Pycon Survival

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Pycon Survival

Postby Numia on January 16th, 2016, 10:04 am

I've been thinking Pycon, particularly in the wilderness, and the sort of challenges and differences they have that are unique to them. So, I'd like to raise a few questions about how Pycon fair in the wilderness! I've also thrown in a few more questions that I was curious about.

1. How long can Pycon hold their breath? I theorize this is comparable to a human?

2. Can Pycon swim, or do rivers/streams pose a great challenge to them?

3. Do Pycon have the scent of clay, and if so what sort of predators do you think they would have to contend with?

4. Would Yukmen treat them any differently?

5. Is clay as ubiquitous in Mizahar as it is in the real world?

6. Is 'unpure' clay disgusting or unhealthy to Pycon?

7. How can I tell how strong a Pycon is? Are they comparable to a human, or would it be based off their weight?

8. Pycon have elastic bodies, is there a comparison to this elasticity? I'm sort of imagining soft clay that bounces back to the original position unless it gets crushed too badly.
Numia
Player

Words: 82491
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2016, 7:11 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Pycon Survival

Postby Nivel on January 16th, 2016, 11:37 am

I feel like ball can answer the survival questions better than me but I'll tackle the other questions.

1. About the same, you can bloat your self up like a ballon to hold more air but it also makes moving pretty difficult and is hard to maintain but probably gets easier with time.

2. Yes, especially for a character your weight. Though you probably don't have to worry about being pulled down stream as much. If you are going to train that skill start with puddles and work your way up so you don't drown.

3. I don't imagine their very tasty but they can some times look like food, I think monsters and crooks pose the bigger threat. I'm pretty sure that an animal is more likely to attack a Pycon out of fear then out of necessity.

4. They might be less likely to notice them but once they do, it's best to run or fight them if you're strong enough (running is usually best)

5. Pretty much. Knowledge of geology should help in finding and properly identifying clay though.

6. The taste of clay is up to you, Nivel describes the taste of clay with silly abstract concepts like the gentil glow of moon moon light in summer or like the burning taste of betrayal. I feel like pycons filter out most things that don't belong but if the clay were particularly nasty they might get sick, it's up to you what a sick Pycon might look like. My one Pycon alt became water logged which made him rather bloated and soggy. He would occasionally erupt in puffs of mist like a sneeze.

7.About the same as a human usually, but I imagine while your density makes you prone to sinking it also makes you hit a bit harder than most pycons. You can also harden your clay in a similar fashion to flexing a muscle, it's some thing pycons learn with pyken but can also be used in acrobatics to shift your weight around.

8. not really sure but I guess like silly putty but less goopy and more firm.
Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Pycon Survival

Postby Ball on January 22nd, 2016, 3:49 am

All my answers are listed below your questions in Italicized font:

1. How long can Pycon hold their breath? I theorize this is comparable to a human?
It is exactly the same length as a Human can without training. Even though we do not have lungs we still have to breathe.
2. Can Pycon swim, or do rivers/streams pose a great challenge to them?
We can swim. It isn't fun though being waterlogged, however our shape can be altered: Air bubble bloating or shaping ourselves to be a boat shape is very helpful.
3. Do Pycon have the scent of clay, and if so what sort of predators do you think they would have to contend with?
We smell of clay... Predators? Not many that I know of eat clay... However, we are small and some of us wear gemstone fashion which an attact critters that would enjoy shiny objects: Foxes, Racoons, Maybe even birds if we glitter enough. Bit other wise, pretty much what Nivel said.
4. Would Yukmen treat them any differently?
Pfft. Nope.
5. Is clay as ubiquitous in Mizahar as it is in the real world?
Nivel answer this one well.
6. Is 'unpure' clay disgusting or unhealthy to Pycon?
Unpure clay sounds like mud... However, clay is pretty subjective to the Pycon taste wise and effect wise if it contains more of one thing than another.
7. How can I tell how strong a Pycon is? Are they comparable to a human, or would it be based off their weight?
It actually has a rough idea of how strong a Pycon is in the Lore... Let me go find them. There are a few quotes.
It may look solid enough, but it will not withstand moderate or heavy hits - a person stepping on them will easily squash their bodies, revealing that they have no blood, bones or internal organs.

A Pycon's clay flesh can be fully controlled, stretched, turned and twisted as long as it is attached to the head or nexus. It can also be reattached to the main body if separated, provided that this happens within a couple hours. Every part of a Pycon's body can be used as a joint, though unnatural motions require some concentration on their part. The peculiar anatomy of the Pycon makes them surprisingly durable despite their fragile bodies; they often escape danger by playing dead and keeping their heads safe.

As you can read from those quotes, they are pretty durable and strong. I wouldn't say that their strength is derived from one thing or another. However, clay is a heavy dense material to begin with and most, if no all, of our physical strength comes from our elasticity or ability to mold.

8. Pycon have elastic bodies, is there a comparison to this elasticity? I'm sort of imagining soft clay that bounces back to the original position unless it gets crushed too badly.
I imagined something sort of like soft clay, maybe more like playdoh or molding clay. I always imagine tension that a Pycon creates acts much like a rubberband down after you pull it out and then release it. Nivel mentione da few skills in her answer to 7 which I didn't mention above because I feel they are more reflective to this answer. Pyken is a Pycon specific style of Unarmed Combat that Pycons use their elasticity, weight, and ability to unattach and reattach limbs to combat against others. Acrobatics takes our ability to be flexible and elasticity to a whole other level of insanity though, I think Archailist would be best to answer that though personally.

Our size is not a laughing matter after all ;) We are truly beasts in the battlefield.
Avatar CreditsMy lovely Avatar was drawn and created by the most awesome Nivel

Graders Please Note :
As Ball is getting closer and closer to maxing out Pyken as a skill, I would like to request that in places where Ball is not doing enough to constitute Pyken XP if Pyken technique lores could be issued instead.

Examples of proper XP level for Pyken would be: Ball developing or refining his technique by adding new thing against an actual moving target, not a dummy.

The use of basic skills alone are not enough to accomplish XP at Ball's current level of Pyken.

Thank you.

I will be handling all Ball related posts on Mondays @ 1800 my time *
Ball
Ser Ball -- Pycon Knight of Syliras

Words: 460478
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 4:52 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes