.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Second or Third Start

Postby Shane Wallsly on January 9th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Having hopefully secured something nearing a job it was time for Shane to perform one last errand. He needed a place to stay. Preferably his place. There was no guarantee his old room would still be around. Shane couldn't possibly comment on the turnover rate of Housing in Syliras so he couldn't even come up with an estimate. Still, he wanted that old room. He'd grown up in it. His mother had died in it.

He stepped into the Housing Authority for the first time since he had come to sign out of his residency. He had wanted every Miza he could muster for his 'new life'. It was a bit of a regret now. Shane would have survived without the Mizas and always had a home to return too. The Knight he had spoken too last time, a Sergeant Knight Tenner, was sitting in almost the exact spot he'd left him in over a year ago. The man did not even look much different. It was a touch unsettling.

Clearly Shane had changed some at least for the look given him was the casual sizing up of a stranger. Then again they had only met the once before. Clearly Shane was just better with faces. “Welcome!” The Knight spoke openly and grinned like a fool. “Welcome to the Housing Authority. I am Sergeant-

Knight Tenner. You are happy to be of service and wish to know if I am signing away a room or seeking one. Yes?” Shane replied in a straightforward manner.

The Knight's grin faltered for but a second and a flash of a more calculating than friendly set of eyes warned Shane that no Knight of Sylir was to be taken lightly friendly attitude or no. “Ah, have we been here before? I apologise if I do not remember you but I meet many people in this line of work you understand. Care to take a seat, Mister..?

Wallsly, Shane Wallsy. Yes, I signed my room away a year ago to go traveling. I have returned in one piece and would very much like to go back to my old, quiet life.” Shane replied taking a seat opposite the knight.

Ah yes, you ran that peculiar little shop didn't you? Yes, my little cousin went to you once. She came back a little funny.” The Knight's tone was casual and friendly but his eyes narrowed somewhat as he spoke the last word.

Shane was somewhat taken aback that someone remembered him. He had not expected anyone bar his limited customers to remember his shop never mind recognize his name and face. Shane felt a bit queasy all of a sudden and his instincts were telling him this was a bad conversation to follow so he attempted to change the subject. “Yes, it's oft hard to hear the truth. So anyway I would like my home back if it's available. If not any other will do. Shelter and hearth is all I'm after, you understand.

The Knight was staring curiously at him now some of the remnants of his prior friendliness draining from his face. “Yes the truth.” The Knight repeated signalling that this matter would not be dropped easily. “She told her soon-to-be that she wouldn't marry him and ran off to Sunberth with her childhood friend. Sylir knows if I hadn't raced out to meet her before she fled the gates what might have happened to her out there in the Wilds. Worse even if she'd arrived in Sunberth.

I, uh, I'm sorry to here that Knight Tenner-

Sergeant Knight.” He interrupted

Sergeant Knight Tenner, but sometimes people do ridiculous things before getting married.

Crazy like professing her love for another woman?

I... She what?” In a flood of memory Shane suddenly remembered the young, nervous woman whom he had convinced to follow her heart. Unluckily for her, her heart had been telling her that she loved a woman and not the man her family wanted her to marry. It hadn't even seemed like a good idea at the time but something inside Shane had been ignited by the young woman's plight. Perhaps he'd seen something of his own against-the-grain tendencies in her or maybe he was a deluded sociopath who thought magic powers gave him the right to tell people how to live their lives. In any case he was getting the feeling he was now about to regret it.

The friend she was trying to run away with. She'd practically kidnapped her and was now professing her lover for her. She said many, strange things but thankfully only to me. My Uncle would never have let her see the light of day again if he'd heard them. Sylir in Ukalas, it was a mess.” Sergeant Knight Tenner seemed to have momentarily forgotten about Shane as he verbally reviewed the events from his memories. It did not last long. “And all after she went to your shop... Come to think of it, exactly after she left your shop. She went home, assembled her things, and away she went kidnapping and fleeing such as nobodies business. Hmmm...” The Knight's expression had soured and creased into tempered anger as he glowered across the table at Shane.

I... What are you saying? Is this an accusation, Ser?” Shane rose to his feet indignantly.

Maybe it is, Mister Wallsly, but I would remind you to know your place. I am a Knight of Sylir. The Justice of the Citadel is on my shoulders and I do not make accusations loudly. Sit down and fill out this paperwork.” The Knight slid some forms across his desk. “I know Aurists in the order. I know you could not have hurt her with it and I am not filled with the common kind of magical paranoia. I'll be keeping my eye on you though, Mister Wallsly. There are magics that could have done something like that and if I hear anything strange going on around you, anything at all, your head will be on a pike. Got it?

Shane gulped. “Yes, Ser.

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

A Second or Third Start

Postby Anuk on February 21st, 2018, 11:46 am

G R A D E

XP

Flirting +1
Observation +2
Rhetoric +1
Negotiation +2
Auristics +1

Lores

Syliras Location: Undeniable Interests
Dominac Ariva: Stubborn & disorganised
Negotiation: Knowing when you're overselling
Negotiation: Setting limits
Syliras location: Housing Authority
Sergeant Knight Tenner: Does not appreciate over-familiarity
Some people do crazy things on the advice of a fortune-reading

N O T E S

Enjoyable read from beginning to end, especially the complex and vibrant personality you inject into NPCs!

If you feel I missed anything, shoot me a PM!
Don't forget to edit your grade request here.  
Anuk
Player

Words: 13460
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2017, 1:01 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets