Closed Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Alex visits the fighting pit and unleashes a torrent of anger, perhaps someone can stem the tide?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 19th, 2016, 7:26 am

65th Winter 515AV

10:00AM

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

Alex stepped through the city, the heavy snow fall finally beginning to fall by the wayside as the biting scathing wings whipped through the core of the city chilling any poor soul caught out in it to the very bone in moments. Alex stepped through the streets his form standing taller but not as proud nor strong as usual. He was mad at himself, he was furious with himself for what had happened but, he did feel pride for allowing the knights to raid that ship and save many souls. He needed to hit something. He needed to vent the pent up frustration at himself. His left hand gripped around the handle of his sword. The sheer mass of blades over him terrifying to those who didn’t know him and fearful more still to those who knew he was a member of the knights.

Alex stepped up to the edge of the pits. He didn’t step into it rather jumped. His legs straining and near buckling under the sheer weight of his armour. Ne needed dummies. He needed to hit something which wasn’t likely to fight back. He drew the live steel of his bastard sword the shining silvered steel glittering in the edge of the faint overcast light. His shield strapped to his other arm. He sank into stance, pressing his arms back in tight readying a live and simple set of singing strike and in a silent near noiseless fury he unleashed he anguish. He rippling and vibrating of the steel of hiss word as it shot up the blade and along his arm was near impossible to hold. He slammed his shield into the dummy treating it like a face he’d seen before. Treating it like the very anger he held inside. Fighting back against that urge to do damage, to cause harm. He wouldn’t let himself unleash this fury on people. He wouldn’t do that. But he needed to vent the pain, the anger, the loneliness, and the sheer abandonment.

Beneath the steel of his plate and chain his knuckles were white, the anger on his face plain for all to see. His arms were physically shaking not from exertion but from blinding anger. He slammed the shield into the dummy feeling it shift back a little and knowing that that arm was going to hurt in the morning bur right now he didn’t care. He bit in deep into the wood with the sword so deep that he had to at one point push his boot into the dummies chest in order to wedge the blade out.

It was a quiet fury which consumed him. Like a silent burning flame, no colour, no vibrancy. It was a anger imparted on him by his father. A fury he’d been heir too. As the torrent of violence began to ebb and flow away. He felt the sheer exertion creep up on him. A familiar burning in his chest and lungs like he’d felt back when digging people out and in the great storm three almost four years past. It felt like a failure to contain his baser instincts.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Terag on February 20th, 2016, 3:19 am

Terag awoke early in the day, just past dawn. Immediately he got up and got ready to leave, being sure to remember his cloak and his warfork as he left. Today he was going to train, something he felt that he got little time to do as it seemed that worked consumed his life. The exercise would be better for him. He tightened his cloak in around himself and held his warfork in his left hand as he walked out into the open air. The chill was immediate, but cold or not he continued on. First he got into a jog and took the long way to the fighter’s pit, using the jog as a warm up before he set to practice.

Once he made his way through the entrance, deciding not to be too flashy about making his way in, he immediately went to a free dummy. Not hard finding one since the sun had just come up over the horizon. His warfork’s shaft was cold in his hand as he switched it to his right hand. It was to be expected of polished wood, but it almost made him think it was made of metal. After a brief moment he shook the feeling from his mind, instead focusing on the dummy in front of him.

As he started to hum and after he fell into form, he slowly went through the movements he learned when he practiced with a short spear. Thrust, pull, thrust. Thrust, punch. Thrust, pull, cut. Slash, punch. The combinations continued. His work was somewhat sloppy as he adjusted to the new weight of his weapon. The way the blades balanced out the weapon still threw Terag off of his rhythm, against the rhythm he was humming. His warfork managed to catch one of the dummy’s arms for a moment, and after Terag pulled back the action gave him an idea. What if he used the weapon to catch a real opponent in that way, to grab them at the wrist or their blade from their hand. If he could learn it, it would be useful. The issue was that he definitely didn’t have the skill to catch a person’s arm or weapon. At least, not yet.

His thoughts were interrupted from a thud behind him. Terag turned to find a man clad in armor standing up from where he assumedly landed on the ground. He took a step back as the man seemed to moving towards him for a moment, and his body language didn’t show he was going to be nice. But, whatever was bothering the man seemed to not involve him as Terag watched as the man draw ab lade and hacked his way into another dummy. The man tore into it like the target was going to kill him if he didn’t, like his life depended on it. For a long moment Terag said nothing, debating on just walking away. Instead, however, he spoke up.

“Hey, are you alright? You in the armor and tearing into the dummy like none other? Got something against it, yeah? No need to tear into it like that, it is not going to fight you back. Be like the stone. Anger won't help you, at least you are not going to get anywhere with just a dummy.” As he spoke, loudly enough to hopefully make it to Alexander’s ears, Terag spun his warfork until the butt of the weapon was down. He set it down gently and leaned on his weapon as if it were a cane rather than a tool of destruction, though he was careful to keep his right hand on it and keep it between him and Alexander in the case that his words only proved to infuriate the man further.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 20th, 2016, 3:43 am

He heaved out a heavy breath now the steel in his hand falling to his side as the feeling of release washed over him. Alex was a man of peace but he couldn’t constrain the anger that ate at both him and the ones around him. He glanced skyward for a brief moment He was calmer but he could still feel that burning fire ringing in his sword arm, in his very soul. A voice cut through the silent frigid air. Alex’s head and only his head turned towards the source. A look of strange calm over him but a definite feeling of anger from him.

Alex’s eyes found the source of the gruffer voice. He didn’t need to tear into the dummy. And the voice was right anger wouldn’t help. Alex chuckled lightly and spoke in his usually soft and light voice. The words almost soothing despite the display he’d just put on. “I agree. Anger is the weapon of baser people. But I was taught long ago unless you vent it regularly, it will eventually consume you. Which is why I’ve turned this dummy…Into kindling.” He paused a moment looking back over to the dummy and wincing a little. “Though…I did probably go overboard a little. And sad to say, I’m not done yet.” He exhaled slowly turning to face the smaller isur male. “If the dummy isn’t enough to provide a suitable opponent. Perhaps you’d be willing to offer to help? After all I’d ask the pit master but he’s a little busy.”

Alex rose his shield in front of him placing the flat of his blade against the top of the shield. Live steel in his hands but then again by the same token the Isur had live steel as well. And a strange weapon he’d not had the opportunity to face off against. It looked similar to a two pointed short spear. Alex cocked his head to the side a little shifting his body around and presenting a sidelong stance towards him, eliminating a lot of the targetable area via the shield and his plate whilst keeping his availability to swing at him open. Perhaps Alex’s display of both intense violence and anger in order to keep himself focused and calm was a little much to scare someone. “The name’s Alexander.”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Terag on February 20th, 2016, 6:52 pm

He had to admit, for a brief moment he panicked. He hadn't expected that the man would want to fight him next, but Terag played it off as if that had been the expected outcome. "I am good to fight, though no killing me. I still need to make weapons in the morning, but a spar would be nice." He kept his forced smile for a moment longer as he pulled his warfork up out of the dirt and snow and turned it so the points were facing Alexander.

Terag pushed back his cloak so his arms could be free, his onyx arm stood out even more against the white of the snow. At least back home there was a chance his arm would blend in with the dark and he could get a surprise hit in. Here there would be no such luxury. He crouched slightly as he pulled his right arm, and the warfork, back. His left arm came up some, hand open and facing Alexander. It was a defensive posture in case the other man moved first.

For a long while there was nothing, except the sound of a few other dedicated men working at their skills around the pit. Terag watched Alexander for a long time. In the armor it was hard to tell anything, there would be no obvious tell what was going to happen. Not to mention, he would be at a disadvantage if he struck first, the other man had a shield where as Terag only had his arm. Invulnerable, but much smaller. When he could take the waiting no longer, and he hoped that him striking first might catch the other of guard, he thrusted forward with a twist of his body. He aimed for the man's upper right side, aiming to hopefully catch the man's arm or shoulder. His inexperience made it unlikely. All the same Terag followed through with his movements, and brought his left arm over his right to cover his face and upper arm with its protection.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 21st, 2016, 1:06 am

Patience. Something Alex had in spades. A hunter before becoming a knight, an archer his pray both monsters and animals. And given his stint in sunberth he knew how to handle himself in stressful situations. He also knew that the first one to crack and swing was the first one to lose his positioning. Terag’s strike came from a much lower position, but higher than one of the pycons. Meaning to Alex it was easier to deal with. The spear pointed fork punched forwards and the smaller Isur brought his arm up to shield himself. Looking more like moving stone than flesh. Alex shifted his shield to cover his body, letting the impact of the fork collide with his arm. The shifting of the shield in his grip. Alex grit his teeth using he momentum of the strike he slid his feet back planting his foot for a strong strike.

Alex slid the sword from the top of his shield over bringing it across to strike at Terag’s side beneath the protection of his arm and because of the positioning of his arm out of his gaze. If they blow connected it wouldn’t cut, rather it would sting like a burning impact. Alex had swung the blade flat side across. He wasn’t intending to harm Terag. No honour in hurting someone grievously a blunt impact however let them know where their defence was weakened. If the strike hit great if not, then Alex would have pulled back and reset his stance awaiting the next strike. “Well then, seems you’re one to attack without even giving a name. I mean I’ve a violent streak, but that’s just rude.” He smirked a little, less of an actual chastisement and more of a joking line. He simply assumed that his actions earlier set him on edge.

Either way after having hit or missed the strike and reset to a default stance Alex would attack now. He swing his sword out as the direct attack, and then in a subtle motion stepped in with the opposite foot closing the distance and preforming a hard shield bash with his other arm. The sword strike fully a feint but no-one could discount live steel. His many spars with the other squires having taught him what he needed to know.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Terag on February 22nd, 2016, 2:23 am

Terag grunted as he felt his weapon hit metal, striking against Alexander’s shield. Unfortunately, he had been too committed to his strike and was unable to stop the strike that followed. Thankfully there was no cut, however he still felt the blow as the flat of a blade met his side and immediately begin to sting. As soon as he could Terag took a step back, in an attempt to avoid further attacks. He knew how to use a short spear, which was similar to the warfork but the weighting was still messing up his stance somewhat as well as his attacks.

He chuckled before speaking back to the man, “You will have to excuse me. I tend to get a little over excited and fall into focus into the task at hand.” He made sure his stance was squared correctly again before continuing, “My name is Terag, I work over at The Ironworks as a weaponsmith. I do not get to go out often and I just cannot help but get lost in the moment. Bad habit of mine.” Ready again, Terag grew silent as he resisted the urge to hum under his breath again. He wasn’t skilled enough to be able to fight at a different tempo than what he sang, and with something so obvious he knew he’d be at a disadvantage if he did.

He believed the feint and took a step and raised his arm to block the incoming sword, he didn’t have the experience to guess the man would throw a feint and follow up with a shield bash and Terag paid for that mistake. He was pushed back by the shield a couple of steps. It took him a half count to reset his stance and immediately he responded. First a thrust for Alexander’s left shoulder in an attempt to get him to throw up his shield, or at least an attempt to get that reaction. Than he took a step forward and to the left to try to step to the side of the shield and followed his strike with his fist, aiming for the man’s center.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 22nd, 2016, 4:43 am

Both Terag and Alex had the same idea after the initial clash, to create space and the follow up clash was similar and fell in Alex’s favour. The shield collided with Terag’s weapon arm. It was odd to fight against someone so much shorter than him but that arm. There was something special about it. As terag spoke Alex simply smiled he was fine with allowing a few missed opportunities. “Glad to see I’m not the only one who does that then.” A simple response to Terags first stamen but his follow up was something he didn’t expect. The shorter man was a smith. Perhaps one who’d crafted his sword? Either way Alex gave a small nod hidden behind his shield again.

Now Terag was on the attack again. A sharp stab to his left hand side. Alex as a little confused he’d stried a similar thing and was met with Alex’s sword before. Alex shifted his shield up to take the brunt of the impact with the centre of the shield and he opened up his stance to take a swing at terag’s side again. Only as he did to realize he’d made a large mistake. Terags onyx arm came bursting through the new gap and slammed straight into his gut. The steel creaking from the impact and Alex could feel his feet shifting out from beneath him. He slid backwards taking an instinctual step back to stay upright. What the heck was his arm made from? Even the steel seemed to want to yield to it. No wonder he didn’t have a shield that arm alone seemed more impressive than one.

“So…Two things” Alex stepped back and slipped back in stance. “First off, that was a hard punch…I felt that through my armour. Secondly what in the heck is your arm made of I could feel the steel wanting to buckle.” A small chuckle elicited from him. Alex slid his left foot back and took a large open swing, a wide strike hopeing to catch Terag off guard he then stepped in with his left foot and pushed the shield looking to pull off the same move again, but this was in fact a feint this time. The instep would twist his body bringing the large open arc to a very close stance And he’d hold the tip of his sword just above the shield pointing at Terag’s head. If this worked he’d have a kill position and Terag would have to back out. If it didn’t work then his sword and shield would be out the way leaving him open for a big counter.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Terag on February 24th, 2016, 5:36 am

Terag couldn’t help but smile, the punch connecting had felt good. The reaction made him feel even better. “Well good, if it was not hard it would not be useful. Right?” He chuckled a bit, glad that the man felt it through his armor. He had heard stories from his green armed brethren, about how with a well-placed punched that lesser armor couldn’t stand it. He had heard stories only, never seen any possibility that it could be true. His arm was definitely a blessing.

“As for what it is made of? I cannot tell you exactly, for I do not even know. It is a gift to our people. Our great father Izurdin blessed us with these arms when he made us, it is truly incredible. No?” With a smile Terag fell into stance once more before Alex went in for the swing. He was hesitant this time, as the last strike from the other man had been a feint. Rather than try to defend and counter Terag would take a step back and strike forward with his warfork to keep the distance between them. The attack fell against the other’s shield and bounced back, no ground gained but he managed to avoid to the faint.

It took him a moment too long but Terag attempted to capitalize on the opening that Alex had afterwards. Still feeling a bit too proud of himself he went in for a punch again, but due to his inexperience and range the punch was more than obvious. In an attempt to stop the man’s shield he thrusted his warfork forward again, not enough force to reach him but hopefully just enough to get on the inside of his shield arm and stop any quick movements from his left. Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment, Terag had completely forgotten there were other ways to stop a blow or dodge an attack. If, and more than likely when, his attack failed Terag would be left open this time rather than Alex.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 24th, 2016, 6:50 am

Well Terag had a point there if it wasn’t a hard strike there wouldn’t be much point to the strike, Still though he couldn’t quite wrap his head around the fact that the arm was a gift from the isur’s father. Izudin. One of the many gods he followed had given his “chosen race” a tool with which to propagate his theology. Patience and strength. Alex nodded lightly in response even after Terag had managed to deflect his strike. And had seen through the feint. Perhaps it wasn’t in Alex’s best interests to use the same move twice in a row.

As the two broke apart again and reset into their stances Alex flexed his fingers lightly around the grip of his sword. “Well it’s good to see that Izurdin cares about his people.” He smirked lightly. Stepping around Terag slowly, a simple technique to gain an advantage on position and disorient his opponent if they didn’t move. “Well whatever it is its incredibly hard as far as I can tell. That punch hit like a mace blow.” Before Alex could truly formulate a plan of attack Terag had closed the distance to his torso once again. Alex slipped his shield beneath the warfork to deflect the blow. As he did he could see the wide windup of Terag’s strike. Alex whirled his grip on the blade around and brought the length of the blade down to knock Terag’s had to the side. A wide open space between the two of them. Alex sought to return the favour from the punch and drove the pommel of his sword into Terags side again, the same spot he’d struck before.

He was opening up a sore spot which Terag would be forced to defend. If the strike worked it would be very painful, if not then the two would be locked into something resembling a grapple. And As heavy as Alex was from what he’d seen of Terag thus far, it was an educated guess that he was much stronger than him. Meaning that this close if the strike didn’t land, then Alex was beyond in a bad spot. If he could get out of it it would mean having to sacrifice his standing and his footing.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Onyx vs. Steel (Terag)

Postby Terag on March 6th, 2016, 7:58 am

Terag smiled at the man's comments. It was good enough to be able to have someone of a good nature to talk to, but the praise felt good as well. If his punches really did hit that hard than he would have to be sure to keep them up. Perhaps going without a shield definitely was the better choice, and he should practice it more. Though he didn't have much more time to think on the topic as he felt both of his attacks fail. He felt his warfork bounce uselessly against the man's shield, forcing it far enough to the side that the weapon was going to be useless for the events to come. His other arm met something similar as he felt it get forced to the side after being hit by a blade. There was no pain, but he felt his blow miss. That, and then the pain in his side much worse than before.

Due to his inexperience he hadn't realized there could be more of a follow up. Continuing to press on the offence didn't work if he left spots open like this. It was going to hurt, he was going to regret it, but he had to do something. Terag grit his teeth and tried to ignore the pain, with only a small amount of success. He had missed the opportunity for a grapple but he swung his left arm in anyways towards the man's shoulder, attempting to buy only a moment's worth of time. Even if it landed the blow wouldn't hurt much, as Terag was focused too much on his right arm and taking a step back. His warfork he brought back and tucked the haft against his body and under his armpit. Using that point a fulcrum, he took a step back and brought the spear across from top right to bottom left as a slash. Once back he tried to continue through with a long thrust, trying to hit Alexander with the tip of his weapon as the man was at the tip of his range.

Terag's movements were becoming slower. He had endurance in the forge, so his arms felt fine, but the cardio on his body and the effort on his legs were beginning to take hold. He was breathing heavily, and if Alexander looked he could see that Terag's lower body was beginning to shake. There was a fire in his eyes still, a will to fight. Although, his body might not be able to live up to, at least not this day. To bring his focus off his body he began to hum, letting the song fill the place where the weariness and pain were beginning to take hold, instead trying to focus on one of the religious hymns of his people. It worked, but all his movements from here would be to the rhythm of his song.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next