Gadgeteering Question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Gadgeteering Question

Postby Tillie Brewer on February 20th, 2016, 1:25 pm

So I had a quick question concerning weapon modification.

So it states clearly that you can start building siege weapons at tier three, expert level. I am getting the vibe that it's like building something never before seen from scratch.

But what about modifications to an existing weapon?

Like could you put a scope on a siege crossbow? Or would you be limited to say putting said spyglass on a heavy crossbow until you reach expert level.
Tillie Brewer
Player

Words: 11870
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Gadgeteering Question

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 20th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Considering siege weapons and such are a, relatively speaking in Miza terms were all tech is rare to an extent, a well established and invented thing, I wouldn't say L3 is the equivalent of making things never before seen.

L3 is where you can in turn make either much bigger things, which is when said siege weapon sized weapons becomes possible, or much smaller and miniaturized and more complex items can be made. Most of these would be things you'd seen or heard of before, and know can be made. Your just making them bigger or smaller than before.

I would think making crazy or innovative things is more in the realm of L4.

That being said, I don't think "inventing" a crossbow scope would be such a crazy or innovative idea. You see a spyglass, see a crossbow, and think, "Oh, what if I slapped them together?" Not really so crazy, and so likely possible at lower levels.

However there is a difference between having a spyglass slapped onto a crossbow, and having a working and functional(useful) scope that actually allows you to aim better at longer distances. Just sticking a far seeing device onto a weapon doesn't do that.

That, making it functional in that way, is what would likely "in my mind" take a higher level gadgeteer(possibly L3 or L4), along with trial and error and a firm understanding of how both contraptions work.

You'd likely need to know how to make both, and you'd need to be able to make unique variations on them for the desired effect, as the standard copies of either likely wouldn't do, as they aren't made for this. You'd end up with a unique instance of each item, which can be put together for the specific desired effect.
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on February 20th, 2016, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Gadgeteering Question

Postby Syri Morphgaze Terras on February 20th, 2016, 4:47 pm

There are a lot of ways you can justify it if you must. Learning under an expert gadgeteer, studying siege weaponry in Syliras, divine inspiration (Harameus, Izurdin) or research and genius, someone like Leonardo Da Vinci.
Syri Morphgaze Terras
Player

Words: 2415
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2016, 8:20 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Gadgeteering Question

Postby Tillie Brewer on February 20th, 2016, 5:33 pm

Exactly, so it's just a matter of evolution as you start creating innovations to the original design from mounted spy glass to accurate sighting scope.
And one size wouldn't fit all as say a light crossbow has less range then say a heavy or siege crossbow therefor the differences in distance would drastically alter the bars on the crossbow scope as the pitch would be different on all three.

Thank you both for your helping me out on that, when I start Gadgeteering I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Tillie Brewer
Player

Words: 11870
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2016, 1:16 pm
Character sheet