[Quest] A Simple Game of Cat and Hunter (Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Quest] A Simple Game of Cat and Hunter (Closed)

Postby Cheshire on November 23rd, 2010, 9:58 pm

ImageTimestamp: 1st of Winter, 510 AV
Purpose: Hunt and Lesson on Vantha Hunting

Every once in a while the wildlife in the Wastes or the Reaches in Taldera would get a bit to large for the likings of Jedara Whitevine, the leader of Icewatch. It was her job to keep an eye on the levels of the wildlife in the wilderness and it was a very important job. The last time Icewatch had grown lax in the eyes in Caiyha's Talderian creatures a great leader was lost. It was the instance that put Jedara in her position but also a dark day in the eyes of Avanthal.
There had been reports from many of the hunters of Frostfawn that snow leopards were becoming a growing threat. A few hunters and Icewatch members had died because of the raging felines. They usually stay in their place either in the Reaches or the Wastes but they were beginning to move inward toward the city of Avanthal. It was now time for action and Jedara turned to Keriay Frostfawn.

ImageKeriay was a well rounded hunter although she did not seem like it at first glance. Although she was beautiful she could take down a good number of the men sharing her hold. She was a serious hunter. She saw her practice as an art and only hunted with the best of her hold. She was young but she was also quick with her bow. She had the right to be choosy if she felt the need. When word was circulating around the hold about the growing danger of the Talderian felines she knew she had to take a stab at the challenge. She scoured the hold looking for anyone looking to prove their worth in the city. The pelt of a Talderian Snow Leopard always fetched a good price and the meat was well sought after. The challenge was open to anyone in Frostfawn or Icewatch. They would go into the Wastes and take down as many leopards as they could. It was risky and there was a good chance a few hunters would not return to the city. That was the fear in every hunt in Taldera though. Avanthal living was not for the faint of heart. Even more so when hunting was involved.

The quest would take cunning of course. One would need to be proficent in weaponry to make sure they did not perish in the blistering cold of the Wastes. A good knowledge of Wilderness Survival was always welcome too. The most important possession a hunter could hold was their common sense though. Without it they were just fighting blindly in the snow. That might have worked in town for training but against animals twice the height of a Vantha is just did not cut it. The cats would not backdown to a few people swinging weapons or even a kelvic or two with their fangs and claws. There needed to be determination behind the hunt. Without it the hunters would just be food for the Talderian cats.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

[Quest] A Simple Game of Cat and Hunter

Postby Fenilen on December 5th, 2010, 10:50 pm

Today was more important than any day prior in the boy's life. Today was the day where he completed the mission he had been assigned by the Valintar, the day that he would complete his work so that he could return to his home and family. Given the importance of today, he had hurriedly purchased supplies for the journey. An empty book, five vials of ink, and two feather quills. On top of these, he had purchased a satchel, one that was worn over one shoulder and slung around so it was on his opposite hip. Within the leather satchel laid the aforementioned items, vials of ink corked and quills carefully placed. Perfect.

The Inarta was wrapped tightly in his Katinu, his bow and quiver criss-crossing over his back. Upon his left hip was his talon sword, cleaned and carefully maintained. If it weren't for the fact that the boy didn't have a scrap of muscle on his bones, he might have even looked like a warrior! Cautiously, he crept across the Hold, approaching the collected group of Hunters. From within the folds of his Katinu came a letter, which was gently extended to the apparent leader of the hunt.

In a simple tone, he introduced himself. "Greetings. I am Fenilen Ruin, brother of Emory and Nyali, son of Maverick, Guest of the Skyglow Hold," he said, bowing ever so slightly. "Vannis has directed me to accompany you on this expedition, for learning purposes," Fenilen's green eyes darted up to meet the woman's. Every little bit of his body told him to flee, told him that each and every one of these hunters could be allied with Them, but his head told him better. Logic won the battle-- but barely, and so the boy remained there, silent, ignoring the voices that screamed that They were all around him.

Instead, his eyes looked over the apparent leader of the hunt. He wasn't sure what it was, but something about her seemed to pull him in, draw him into memories of his old home. Brief images of close friends and closer family flashed before his eyes. Sairque, Aidara, Emory, Maverick, Nyali! Those five images! Why did they haunt him so, every day of his life? He shut them from his mind, instead focusing on the youthful, beautiful Vantha before him. At least she didn't have red hair. He would probably go even further down the road of insanity if she did, considering she would be added to that painful list of flashing images.

"By the way, I will be making notes on this hunt. I won't get in way of anyone, promise," he said simply in his poor common, folding his hands over his chest as he silently awaited the judgment of the woman before him.
Fenilen
Give Me Your Warmth!

Words: 144782
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ian on December 7th, 2010, 5:09 pm

After asking many people around for directions Ian believed that he had finally manage to find the group of people called together for the hunt. With his eyes searching the group of people for the one described as Keriay he boldly walks forward "I have been told that a woman by the name of Keriay are rounding up people for a hunt in to the waste!” With a short pause he continues “Tell me, have I come to the right place?

Now with the attention drawn to him he awaits for an answer. Hopefully this time it would be the right group…

OOCI guess that Ian and Fenilen didn't arrive at the exact same time. Thus acting as Fenilen had already been allowed with them or denied and not meant as Ian disrupting Fenilen as he speaks to Keriay.
Ian
Mercenary

Words: 6195
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2010, 2:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Sage Eleanor on December 8th, 2010, 12:37 am

Sage fidgeted about nervously, constantly pulling at her jacket as she strode toward the small group, stopping short at the outskirts where few people were scattered. Her arms were posed close and in front of her petite body, a small finger lay across her pale lips, which quivered with apprehension. She stood quite still, her eyes looking around frantically for a friendly face.
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic6948.htmlLink to Rosa Magpie Thief of the North character sheet.
Sage Eleanor
Player

Words: 3941
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2010, 4:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Elise on December 9th, 2010, 2:45 am

Elise approached the group of people on horseback. Her steed Mito stamped his feet against the snowy ground arrogantly until the girl patted his side in warning. The white horse stopped and let out a snort as Elise rolled her eyes and brushed the snow from her dark cherry bangs. Her golden eyes scanned the group cautiously before she dismounted. Attentive hands tethered the white stallion to a nearby post but all the while she kept her mistrusting eyes on the group.
Elise groped around in the saddle bags for a few dried apples and stored them in her pockets before unbuckling her scythe and strapping to her back. Then reaching into the saddlebags once more she pulled out a handful of feed and offered it to Mito who ate it happily. She patted the horse’s nose lovingly and walked over to the group quietly. Looking around at the mingle of faces Elise began to relax a bit and pulled out an apple to munch on. This could be interesting, she thought.
Elise
Player

Words: 1096
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Postby Cheshire on December 9th, 2010, 3:24 am

Comment: Although I am very happy to see everyone interested in the thread I would like to see a little more writing. I would like to see at least a paragraph of writing. Also, please post your CS if you have not already. You cannot thread without it. Thank you and happy hunting :)
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Aamu on December 11th, 2010, 6:04 pm

Today was the day, and Aamu was in high spirits ever since she got up. Today she would get to hunt with Keriay. For someone outside of the Frostfawn hold, that may not have been such a big thing, but for someone like this girl, it was huge. Keriay was one of the best hunters in the hold, and with Frostfawns being mostly hunters, that was quite an accomplishment. One day she wanted to have someone like Keriay for her rival, but for now, she could settle for this woman to tutor her in ways she was yet to master.

It really was kind of scary to see someone as mighty as the one who was leading them today asking for help. Still, Aamu figured that it was a good chance to get some revenge for her dad, as well as getting some good reputation on her name. There was also the payment, that could prove to be quite enjoyable, if the hunt was successfull that is.

It was quite a cold morning that day in the wastes; Not that it was ever warm this far north, but the wind that was blowing made the young girl shiver a bit from time to time. Still it was not enough to make her doubt her wish to join the hunt, not even by a long shot.

After walking for some time, she reached what seemed to be a hunting party only to almost have eyes pop out of her skull. Many of them were... they were... well... weak. Why did so many incompetents join the hunt? Could they actually make it with such a shabby looking company? Not giving herself enough time to think it through, she quickly rushed to Keriay. As she was close, she pounced hugging the woman while shouting: „Keriay“. She was childish that way, and besides she had always liked strong people.

As she got away from the woman, she realised that her approach was a bit awkward, so she tried to ease the tension a bit. Not that she would ever say HER way was the wrong way of doing things, but still... this could have been done better. „So when do we start?“ Aamu exclaimed in a playfull tone that seemed to echo a bit further than she originally wanted it to.
Aamu
A legend in my mind xD

Words: 17599
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2010, 1:13 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Kulde on December 11th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Kulde Frostfawn, 20 years old hunter. Hoping to one day join the ranks of the ice watch to protect the lands he held dear. He was not the type to back down from any physical challenge. Be it hunting or taming a wild animal. He jumped into it with his whole heart in it. What Kulde lacked in social skills, he tried to make up for with his actions. So when Keriay came looking for hunters, Kulde stepped up to the challenge.

He knew he was a good enough hunter to be able to hunt alongside Keriay, he was far from as good as her, but he wouldn't be completely hopeless either. Or at least that was what he hoped. For ever since his accident with Viktor, he had doubted himself. Always being afraid that when the arrow left his bow, that it might strike a kelvic creature in their animal form. It was a recurring nightmare of his. Something that he had had a couple of sleepless nights over.

Kulde walked around gathering his stuff. A composite short bow, the same bow that he always used for hunting. A precious thing for him. A quiver with 39 arrows in it, a dagger hidden under his white cloak and then to the last piece of his hunting equipment. His spear. For those occasions that the arrows didn't strike true and the fierce animal got too close. With that and his backpack packed, he left for the gathering of hunters. Expecting either to be considered a young naive fool among old grizzled veterans.

Imagine his surprise when he saw that many of the people gathered, were around his age, more surprisingly, there was only on of them, beside Keriay that he could recognize from his hold. Without saying a word he just found a quiet corner and awaited instructions.
Kulde
The Cold

Words: 20884
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2010, 1:02 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on December 12th, 2010, 5:48 pm

It was a surprise to see how many people showed up for the hunt. It cam as even bigger of a surprise that most of them were younger! "Of course the younger hunters would show up. The hunters still do not believe I can lead." She grumbled as she walked. Beside her a Zypherian sled dog trotted happily. This dog had been her hunting partner for about five years now and she never went hunting without her. "Sienna, we have our work cut out for us here. I hope these people can hunt." Sienna was Keriay's dog and she had a strange habit of talking to her although the dog could not talk back.

The Frostfawn approached the gathered hunters, or at least hunters-to-be, flanked by three hunters. All three were men and a bit older than Keriay except one who was a year or two younger. "Are you sure they are ready for this?" The men were whispering amongst themselves as they approached the group. Keriay ignored them. There was no use in indulging in their meaningless chatter. She instead she looked toward the group assembled. There were a few that she recognized from town. Fenilen was one of them. How could one miss a head of fiery red hair among the strikingly white snow and the mess of dark haired people. Out of hold respect Keriay approached Aamu first for she was the only one out the two Frostfawn gathered that greeted her. "Hello Aamu! I am very pleased to see that you came! It will be good to have another Frostfawn lady out here with me. I trust you brought your shortbow?" Keriay smiled at Aamu. She was very happy the woman chose to come along. She had a personality similar to her own although it was very clear at times Aamu was much more stubborn. "We will head out after I greet the others assembled. Friendliness within the team is always helpful out in the wastes. I don't want any disgruntled hunters."

Next Keriay walked over to the Inarta. She had been looking forward to speaking to the fire haired man. It was not every day a visitor from Wind Reach came to Avanthal. "Hello Fenilen! You must be some master of your craft to be a guest of Skyglow! I swear, you need to be born into that hold just to look at Vannis. Don't tell Vannis of course! Kayin would have a few choice words for me if he knew I was talking about the... more proud attributes of the Skyglow leader. So tell me, what is your craft? Are we lucky enough to harbor an Inarta Glassblower?" As Keriay spoke with the man Sienna sniffed his legs and walked circles around him. He still clung to a bit of his Wind Reach scent, smokey and a bit bird like. To a Vantha the smell would have been nonexistant but to the nose of a dog, or even a kelvic on that note, the smell still lingered. After she was done circling she wagged her tail and jumped on the Inarta's chest with her snow covered paws with a bark. "Sienna! No, down!" With a yank on the scruff of Sienna's neck the dog retured to her place on the snowy ground. "Sorry about her. She still acts like a puppy at times. Feel free to take notes. I would like to see a little of at Inarta archery skill, that is if you are an archer."

From behind Keriay she heard her name spoken. She turned to see a man looking a bit lost. "I am Keriay. If you are here for the hunt then you have come to the right place. We are just about to head into the Wastes. Are you ready to head off? I am about to address the group so get ready. It will be rough out there!" With that comment Keriay walked forward and stood in front of the people assembled for the hunt. "Hello everyone! I know I have spoke to some of you and some I know from my own hold." Keriay shot a smile at Aamu and Kulde at the mention of their common kinship. "For those of you that I have not had the pleasure of meeting, I am Keriay Frostfawn of the Frostfawn hold. I have been hunting for a good majority of my life and I intend to much longer after this hunt. As I hope most of you know, the hold of Frostfawn breeds hunters and masters of animals and I am no exception. I perceive that everyone will be safe under my watch although I cannot save those who are careless. The best have died in the Wastes along with the worst. No one is completely safe. If you want to be, stay home. This is your last chance to leave. The land out there is cold and barren. There are few, if any trees to block the winds and there will be times when you cannot see your own hand in front of your face. It is colder than you can imagine and if you are not properly covered by furs and clothing you will die. The animals are large. You are going to wish these animals were dire. The animal's we have here are Talderian, that is much bigger than dire animals. They are strong, they are territorial, and usually they are starving. These animals can kill you with one paw if they feel the need." Keriay's face was serious and there was not even a flicker of the kind personality she had been showing off a few chimes prior. "If you leave the group while we are out there you are on your own. While we are walking you will need to rely more on your sense of hearing than your sense of sight. For our kelvics, your sense of smell will be greatly coveted. As for our formation, I will be in the front with two of my hunters on each side and one in the back. I would like to have a kelvic at my side if anyone would like to step up to the challenge. I will need your sense of smell to direct us toward the snow leopards. Of course, this will also put you at the head of the hunting party, thus putting you in more danger. I would like our weaker members in the center of the party while the stronger surround them. Now if we are all ready to go, lets head off."
They said I'd be a gem.
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Sage Eleanor on December 14th, 2010, 2:43 am

Listening intently the young girl shuttered slightly at the thought of the monstrous animals, and impulsively took a step backward. Her mind told her that menace awaited and death himself would be shadowing their every move. Sage peeked behind her as if the grim figure was truly there and not her imagination. Terror raised in her throat forcing her to choke softly to relieve the tension in her muscles. Her heart on the other hand ached to prove herself, to overcome her alarm and panic and to achieve something worthwhile.

Her next judgment was to naturally find a way to survive, her eyes skittered around the group, searching for anyone who looked friendly enough and strong. The more likely they were to survive the more likely she was too, if she allied herself with them. She scuffled along, her mind working vigorously, trying to sort out whom and how she could contribute to the other person. Sage stopped short when her eyes caught sight of the fiery haired man that had spoken earlier.

What had he said? Something about notes…I think, Sage thought. Slowly she made her way over to him, in her mind he was an ideal individual. While he would be taking notes on the hunt his awareness might be lower than usual, with having to focus on the writing, he would be a bit vulnerable. Though she was well aware her judgment could be completely wrong. Her sense of smell and hearing would prove fair warning to him should the beast come near. And he must be strong, with that sword of his… and with that her face seemed to perk up a bit.

She approached the dappled cheeked man properly, giving him a slightly higher respect than she would give most upon first meeting, mostly due to the fact that he could write, which was a highly admirable quality to her. He was generously taller than she, which didn’t bother Sage in the least. She looked him straight in the eye and said a firm yet soft, “Hello.”
http://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic6948.htmlLink to Rosa Magpie Thief of the North character sheet.
Sage Eleanor
Player

Words: 3941
Joined roleplay: December 7th, 2010, 4:29 am
Character sheet

Next