Flashback [Ruins of Old] In the Jaws of the Jungle (Kiva)

A pair of Myrians find themselves surrounded by the secrets held by the remains of a ruin.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

[Ruins of Old] In the Jaws of the Jungle (Kiva)

Postby Kaie on August 14th, 2015, 5:07 am

70th of Winter, 510 A.V.
Late Afternoon

She didn't have a death wish, even if her behavior certainly said so. The fourteen year old's head was swollen with the illusions that came with that young sensation of invincibility. Venturing this far outside her clan lands into the jungle would've had her clan elders shaking their heads, if only they knew. Stubborn recklessness and an insatiable thirst to constantly prove herself, had the young woman convinced she could go it a few bells alone. She was in no way defenseless at the very least. A spear fitted with a curious darksteel spearhead rested firmly in her hands, and a loaner gladius from her trainer hung from her hip in its leather sheath. The emptiness that characterized the small, woven bag slung across her body attested to a lack of success when it came to killing any quarry. And the frustration was evident in the tightness in her eyes and the beginning of a curl to her upper lip.

For petch's sake, Caiyha is testing me today, the Myrian griped within the privacy of her thoughts. Bare feet advanced slowly forward, spear swiveling carefully before her as she kept a keen eye on the unpredictable jungle. Familiar hunting grounds had been left far behind. She was even farther than the place she'd found and hunted with the half-breed, Tinnok, years ago. Strange ground did not stop Kaie from continuing northward in search of any sure sign of worthy game. A tree was gouged now and then should she lose her bearings, and the unnerving that came from venturing out of range was firmly swallowed for fear she might let dread in. Let me find some sign of something. Just let something cross my path.

Perhaps she was searching for something to just savagely dig the fatal side of a weapon into, something that would bleed when she wounded it. Usually a challenging spar would satisfy her desire to exercise aggression in the way her society encouraged. Today, however, seeking out an opponent seemed almost daunting to the woman. Her trainer, Yitmah, was not around to dole out his own daily torments to condition the budding warrior; and with her partner in crime, Keikyo, away in Taloba, that left Kaie to her own devices when it came to stirring up chaos. It was never a feat anyways. Sooner or later, trouble found the young Myrian whether she was ready for it or not.

Amber eyes widened for a tick before the woman dropped into a low crouch. Her spear rested along her knees, an index finger slipping down to feel the depth of the tracks that laid beneath her. Claws in the prints. Four digit pads. Akila? Petching hope not. One all on its own is really unlikely. A head snapped up, swiveling this way and that as if the creature who created the trail was lurking in the brush. She gave a scratch at her head, doing her best to decipher how fresh the tracks truly were before she rose to her feet again. The spear was tossed from one hand to the next before she settled low, letting the spear head lead as she continued to move. Her heels came down first before she rolled to the balls of her feet with each step in an effort toward stealth.

No sooner had she maneuvered away from the tracks did she hear the snapping of wood beneath something's step. Eyes widened in alarm, and her body all but threw itself against the side of the wide trunk of the nearest tree opposite the sound. The young woman cursed under her breath and gripped her spear with an iron grasp. The mystery creature continued to approach, its ominous pacing only growing louder as it closed the gap between them. Kaie grit her teeth, heart racing, and sprung from around her hiding place with a savage cry. The creature gave an alarmed yelp before Kaie switched tactics and planted a front kick to its chest. It landed flat on its back, gasping, shocked gaze locked onto the fatal presence of the unorthodox spearhead that hovered over their throat. The woman of her kind, perhaps a few years her senior, lifted her palms upward in silent submission. The sounds of other Myrians wandering out of view nearby warned her that her almost-victim was not alone.

"You're a little far from home," Kaie observed with a cock of her brow, seeming to plainly enjoy the momentary look of sheer terror she'd elicited out of the newcomer. "I could say the same to you. For Goddess sake, have you even had your Blooding yet?" the woman, far less amused given her predicament, shot back from the ground, taking a moment to catch her breath that had been knocked from her lungs ticks ago. "Either way, your day could've turned to shyke had you been a Dhani. Unless you were following me. Then I'd have to take that back." The woman gave a snort. Despite the dagger strapped to her hip, she hadn't tried to unsheathe it to retaliate. "As if I give two shykes where you were going. Now get that petching thing out of my face." She gave a rough shove of the spearhead away from her neck, glancing behind her as if she were expecting her friends were close behind. Or rather, hoping they were far enough back that they hadn't caught the embarrassment of her ambush.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kiva on December 12th, 2015, 10:57 pm

70th of Winter, 510 A.V.
Late Afternoon

Kiva was on high alert. The jungle was a nasty place to be caught at night if you weren't prepared. Their little group of rowdy youth wasn't likely to do much if they ran into some serious trouble, but Myrian tenacity was something to be feared. If push came to shove, they'd do what ever they could to survive, even if it meant biting their enemy to pieces. But in Caiyha's realm, you never knew what that would be... A large cat? Akila hounds? Some particularly ravenous monkeys?

As Kiva sneaked through the jungle, she purposefully kept her footsteps light, balancing on the balls of her feet and being careful not to crack too many branches under her weight. They sent a scout ahead, staying within earshot just in case, and Kiva lifted a hand to stop the group. They followed her signal, despite their not being a set "leader" among them, and listened. A rustling... very slight. Kiva withdrew the kris from it's place at her waist, and tried to determine from where it came from. It wasn't long until they heard a yelp and Kiva darted forward. No longer concerned with noise, Kiva barreled forward, propelling her weight and using the muscles in her legs to run at full speed. She burst through thick foliage, pushing past leaves larger than her torso, and skidded to a stop at what she saw.

It wasn't an animal or monster to attack her friend, but another girl. Another Myrian. The stranger was younger, and to see their scout on the ground made Kiva raise a brow, "What is this?" she asked, nearly amused. Her dark eyes scanned over the younger female, nodding in acknowledgement.

"Who are you?" Kiva inquired, just as the others arrived, ready for action. They had a similar response, assessing the situation and determining what had happened. Did this girl take down their companion? One of them chuckled, laughing at their scout. Kiva grinned, but remained respectful. It was dark and she was likely caught by surprise. "Tell me, what are you doing out here?"
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Kaie on December 29th, 2015, 4:13 am

Kaie couldn't help but let the wicked grin that twitched at her lips spread like wildfire across her smug face. She jabbed the harmless end of the spear shaft into the dirt and placed a hand on her hip, amber eyes watching the noisy jungle expectantly. The older girl huffed, taking a step back all too late before her gang of compatriots emerged from the foliage to rush to her aid.

Right on time, she couldn't help but muse to herself. One girl burst forth before the others that ran close at her heels. She was tall, far taller than her junior wielding the spear. Kaie's amber gazed clashed with the light brown eyes lined with thick black kohl. The scout, still very obviously displeased with the humiliation before her allies, stepped back to fall in line with the others while the unofficial group leader address her attacker. The line of questioning had Kaie arching a slender brow. What did she owe any answer?

"You don't look like my Tokoh," the youth responded with and airy snort and a lean upon her spear, shoulders shrugging passively in the face of the minor interrogation. Her eyes scanned the warriors in her midst. Though she did not fear being outnumbered, she could not ignore the blatant superiority of the one woman doing all the talking. She was a fellow female and certainly her senior. Moreover, she had thus treated the unruly solo traveler with respect.

"It's a nice day for a hunt. I hoped I might bring something worthwhile back to my clan," she readjusted her tone to reflect better manners and cleared her throat. A flash of teeth was given before the darksteel spearhead was gestured toward the first Myrian she'd come in contact with since her departure from clan lands. "Instead I caught your scout."
"Skurak," the scout spat venomously out of spite, hand grasping the hilt of her dagger with grinding teeth. Kaie winked at her and returned her gaze back to the talking head.
"I'm Kaie of the Cutthroat Shadows. Who are you, and what are you all doing so far from Taloba?"

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kiva on January 6th, 2016, 7:00 pm

The lone girl gave a challenging reply, and in response, Kiva arched a thin brow. It was true, she was no one's tokah, not that the idea of becoming one was unappealing. Kiva looked over the younger female, interested. She was grinning, and looked wild - mischievous. She was obviously happy she had taken down their teammate and with good reason. The older Myrian found a ghost of a smile on her own lips, ignoring the curse from the scout.

"A noble endeavor," Kiva said diplomatically, waving towards her friend, "But such a catch would only lead to disappointment." A teasing grin spread across her lips.

The scout, named Bek, had eyes that shot towards Kiva and she tried to give a shove to the woman. Kiva expected some sort of response to be coming, and quickly moved out of the way, eyes falling back on Kaie. Leaning against a nearby tree, and still smiling, Kiva placed a hand on her chest and nodded, "I am Kiva of The Crimson Sun. These are my friends. We are-"

Kiva's words were cut off from a hiss of protest from one of her comrades. "You plan to just spill our intentions to a child? Who says we can trust her?"

Bek was quick to agree, "Yes. She might be eager to get us caught."

Kiva's head snapped to the side, and she gave a glare, "Myri says so," Kiva spat, "Is she not Myrian herself? Your pride is speaking, and you have revealed more than I have," Did they not just admit that they were guilty of something? Irritation flashed on her features, waving the others off.

She addressed Kaie again, as if she had not been interrupted. Kiva lowered her voice conspiratorially, smiling all the same, "We are going to the Ruins of Old, Kaie of The Cutthroat Shadows."

Then, ignoring everyone else, Kiva made a new offer, "You have sharp ears and wit. Would you care to join us?" Another round of protests, but Kiva only watched the girl, interested in her response. "We seek secrets and the challenges of our ancestors. What say you?"
★★★
ImageImage
Kiva
Player

Words: 225555
Joined roleplay: February 24th, 2015, 7:34 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1